612 Posts
61 Users
154 Likes
19 K Views
Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 120

Congrats to Tonka....Edina played probably as well as they could play.  Tonka defeated Edina 3x this year; they were the best team throughout the year from start to finish & deserve the title.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I know they don't do a tourney MVP or whatever, but if it was up to me:

A: Drage. He just scored whenever they needed him to. The last-minute goal against hermantown and the 3rd period hat trick in the title game to force overtime were probably the most clutch performances I've seen since Rau.

AA: Jack Erickson. Almost took down the eventual champ by just playing his ass off in the quarterfinal. 40 saves Thursday. 28 Friday. And 41 more to win consolation. Doing all of that while playing behind a young and undersized team. Heck of an effort.

Greyeagle reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

I'm not sure if Warroad's big d-man (#25 ?) left the ice in the third or either OT.  Heck of a player and he was a horse.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I believe you are correct on it being #25. Ryan Lund. He is 6'3" and plays a lot for them. Just turned 17 within the last 2 weeks.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 261

Posted by: @greyeagle

I'm not sure if Warroad's big d-man (#25 ?) left the ice in the third or either OT.  Heck of a player and he was a horse.

Early '06 and he's probably 6'5" now. About a half foot taller than his dad who played at St. Cloud State!

I counted over ten shots on net for him today. Him and Slukinsky drafted by the Force.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2519
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil

Posted by: @greyeagle

Early '06 and he's probably 6'5" now. About a half foot taller than his dad who played at St. Cloud State!

I counted over ten shots on net for him today. Him and Slukinsky drafted by the Force.

Hockey Hub shows him with 18 shots on goal for the game ?

Who is his father? Not Billy Lund, the Roseau Mr. Hockey is it? Can’t be, Roseau/Warroad fraternisations aren’t allowed, are they? ?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @iceburg

Posted by: @gator

Is that Cowan kid from Edina on the Gophers radar?!?!?!

Cunning

Wonder if there’s any relation to Dave Cowan? Great player at Washburn back in the day. Had a solid career at Duluth. Drafted by the Caps in ‘83 but I don’t know if he played any pro hockey

A poster on the high school board posted this same question yesterday. Another poster thought Dave was his uncle. Did a little digging and THIS GUY is probably the father.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @chill-kessel

A: Drage. He just scored whenever they needed him to. The last-minute goal against hermantown and the 3rd period hat trick in the title game to force overtime were probably the most clutch performances I've seen since Rau.

AA: Jack Erickson. Almost took down the eventual champ by just playing his ass off in the quarterfinal. 40 saves Thursday. 28 Friday. And 41 more to win consolation. Doing all of that while playing behind a young and undersized team. Heck of an effort.

Definitely deserved and no fluke. They did it with defense last night. It's not too often that you see a 2-1 final in the AA title game.

The goal by Ashton Schultz was a beautiful as it was unexpected. What a great GWG that was just to get to the net and then putting it over the shoulder of the jolly green giant.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7473

The thing I find interesting is when ever Minnetonka was in a close game people would say Minnetonka is talented but they don't work together enough they play as individuals too much.

Playing well defensively is all about playing as a team.

In the three state tournament games they gave up a total of 56 shots so an average of 18.67 shots per game and one of the games went to over time giving their opponent additional time to potentially get shots.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1204
Post on old board: 6912

Congratulations to Warroad’s Jayson Shaugabay for winning the 2023 Mr. Hockey Award ☝️

Congratulations to 2023 Frank Brimsek Award Winner
Hampton Slukynsky - Warroad ☝️

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

The thing I find interesting is when ever Minnetonka was in a close game people would say Minnetonka is talented but they don't work together enough they play as individuals too much.

Playing well defensively is all about playing as a team.

In the three state tournament games they gave up a total of 56 shots so an average of 18.67 shots per game and one of the games went to over time giving their opponent additional time to potentially get shots.

A big part of that is they are more often playing at the other end of the rink. They just have a ton of talent up front and opposing defenses give them a lot of ice.

I thought they gave up way too many pucks in the first game and was a little lucky to move on. They were much better the next two games.

Eric Vegoe reacted
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

Hockey Hub shows him with 18 shots on goal for the game ?

Wow. He had 47 points this season. Fits my definition of an offensive defenseman! True, they had some cupcakes on their schedule but Warroad played good teams too. EGF, GR, Wayzata, Moorhead, Orono, Mahtomedi, Hermantown, off the top of my head.

Who is his father? Not Billy Lund, the Roseau Mr. Hockey is it? Can’t be, Roseau/Warroad fraternisations aren’t allowed, are they? ?

No, not Billy! It's Tom.

Iceburg reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Definitely deserved and no fluke. They did it with defense last night. It's not too often that you see a 2-1 final in the AA title game.

The goal by Ashton Schultz was a beautiful as it was unexpected. What a great GWG that was just to get to the net and then putting it over the shoulder of the jolly green giant.

Tonka was damn near perfect the last 6-7 minutes of the Andover game.  Flawless execution.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1276

Posted by: @gator

Is that Cowan kid from Edina on the Gophers radar?!?!?!

Cunning

I did notice that in the third period of the game Thursday he all of a sudden just kind of decided to start getting more involved in the offense. Edina had me scratching their head throughout the entire game and they were lucky to get through. They seemed like a team that was bigger and heavier on the puck, but their gapping was terrible once they got leads and just looked passive until Cowan started going.

They did respond better on Friday and Saturday, but I wasn't able to watch as closely after the first day.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1199

Haven't seen this posted yet...

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Cowgirl and gator reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6971
Post on old board: 18942

It's not a super good look, but the aforementioned STA player "parting the Red Sea" is in this at about 2:25:

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

The high school division of “USA Hockey’s” National championships will be at Plymouth Ice Center starting this Thursday. These teams are affiliated with “USA Hockey” and this is not like what we saw at the “X” recently, but there is the occasional diamond here. Gopher Ryan Johnson played in this tournament a few years back for his California high school coached by his father (and former Gopher Craig). Minnesota is represented by the Wayzata junior gold team.

Three divisions of boys teams and one girls. You can follow things HERE.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Looking at scores from the USA Hockey high school nationals going on at Plymouth this weekend. I see Grant Potulny has a son (Jackson) on the Shattuck AAA team that is playing in the Prep division of the tournament. Not Shattuck’s top team, but he has put up some nice numbers this season. He’s a junior.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

I hear that 2023-2024 section/level changes have been approved at today's MSHSL meeting, just waiting for an official announcement.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil

I hear that 2023-2024 section/level changes have been approved at today's MSHSL meeting, just waiting for an official announcement.

https://twitter.com/YouthHockeyHub/status/1644030339591839754?s=20

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Most here aren’t old enough to remember this name, but a big name in Minnesota hockey lore.

https://twitter.com/duluthhockey/status/1644126700416925700?s=20

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12504
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1657088347330736128

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2359
Post on old board: 11850

Interesting article as to why Larry Olimb was one-and-done at Orono.  No surprise…parents

https://www.therinklive.com/high-school/minnesota-hockey/minnesota-girls/one-and-done-heres-what-pushed-larry-olimb-to-resign-following-oronos-state-title-game-run

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Parents with stopwatches, over-inflated outlooks, and enormous self worth.  ?

HandyNotDan reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203
Post on old board: 6782

To the surprise to no one is that this is a problem with most all youth associations and school sports.  I prided myself for being a hands off parent and directed my children to advocate for themselves in their respective sports.  You want more playing time, work harder and get noticed.  Yes, some kids have the "coach knows who they are" thing going for them but if you out work them you earn it.  Make it hard on a coach to pass over you.  

My son had several coaches that just had no direct connection to parents at all and were so intentionally.  I don't blame them but ruins it for those with good intentions.  I see the argument on both sides and in some cases I don't blame either side.  This case however seems like there are some bleacher coaches in decent numbers.  I just don't see the sense in ousting a coach with that record in his first season.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

He made a misstep with that snarky email. Like he admitted it really opened a door that couldn’t be shut.

Not blaming him in the slightest, though. Just agreeing with his assessment of that piece of it. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It has been a busy day for The Rink Live and high school hockey.

https://www.therinklive.com/high-school/minnesota-hockey/minnesota-boys/complaint-alleges-misconduct-mismanagement-at-minnesota-hockey-school?fbclid=IwAR13k3Ehvugk1MooOZipksT97w5tpHybLfJKe_QOJpQ-6tsP24_cgp5bAIs

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7214
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @zwak

Interesting article as to why Larry Olimb was one-and-done at Orono.  No surprise…parents

https://www.therinklive.com/high-school/minnesota-hockey/minnesota-girls/one-and-done-heres-what-pushed-larry-olimb-to-resign-following-oronos-state-title-game-run

shaking head GIF

What a shame. Parents only wanting accolades and career furthering moves for THEIR kids.   They sound like a bunch of whiny sore losers who didn’t get their way and so they need to blame someone else.  These parents should all be forced to coach for a few weeks and see how they like it.  It’s an effing game, and kids in high school should still be allowed to have fun yet learn the rewards of hard work and how to be a good teammate, and person   Clearly they aren’t going to learn those things from their parents.  

Sad.  

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144

The snarky email he sent to the parents didn’t help, but sports parents are out of control.  Fewer coaches, fewer refs, physical burnout of their kids, it’s not a good trend.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 556

It sickens me that some parents are the way they are and live their lives through their kids and take control and just go about it in all the wrong ways. Every parent wants what’s best for their kids but some just don’t understand where to draw that line and let it go and accept it for what it is and enjoy it and be more grateful and in this case for the good coach and person that they had. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7214
Post on old board: 10120

I wonder if anyone thought to ask the girls on the team what their opinion was?  They will likely be the ones to suffer.   Those parents should be ashamed but probably will just blame someone else when the program takes a big step back next year.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Okay this made me snort laugh. 

https://twitter.com/ourjacques/status/1672736199981637633?s=46

Greyeagle reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

A lot of former players are bringing the heat towards the parents in that article.  Hope that works out for them.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7651
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @karlsson

Okay this made me snort laugh. 

https://twitter.com/ourjacques/status/1672736199981637633?s=46

Yeah, you ain't gonna rattle Lemaire. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Even Our Jaques is a rock!

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4368

Barreiro spent the whole second hour of the show talking about Orono.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sunday-sermons-w-dan-barreiro/id1254616546?i=1000618254138

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 597
Post on old board: 14946

There has always been parental politics in hockey in this state. There was in my youth days decades ago. But there is no doubt it has worsened as time has gone along. Too many parents think their kid is entitled to special treatment, special attention, etc. Expected to be coddled to the high heavens. My son/daughter "deserves" more!

Then those same kids grow up into the "real world" and don't know how to properly handle situations where they don't always get their way. They bring that same entitlement into adulthood. They are soft because of it.

My attitude toward these parents is "STFU... and teach your child to focus on working hard. Teach them to learn and earn it because that's what they will have to do as an adult." It sickens me the way some parents just expect special treatment. Makes me greatly appreciate many of the Gopher hockey parents I have gotten to know over the last few decades. Some good people who were humble even if they had a son who was a top player.

Honestly, intrusive parents are one of the things that I think people overlook too much when it comes to hockey recruiting. Probably because most fans don't know which potential recruits have "problem" parents and which have levelheaded/good parents. Occasionally, it pays to miss out on a top recruit for this reason. Be careful what you wish for because the talent isn't always worth it when it comes to the intangibles around a team.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Barreiro spent the whole second hour of the show talking about Orono.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sunday-sermons-w-dan-barreiro/id1254616546?i=1000618254138

It was a good "sermon" for sure. As a child in the 80s, and then later into the 90s, one could see this path happening with parents. I can't stand it. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203
Post on old board: 6782

Jess was on with PA this morning to talk about his article, overall PA spent about an hour and a half talking about this with Pat the Rat.  I agree with just about everyone when they say that this isn't just a high school hockey issue, it's a parenting issue with youth sports.  I get it, it's tough to want more for your kid but support your kid and leave the coaching and the reffing up to those who do it for a living.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 5547

The parents should not be allowed access to the coaches to make complaints about how the coach is doing his job. 24-4 in 1 season 

Aloha!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Those Orono parents can eat a D. 
"My kid is special, though!" No, not always. I'm not saying every coach is good, mind you, but I'd trust them more than armchair quarterbacks with a built-in bias. 

I wanted to be Larry Bird when I grew up. Parents flat-out said, "Yeah, not gonna happen. I know you love the sport, keep at it, but you're not that special." I actually appreciated them keeping me in check. They stated the realistic situation. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4601
Post on old board: 10695

Even worse, in his first season, the team lost a few games early in the season, then in the second half lost exactly one game... the state championship.  Somehow, that indicated that Olimb just didn't have what it took.  That's just absurd.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

The Rube reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5611
Post on old board: 16243

It would be funny if no one takes the coaching job at Orono and it falls on the parents. Just like association fees and taking turns volunteering at practices, games and tournaments.  

Keep your stick on the ice...

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1674241805737402369

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Hopefully his first move as coach will be informing about a half dozen families that there isn't much sense in their daughter even showing up for tryouts. 

Steve MN and gator reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Boy’s Elite League rosters for the coming season are out.

https://www.hselitehockey.com/news/congratulations-2023-rosters

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

@iceburg I'm always a bit amazed at how Eden Prairie has so much high end talent at the high school level but their youth program struggles.  Chalk one up to Breakaway Academy I suppose.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

RIP Warroad high school coach Michael Tveit.

I always looked forward to talking to him and his wife at the rink. So sad.

Page 12 / 13