154 Likes
19.3 K Views
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @orion

@iceburg I'm always a bit amazed at how Eden Prairie has so much high end talent at the high school level but their youth program struggles.  Chalk one up to Breakaway Academy I suppose.

Or Made/Choice?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5634
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @orion

@iceburg I'm always a bit amazed at how Eden Prairie has so much high end talent at the high school level but their youth program struggles.  Chalk one up to Breakaway Academy I suppose.

Maybe they’re being taught the game and winning isn’t the #1 goal. I’m old school in the way that all your youth programs until varsity should be about teaching the basics and fundamentals and winning is not on the top of the list.

Keep your stick on the ice...

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

I guess I'm weird that as long as you're playing the game you should always work on the basics and fundamentals no matter the level.  As a wrestler that was 90% of any practice that I was participating in.  NOBODY is perfect.  

That is why there are hitting coaches in baseball

That is why there are throwing coaches in football

That is why there are skating coaches in hockey

And there is no hope for basketball players... ? 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Cowgirl and Greyeagle reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7239
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @g-manpuck

I guess I'm weird that as long as you're playing the game you should always work on the basics and fundamentals no matter the level.  As a wrestler that was 90% of any practice that I was participating in.  NOBODY is perfect.  

That is why there are hitting coaches in baseball

That is why there are throwing coaches in football

That is why there are skating coaches in hockey

And there is no hope for basketball players... ? 

I would agree with Gator in that youth levels should be more about fun and learning to be a good teammate, human, be healthy, and how to accept and learn from loss and not let it define you.   I think Vegoe posted something previously about Scandinavian countries where there is no formal competition allowed until after the age of 16.  Would love to see that here.  Kids could all learn the game and have fun, parents wouldn’t need to be a-holes. Kids without the right last name or without parents with deep pockets are all allowed to enjoy the game of hockey.  
Those who have natural talent or love the game that much to continue pursuing a career in hockey  can attend specialized leagues/training after high school.  When they are more mature physically, mentally and emotionally.  ?‍♀️

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @cowgirl

I would agree with Gator in that youth levels should be more about fun and learning to be a good teammate, human, be healthy, and how to accept and learn from loss and not let it define you.  

I can get behind that as well.  I equally don't want kids to get participation medals as be coached to winning is the only option.  As soon as there is a travel team in a sport it seems that winning is the only thing that is taught to kids by their parents and some coaches.  Just playing the game gets lost too early...it's sad.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 752

1. @gator I agree with what you said.  By struggle though I mean they don't field teams at all.  They had three bantam teams last year.  It's an odd situation where the high school team doesn't come up through the youth association.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

Hearing reports that Henry Boucha has passed. Appears to be confirmed by his daughter on Facebook  ? 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10537
Post on old board: 21741

Oh sad. 

I saw the St. Paul Saints FB page had something indicating he had passed.  What a guy....

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2567
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

? Another piece of my youth stripped away.

Chris83 reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10537
Post on old board: 21741

Boucha was a teammate of my former coach, boss, and still friend Jim McElmury on the '72 Olympic team plus one season in KC and one in Denver.

Found this cool compilations of cards when Mac & Henry played for the South while bumming around Google.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2567
Post on old board: 7833

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/bringmethenews/status/1716559027356705073

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Page 13 / 13