34 Users
0 Likes
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786
Topic starter  

Offseason speculation now that the season is over.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 91

Why the hell did Guerin extend Goligoski in the middle of the season when his play was shit? The only thing I can think of is they had an under the table agreement on a 3 year 9mm contract but broke it into 2 contracts to have a large cap hit in year 1 when the Wild had space and then a smaller cap hit the next 2 years when money is going to be tight. This of course is against the rules. See: Joe Smith Timberwolves.

ReplyQuote
Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Any chance Bjugstad hangs em up? Guy has dealt with far too many injuries and at least he's potted $27MM plus before hitting 30.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Any chance Bjugstad hangs em up? Guy has dealt with far too many injuries and at least he’s potted $27MM plus before hitting 30.

He had some productive shifts w the team and probably has something left in the tank.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1204
Post on old board: 6912

Why the hell did Guerin extend Goligoski in the middle of the season when his play was shit? The only thing I can think of is they had an under the table agreement on a 3 year 9mm contract but broke it into 2 contracts to have a large cap hit in year 1 when the Wild had space and then a smaller cap hit the next 2 years when money is going to be tight. This of course is against the rules. See: Joe Smith Timberwolves.

Respectfully Disagree…Goli had a solid season, he may have led the team in + - but wore down physically near the end. And I can promise you one thing…he wasn’t a GIGANTIC Diva (like the guy who was bought out) and he essentially replaced…& if you don’t believe me, google some Jason Arnott quotes (he was a former teammate) of said Diva 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Goligoski had 25 points in the first 33 games. He had 5 points in the last 43 games. He's done

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Goligoski had 25 points in the first 33 games. He had 5 points in the last 43 games. He’s done

lol…oh ya, I damn near forgot, you know & see all.. .while Billy Guerin is a moron. Got it ?

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

I'm not the idiot comparing Alex Goligoski to Ryan Suter.

I'm also not the idiot that paid Ryan Suter $6M to go away, and then paid Alex Goligoski more money than Dallas is paying Suter.

ReplyQuote
Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

When do you have that next interview for your NHL GM job?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

As a guy who wouldn't even know how to put on a pair of skates, or draw up a simple breakout, yet spends his entire life bitching about Gopher players and coaches, you sure you want to throw that stone?

You think it takes an NHL insider to know that paying a healthy scratch $5M per is a bad idea? How about re-signing that healthy scratch for 2 years, after he turns 37 years old?

ReplyQuote
ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 199

I hope they build around a new core group, get some defense, and take a year to rebuild. Fans will know to look forward to better years ahead. Evason being gone would be a big restart, I don’t think any other coach would have had better results with what he had this year.  Maybe a new coach for a new core group of players is a good idea but they need some serious upgrade on defense. Get some D who can clear out bodies. I blame Chip Scoggins star trib columnist for Fleury not playing last night.
Don’t know if it would have mattered but that’s all I got. The players failed and there’s no success in playoffs for this team with the defense they have. It’s time to let some of them go.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Every loss the wild had they scored 2 goals or less, doesn’t really matter who your goalie is when that happens.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 5547

change there name to North Stars,

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

Can Guerin work a miracle and trade Spurgeon to Calgary or Edmonton?

Or go to Spurgeon and ask where he would be open to being traded?

ReplyQuote

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

Correct. Special teams was a disaster and only highlights this further.

Also on display was that the Wild don’t have a top 6 Center. The makeshift set up worked well in the regular season.

But in a matchup heavy playoff series against a good team you see pretty quickly the Gaudreau and Hartman are not top Centers.

The Wingers had to create everything out of thin air and only Kaprizov was able to accomplish that.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

As a guy who wouldn’t even know how to put on a pair of skates, or draw up a simple breakout, yet spends his entire life bitching about Gopher players and coaches, you sure you want to throw that stone? You think it takes an NHL insider to know that paying a healthy scratch $5M per is a bad idea? How about re-signing that healthy scratch for 2 years, after he turns 37 years old?

So your argument is that because he might not have played hockey you know better than him what it takes to field a successful NHL team?  What a pathetic attempt at a comeback.

Jesus you are so off base you have me defending bonin...I want you to go sit in the corner and feel shame because it takes one helluva bad take for that to happen!

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

As a guy who wouldn’t even know how to put on a pair of skates, or draw up a simple breakout, yet spends his entire life bitching about Gopher players and coaches, you sure you want to throw that stone? You think it takes an NHL insider to know that paying a healthy scratch $5M per is a bad idea? How about re-signing that healthy scratch for 2 years, after he turns 37 years old?

So your argument is that because he might not have played hockey you know better than him what it takes to field a successful NHL team? What a pathetic attempt at a comeback.

Jesus you are so off base you have me defending bonin…I want you to go sit in the corner and feel shame because it takes one helluva bad take for that to happen!

No, my point was that if I have to be employed by an NHL front office to have an opinion on the Wild and their decisions, then why does someone that has never even been on skates or behind a bench, get to rip the Gophers and their coaches constantly? Sorry that it was difficult for you to understand. Maybe you could spend some time in a corner and try to FIO.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7214
Post on old board: 10120

And the Wild thread returns to its full glory.  Sigh.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

And the Wild thread returns to its full glory. Sigh.

it’s pathetic when a RUBE (who’s in reality just like the rest of us, rubes) posts opinions on GPL the thrust being that Billy is an obtuse GM but HE (J22) has all the answers. What makes it so comical is that he’s literally espoused that attitude ever since he joined the board ? lmfao…it’s OK to disagree with other posters, but that doesn’t give any of us carte Blanche…to be a consistent RICHARD

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

it’s pathetic when a RUBE (who’s in reality just like the rest of us, rubes) posts opinions on GPL the thrust being that Billy is an obtuse GM but HE (J22) has all the answers. What makes it so comical is that he’s literally espoused that attitude ever since he joined the board ? lmfao…it’s OK to disagree with other posters, but that doesn’t give any of us carte Blanche…to be a consistent RICHARD

Pathetic would be if I joined a Nashville Predators message board to constantly talk about the Wild. 

All that I did was add some statistics to the Goligoski conversation and then you decided to make it personal.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3954
Post on old board: 9428

Pathetic would be if I joined a Nashville Predators message board to constantly talk about the Wild. All that I did was add some statistics to the Goligoski conversation and then you decided to make it personal.

So you get called out for being a condescending, disrespectful know-it-all and your reply is to double and triple down? Did it occur to you that Goli may have been playing hurt the last half of they year when he tailed off? You just decide how who you want to hate and then shape your argument to prove it and ignore everything else.

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

This is why many of us have that guy blocked on multiple sites

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2519
Post on old board: 7833

“Jon Merrill, Ryan Hartman, Matt Boldy Added to U.S. Men’s National Team Roster”

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1225471

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12504
Post on old board: 9626

A couple of Wild notes from Russo--

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1526253718605266949

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1526259670066679811

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

And Dumba was still their best defenseman against the Blues. Really sucks that Guerin gave the NMC's to the guys that need to go

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

And Dumba was still their best defenseman against the Blues. Really sucks that Guerin gave the NMC’s to the guys that need to go

Guerin was just interviewed by Barrario on KFAN. It’s worth a listen and among the things he said…he definitely had Dumba’s back during the interview & noted Dumba played threw an injury in the playoffs. He also basically challenged Barrario on the notion that (only Dumba) is the particular D that could or possibly will be traded this off-season.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

My other takeaway from the interview is that Guerin plans on trading Fiala and likely has planned to do this all along. He made a particular comment about Fiala to the effect “he played well for 3 months” (during the regular season). I like Fiala, his 85 points & explosive skating a lot! But don't think he's back next year with the Wild.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

And Dumba was still their best defenseman against the Blues. Really sucks that Guerin gave the NMC’s to the guys that need to go

Guerin was just interviewed by Barrario on KFAN. It’s worth a listen and among the things he said…he definitely had Dumba’s back during the interview & noted Dumba played threw an injury in the playoffs. He also basically challenged Barrario on the notion that (only Dumba) is the particular D that could or possibly will be traded this off-season.

Guerin is great in interviews. Says all the right things and really comes off as a guy that you would want to play for. I just wish that he would actually follow through with even half of all the tough talk sound bites he gives. If it really is "all about winning" then he will find a way to start next season with Fiala and Dumba on the roster.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7393

Looking like Fiala for New Jersey’s second overall then drafting Cooley is a somewhat real possibility. That would be pretty cool. Wouldn’t hurt attendance too.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Looking like Fiala for New Jersey’s second overall then drafting Cooley is a somewhat real possibility. That would be pretty cool. Wouldn’t hurt attendance too.

Isn’t Fiala a free agent?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7214
Post on old board: 10120

Can I interest anyone in a custom Wild jersey……?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7393

That's what I thought but people on Twitter have been sputtering about this potential move for a couple days now. Wouldn't be the first time people on Twitter were wrong. Far from it.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Restricted free agent

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

He's a restricted free agent, so the Wild will end up with some sort of compensation.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6971
Post on old board: 18942

Can I interest anyone in a custom Wild jersey……?

/insert MRGREEN or LOL

The smiley options suck!

/insert sticks out tongue

ReplyQuote

F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden

Looks like Slafkovsky is the new consensus #2 overall pick.

ReplyQuote
Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

There is not a consensus #2. It's just that if it's the Devils drafting they won't go Cooley. So you're probably seeing that in mock drafts.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Getting Cooley would be an interesting consolation for losing Fiala

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12504
Post on old board: 9626

A couple of Wild players will have surgery.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1531310577917734914

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden

Bonin21 wrote...

There is not a consensus #2. It’s just that if it’s the Devils drafting they won’t go Cooley. So you’re probably seeing that in mock drafts.

The Athletic now has Slafkovsky as the #1 overall pick.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1164

frozen4champs wrote...

#mnwild captain Jared Spurgeon had core muscle surgery and is expected back to full strength in 6 weeks. Hampered him since before Winter Classic, I believe.

RW Mats Zuccarello is having similar surgery/same timetable. He also had a fracture in leg that will heal with rest.— Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) May 30, 2022

Why do I feel like a baseball, basketball, or soccer player wouldn't play through those kinds of injuries?  (btw I played all of those sports into adulthood)

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Idontknow wrote...
frozen4champs wrote…

#mnwild captain Jared Spurgeon had core muscle surgery and is expected back to full strength in 6 weeks. Hampered him since before Winter Classic, I believe.

RW Mats Zuccarello is having similar surgery/same timetable. He also had a fracture in leg that will heal with rest.— Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) May 30, 2022

Why do I feel like a baseball, basketball, or soccer player wouldn’t play through those kinds of injuries?  (btw I played all of those sports into adulthood)

For soccer....May be because pro soccer teams act like a herd of fainting goats?

For baseball......buxton effect?

For basketball.....Idontcare

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6971
Post on old board: 18942

On another site there's one dude that swears Wild have to trade Dumba and find a way to keep Fiala.  While I won't outright argue against either one of them, let's face it their biggest problems leading to their demise were:

-Inconsistent goaltending
-Terrible PP and PK
-Their offense disappeared in the playoffs
-Evason is now 6-11 as a HC in the playoffs with the Wild

How many playoff teams would trade their starting G for Fleury or Talbot.  Also can Evason lead a team past Round 1?

As far as the Golden Boy Fiala is concerned all time in the playoffs he has 35 GP, 15 points, 36 PIM and a +/- of -14.  All 3 of those are a complete reversal from his regular season stats.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

The Dumba/Fiala debate is really rather stupid. Both guys are top 4 players on the roster. Trading either one is going to leave a giant hole in the lineup.

If Guerin really was "all about winning" he would be working on a way to get Spurgeon off the roster asap.

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

Slap Shot wrote...

On another site there’s one dude that swears Wild have to trade Dumba and find a way to keep Fiala.  While I won’t outright argue against either one of them, let’s face it their biggest problems leading to their demise were:

-Inconsistent goaltending
-Terrible PP and PK
-Their offense disappeared in the playoffs
-Evason is now 6-11 as a HC in the playoffs with the Wild

How many playoff teams would trade their starting G for Fleury or Talbot.  Also can Evason lead a team past Round 1?

As far as the Golden Boy Fiala is concerned all time in the playoffs he has 35 GP, 15 points, 36 PIM and a +/- of -14.  All 3 of those are a complete reversal from his regular season stats.

Their biggest problem is they don’t have anything close to resembling a top 6 center which is a big reason for the PP issue and also the overall scoring issue.

Their hybrid style offense is great in the regular season when Zuccarrello and Boldy played more of the Center responsibilities setting the tone for their lines.

In the matchup heavy playoffs against a 4 seed like the Blues, opponents aren’t going to have to tough of a time shutting down Hartman and Gaudreau.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Idontknow wrote...
frozen4champs wrote…

Why do I feel like a baseball, basketball, or soccer player wouldn’t play through those kinds of injuries?  (btw I played all of those sports into adulthood)

Because they are smart?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

J22 wrote...

The Dumba/Fiala debate is really rather stupid. Both guys are top 4 players on the roster. Trading either one is going to leave a giant hole in the lineup.

If Guerin really was “all about winning” he would be working on a way to get Spurgeon off the roster asap.

Honest question: does anyone in the world (besides the negative nancies around here like Eeyore) actually think your takes make any sense?  If they do they should definitely have their ability to make decisions for themselves taken away from them.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

HandyNotDan wrote...
J22 wrote…

If Guerin really was “all about winning” he would be working on a way to get Spurgeon off the roster asap.

Honest question: does anyone in the world (besides the negative nancies around here like Eeyore) actually think your takes make any sense?  If they do they should definitely have their ability to make decisions for themselves taken away from them.

Honest question: Which one of my above "takes" doesn't make any sense to you.

Would really love for you to enlighten me with your vast knowledge of the Minnesota Wild, and the sport of hockey on general.

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

HandyNotDan wrote...
J22 wrote…

What doesn't make sense here?

No one wants to trade Dumba/Fiala. If they do trade one of them, there is no way their production can be replaced next season and realistically probably for a few years.

If Spurgeon didn't have a no move clause how would anyone choose to keep Spurgeon over Dumba or Fiala, what would be the reasoning? From a business (cap sense & years under contract) and also talent on the ice sense. Spurgeon is 33 next year, Dumba is 5 years younger and Fiala 7. It is almost stupid when you say it out loud that Fiala has 7 seasons of hockey before he reaches Spurgeon's current age, that is more than half a career.

So what makes it tricky is yes he has a no move clause. But that doesn't change the fact that it is still the Wild's best business decision & hockey decision given the cap dilemma they are in. And just because it is tricky for Guerin doesn't mean he should forgo making the best move he can for the organization.

The trade sitting right there that Spurgeon would probably allow is going home to Edmonton. And the timing for the Oilers to make such a move couldn't be better as reality is smacking them in the face right now. Everyone knows they are in the Finals because of the playoff format, they are a good team but they aren't a great team. Their D and Goaltending are horrible.

Their D situation isn't only bad now but it is in shambles how they are set up right now.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

ReplyQuote

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

With the position they are in they need to figure out a way to trade Spurgeon even if they have to borderline give him away. Any other option is much less desirable.

It’s kind of unfortunate that all of these players were also not very impactful in the playoffs.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5