Totally Random Triv...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Totally Random Trivia: 2022

3,121 Posts
49 Users
114 Likes
24.5 K Views
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Friday, December 31

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday's email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Will Smith has appeared in three movies with one of his real-life children. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. In the novel “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” the tornado isn’t called a tornado. What is it called instead?

3. The longest-serving U.S. senator was Robert Byrd, who served in Congress from 1959 until his death in 2010. Which state did he represent?

4. After being clubbed in the knee in 1994, Nancy Kerrigan went on to win silver at Lillehammer. What skater bested her, becoming the first and only Ukrainian figure skater ever to win gold at the Olympics?

5. It’s New Year’s Eve. In the song "Auld Lang Syne," what will we drink a cup of yet?


   
Quote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

2. Twister

3. West Virginia


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

4. Oksana Bayul?


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

5. Kindness


   
ReplyQuote
Bladepuller
(@bladepuller)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 374
Rep Pts:: 374
 

Karlsson wrote:
5. Kindness

If ever there has been a time to do this, it is now.


   
ReplyQuote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

Zwak wrote:

4. Oksana Bayul?

Yes


   
ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 509
Rep Pts:: 751
 

1. "Pursuit of Happyness", "After Earth", and ????

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman


   
ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Brooks Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 2530
Rep Pts:: 5973
Post on old board: 21741
 

MNNavy wrote:

1. "Pursuit of Happyness", "After Earth", and ????

Ali ?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
Sioux/Bucky Hater
(@siouxbucky-hater)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 42
Rep Pts:: 42
 

Bladepuller wrote:

Karlsson wrote:
5. Kindness

If ever there has been a time to do this, it is now.

You got that right! Happy New Year my friend.


   
ReplyQuote
Bladepuller
(@bladepuller)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 374
Rep Pts:: 374
 

Sioux/Bucky Hater wrote:

Bladepuller wrote:

Karlsson wrote:
5. Kindness

If ever there has been a time to do this, it is now.

You got that right! Happy New Year my friend.

The same to you!


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, December 31

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Will Smith has appeared in three movies with one of his real-life children. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

“PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS” (with Jaden), “AFTER EARTH” (with Jaden), “I AM LEGEND” (with Willow)

2. In the novel “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” the tornado isn’t called a tornado. What is it called instead?

A CYCLONE

3. The longest-serving U.S. senator was Robert Byrd, who served in Congress from 1959 until his death in 2010. Which state did he represent?

WEST VIRGINIA

4. After being clubbed in the knee in 1994, Nancy Kerrigan went on to win silver at Lillehammer. What skater bested her, becoming the first and only Ukrainian figure skater ever to win gold at the Olympics?

OKSANA BAIUL

5. It’s New Year’s Eve. In the song "Auld Lang Syne," what will we drink a cup of yet?

KINDNESS


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Monday, January 3

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow's email.

1. There was a U.S. presidential election in the 20th century in which, for the first and only time in U.S. history, three U.S. presidents (past, present, or future) were on the ballot. What year did that happen?

2. If you’re eating wiener schnitzel, you’re not eating beef. What are you eating?

3. The Sprouse Brothers portrayed the Martin Brothers on the Disney Channel from 2005 to 2011. The Sprouse Brothers’ names are Dylan and Cole. What were the Martin Brothers’ first names?

4. What word means “one thousand gigabytes”? Hint: It has nothing to do with earth.

5. Of the eight most popular TV manufacturers in the world, just one is based in the United States. Name that TV brand. Hint: Five letters.


   
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Brooks Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 2530
Rep Pts:: 5973
Post on old board: 21741
 

1) 1912

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
Bladepuller
(@bladepuller)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 374
Rep Pts:: 374
 

1. 1912 Teddy Roosevelt, W.H.Taft, & Woodrow Wilson were the 3

Edit: Greyeagle would not have beat me if I hadn't entered in the 3 candidates


   
ReplyQuote

davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

2. Veal

4. Terabyte


   
ReplyQuote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

Bladepuller wrote:

1. 1912 Teddy Roosevelt, W.H.Taft, & Woodrow Wilson were the 3

Edit: Greyeagle would not have beat me if I hadn't entered in the 3 candidates

You'd think he'd want to show off his knowledge given he probably voted in that election Wink


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

3. Zack & Cody

5. Vizio?


   
ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 616
Rep Pts:: 1113
 

2. Veal is from calves. How can that not be beef?


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

I think beef is technically the flesh from a cow/bull/steer/heifer etc, meaning it is from an animal over a year old. Not 100% certain, though.


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, January 3

1. There was a U.S. presidential election in the 20th century in which, for the first and only time in U.S. history, three U.S. presidents (past, present, or future) were on the ballot. What year did that happen?

1912

(Wilson, Taft, Roosevelt)

2. If you’re eating wiener schnitzel, you’re not eating beef. What are you eating?

VEAL

3. The Sprouse Brothers portrayed the Martin Brothers on the Disney Channel from 2005 to 2011. The Sprouse Brothers’ names are Dylan and Cole. What were the Martin Brothers’ first names?

ZACK AND CODY

(“The Suite Life of Zack & Cody”)

4. What word means “one thousand gigabytes”? Hint: It has nothing to do with earth.

TERABYTE

5. Of the eight most popular TV manufacturers in the world, just one is based in the United States. Name that TV brand. Hint: Five letters.

VIZIO


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Tuesday, January 4

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow's email.

1. Of the world’s 10 most populous countries, only one is in Africa. It’s in West Africa, and it’s that continent’s 14th largest country by area. What is it?

2. If you write a 14-line poem in iambic pentameter, consisting of three quatrains and a couplet, what did you just write?

3. Bacon is often cured with a chemical compound whose formula is NaNO2. What is the common name of that compound?

4. In the Brothers Grimm version, they’re made of gold. In the Disney version, they’re made of glass. What are they?

5. When the euro was adopted in 1999, it became the first currency used throughout most of the European continent since the reign of what king, who is remembered today as the “Father of Europe”?


   
ReplyQuote

Chris83
(@chris83)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 451
Rep Pts:: 808
Post on old board: 5215
 

2. Sonnet?


   
ReplyQuote
psych
(@psych)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 19
Rep Pts:: 124
 

Zwak wrote:

Tuesday, January 4

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow's email.

1. Of the world’s 10 most populous countries, only one is in Africa. It’s in West Africa, and it’s that continent’s 14th largest country by area. What is it?

2. If you write a 14-line poem in iambic pentameter, consisting of three quatrains and a couplet, what did you just write?

3. Bacon is often cured with a chemical compound whose formula is NaNO2. What is the common name of that compound?

4. In the Brothers Grimm version, they’re made of gold. In the Disney version, they’re made of glass. What are they?

5. When the euro was adopted in 1999, it became the first currency used throughout most of the European continent since the reign of what king, who is remembered today as the “Father of Europe”?

1. Nigeria

5. Charlemagne


   
ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 509
Rep Pts:: 751
 

4. Cinderella's slippers?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman


   
ReplyQuote
Maize
(@maize)
Lucia Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 93
Rep Pts:: 93
 

3. Sodium nitrite


   
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Brooks Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 2530
Rep Pts:: 5973
Post on old board: 21741
 

Chris83 wrote:
2. Sonnet?

Correct.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, January 4

1. Of the world’s 10 most populous countries, only one is in Africa. It’s in West Africa, and it’s that continent’s 14th largest country by area. What is it?

NIGERIA

2. If you write a 14-line poem in iambic pentameter, consisting of three quatrains and a couplet, what did you just write?

A SONNET

3. Bacon is often cured with a chemical compound whose formula is NaNO2. What is the common name of that compound?

SODIUM NITRITE

4. In the Brothers Grimm version, they’re made of gold. In the Disney version, they’re made of glass. What are they?

CINDERELLA’S SLIPPERS

5. When the euro was adopted in 1999, it became the first currency used throughout most of the European continent since the reign of what king, who is remembered today as the “Father of Europe”?

CHARLEMAGNE


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

CORRECTIONS CORNER

Thank you to reader Joe for writing in about Question 1 from Monday's questions, about three past and future presidents appearing on the ballot together. We intended three past and future presidents appearing on the ballot as candidates for president, but it is true that Nixon, Kennedy, and Johnson were all on the ballot in 1960. We apologize for the oversight!

Wednesday, January 5

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow's email.

1. What are feral, free-roaming horses called in North America?

2. Here’s a question that Microsoft used to ask its job applicants: How many times does the minute hand of a clock pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?

3. Which NHL team plays in the league’s southernmost home arena?

4. If you take Teflon and stretch it between 800 and 1000 percent, you get the fiber used to make what waterproof fabric, invented and trademarked in 1969?

5. What sauce brand purportedly got its name from King George IV of England in 1824, who ranked it among his favorite sauces?


   
ReplyQuote

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 509
Rep Pts:: 751
 

1. Mustangs

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

4. Gore-Tex


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

3. Florida Panthers


   
ReplyQuote
Reg Dunlop
(@reg-dunlop)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 47
Rep Pts:: 82
 

5. A1?

Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard.


   
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1739
Rep Pts:: 2840
Post on old board: 10695
 

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

Steve MN wrote:

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")

I think that using your logic, which I think is correct, an argument can be made for 10. It doesn't pass it during the eleventh hour, just catches up to it at midnight.


   
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1739
Rep Pts:: 2840
Post on old board: 10695
 

Karlsson wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")

I think that using your logic, which I think is correct, an argument can be made for 10. It doesn't pass it during the eleventh hour, just catches up to it at midnight.

That's what I get for answering trivia questions in the BC era (Before Coffee)


   
ReplyQuote

JC65
 JC65
(@jc65)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 178
Rep Pts:: 178
 

Steve MN wrote:

Karlsson wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")

I think that using your logic, which I think is correct, an argument can be made for 10. It doesn't pass it during the eleventh hour, just catches up to it at midnight.

That's what I get for answering trivia questions in the BC era (Before Coffee)

I thought 10 too, then I actually did the work.

The Minute Hand passes the hour eleven times:

1:06

2:11

3:16

4:21

5:26

6:31

7:36

8:41

9:46

10:51

11:56

At 12:01 it doesn't "pass" the hour hand, it starts equal moves on.

At 12:00 it catches the hour hand, but does not pass it.


   
ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 509
Rep Pts:: 751
 

JC65 wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

Karlsson wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")

I think that using your logic, which I think is correct, an argument can be made for 10. It doesn't pass it during the eleventh hour, just catches up to it at midnight.

That's what I get for answering trivia questions in the BC era (Before Coffee)

I thought 10 too, then I actually did the work.

The Minute Hand passes the hour eleven times:

1:06

2:11

3:16

4:21

5:26

6:31

7:36

8:41

9:46

10:51

11:56

At 12:01 it doesn't "pass" the hour hand, it starts equal moves on.

At 12:00 it catches the hour hand, but does not pass it.

The problem with your logic is that you're only factoring for the hour hand to move one extra minute on the clock dial each hour, regardless of how long it takes the minute hand to reach the hour hand. However, it actually takes the minute hand an additional 25-30 seconds each hour to "catch up" to the hour hand.

Here's a rough estimate of when the minute hand passes the hour hand each hour:

1:05:30

2:11:00

3:16:30

4:22:00

5:27:30

6:33:00

7:38:30

8:44:00

9:49:30

10:55:00

These calculations aren't exact, but it's close. If I had the time and the desire, I would calculate the movements out to the tenth of the second.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman


   
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1739
Rep Pts:: 2840
Post on old board: 10695
 

MNNavy wrote:

JC65 wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

Karlsson wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

2: Since it's "passes" - 11 (The Minute hand is right on top of the hour hand at both Noon and Midnight, so shouldn't count as "passing")

I think that using your logic, which I think is correct, an argument can be made for 10. It doesn't pass it during the eleventh hour, just catches up to it at midnight.

That's what I get for answering trivia questions in the BC era (Before Coffee)

I thought 10 too, then I actually did the work.

The Minute Hand passes the hour eleven times:

1:06

2:11

3:16

4:21

5:26

6:31

7:36

8:41

9:46

10:51

11:56

At 12:01 it doesn't "pass" the hour hand, it starts equal moves on.

At 12:00 it catches the hour hand, but does not pass it.

The problem with your logic is that you're only factoring for the hour hand to move one extra minute on the clock dial each hour, regardless of how long it takes the minute hand to reach the hour hand. However, it actually takes the minute hand an additional 25-30 seconds each hour to "catch up" to the hour hand.

Here's a rough estimate of when the minute hand passes the hour hand each hour:

1:05:30

2:11:00

3:16:30

4:22:00

5:27:30

6:33:00

7:38:30

8:44:00

9:49:30

10:55:00

These calculations aren't exact, but it's close. If I had the time and the desire, I would calculate the movements out to the tenth of the second.

Doing some digging, it's every 1 hour, 5 minutes, 27 seconds. So that last one ends up being 10:54:33, then they catch up again at Midnight/Noon

EDIT: Before anyone else chimes in on all this, Quoth The [mention]melmac[/mention] "It was my understanding that there would be no math"


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

I think the question they should have used is "How many times does the minute hand of a digital clock pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?" and just eliminate everyone having this discussion. LoL


   
ReplyQuote
kmd
 kmd
(@kmd)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 21
Rep Pts:: 21
 

Karlsson wrote:

I think the question they should have used is "How many times does the minute hand of a digital clock pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?" and just eliminate everyone having this discussion. LoL

In the context of this being an interview question for Microsoft, the inclusion of corner cases that need to be identified and properly handled is deliberate.


   
ReplyQuote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

Karlsson wrote:

I think the question they should have used is "How many times does the minute hand of a digital clock pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?" and just eliminate everyone having this discussion. LoL

Reading this I was wondering if this was going to turn into another 'clavicle' type argument


   
ReplyQuote
Bladepuller
(@bladepuller)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 374
Rep Pts:: 374
 

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Since this is a hockey board is the hour hand to be treated as the blue line and the minute hand as the puck?

I'll hang up and listen. 😉


   
ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, January 5

1. What are feral, free-roaming horses called in North America?

MUSTANGS

2. Here’s a question that Microsoft used to ask its job applicants: How many times does the minute hand of a clock pass the hour hand between noon and midnight?

10

(it doesn’t pass the minute hand in the first or last hour)

3. Which NHL team plays in the league’s southernmost home arena?

FLORIDA PANTHERS

(Sunrise, Florida)

4. If you take Teflon and stretch it between 800 and 1000 percent, you get the fiber used to make what waterproof fabric, invented and trademarked in 1969?

GORE-TEX

5. What sauce brand purportedly got its name from King George IV of England in 1824, who ranked it among his favorite sauces?

A1


   
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Theme Thursday, January 6

Today's theme is: Epiphany: Today is the Christian holiday Epiphany, so here are five spoiler-free questions about movies and TV shows in which characters have sudden realizations!

1. The 1995 film “The Usual Suspects” ends with a huge epiphany from customs agent Dave Kujan. From what 1942 film does “The Usual Suspects” get its title?

2. Bruce Willis gets a lot of attention for his epiphany in “The Sixth Sense,” but he wasn’t nominated for an Oscar. Haley Joel Osment was, as was the actor who played his mother. Name her.

3. 2017’s “Get Out” takes about an hour for its central character to come to the epiphany that maybe he should get out of there. Who wrote and directed “Get Out”?

4. NBC’s “The Good Place” is full of epiphanies. A T.M. Scanlon philosophy text, with a six-word title, formed what the show’s creator called its “moral spine.” Eleanor literally takes a page out of it to provide the initial epiphany for Season 2. Name that book!

5. “Citizen Kane” closes by revealing its central mystery, unsolved by all the film’s characters, to the audience. What newspaper magnate—whose life it was loosely based on—banned all advertising of the film and blocked its Oscar chances?


   
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Brooks Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 2530
Rep Pts:: 5973
Post on old board: 21741
 

5. William Randolph Hearst

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 3998
Rep Pts:: 5322
Post on old board: 35040
 

3. Jordan Peele

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.


   
ReplyQuote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1059
Rep Pts:: 1113
Post on old board: 11138
 

1. Casablanca


   
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Broten Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 1672
Rep Pts:: 2997
 

4. What We Owe to Each Order


   
ReplyQuote
psych
(@psych)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 19
Rep Pts:: 124
 

2. Toni Collette


   
ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Leopold Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts:: 1621
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Theme Thursday, January 6

1. The 1995 film “The Usual Suspects” ends with a huge epiphany from customs agent Dave Kujan. From what 1942 film does “The Usual Suspects” get its title?

“CASABLANCA”

2. Bruce Willis gets a lot of attention for his epiphany in “The Sixth Sense,” but he wasn’t nominated for an Oscar. Haley Joel Osment was, as was the actor who played his mother. Name her.

TONI COLLETTE

3. 2017’s “Get Out” takes about an hour for its central character to come to the epiphany that maybe he should get out of there. Who wrote and directed “Get Out”?

JORDAN PEELE

4. NBC’s “The Good Place” is full of epiphanies. A T.M. Scanlon philosophy text, with a six-word title, formed what the show’s creator called its “moral spine.” Eleanor literally takes a page out of it to provide the initial epiphany for Season 2. Name that book!

“WHAT WE OWE TO EACH OTHER”

5. “Citizen Kane” closes by revealing its central mystery, unsolved by all the film’s characters, to the audience. What newspaper magnate—whose life it was loosely based on—banned all advertising of the film and blocked its Oscar chances?

WILLIAM RANDOLPH HEARST


   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 63