Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

They got the Ban Hammer after backing out of a game like cowards.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Like most things, there are conflicting reports on why they aren't in it. Michigan claims they don't want to play in a tournament between Christmas and New Years because of all of the lost players to the World Jrs. The GLI has said they would welcome them back in the future. I'm sure it is a combo of things, but like you said, the dodging of Western was a major factor.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1265

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Like most things, there are conflicting reports on why they aren't in it. Michigan claims they don't want to play in a tournament between Christmas and New Years because of all of the lost players to the World Jrs. The GLI has said they would welcome them back in the future. I'm sure it is a combo of things, but like you said, the dodging of Western was a major factor.

The WJC is the big reason for it. They did schedule a home and home with Western this past year for October -- we'll see if they keep playing each other going forward, but I think most coaches who have rosters that routinely lose players to the WJC are being smarter about scheduling at the end of December and early January.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 556

Haven't see this make the rounds quite yet, but it may have profound implications on B1G expansion.

https://twitter.com/AAUniversities/status/1664301258587484164?s=20

Jupiter ♃ reacted
Orion
(@orion)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

Haven't see this make the rounds quite yet, but it may have profound implications on B1G expansion.

No UND? 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6915
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @orion

No UND? 

IALTO

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1223
Post on old board: 5547

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gopher6

https://www.uscho.com/2023/06/06/atlantic-hockey-college-hockey-america-to-merge-operations-beginning-with-2024-25-college-hockey-season/

That's hilarious!  I assume the PSU logo is there for the women's team, but it also works perfectly for the men's..... LOL

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7379

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4342

Definitely hope he moves on lol

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 260

Probably waiting on who drafts him and what the situation there is.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

Rumor has it Arizona State to become 9th member of the Nacho conference 

Aloha!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5589
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @gopher6

Rumor has it Arizona State to become 9th member of the Nacho conference 

I've always had the impression that the NaCHo was looking for a 9th member in case someone decides to leave, like Miami.

Keep your stick on the ice...

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1668724695045230592?s=46&t=AvtsG2WfNuGRyXzbYJqB7g

Odd one. Maine adds a defenseman who played KHL games last year. Not sure how he has eligibility. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1787
Post on old board: 8686

I'm going to assume gopher6 was trying to link to this news vs. plug tickets for Alabama's Club hockey team:

Auburn hockey taking step up to D1 | Sports | auburnvillager.com

On Monday, College Hockey South announced that Auburn, along with Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and the University of Tampa, will create a new D1 division of college hockey within Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) College Hockey.

It's still only Club hockey, but it sets things in motion for a move to NCAA at some point.  Hopefully we'll see some more push from our part of the world (Iowa, Illinois, etc.).

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

@jwg 

yes when I looked up Alabama hockey the site said multiple southern schools looking to ad men’s hockey to to the NCAA programs but when I tried to copy the link on my IPhone it just showed the schedule link

Aloha!

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4559
Post on old board: 28736

That is really cool!

Cowgirl reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2206

Fantilli to Columbus. Imagine they'd want him to come in

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4342

For those who follow it closer, is Fantilli expected to sign?

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@mikeeruzione11 Columbus wants him to come in, he’s said he’ll see

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @upnorthkid

If he plays for MI this year, I will be surprised.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @upnorthkid

If he plays for MI this year, I will be surprised. 

I'm on the opposite. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play for Michigan.  Plus it'll be great entertainment if and when he announces he's coming back, Michigan fans chirping about how he's already the Hobey Baker winner back to back.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I’ll throw a hot take out there: Jimmy Snuggerud is my preseason Hobey pick, even if Fantilli and obviously Cooley play. 

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

I think Fantilli could come back. Columbus isn't competing this year. Another down year for them can get them another high end talent. Fantilli can play against good competition in the Big Ten, compete for a National Title, and still sign/burn a year after the college season ends.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@gopherhockeyfan7 per their GM

Fantilli) could make our (free agent) decisions a little bit harder now that we feel that we’re going to get a roster player for next year and we’ve already got quite a big number of (NHL roster players),” he said. “You can only have 23 on your roster, so we’re probably going to have to do something if we want to get into the UFA market.”

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5143

Fantilli signs three year deal. 

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Fantilli signs three year deal. 

Im glad I posted he would be staying and cursing Cesspool U fans… the Kool Aid isn’t going be so thick this season in Whoreville.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It is official...

https://twitter.com/gopherstate/status/1676631565139410955?t=_YTVSsJJJ72NSlu4UtjTUQ&s=19

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

It is official...

https://twitter.com/gopherstate/status/1676631565139410955?t=_YTVSsJJJ72NSlu4UtjTUQ&s=19

Wow-- good for both sides.

I will be interested to see if ASU signed on to the high exit fee for the NCHC.  They would have the leverage to say "no thank you" to that, which would come into play if the PAC-12 implodes and the B1G comes calling for other AAU schools in that conference (as ASU is now AAU).

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2194
Post on old board: 6782

Does this now give Miami(Ohio) the out they are looking for to join the CCHA?  Does the NCHC give them that out without the exit fee?  I guess we will watch and see.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Does this now give Miami(Ohio) the out they are looking for to join the CCHA?  Does the NCHC give them that out without the exit fee?  I guess we will watch and see.

I either said it here or on fb a month or so ago. If ASU joins the NCHC does Miami leave. Only time will tell.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I will be interested to see if ASU signed on to the high exit fee for the NCHC.  They would have the leverage to say "no thank you" to that, which would come into play if the PAC-12 implodes and the B1G comes calling for other AAU schools in that conference (as ASU is now AAU).

Now that ASU is AAU, when will UND (lol) become AAU?!?!?! Cause as much as UND fans want to make fun of the BIG, UND would signed the dotted line before the ink was dry to join the BIG.  And they would come at the mercy of the BIG with no request or demands.  They would be the "yes sir" "no sir" college of the conference. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Along with ASU, here's a list other colleges becoming AAU in 2023

- George Washington University

- University of California - Riverside

- University of Miami

- University of Notre Dame

- University of South Florida

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

@gator

what does AAU stand for?

Aloha!

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Association of American Universities

gator reacted
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @gator

Posted by: @g-manpuck

I either said it here or on fb a month or so ago. If ASU joins the NCHC does Miami leave. Only time will tell.

Based on Schlossman's article, NCHC is planning for Miami to leave because they've already thought of scheduling pods: https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/arizona-state-headed-to-nchc-in-2024-25

"It will use a three-team pod setup, where UND will play Minnesota Duluth and St. Cloud State four times per season. The other pods are expected to be Western Michigan-Miami-Omaha and Arizona State-Colorado College-Denver.

Teams will play every member outside of their pod in at least one series per season. It will play two non-pod members in two series."

These pods actually do make a ton of sense. Also making sense would be to partner with another odd numbered league to make sure teams don't have a bye headed into the last 'regular week' of the season.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

Now that ASU is AAU, when will UND (lol) become AAU?!?!?! Cause as much as UND fans want to make fun of the BIG, UND would signed the dotted line before the ink was dry to join the BIG.  And they would come at the mercy of the BIG with no request or demands.  They would be the "yes sir" "no sir" college of the conference. 

One does not apply to the AAU. They invite you if you are deemed worthy.

Much depends on research dollars. You need to be preeminent in research spending to be in the conversation.  

According to rankings like this, UND has a long way to go- being ranked behind academic stalwarts like Portland State and UNLV is not really getting you on the AAU radar. 

https://www.scimagoir.com/rankings.php?country=USA&page=2

gator and trixR4kids reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

@eric-vegoe 

how can a conference complete like this playing pods it looks to me like they will have a problem getting the NCAA to approve this

Aloha!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 10695

It's the kind of scheduling that's always been used for leagues bigger than 8 teams.  They'll play their pod-mates 2 series every year, plus 2 series against two other teams (likely rotating in some manner) but only 1 series against the remaining 4 teams.

Gives a 24 game conference season, same as B1G.

The only real difference is that it's 2 other opponents that you're locked into playing two series every year, instead of just 1 like we had in the WCHA when it was 10+ teams.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1677078727094595584

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level

I've heard people questioning if Minnesota was going to hire one of their volunteers as the fourth full-time coach on staff. I think we've heard coaches talk about hiring someone to be a full time recruiter or scout or goalie coach. Well I had it confirmed that if they were to hire an fourth full-time assistant coach, then they lose the ability to have volunteer coaches. I don't think Bob Motzko has addressed this publicly, but Minnesota is in a good spot having Paul Martin and Brennan Poderzay on staff and wants to keep both. If one of them were hired, then one of them wouldn't be able to be a volunteer.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/01/11_NCAA-Approves-Addition-of.php

The transformative committee did discuss allowing coaching staffs and scholarship totals to be unlimited, but that's not how it's being put into practice... yet.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1681415499543089152  

Maybe Alex Bump will be in the portal at next year ? 

umnhcky
(@umnhcky)
Member Golden
Rep Pts: 2

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Trader Moe going pro.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1681820899698155522

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2488
Post on old board: 7833

Not Mariucci, but a pretty cool video.

https://twitter.com/YouthHockeyHub/status/1682046481984000000?s=20

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level