38 Users
57 Likes
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12548
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Let the season begin. The favorites to win the Cup per odds include The Avs, Hurricanes, Devils and Leafs. The Wild land somewhere in the middle of the pack. The regular season begins on Tuesday with a triple header on ESPN.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5615
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Let the season begin. The favorites to win the Cup per odds include The Avs, Hurricanes, Devils and Leafs. The Wild land somewhere in the middle of the pack. The regular season begins on Tuesday with a triple header on ESPN.

If you read some Vegas Knights fans pages they are claiming they getting no respect form the bookies. @ +1200, wouldn't you want that over +800 or +900... better bang for your buck if you feel the bookies aren't respecting your team. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7221
Post on old board: 10120

Does anyone know if there is a way to see the Wild schedule calendar style in the NHL app?  With the update it is now a list, one month at a time.  

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Tonights the night when all 32 teams play and ESPN2 is doing a NHL version of the NFL red zone. it starts at 7pm.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1716836278149525964

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Hmmm... continuing the fine tradition of Whioux Hockey

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1717576126237753753?t=chkQlu2VB9t3K7XZEJbJpw&s=19

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Ottawa is the Timberwolves of the NHL

Edit--- Now they have fired their GM. 

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews/status/1719758746916688179

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10503
Post on old board: 21741

Please God let the Pro-Tec be part of

the ensemble! ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The rumors about why Corey Perry is not currently with the Blackhawks are crazy. If they are true ? 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

What in the actual F?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1729330797314703372

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5151

Reminds me of that one football call from years ago, can’t remember the team. 

Official: “False start, offense. Everyone but the center.”

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @karlsson

Reminds me of that one football call from years ago, can’t remember the team. 

Official: “False start, offense. Everyone but the center.”

I was thinking more of this:

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

What in the actual F?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1729330797314703372

I gather there must have been more leading up to this and the refs just said f this we’ve had enough. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhAkdr_QdQ

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6976
Post on old board: 18942

Was the skate into the goalie by Tkachuk really egregious enough to cause that escalation by whomever jumped him?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Patrick Kane joining the Red Wings

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @frozen4champs

The rumors about why Corey Perry is not currently with the Blackhawks are crazy. If they are true ? 

Hmmm...

https://twitter.com/PuckReportNHL/status/1729576759270515110

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2311

The Red Wings should sign Corey Perry. If for nothing more than for the content it would provide. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

What are the rumors of what he did?

ReplyQuote
Armadillo
(@armadillo)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 279
Post on old board: 12601

Posted by: @slap-shot

Schtupped Bedard's mom.  Not joking.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @armadillo

I mean who ha..

nm

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

That can get your "fired"?!?!?!

ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

There is no way that is the reason. Even if it's true, the players association would never let it play out like this. If part of the reason there has to be more to that story.  There's also rumors of hazing going to far.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 140

Chicago is playing the Wild here on Sunday 

over under on if the arena blasts “Stacy’s mom” 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Chicago GM down plays the "rumor".

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1729622803991736508

https://twitter.com/sunhornby/status/1729623539697770664

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/1729622743312683469

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @gator

Nah, it’s all just fun. Like mentioned the NHLPA would never allow it. If anything were to occur he’d be traded not terminated. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

When he says "workplace incident", that could mean either a confrontation with someone associated with the team (trainer, front office employee etc) or an inappropriate relationship or harassment of an employee. We may someday find out if this leads to litigation of some sort, or we may never know.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7501

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Corey Perry's statement--

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1730320318546215369

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

So Perry got drunk and said something derogatory. 

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

So Perry got drunk and said something derogatory. 

I think there is more to the story. I think he said or did something to a team employee while he was drunk. If it was simply a drunk tirade, he could have entered the NHLPA assistance program and kept his job. Maybe it will come out, but who knows. It may remain a mystery like when Josh Harding broke his foot before training camp that involved a teammate. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Goalie goal alert---

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1730416821877063955

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1230
Post on old board: 5547

Pat the Rat was on KFAN this am saying the LA Kings are the best team in the NHL this season with Vegas and Colorado the next top teams and the Wild will make the playoffs but will not win the cup this season

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/DailyFaceoff/status/1732493646774362148

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

That didn't take long---

https://twitter.com/Sheng_Peng/status/1732253745482772694

Karlsson and Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Shocked Futurama GIF

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

A nasty series of events in the Columbus-Florida game. The 1st video is how is started and the second is how it ended. I have the NHL package and was watching this, and was waiting for the 2nd thing to happen. The refs only called 2 minutes on the 1st hit, which lead to the 2nd. I bet the Columbus player will be suspended a couple of games. 

https://twitter.com/GinoHard_/status/1733946064942559480

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1733943140858425361

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

I've said this across ALL sports for decades: we can talk about officials and the various leagues all we want, but as long as the players themselves tolerate this sort of thing, it will never go away. You have certain players who constantly, intentionally try to hurt others and yet it's always accepted and rationalized. The offender(s) gets patted on the back on their way to the locker room, their teammates whack the boards by the benches and the fans scream and give standing ovations. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @chris83

I've said this across ALL sports for decades: we can talk about officials and the various leagues all we want, but as long as the players themselves tolerate this sort of thing, it will never go away. You have certain players who constantly, intentionally try to hurt others and yet it's always accepted and rationalized. The offender(s) gets patted on the back on their way to the locker room, their teammates whack the boards by the benches and the fans scream and give standing ovations. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It will take a broken neck and paralyzed player from a hit before they even stop to think about changing their ways.  

Chris83 reacted
ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 984

Because the NHL refuses to call cross-checking penalties in front of the net, we end up with scenes like this one:

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

The league has all the power in the world to crack down on these things and doesn’t. The meatheads aren’t going to police themselves that’s why we have refs and a safety dept lol.

Posted by: @fightclub30

Because the NHL refuses to call cross-checking penalties in front of the net, we end up with scenes like this one:

The players will fix this any day now I’m told ? 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1207
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @trixr4kids

The league has all the power in the world to crack down on these things and doesn’t. The meatheads aren’t going to police themselves that’s why we have refs and a safety dept lol.

As Cowgirl noted, very sadly, it’s going to take a Jack Jablonski level paralysis injury happening to an NHL player before they do something about the blatant checks from behind/boarding that routinely aren’t even called a penalty, let alone a major & game ejection. The NHL player safety department is a joke & the players association is equally culpable. 

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

The players association isn’t going to lobby against their own material interests re pay/suspensions. The league can also dole out harsher punishments and there isn’t much the players can do to fight back, so saying they’re equally culpable implies that they have the same level of power, clearly they don’t. 

Also in the past it was GMs and ownership whining about long suspensions so it’s not like the players are even solely to blame for that either. Namely when Raffi Torres got that monster suspension when Shannahan started his job in DOPS, only for that to never happen again for that exact reason.

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I get your point, but if the players really cared they would speak out more on the subject. If they actually made noise and the league refused to respond the obviously resulting negative press might be enough to move the needle even a little.

You're right that the league could make changes on their own, but it's also true the players imho don't speak out enough in their own right.

Chris83 reacted
ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

The players need to be in solidarity from the plugs who make league min to the Auston Mathews of the league. Also there’s the cultural element of being tough guys etc. and there’s way more of the league min players than them, you’d have issues in your own locker room if you started lobbying to give harsher suspensions that would mainly affect the guys toward the bottom of the pay scale. That’s not to say star players never fly off the handle and get suspended but they can take the loss far more easily.

And like I said it’s ownership and upper management who didn’t want this. That’s the only people Bettman actually listens to.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Capitals and Wizards owner appears to be moving teams from DC to Alexandria Va.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1734717454742364350

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @trixr4kids

The players need to be in solidarity from the plugs who make league min to the Auston Mathews of the league. Also there’s the cultural element of being tough guys etc. and there’s way more of the league min players than them, you’d have issues in your own locker room if you started lobbying to give harsher suspensions that would mainly affect the guys toward the bottom of the pay scale. That’s not to say star players never fly off the handle and get suspended but they can take the loss far more easily.

And like I said it’s ownership and upper management who didn’t want this. That’s the only people Bettman actually listens to.

This too easily absolves the players' role in this. Every roster has minimum salaried players and if those players don't want to lose paychecks they can stop mugging players on the ice. Not being a thug doesn't mean you have to lose your job - rosters have to be filled out and it's not going to happen solely with skilled players because of the cap.

Also I imagine far more players care about this than don't so any hurt feelings would be outweighed by the majority. As far as what the owners want or don't want, if they think the players don't give a rip why should they?

Regarding the insipid "tough guy" element this isn't a conversation about outlawing enforcers or fighting, but about taking care of dangerous plays that could happen to any player on the ice - not just star players.

If the players continue to refuse to speak out this is not going to get fixed, and saying otherwise lets them off the hook.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Over the years, the NHL has cleaned up its act and the game has changed into a contest of skating and skill. Can the same league and the same owners responsible for its apparent ills be awarded any credit for this?

Is there really much of a problem with meatheads in the game today? There's a huge pipeline of skilled European and U.S. college players trying to crack NHL rosters who don't play a dirty game. It seems like there are a lot more Kyle Raus, and a lot fewer Derek Boogaards nowadays. Nobody I can think of on the current Wild roster- from the lowest salary to the highest- plays dirty or would be considered a problem player.

The incidence level of dirty hits like the one against Dylan Larkin seems very low in the new NHL. That sort of nonsense should be dealt with swiftly and severely, and all of the stakeholders should be equally outraged. The league and its players would be better off focusing on re-evaluating its interpretation of penalties such as checking from behind, boarding, etc. that are far more frequent and pose a significant risk to player safety.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The league and its players would be better off focusing on re-evaluating its interpretation of penalties such as checking from behind, boarding, etc. that are far more frequent and pose a significant risk to player safety.

These types of infractions along with cross-checking are exactly the types my commentary was referring to. Not sure what other types of incidents you thought were being discussed.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1953
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @streakygopher

Over the years, the NHL has cleaned up its act and the game has changed into a contest of skating and skill. Can the same league and the same owners responsible for its apparent ills be awarded any credit for this?

Is there really much of a problem with meatheads in the game today? There's a huge pipeline of skilled European and U.S. college players trying to crack NHL rosters who don't play a dirty game. It seems like there are a lot more Kyle Raus, and a lot fewer Derek Boogaards nowadays. Nobody I can think of on the current Wild roster- from the lowest salary to the highest- plays dirty or would be considered a problem player.

The incidence level of dirty hits like the one against Dylan Larkin seems very low in the new NHL. That sort of nonsense should be dealt with swiftly and severely, and all of the stakeholders should be equally outraged. The league and its players would be better off focusing on re-evaluating its interpretation of penalties such as checking from behind, boarding, etc. that are far more frequent and pose a significant risk to player safety.

Foligno and Hartman are dirty players. Duhaime is close.

The funny part about getting rid of the goons and fighting for the most part, is that it has created a new problem where the Brad Marchands of the world aren't forced to be accountable for their play. That's where you need competent leadership.  The NHL isn’t close to being competent in that regard. It's not going to change until the players demand it, and I don't see it happening 

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

The league and its players would be better off focusing on re-evaluating its interpretation of penalties such as checking from behind, boarding, etc. that are far more frequent and pose a significant risk to player safety.

These types of infractions along with cross-checking are exactly the types my commentary was referring to. Not sure what other types of incidents you thought were being discussed.

Some of the earlier posts seem to insinuate the league is full of low-rent players who are committing serious infractions (such as the Larkin blow) with regularity. I don't think that's true. The Wild, for example, has a bunch of those players, and they aren't dirty.

The NHL penalty guidelines are too liberal and allow for the possibility of serious injury even among clean players. If the rules differentiate very little between a serious check-from-behind and an ordinary boarding call, how is a player supposed to know in real-time where that line is drawn? The Larkin hit was an obvious one, as the player intentionally sucker-punched him in the side of the head. But when you're allowed to run a player into the glass from behind and skate away with a 2-minute penalty, that's not enough punishment to avoid doing that next time.

If they adopted the college definition for blows to the head, CFB, etc., and then DQ'd the perpetrators, teams would adjust their style of play to avoid major penalties. Going on a 5-minute kill reduces your chance of winning. I doubt there would be much need for suspensions if the guidelines were changed to protect players and the refs called the rulebook faithfully.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5