Gophers' Season Ends With A Thud In 6-1 Loss To BC

This is where the Home Page Articles reside

Postby Cardinal » Thu 4/05/12 10:30 pm

Photo by: Craig Cotner Not much help for Kent Patterson against Boston College. Much like the Air Force Academy and Minnesota Duluth two weeks ago, the Golden Gophers found out that Boston College, and particularly goalie Parker Milner, are quite good at hockey. After not allowing a goal in the Northeast Regional, the Gophers were at least able to get one puck past him but Eagles ended Minnesota’s season by a 6-1 score in the second of two Frozen Four semifinals on Thursday in Tampa, Fla.

The Eagles will move on to take on Ferris State, who upended Union by a 3-1 score in the other semifinal, in the National Championship game on Saturday night.

For much of the first two periods, the Golden Gophers outplayed the Eagles but were stifled each and every time by Milner, who extended BC’s winning streak to 18 games. Senior captain Taylor Matson had the Gophers best chance in the first period, but a cross-crease one-timer was stopped by Milner’s left pad.

Unlike the Gophers, BC was able to take advantage of its scoring chances, which started early in the first as a odd-man rush by Minnesota was disrupted and the Eagles transitioned the puck up the ice for a three-on-two rush which was finished by Steve Whitney at 6:03 of the first period.

BC would double its lead at 6:35 of the second period thanks to a power play goal by Kevin Hayes that came after a soft call on Nate Schmidt for hooking. The Gophers nearly got the puck out by the Eagles held the zone, made a great cross-ice pass and Hayes went top-shelf on Kent Patterson to make it 2-0.

Shortly after Minnesota’s best scoring chance – Jake Hansen was all alone in front but couldn’t bury it – the wheels came off for the Gophers as the Eagles scored twice in the final two minutes of the second period to put the game away. Junior Chris Kreider and senior Paul Carey scored for the Eagles, who put the game out of reach heading into what would be the final period of Minnesota’s season.

Hansen was able to score Minnesota’s lone goal early in the third period, but the Eagles would quickly answer to keep the game firmly in-hand for the duration.

Photo by: Craig Cotner Don Lucia talking about the loss. Despite this thumping by the Eagles, who have been the best team in the nation the last three months, the Gophers have no reason to hang their heads. After missing out on the NCAA Tournament the last three seasons, they returned to being an upper-echelon program this season by going wire-to-wire in the WCHA to win the MacNaughton Cup, and returned to the Frozen Four for the first time since 2007.

And the future of this program is certainly bright, though losing the likes of Patterson and Matson won’t be easy. Hopefully the early departures are minimal (anyone who watched Nick Bjugstad play over the final two months would concur that he’s nowhere close to being ready for the NHL) and if that’s the case, this team should be one of the favorites in the WCHA next season, which of course is the last in the conference’s current form before the college hockey world is turned upside down in 2013-14 with the Big Ten Hockey Conference and National College Hockey Conference taking shape.

In the end, this Gopher team got everything they could out of this group of kids – who were predicted to finish in the middle of the WCHA – and if nothing else left the program in far better shape than it looked like they would 12 months ago.
Cardinal
Golden

Re: Gophers' Season Ends With A Thud In 6-1 Loss To BC

Postby mjarz02 » Thu 4/05/12 10:45 pm

Thank you gophers! I had such a great time spending Fridays and Saturday's watching games at mariucci. The Omaha trip was one of the best sports road trips I have ever been on. It's sad to end this way, but these memories will be around for a long time. The program is back and I'm counting the days til next year. This is my first year on GPL and the passion within this commubity is like no other. We will be back and championships are coming our way very soon. Go Gophers!
mjarz02
Golden

Postby pevan » Thu 4/05/12 10:56 pm

Thanks to the seniors especially Mattson, Hansen and Patterson for restoring Minnesota's Pride on Ice. I've never seen a more dejected group than the team was after last year. To bring this program back from that point was incredible. Thanks for a fantastic season!
pevan

Postby brianvf » Thu 4/05/12 11:05 pm

Ryan Cardinal wrote:(anyone who watched Nick Bjugstad play over the final two months would concur that he’s nowhere close to being ready for the NHL)

Unfortunately, that's never stopped players from signing.
Good season, Gophers.
brianvf
Rookie

Postby Golden FE Ranger » Thu 4/05/12 11:23 pm

brianvf wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:(anyone who watched Nick Bjugstad play over the final two months would concur that he’s nowhere close to being ready for the NHL)

Unfortunately, that's never stopped players from signing.
Good season, Gophers.

Very true. Hopefully uncle Scott talks him in to staying.

Btw, thanks for the post, brianvf. :good2:
Golden FE Ranger
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Thu 4/05/12 11:31 pm

Ryan Cardinal wrote: (anyone who watched Nick Bjugstad play over the final two months would concur that he’s nowhere close to being ready for the NHL)

Pretty reactionary statement after the kind of year he had Cardinal. Do you really believe this or were you venting?

If he leaves he'll put up 15 - 20 goals next year for the Panthers.
Bushwood Gopher
Legend

Postby brianvf » Thu 4/05/12 11:34 pm

Golden FE Ranger wrote:Btw, thanks for the post, brianvf. :good2:

Tough way for a season to end. Sioux fans are all too familiar with season-ending losses to the Eagles in the F4.
Hopefully the western teams can find a way to beat those speedy midgets sometime soon. Maybe on Saturday. ;)

But the Gophers have nothing to hang their heads about...heck of a season from a team that wasn't given much of a chance during the pre-season. I have a feeling they'll be dangerous in years to come yet again.
brianvf
Rookie

Postby Six Hole » Thu 4/05/12 11:35 pm

I've watched Bjugstad all season -- he's absolutely ready to take the next step. NHL evaluators, not GPL rubes, will likely have the most impressionable opinion.

I prefer the Calipari method to early departures: if a guy is ready, encourage for HIS future rather than discourage for one's own self interests. Like it or not, college sports are a business.
Six Hole
Super Vet

Postby Six Hole » Thu 4/05/12 11:37 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote: (anyone who watched Nick Bjugstad play over the final two months would concur that he’s nowhere close to being ready for the NHL)

Pretty reactionary statement after the kind of year he had Cardinal. Do you really believe this or were you venting?

If he leaves he'll put up 15 - 20 goals next year for the Panthers.

Exactly.

Rube cred to Cardinal for thinking this story might keep Bjugstad here, but dumb premise. Kid's beyond ready.
Six Hole
Super Vet

Postby gosiouxgo » Fri 4/06/12 12:10 am

I highly doubt Bjugstad will score 15-20 for the Panthers next season if he signs. Most players don't jump right in. I think the same will go for Brock Nelson. The only thing that would be a factor to this is if in fact Bjugstad's injury earlier in the year is what is impeding him now. I think it might be. Still when a player leaves early wish them luck and wave with a smile. Just be pleased you had that talent on your team as long as you did.

I thought this game might turn out the way it did. The gophers though a highly talented team in my opinion might have achieved as much as they should have. Yes they won the WCHA (deservingly so) but the other best teams this year were very down with injuries. I think a lot of the gophers success was a correlation of very good play and some lesser than usual competition within their own conference.

That being said BC is very very good this year and right now. Things might have been different if the goph's had scored the first one but they didn't. I'd say this is no reason to hang your heads as fans and I don't think you're doing so. The gophers will be there next season with force I'm sure. Good luck next season just maybe not too much.
gosiouxgo

Postby Dolphin275 » Fri 4/06/12 12:21 am

gosiouxgo wrote:I highly doubt Bjugstad will score 15-20 for the Panthers next season if he signs. Most players don't jump right in. I think the same will go for Brock Nelson. The only thing that would be a factor to this is if in fact Bjugstad's injury earlier in the year is what is impeding him now. I think it might be. Still when a player leaves early wish them luck and wave with a smile. Just be pleased you had that talent on your team as long as you did.

I thought this game might turn out the way it did. The gophers though a highly talented team in my opinion might have achieved as much as they should have. Yes they won the WCHA (deservingly so) but the other best teams this year were very down with injuries. I think a lot of the gophers success was a correlation of very good play and some lesser than usual competition within their own conference.

That being said BC is very very good this year and right now. Things might have been different if the goph's had scored the first one but they didn't. I'd say this is no reason to hang your heads as fans and I don't think you're doing so. The gophers will be there next season with force I'm sure. Good luck next season just maybe not too much.

I don't know if the wcha was down this year or not. I would have to disagree with the lesser competition. They pretty much breezed through the region, along the way handling Boston university fairly easily. ( who at one time was the #1 team in the country for a couple of weeks, if I remember right )They were the better team tonight for the first 30 minutes, BC the other 30 minutes, and BC just capitalized on there chances. We out shot them, and had more scoring chances, but the saying goes, a hot goaltender will take you far. BC has that..
Dolphin275
Golden

Postby streakygopher » Fri 4/06/12 12:28 am

Even Melrose, who wets his pants every time he does color for BC, had to say that MN was the better team for the first period and half the second. Plain and simple, MN did not score and did not play good defense tonight...and the result is staring them in the face 6-1.
streakygopher
Golden

Postby ex_goldy » Fri 4/06/12 12:40 am

Announcers called Lucia Lucy-a, and Condon Gordon. What in the crap are they doing using nhl guys for college hockey? Melrose puckering up and kissing minnesota's ass, what was that about? He's never liked the gophers. The hockey announcers on espn are great at what they know but they don't know college hockey. Where was the BU terriers announcer? He's so biased, he's great! Like Sonmor for the Gophers. Bjugstad was over hyped. He had some great hockey this year but he slowed way down. I attribute it to knowing he's done after this year. Seen it before from Rassmusson and others. Maybe his injury made him tentative, I wouldn't blame him. I will always say no matter who it is, if you have your shot you take it. If the pro's call, you better go. There's no guarantees on tomorrow.
ex_goldy
Golden

Postby Dolphin275 » Fri 4/06/12 1:04 am

ex_goldy wrote:Announcers called Lucia Lucy-a, and Condon Gordon. What in the crap are they doing using nhl guys for college hockey? Melrose puckering up and kissing minnesota's ass, what was that about? He's never liked the gophers. The hockey announcers on espn are great at what they know but they don't know college hockey. Where was the BU terriers announcer? He's so biased, he's great! Like Sonmor for the Gophers. Bjugstad was over hyped. He had some great hockey this year but he slowed way down. I attribute it to knowing he's done after this year. Seen it before from Rassmusson and others. Maybe his injury made him tentative, I wouldn't blame him. I will always say no matter who it is, if you have your shot you take it. If the pro's call, you better go. There's no guarantees on tomorrow.

I don't care for Melrose, he does have the east coast bias going.
Why does he hate the Gophers? I've often wondered that.

As far as going pro. I somewhat disagree with you. yes, you have the chance take it, but then yet, if your going to be stuck down in the minors, ( Not saying Bjugstad will be ) why not come back another year, then go. Your also that much closer to your degree, if things don't work out in the pros, at least you don't have many classes left.
Nothing like being stuck in the minors for 3, 4, 5 years, realizing your never going to make it, knowing that you probably need to go back to college.
I think I heard Lucia say one time, it's a lot easier coming back knowing you only got a year left, then 2 or 3 to get your degree.
Dolphin275
Golden

Postby Greyeagle » Fri 4/06/12 8:00 am

Damn BC is good. They never, ever, are caught standing still with the puck and their passing is amazing. Add in some amazing goaltending to make up for some defensive lapses and they are very solid. Defiately one of the best college puck teams I've seen in a long time and play the type of game I like to watch.....too bad it was against MN. :( :)
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri 4/06/12 8:39 am

very proud of the boys they brought the PRIDE ON ICE back and the fun back to MARIUCCI.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby gosiouxgo » Fri 4/06/12 9:03 am

If you don't think the WCHA was a bit down? Your #1 rival didn't even have a full line up the entire second half of the year. UMD was underperforming at the end of the year. Denver was also very injured. St. Cloud and CC were also underperforming. Where was perennial powerhouse Wisco? All of the teams were okay. But none of these teams were playing up to their potential talent wise due to absences in their lineup or missing players from last year and so on.

Congrats to the Gophers once again on a very good season. They earned what they could and lost to a better team. If the Sioux would've made it to the semifinals I don't think we would have seen much of a different game. Watching the game the gophers definitely won the first period but certainly not the second. The gophers did carry the play at points but couldn't keep it going once BC ironed things out in the second. The game could have been 2-1, 3-1 gophers after the first but it wasn't and will never be. BC missed some of their chances in this game as well. The truth is BC didn't play to their potential in the first and the Gophers did.

See you guys twice next year maybe for the last time.
gosiouxgo

Postby pevan » Fri 4/06/12 9:46 am

I hate to say it, but Bjugstad's gone. Dad and Uncle Scott have said publicly they'd like to see him stay, but if the NHL drops a bag of cash at your feet, you gotta go. He'll be in the NHL by the mid season.
Haula's the one to watch, not for the AHL, but for the Kontinetal league. His dad is trying to launch a sports agency in Finland, and doesn't understand the value of college hockey. Who better to put your name on the map than your son.
pevan

Postby theskillz » Fri 4/06/12 10:38 am

Great season, guys. Nothing to hang your heads about. It's nice to be back.

I won't add anything that's already been said..

Humorous moment from last night's call by Gary Thorne and Barry Melrose..

In the second period, Gaudreau received a pass at the Gopher blueline on the left side and as two defenders approached him, he softly laid up a nice pass to another BC player about to enter the zone with speed.

I can't remember the exact wording, but Thorne basically said it was an amazing drop pass. Then a few moments later Melrose or Thorne (can't recall which one) discussed how Gaudreau has "eye's in the back of his head."

A couple of problems with that...

1. It wasn't a drop pass.
2. Gaudreau was facing the guy he was passing the puck to.

I also thought it was funny that in the first period, when BC barely had any shots or chances, they had a few seconds in our zone. The puck was moved back to the point for a shot that was easily stopped by Patterson. That was called "putting on a show" by Thorne.

:)
theskillz
Golden

Postby DrunkHockeyGuy » Fri 4/06/12 10:47 am

Those guys are a hell of a team. Really nothing to be ashamed about. Felt like I was watching our game again.
DrunkHockeyGuy
Lifer

Postby Greyeagle » Fri 4/06/12 10:51 am

DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:Those guys are a hell of a team. Really nothing to be ashamed about. Felt like I was watching our game again.

I thought so too....was like Déjà vu all over again.
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri 4/06/12 12:44 pm

we all should be proud of the boys. they proved a lot of people wrong. they gave us a lot of good moments this year. there was a lot of pressure on them to get the program back on track. the boys did a great job. i truly believe they can get to Pittsburgh next year. six good d-men back. good forwards. good talent coming in. unsure about the goal tending, but it should be ok. hopefully there won't be any early departures. hopefully this leaves a bad taste in Bjugstad's mouth that he will want to come back for another run at the big hardware. hats off to the squad. they brought the pride on ice back to where it belongs. good season. the future is bright.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby DrunkHockeyGuy » Fri 4/06/12 1:14 pm

I don't get it with Bjugstad. A lot of people are talking about needing him back to have a run. The guy is Blake Wheeler 2.0, just seems to not live up to the hype.
DrunkHockeyGuy
Lifer

Postby Golden FE Ranger » Fri 4/06/12 2:32 pm

DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:I don't get it with Bjugstad. A lot of people are talking about needing him back to have a run. The guy is Blake Wheeler 2.0, just seems to not live up to the hype.

Through the first half of the season, he was a force. Many times I watched him take over a shift. It seemed like he could not be seperated from the puck. Whether due to injury or other cause, he has not been able to maintain that the past couple months. I am guessing there is some sort of lingering injury.

As others have said, no shame losing to that BC team. They were solid throughout the lineup. I am amazed at their consistent ability to convert opportunities into goals. I can't imagine FS will be able to solve that riddle. They have been the best team since January, and though it often doesnt happen, it appears this year the best team in NCAA hockey will take the trophy.

Thanks to the seniors and to the rest of the guys for exceeding all expectations this year. We will wait anxiously for the next Gopher hockey game.
Golden FE Ranger
Golden

Postby wincav » Fri 4/06/12 3:15 pm

The Gopher Men's Hockey team is to be congratulated for a splendid season. No one would have guessed how well the season was going to turn out back in October. They ended up a top 4 team in all of division one men's hockey. Not bad. The Boston College team is to be congratulated. In the many years I have followed college hockey, what I saw from them was pretty impressive. BC is one of the best teams I have seen in a long time. The Gophers surprised a lot of folks with their season and it's sad to see the seniors leave as well. A special recognition to Taylor Matson for his leadership.
wincav

Postby jorgie » Mon 4/16/12 4:21 pm

For a team that was supposed to end up 6th in the WCHA I think they did great. :dup:
jorgie
Rookie

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Mon 4/16/12 4:35 pm

you got that right jorgie.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby Bladepuller » Mon 4/16/12 5:05 pm

I would say the 6th place prohjected finish was a reflection of how they underachieved the last 4 years. No team with ...17? ...NHL drafted players should finish 6th in the league.
I think they had a fine year and were beat by one of the better teams I've seen in my 4F experiances.
They certainly aquited themselves better than BU did against LSSU in "94. :shock:
Hopefully the same thing that happened for BU in '95 happens here, too. :confused2:
Bladepuller
Golden

Postby segoots14 » Tue 4/17/12 9:19 am

Cardinal,
If I ask nicely will you put up a different story? :dup:
Every day when I come to check out the forums I am left looking at the same crushing headline. Of course this is an entirely selfish request! :biggrin2:

Thanks!
segoots14

Postby thinkbui » Tue 4/17/12 3:18 pm

I don't mind seeing that headline all that much. The game wasn't as ugly as the score would indicate. Plus there's a whole lot of nothing to talk about right now.

I'm oddly actually getting some amusement out of it. One of my friends from high school had a bet with one of his BC friends, so now his Facebook profile pic is of him in front of a BC championship banner with a board that reads: "Boston College is the best team in the world. All other hockey teams are run by little girls."
thinkbui
Addict

Postby frozen4champs » Wed 4/18/12 5:40 pm

Walked in my local HY VEE and they are selling grills with team logos on them. The one they have displayed--- Boston College :ddown:
frozen4champs
Golden

Return to Home Page Articles