92 Likes
31.4 K Views
GPL
 GPL
(@gpl)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 57
Topic starter  

Here is a new thread for the women's team for 2022-23. Let's get this down to a yearly thread vs  multiple years.

This is just a GPL account for creating threads.

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 104

Does this look about right? Have we heard about Boreen, Norcross, Hengler or Oden for next year?
23 skaters, 3 goaltenders
Heise-5
Boreen-5
Skaja-5

Murphy-So
Grace Z-5
Hemp-So

Huber-So
Oden-5
Norcross-5

Lindsay-So
Conner-So
Bouveng-Fr

Tatur-So
Audrey W-Jr
Kaiser-Fr

Ostertag-5
Nicholson-Jr

Maddie W-Sr
Dunne-Jr

Emily Z-So
Hengler-5

Laitinen-Fr
Franco-Fr

Pahl-Sr
Vetter-So
King-Sr

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5287
Post on old board: 15786

Thanks for reposting Lancaster! I appreciate it!

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12489
Post on old board: 9626

Wonder why the Gophers did not want to host it anymore? Cost? I guess maybe the WCHA gave them a sweet deal to continue it.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1516833958037762053

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

Does this look about right? Have we heard about Boreen, Norcross, Hengler or Oden for next year? 23 skaters, 3 goaltenders Heise-5 Boreen-5 Skaja-5 Murphy-So Grace Z-5 Hemp-So Huber-So Oden-5 Norcross-5 Lindsay-So Conner-So Bouveng-Fr Tatur-So Audrey W-Jr Kaiser-Fr Ostertag-5 Nicholson-Jr Maddie W-Sr Dunne-Jr Emily Z-So Hengler-5 Laitinen-Fr Franco-Fr Pahl-Sr Vetter-So King-Sr

Re: Next season, I haven't heard anything about Boreen, Norcross, Hengler or Oden. All four are obviously great players, and we hope all of them return. If they do it would make the team that much deeper, and stronger. I am super excited about this team's potential! If they can put their egos aside and work HARD during the offseason winning the National Championship should be a realistic and attainable goal.

It's been a while...

Vinny23
(@vinny23)
Rep Pts: 4

Hey All, did we lose the great thread regarding the Women's Transfer Portal? It seems to have disappeared with the changeover. Can someone with access please repost the portal entries from October through the current....much appreciated, and sorry for asking!!

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Hey All, did we lose the great thread regarding the Women’s Transfer Portal? It seems to have disappeared with the changeover. Can someone with access please repost the portal entries from October through the current….much appreciated, and sorry for asking!!

Sorry about that Vinny... I just removed the 2 huge threads that were in here. Completely my bad.

Get your own board!

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2498
Post on old board: 7833

Hey All, did we lose the great thread regarding the Women’s Transfer Portal? It seems to have disappeared with the changeover. Can someone with access please repost the portal entries from October through the current….much appreciated, and sorry for asking!!

Sorry about that Vinny… I just removed the 2 huge threads that were in here. Completely my bad.

I recovered what I could and put it in the “Women’s Recruiting” thread

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

The women's recruiting thread had major issue with formatting after the import. I wonder if our guy for the men's board can get something similar going for the women?

Get your own board!

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Gracie Ostertag officially says she's back for next year---as was long expected.

If they are going to do these one per day over the next few days Boreen and Heise will be the biggest ones to watch for.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

I thought there already was a Heise announcement? Probably wishful thinking

OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 260

Heise said she was coming back but there was no team announcement.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

Heise said she was coming back but there was no team announcement.

Hopefully just an oversight.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

Love her game and so glad she'll be back. Not flashy, but she keeps her head up and always seems to make the right play. And in her senior season she took her game to the next level as she continued to gain confidence. Hopefully there's yet another level she can attain in her "super senior" season.

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

Love her game and so glad she’ll be back. Not flashy, but she keeps her head up and always seems to make the right play. And in her senior season she took her game to the next level as she continued to gain confidence. Hopefully there’s yet another level she can attain in her “super senior” season.

I agree. I thought Crystalyn was our most reliable defender for most of the season and was playing her best as a Gopher as the season came to a close.

I also thought Olivia Knowles was playing pretty well down the stretch.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1518297002894893056

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

And the newest daily installment of “Who’s Returning to Gopher Hockey?” features…….

https://twitter.com/gopherwhockey/status/1518667717284438018?s=21

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Another day, another returner…..

https://twitter.com/gopherwhockey/status/1519026289495187456?s=21

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Boreen now official.

https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1519402081840476163

Guessing we get Heise tomorrow.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1519763527581544449

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

As expected all are back who have eligibility but Amy Potomak.  Get the goalie situation figured out and this team should be good.

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

I think Heise peaked in January. Her crazy high play elevated the first line to wondrous heights and made the team a legitimate title contender.

Then at the end of the year she reverted to her tendency to skate around the edges and to glib passing. I thought Boreen and Skaja still played pretty darn good but without the new magical Heise the rest of the team was exposed. It would be great to see more players with some significant improvement year to year.

BUT, with the lack of activity in the portal and so many players returning for a fifth year, the internal health of the team and program seems good. I think as fans we have a reasonable basis for some optimism!

"The deadline for fall and winter athletes to submit their names into the transfer portal is Sunday, May 1. For a student-athlete to still receive immediate eligibility in their sport for this upcoming fall or winter season, they must submit their name by that deadline. While there will likely be exceptions down the road for some select players, this date is crucial for college athletics."

ARM
 ARM
(@arlan-marttila)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 25

I also thought Olivia Knowles was playing pretty well down the stretch.

I agree. She had a couple of years where I thought her play dipped, but she was far less error prone in her final season.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

So would it be correct to say that the upcoming season holds tremendous promise, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time? Plenty of depth at Forward and D where the battles for starting roles will be intense. In goal both Paul and Vetter gained valuable experience last season, and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod to start when Wisconsin and Ohio State come up on the calendar.

No doubt the ladies are training extra hard this off-season to take full advantage of a very talented - and deep - roster.

GO GOPHERS!

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Not sure if the Gopher staff is dipping their toes in the portal, but I’m hearing one of the top targets, Harvard’s Dominique Petrie, is likely heading to another eastern school.

Vinny23
(@vinny23)
Rep Pts: 4

Ice, Lookin' like Clarkson....

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

So would it be correct to say that the upcoming season holds tremendous promise, the likes of which we haven’t seen in some time? Plenty of depth at Forward and D where the battles for starting roles will be intense. In goal both Paul and Vetter gained valuable experience last season, and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod to start when Wisconsin and Ohio State come up on the calendar.
No doubt the ladies are training extra hard this off-season to take full advantage of a very talented – and deep – roster.
GO GOPHERS!

I would say this is correct.

My qualifiers-
1: I believe we will need significant year over year improvement by some of our defensemen...and as Gopherguy says..
2: we will need a little good fortune with the goaltending.

At this point I am more concerned with #1 than #2.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

So would it be correct to say that the upcoming season holds tremendous promise, the likes of which we haven’t seen in some time? Plenty of depth at Forward and D where the battles for starting roles will be intense. In goal both Paul and Vetter gained valuable experience last season, and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod to start when Wisconsin and Ohio State come up on the calendar. No doubt the ladies are training extra hard this off-season to take full advantage of a very talented – and deep – roster. GO GOPHERS!

I would say this is correct. My qualifiers- 1: I believe we will need significant year over year improvement by some of our defensemen…and as Gopherguy says.. 2: we will need a little good fortune with the goaltending. At this point I am more concerned with #1 than #2.

I'm still concerned the most about #2.  They have both proven they can beat the have nots, but can they consistently beat the haves in UMD, WI, OSU?  Bench started nearly all the games against those teams.

I think adding the Finn D will be a significant boost.

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

So would it be correct to say that the upcoming season holds tremendous promise, the likes of which we haven’t seen in some time? Plenty of depth at Forward and D where the battles for starting roles will be intense. In goal both Paul and Vetter gained valuable experience last season, and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod to start when Wisconsin and Ohio State come up on the calendar. No doubt the ladies are training extra hard this off-season to take full advantage of a very talented – and deep – roster. GO GOPHERS!

I would say this is correct. My qualifiers- 1: I believe we will need significant year over year improvement by some of our defensemen…and as Gopherguy says.. 2: we will need a little good fortune with the goaltending. At this point I am more concerned with #1 than #2.

I’m still concerned the most about #2. They have both proven they can beat the have nots, but can they consistently beat the haves in UMD, WI, OSU? Bench started nearly all the games against those teams.

I think adding the Finn D will be a significant boost.

Totally reasonable.

I was disappointed in Frost's decision to ride Bench down the stretch. While I don't consider the decision egregious.. ie she did play well against Wisconsin in December..which I consider her Gopher peak.. I thought Bench had shown she wasn't the one to rely on for a post-season run and would not bail the team out of mistakes. Which turned out to be the case with the soft 1st goal against the Bulldogs after a fairly weak sequence by our first line.

Pahl and Vetter hadn't had the opportunities Bench had so I still figure one of them is bound to be good...lol Yes, pretty speculative stuff but I am still hoping!

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

https://www.theicegarden.com/2022/5/2/23052434/2022-top-25-under-25-womens-hockey-the-list

From women’s hockey site “The Ice Garden”, the first installment of their annual “Top 25 Under 25” list. Incoming Gopher freshman Josefin Bouveng comes in at number 20.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

20th best player in the world under 25 is an incoming freshman? That would have to be one of the best recruits in program history, no...

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

20th best player in the world under 25 is an incoming freshman? That would have to be one of the best recruits in program history, no…

While I am somewhat optimistic, not sure I’d read too much into this article yet.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2022/5/10/23045809/2022-top-25-under-25-18-anni-keisala-17-grace-zumwinkle

A little more today. Grace Zumwinkle ranked at number 17.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

https://www.theicegarden.com/2022/5/11/23039811/top-25-under-25-16-nelli-laitinen-15-ronja-savolainen

More Gopher praise in today’s portion of “The Ice Garden” list as incoming freshman Nelli Laitinen comes in at number 16.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

Quite frankly I was a little concerned about this upcoming  season's recruiting class, but after reading the background and accomplishments surrounding Laitinen and Bouveng those reservations appear to be unfounded. Both appear to be solid additions to an already super talented lineup.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

https://www.theicegarden.com/2022/5/12/23067690/2022-top-25-under-25-14-emma-maltais-13-taylor-heise

And today we have Taylor Heise at lucky number 13.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Are there going to be more current badgers/Buckeyes in the top 12?

OSU: 14
UMD: 19
NU: 23
UMN: 13, 16, 17, 20

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

badgers?

Incoming transfer Jesse Compher is probably a lock. Incoming freshman Caroline Harvey (was on the Olympic team) is very likely. Two that didn’t make the final team but sat out the year as possible Olympic call ups, Lacey Eden and Britta Curl are also possible/likely.

EDIT: Compher was number 12.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

Nice writeup and confirmation of all returnees for the upcoming season. This team has the potential to be amongst the best ever for a Gopher team in program history. Certainly team offense should not be an issue!

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/4/29/womens-hockey-eight-seniors-return-for-2022-23.aspx

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Two tough stretches in a row in the fall and end of the season with UMD/OSU/WI back to back to back.  At least a bye week in there in the fall, but three in a row in Jan/Feb.

Should be a fun quadrangle of dislike to determine the league champ

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Former Whioux coach Brian Idalski gets the women’s job at St. Cloud

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Makenna Webster to Ohio State

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Iceburg said

Makenna Webster to Ohio State

No real surprise as she wants to play both ice and field hockey.

But Buckeyes are going to be goooooood this year again.  Definitely the favorites to repeat.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Heise, Boreen, Ostertag and Grace Zumwinkle to each wear the “C” this coming season.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Check out the first week in January. Safe to assume the Gophers are playing these teams on opposite days?

https://twitter.com/scsuhuskies_whk/status/1529484940219256832?s=21&t=SUfSgQEqdUJSL5eGtCQ5QQ

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Yeah I'd definately think that's a fairly logical assumption.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Gopherguy05 wrote...

Yeah I’d definately think that’s a fairly logical assumption.

Live long and prosper.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Unsubstantiated rumor on the USCHO women’s message board that UMD’s Lizi Norton (5th year defenseman from Orono) may be joining the Gopher squad. She did enter the portal about a month ago.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Looks like the Gophers will spend Thanksgiving in Vegas

https://gopsusports.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/schedule

Page 1 / 16