Hughes was having a bad 3rd period as well. Way too many blind passes and unnecessary turnovers. Glad he made up for it.
Hughes was having a bad 3rd period as well. Way too many blind passes and unnecessary turnovers. Glad he made up for it.
Whenever I watched him pre Wild, I would think he overplays the puck. Now, I've come to learn that if he does that stuff enough, something usually busts loose. His creativity isn't always perfect, but it more often benefits the team than not.
On the GWG, he had a sneaky good across-the- grain shot that was perfectly located. He's a player who would normally get more attention but in OT, guys are forced into man-to-man coverage, and that just opens up his options to beat one guy for a shot.
Sweden played one heck of a physical game and held the US' best players, such as Boldy, to few good opportunities. Ek had a nice game.
The US coaches have sat Connor twice in a row now.
Probably been talked about before, but why do they do 3 on 3 OT in the Olympics?
Probably been talked about before, but why do they do 3 on 3 OT in the Olympics?
I was thinking about that earlier. I wonder if the NHL pushes for it? Saves wear and tear on their athletes.
Hughes was having a bad 3rd period as well. Way too many blind passes and unnecessary turnovers. Glad he made up for it.
Whenever I watched him pre Wild, I would think he overplays the puck. Now, I've come to learn that if he does that stuff enough, something usually busts loose. His creativity isn't always perfect, but it more often benefits the team than not.
On the GWG, he had a sneaky good across-the- grain shot that was perfectly located. He's a player who would normally get more attention but in OT, guys are forced into man-to-man coverage, and that just opens up his options to beat one guy for a shot.
Sweden played one heck of a physical game and held the US' best players, such as Boldy, to few good opportunities. Ek had a nice game.
The US coaches have sat Connor twice in a row now.
with Hughes that’s pretty much how I see it as well. His play making ability was one of the few things in that 3rd period that I felt hopeful about. Puck possession in the ozone was pretty limited. Thing with Quinn is he recovers well when he does turn it over so I give him free passes for whatever the hell he wants to do.😁🍻
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
@iceburg That makes sense, you’re probably right. Still can’t stand it but at least there is some reasoning behind it.
Probably been talked about before, but why do they do 3 on 3 OT in the Olympics?
I was thinking about that earlier. I wonder if the NHL pushes for it? Saves wear and tear on their athletes.
the iihf made the move like 2 years after the nhl. In part because of the nhl but I’d also imagine the schedule as it ends games faster and keeps you on schedule for multiple games in a day
if it was for pure wear and tear, they wouldn’t have changed the medal games to be different.
Women’s Hockey
Switzerland beats Sweden 2-1 to take the bronze medal.
The women haven't come close to threaten scoring since about the first 5 minutes of the 3rd. Canada has had them on their heels quite a bit.
USA won't get any help from the refs today. Canadians are holding, clutching, tripping...anything to slow down our American gal pals. They drew one penalty at the end of the period but should have had a couple more.
On the short handed breakaway, the Canadian player immediately put her stick up high on the American to slow her down and that made the difference. That should have been a penalty as soon as the play started.
US needs to come out a change things up a bit. Canadians dumping the puck and thwarting American breakouts in the neutral zone. Need a little coaching at the break.
I only started watching here at the beginning of the 2nd but Canada is clearly in the heads of the US team right now.
I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!
USA won't get any help from the refs today. Canadians are holding, clutching, tripping...anything to slow down our American gal pals. They drew one penalty at the end of the period but should have had a couple more.
On the short handed breakaway, the Canadian player immediately put her stick up high on the American to slow her down and that made the difference. That should have been a penalty as soon as the play started.
US needs to come out a change things up a bit. Canadians dumping the puck and thwarting American breakouts in the neutral zone. Need a little coaching at the break.
And it seems be getting worse...
“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”
― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many times are they going to be allowed to tackle us before a penalty gets called?
USA is playing better now but yeah...the grabass play by the Canucks is just ridiculous. I guess that's the game that they can play while the stripes let it happen.
I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!
Canada playing smart... If you get away with it, you keep doing it. US not adjusting to it.
Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃
Following on espn just gives score updates every few minutes. They’re showing Canada up 1-0 end of the 2nd. Correct?
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
I seem to be watching a different game than the rest of you. I’m seeing a team that looks like a group of Ilia Malinins as far as composure goes. Bilka shooting six feet over the net from four feet away encapsulates the game I’m watching.
Following on espn just gives score updates every few minutes. They’re showing Canada up 1-0 end of the 2nd. Correct?
Correct. Short handed goal at the start of the second for Canada.
Edwards has had a great tournament, but noticeably not good in this game so far.
I seem to be watching a different game than the rest of you. I’m seeing a team that looks like a group of Ilia Malinins as far as composure goes. Bilka shooting six feet over the net from four feet away encapsulates the game I’m watching.
Edwards has that deer in the headlights look to her. Only line that’s moving their feet is the Heise line. Otherwise Canada seems to have found a gear that the rest of the US team can’t keep up with.
The US is definitely not helping their cause with their own decision making.I seem to be watching a different game than the rest of you. I’m seeing a team that looks like a group of Ilia Malinins as far as composure goes. Bilka shooting six feet over the net from four feet away encapsulates the game I’m watching.
I knew I should’ve taken off work to give them the proper cheering from home. Ugh!!!!
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Canada’s veteran lineup had to be embarrassed by the rivalry series and the earlier game here in Italy. You knew it wasn’t going to be easy. I agree they looked better later in that period. Hopefully youthful legs can overcome age in the third.
Gripping the sticks pretty tight.
Methinks if the USA gets one a few more could follow.
“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”
― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I seem to be watching a different game than the rest of you. I’m seeing a team that looks like a group of Ilia Malinins as far as composure goes. Bilka shooting six feet over the net from four feet away encapsulates the game I’m watching.
Definitely nerves. Hopefully, that won't equate to running around in the third. They really need some calming leadership and an early goal in the third.
The US team has outscored opponents 31-1 coming into this game, including a 5-0 rubbing of Canada, a team they've beaten 7 straight times. Someone needs to tell them their next chance for an Olympic gold is 4 years away.
think people are also forgetting Poulin didn't play in that first game. lot of added skill and leadership just having her on the ice for Canada as a calming presence
Someone needs to tell them their next chance for an Olympic gold is 4 years away.
Or Wroblewski could have pulled out Herbie’s “you’ll take it to your 🤬ing grave” speech.
Edwards has had a great tournament, but noticeably not good in this game so far.
Shes been pretty bad, also very slow.
Layla Edward’s…woof
very fortunate that is only a minor
Captain making captain plays. 1-1

damn that shot from murphy looked like it was labeled for the corner. OT here we go
Laila Edwards to Hilary Knight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
USA! USA!!!
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
who's excited for 3v3 OT to win a gold medal!?!
kind of a bummer that that's what's going to decide it regardless of how it goes.
Yesterday three of the four men's quarterfinal games went to overtime. Today both the women's bronze and gold medal games go to overtime. Hockey is definitely a low scoring sport that lends itself to very tight games. This is exacerbated when the refs shallow their whistle letting the less talented team hook and hold.
How Canada has three power plays and the USA has had only one power play I will never know.
Doesn’t 3 on 3 favor US if they’re grabbing and holding us?
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
I can take Team USA men losing to Canada much better than Team USA women losing to Canada. Canada women have WAY TOO MUCH ARROGANCE to them. They know how to win and celebrate, but don't know how to lose with pride.
As bad as 3v3 is to decide a game like this it at least renders Canada's strategy of playing like the cows and hoping the refs call nothing significantly less effective.
What a fucking play by Murphy. Making up for her mistake
who's excited for 3v3 OT to win a gold medal!?!
kind of a bummer that that's what's going to decide it regardless of how it goes.
and if this OT ends tied they will go to a shoot out
Aloha!
Question: Dont watch much if any Womens international hockey but do they play 3 on 3 at other tournaments?
They just dont seem very good at it, compared to the NHL players that play it a lot.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Keller!!!!


