16 Likes
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12548
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Let the off season fun begin...

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1779200615224061954

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Gophers plan on bidding for the Frozen Fours starting in 29. Sounds like the bids for 27-28 are in and the winning bidders will be unveiled this fall.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1779294774954012688

McGinnis, the Gophers senior associate athletic director who oversees the hockey programs, said the Gophers and Visit St. Paul plan to put in bids for future Frozen Fours. Minnesota did not bid on the next two that will be awarded — 2027 and '28 — but plan to seek a Frozen Four in the following cycle. The 2025 Frozen Four will be played in St. Louis and the 2026 event in Las Vegas.

"[The NCAA] just did a bid cycle for 2027 and 2028. We didn't do that one because we figured they probably wouldn't come back [to St. Paul] that quick," McGinnis said Saturday. "We feel this is the premier event in college hockey, and it belongs in St. Paul. We certainly will be an active participant in the bid process the next time around."

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5294
Post on old board: 15786

Look for Seattle to get a FF in 27 or 28... (North Dakota as the host)

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1106

Seattle would be a fun spot. Seems they have really built up an appetite for hockey with the Kraken.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Now I remember the other favorite too...

Detroit and Seattle... I am thinking Detroit may get it first since theirs was cancelled because of COVID. So Detroit in 27 and Seattle in 28? We will see... But those are the two places I was told this weekend.

Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

I would be fine with Seattle.  Detroit, I am indifferent about, especially if they bid to have it at Ford Field again (although I doubt they will).

Me and my buddy's were talking this past weekend and we think they should have a 5 year rotation with Boston, Tampa, and St. Paul in every five years and then two wildcard spots to round out the five.  Something like:

1. Boston
  2. Wild Card
  3. Tampa
  4. Wild Card
  5. St. Paul

That way, the cities that are really good hosts (mentioned above) are always getting the 'ship every 5 years, and two additional cities will get to prove their worth.  I am sure St. Louis will be fine (it was the last time they were there) and Vegas will be more about the city than the tournament.  Other good hosts were/are Buffalo, Columbus (downtown not at the Schott), Pittsburgh and Denver.

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

Denver was awesome. However, I don't think they'll put in another bid, and I honestly don't know why. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7221
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @jupiter

Look for Seattle to get a FF in 27 or 28... (North Dakota as the host)

Aren’t they hosting 2026 in Vegas already?

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Probably... but they can host as often as their bid get accepted.

Get your own board!

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Probably... but they can host as often as their bid get accepted.

It's all about the bids. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2217

Posted by: @joegopher

I would be fine with Seattle.  Detroit, I am indifferent about, especially if they bid to have it at Ford Field again (although I doubt they will).

Me and my buddy's were talking this past weekend and we think they should have a 5 year rotation with Boston, Tampa, and St. Paul in every five years and then two wildcard spots to round out the five.  Something like:

1. Boston
  2. Wild Card
  3. Tampa
  4. Wild Card
  5. St. Paul

That way, the cities that are really good hosts (mentioned above) are always getting the 'ship every 5 years, and two additional cities will get to prove their worth.  I am sure St. Louis will be fine (it was the last time they were there) and Vegas will be more about the city than the tournament.  Other good hosts were/are Buffalo, Columbus (downtown not at the Schott), Pittsburgh and Denver.

I think this would be a good way to do it in that you're keeping your hot beds well engaged and making it accessible for those who don't have the ability to travel to go more frequently. Would also allow for the teams on rotation to prep for it but I think you run into the issue of who's the "bid" at those sites when it's there every 5 years? Is St Paul always MN? Who is it in Boston or Tampa? Not sure the NCAA would want to take on the "risk", even though those sites will make money. Given now it seems there are more sponsors on top of just the Universities, could be a time for the NCAA to try make some multi-year deal with sponsors as well as an alternate route, which I'm sure they would like the steady locations

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Isn't he the one who looked like he was about to fight Grant Potulny on the bench that one game? 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Isn't he the one who looked like he was about to fight Grant Potulny on the bench that one game? 

Yes he is.

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335

Interesting new in season tournament.

https://twitter.com/AcrisureArena/status/1779857326805057930

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Yes he is.

Is there video of that fight somewhere?

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I couldn’t find it, just an article that described what happened.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 568

@trixr4kids I’m trying to remember that, I keep thinking he was with Michigan tech or AA but maybe I’m just way off, wouldn’t be the first time.

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

It was against MTU during the 12-13 season I believe. I thought there was video somewhere but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I have the highlights on DVD I think. Lucia had to pull Grant away from the end of the bench. It stemmed from a hit late in the game IIRC

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

Mankato native and overall good dude from a good family signs AHL contract with Texas Stars

https://twitter.com/BSUBeaversMHKY/status/1779940451769811025

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5152

I believe Muckalt was also involved in the scuffle with a St. Thomas assistant during last year’s coaches meetings over how the transfer of Eernisse was handled.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherpete

It was against MTU during the 12-13 season I believe. I thought there was video somewhere but I could be wrong.

I was there in the MTU section (via SRO tickets 😉 ), and that scene was insane. IIRC, Gophers kept their PP1 unit out there and MTU responded by sending goons? Or vice versa, with MTU getting rough, and MN responding by keeping the PP1 unit out there...

GopherPete reacted
ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @the-rube

I was there in the MTU section (via SRO tickets 😉 ), and that scene was insane. IIRC, Gophers kept their PP1 unit out there and MTU responded by sending goons? Or vice versa, with MTU getting rough, and MN responding by keeping the PP1 unit out there...

Yes I was there too. It was a pretty chippy game if I recall, Gophers had a big lead and MTU was getting pretty physical. You could tell something was brewing. Also, I think it was actually 11/12 season and not 12/13 season.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @the-rube

Yes I was there too. It was a pretty chippy game if I recall, Gophers had a big lead and MTU was getting pretty physical. You could tell something was brewing. Also, I think it was actually 11/12 season and not 12/13 season.

Wonder if @jupiter has any photos from the incident? I think it was Dec 10th 2011.

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Wonder if @jupiter has any photos from the incident? I think it was Dec 10th 2011.

I do not. I was not there that night. But do recall seeing photographer, Mike Thill, from Let's Play Hockey in the box between the benches. I also recall seeing him not taking photos when that happened. I remember him saying that he didn't want to cause more trouble by taking photos during the incident.

Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

That was the right call. Don't rehash stuff, or escalate stuff. 

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2556
Post on old board: 7833

I thought this was kind of interesting. His father was Shawn Walsh (Maine) and his grandfather was Ron Mason (Michigan State).

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/miac-mens/new-gustavus-head-coach-comes-from-ncaa-hockey-royalty

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6977
Post on old board: 18942

About time they got a new coach. I liked Carroll as a person, but unlike the women the men's hockey team had been abysmal for years.

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

Carroll is the women's coach.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6977
Post on old board: 18942

You're right. Peterson had been the men's coach forever without doing much.

ReplyQuote
alignrock
(@alignrock)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 74

Posted by: @iceburg

I thought this was kind of interesting. His father was Shawn Walsh (Maine) and his grandfather was Ron Mason (Michigan State).

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/miac-mens/new-gustavus-head-coach-comes-from-ncaa-hockey-royalty

Has to be one of the little Walsh kids they kept showing on the 2002 title game broadcast, right? Time flies...

ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

This could go on a number of threads.  There have been rumors flying that the Big Ten is not happy with Nebraska losing it's AAU accreditation.  Now there are rumblings that Nebraska is considering merging the Lincoln and Omaha campuses to be able to regain AAU accreditation. This would obviously be interesting in regards to the hockey team at Omaha.

https://flywareagle.com/posts/nebraska-merge-lincoln-omaha-campuses-regain-aau-accreditation-stay-big-ten

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10504
Post on old board: 21741

Nebraska Football:  If you can't beat 'em (anyone), run away.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 564

Omaha is a good team. I'd be happy with that.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7408

Schloss reports Denver junior and top 10 Hobey guy Jack Devine is back for his senior season. Denver will be good again.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1176

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Schloss reports Denver junior and top 10 Hobey guy Jack Devine is back for his senior season. Denver will be good again.

They lost quite a few players though, no?  No idea what their recruiting class looks like.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2217

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

They lost quite a few players though, no?  No idea what their recruiting class looks like.

yeah. Behrens, probably both Buiums (we'll see on Zeev), Broz, Rizzo and graduate I believe Webster. 

That said they got Pohlkamp from BSU and they'll have a pretty decent recruiting class. King and Devine are a great starting point on the top line and they should have 7 guys back who scored 10 or more goals. They won't be as good as this year imo, but still should be solid as they always are. 

ReplyQuote
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 261

I kinda hope the Omaha Mavericks become the Nebraska Cornhuskers, complete with red and white uniforms.  And probably the “N” on the side of the helmet with a red center stripe

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1230
Post on old board: 5547

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 974
Post on old board: 8405

I am kind of jealous of the NCHC.  They can start planning trips for away games, while we have to waiting until Aug/Sept   I really wish the B1G would take a lesson from them

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bert

I am kind of jealous of the NCHC.  They can start planning trips for away games, while we have to waiting until Aug/Sept   I really wish the B1G would take a lesson from them

right? Even if they don’t know the times (as we have to wait for football and bouncy ball to be set first) at least we could know which weekends to take off work and such.  

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7501

Dear @cowgirl employer,

On behalf of cowgirl this letter is to let you know that due to the upcoming Gopher hockey season her available from October 2024 - April 2025 is contingent on when/where Gopher games are played. Any weekend the Gophers play outside the Twin Cities could/likely means she is unavailable to work Thursday-Sunday. Your cooperation in this matter is necessary and appreciated.

All Gopher fans have permission to substitute their name and use this. 😀 

Rau4SkiUMah and Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Dear @cowgirl employer,

On behalf of cowgirl this letter is to let you know that due to the upcoming Gopher hockey season her available from October 2024 - April 2025 is contingent on when/where Gopher games are played. Any weekend the Gophers play outside the Twin Cities could/likely means she is unavailable to work Thursday-Sunday. Your cooperation in this matter is necessary and appreciated.

All Gopher fans have permission to substitute their name and use this. 😀 

love it! 😂

I do block off my Fridays from October til March until I get the schedule but there’s inevitably a weekday night game in there somewhere that always catches me by surprise or needing a thursday off for a road trip.  
my work is not a fan of my schedule blocking but they’ve conceded it’s a lot easier to deal with than having to move a bunch of appointments that were already made.  😬

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4613
Post on old board: 10695

Funny how that works... a men's hockey only conference gets their schedule out ahead of a conference that has multiple different men's and women's sports that run the entirety of the college athletics seasons.  What a shock.

Annoying?  As a hockey fan, of course.  But, don't hold your breath on it changing, because it never will.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Gopherguy05 reacted
ReplyQuote