32 Likes
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2519
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jwg

Last season needs to be buried and forgotten. 

sick monty python GIF

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

Gophers win their season opener.

#4 Michigan State lost to James Madison last night at home.

Gophers are clearly at least the #4 team in the country 😉

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

One of my favorite games to play during the hockey and football games is guess the basketball early season opponent by the logo they put on the big screen. They never write out the school and Bethune-Coomman or Arkansas Pine Bluff do not have known logos. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6972
Post on old board: 18942

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gopher hoops win 102-77. Cam Christie makes his collegiate debut with great success. 18pts, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, making 4/6 3 point attempts. 

Ihnen had 20 and was perfect from the field including 5/5 from 3, and Garcia had 22.

Elijah Hawkins, probably the smallest guy on the team, led the team in rebounds with 10. 

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

Step one, beat these non-conference teams like you’re the NBA and they’re a HS team. 

So far so good. Says nothing about the season but doing what they need to early. 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

Step one, beat these non-conference teams like you’re the NBA and they’re a HS team. 

So far so good. Says nothing about the season but doing what they need to early. 

Their 3pt shooting and FT shooting last year was plain abysmal. So far both look much improved, albeit against poor competition (though FT shooting is FT shooting, regardless of opponent). 

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4379

Gopher hoops with an epic meltdown tonight

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3957
Post on old board: 9428

That, was bad. No bueno 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gophers lose 70-68 to Mizzou. Had a 68-67 lead with 30 seconds left and Christie's 3pt attempt was way deep. Mizzou rebounded and got the bucket and the foul on the other end. Christie had a deep 2pt shot to tie hit the front rim and the putback was short (and probably not in time).

Gophers led 59-39 with 12ish minutes left and couldn't buy a bucket down the stretch, and Mizzou made everything they threw at the hoop. 

Mizzou scored on like 13 of their last 20 possessions. Minnesota scored on about 5. 

That one is gonna sting for the boys. 

ReplyQuote
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1067
Post on old board: 29516

That was one festering turd of a game 

I can smell this one all the way out in GDO

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Didn't watch but looked at the stats - Gophers got crushed on both steals and turnovers which appears to be the difference in the game.

ReplyQuote
Delafield Gopher
(@delafield-gopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 64

I haven't been on Gopher Hole in probably 15+ years or so, but for some reason I did last night after the game.

I am now reminded why I never go back to Gopher Hole.  Yikes.

Forgive me, GPL. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @delafield-gopher

I haven't been on Gopher Hole in probably 15+ years or so, but for some reason I did last night after the game.

I am now reminded why I never go back to Gopher Hole.  Yikes.

Forgive me, GPL. 

I swear it's where people banned from commenting on Strib articles congregate.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dxmnkd316 reacted
ReplyQuote

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

Gopher women (3-0) host #8 UConn, Sunday @ 4:00 PM. Homecoming for Paige Bueckers. I'll be interested to see how they can hang with an elite squad. It will be a good measuring stick for new coach Dawn Plitzuweit. On FS1.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gophers working hard to lose this game tonight. Was up 21 and now only 11. 1 of 11 from the 3 point line this half.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gopher BBall down 6 against a 5.5 spread and San Fran. So, I guess that’s good. Holding their own I guess. 

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

That escalated quickly. Looks like another tough year ahead for this team. Got to within one and lost by 18. Free throw shooting 67%. Tell me if you’ve heard this story before. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I was hoping BJ would lead the team to a respectable showing this year, but this town has yet another coach that needs to lose his job.

ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Down 15 at half to Nebraska, Gophers come back to win 76-65 at home for their first BT game. Half way to their big ten win total last season

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy06

Down 15 at half to Nebraska, Gophers come back to win 76-65 at home for their first BT game. Half way to their big ten win total last season

Only allowed 26 2nd half points. Don’t know that Nebraska will compete with Purdue but any B1G win is big for MN. 

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Just a dominant second half for the Gophers last night. They got down big early after Garcia got hurt, but battled back and really flipped a switch in the second half. Felt kinda like the Ohio State game where OSU got up at one point 42-20 and Minnesota cut it to 6 with about 6 minutes left and then OSU hit back to back to back 3s to get separation again.

Carrington and the rest of the guards did a fantastic job against Keisei Tominaga, the Nebraska leading scorer. He didn't make a single field goal and only scored from the FT line. 

Hopefully the Garcia injury isn't severe. He landed funny last night in the first half and didn't play the rest of the game, which makes the comeback win even more impressive considering he's the best player on the team. The team and staff made some great adjustments to play without Garcia in the second half.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Another NC win today. But a nice margin of victory. 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GMBBall/status/1734771625323536480?s=20

Gophers with a dominant win tonight, 101-65 against IUPUI. Hawkins had 2 points and 17 assists as the team shot 63% from the field and made 14/28 3s.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

When do they play a Div I team?  ? 

ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

I believe they have been division 1 for a while! Smile

Didn't they beat Nebraska a week ago?

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy06

Posted by: @slap-shot

I believe they have been division 1 for a while! Smile

Didn't they beat Nebraska a week ago?

They did. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

You guys missing your sarcasm meters?  I was just making light of opponents such as:

B-CU, UTSA, USC Upstate, AR-Pine Bluff, FGCU and IUPUI. Never seen so many directions, acronyms and hyphens. ? 

ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2519
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

One of the years my youngest son was on a “combat” robotics team their national tournament was at IUPUI. Nice little campus in downtown Indianapolis.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gopher BBall wins tonight vs. Maine (a real D1 school) and has 10 wins on the season. Surpassing last year’s 9 total wins before the calendar turns to 2024. Also, has their first B1G win in early B1G play. 

who knows what happens from here but the team looks better and seems to have more complimentary play across the roster with more depth. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Are you going to run that cliche into the ground just like the last one?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

I mean anyone who has watched and has an IQ over 12 can see the team is better.  How much better remains to be seen but with a weak Big Ten who knows.

If I was a betting man I would say they are an NIT team which is way better than I thought going into the year.

gator and Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

MN losing to MI on the road, but not embarrassingly. Winning!

In other news, after playing 7 games for Louisville, former stand out MN recruit Dennis Evan’s has been ruled medically ineligible indefinitely. 

https://twitter.com/gopherhole/status/1743060904005292301?s=46&t=l9UyLQRbjMIIpJKijQ7z2Q

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gophers come back and win at MI. 

ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Gophers win on the road against Michigan 73-71

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Nice road win for the squad tonight. Hawkins and Mitchell have been a massive massive upgrade to the back court this season.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Good to see and hopefully a sign of better things to come. At least relatively speaking. I'd like to see Ben earn keeping his job rather than earn losing it.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gophers match their 22-23 B1G win total (2) on Jan. 4. Good sign. 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gophers come from behind to beat Maryland, snapping a 10 game losing streak to the Terps. Really solid game. Missed a couple FTs late to keep Maryland in it but overcame some pretty poor officiating late (particularly an egregious basket interference) to win 65-62

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

If they keep this up they might just be able to keep most of their bigger commitments for next year. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @beauner

Gophers come from behind to beat Maryland, snapping a 10 game losing streak to the Terps. Really solid game. Missed a couple FTs late to keep Maryland in it but overcame some pretty poor officiating late (particularly an egregious basket interference) to win 65-62

I only saw the second half but they completely outplayed Maryland because Reese was in foul trouble.  They also didn't panic when Maryland went to the full or 3/4 court press which was weird to see cause Tubby's Teams and Pitino's teams went deer in the headlights over it.

The officiating was hose[bleep].  The missed basket interference (dude grabbed the net) not only cost us points but cost Maryland a player as he fouled out like 4 seconds later.  Carrington (I think) was fouled on a three that they let go...each team got screwed on out of bounds calls at least once and the T on Hawkins was a bit of a quick trigger. (they missed him get hacked...a lot)  The refs looked lost and Johnson and Thorson really gave them an earful.

I am not sure how good this team actually is, obviously they are partially a product of a terrible NC schedule and a pretty down Big Ten but they do play smarter and they have some legit talent.  Hawkins is a legit PG is a pass first guy and drives the lane to give guys like Payne and Garcia easy buckets. (he leads the nation in assists...or at least did)  Carrington is going to be very good if he keeps working hard and Payne is a beast...minus his Shaq-like inability to shoot a free throw.  Unlike last year, if this team can keep that core (along with Christie and maybe Garcia) then next year they could be really good.  As it is, with how bad the Big Ten appears to be they could get to .500 in conference which, barring a win or two in the BTT won't likely get them into the NCAA tourny but will be NIT worthy and a massive imrpovement.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4379

Make. Your. Effing. Free. Throws. 

ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2304

Yeah I came here to comment the same thing. Badgers made their free throws. We didn’t. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5611
Post on old board: 16243

Still can’t believe the wisconSN coach had no clue that hanging on the rim and putting the ball in is a technical

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Yeah I came here to comment the same thing. Badgers made their free throws. We didn’t. 

WI - 80%
MN - 38.5%

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5611
Post on old board: 16243

By just making the technical free throw and the 2 shot free throw could have iced the game. 
Playing high school basketball, we practiced and practiced free throws or we ran. We were always one of the best free throw shooting teams in the district/division. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2304

Posted by: @bigbeer

WI - 80%
MN - 38.5%

I only saw the last 10-15 minutes of the game. I didn’t realize it was that bad. 

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

WI - 80%
MN - 38.5%

I only saw the last 10-15 minutes of the game. I didn’t realize it was that bad. 

80% is unrealistic, 38.5 is ridiculous 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

MN - 83

PSU - 74

MN flipped the script and was very good from the line down the stretch to seal the win.

It's a good day to be a Gopher!

Ice Hockey Celebration GIF by NCAA Championships

Minnesota Gophers Mascot GIF by Goldy the Gopher - University of Minnesota

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

MN - 83

PSU - 74

MN flipped the script and was very good from the line down the stretch to seal the win.

It's a good day to be a Gopher!

Ice Hockey Celebration GIF by NCAA Championships

Minnesota Gophers Mascot GIF by Goldy the Gopher - University of Minnesota

They were inbounding the ball to Garcia every possession they were gonna foul…smart. Came from 14 down at the half to win on the road. Nice win. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4