48 Users
59 Likes
GPL
 GPL
(@gpl)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 57
Topic starter  

Just cleaning things up a bit... Removed the 2023-24 season thread. (It is was too early for that)

Discuss the off-season here for all things NCAA Men's Hockey.

This is just a GPL account for creating threads.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12489
Post on old board: 9626

Looks like NMU and MN are at about the same stage on their summer projects.

https://twitter.com/NMUHockey/status/1650485059412017154

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5146

Muckalt out at Michigan. 

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4598
Post on old board: 10695

Sarcastic Oh No GIF by CBC

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ConnorEaregood/status/1654163385146015745

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2214

@frozen4champs it is a big difference between he and Cooley with Fantilli being 6’2” vs Cooleys 5’10”. Not saying this is the reason Cooley comes back vs Fantilli leave, but it’s an easier transition for the bigger guy

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@frozen4champs it is a big difference between he and Cooley with Fantilli being 6’2” vs Cooleys 5’10”. Not saying this is the reason Cooley comes back vs Fantilli leave, but it’s an easier transition for the bigger guy

Fantilli is considerably ahead of Cooley physically. Cooley needs another year of maturity, weight training etc.

Staying in college would be a much better experience than getting the crap knocked out of him in the AHL.

upnorthkid reacted

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I doubt he’d be in the AHL much but who knows. I do think him honing his game in college wouldn’t be a terrible idea though, he can shore up some weaknesses and start the year even better than he did a year ago and be an even more dominant player. 

I wouldn’t fault him for moving on though, probably the first gopher player I can remember (post 2006 when I started watching) that actually would make sense leaving after only one year. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

I thought Knies was more ready after his freshman year than Cooley, and the added year helped him a lot. 

Cooley could get knocked around in the big leagues much in the same way CM did. It took him a couple years to play consistently for Buffalo and easily could have stayed in college through his Junior year.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6926
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @streakygopher

I thought Knies was more ready after his freshman year than Cooley, and the added year helped him a lot. 

Cooley could get knocked around in the big leagues much in the same way CM did. It took him a couple years to play consistently for Buffalo and easily could have stayed in college through his Junior year.

I agree. Yet there are a lot of different moving parts for every player so who knows. We've seen players leave early that never pan out, players leave early that struggled but eventually figured it out, etc. I think Cooley could use another year both physically and for maturity, but I wouldn't fault him in the least for making the jump.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4564
Post on old board: 28736

Yeah by the end of the year he was dominant and one of the 2 best players in the country.  If the benchmark is "dominate a level before moving up" he has passed that.  

But I think he is not ready for "The Show" yet.  He will get pushed around a lot and his penchant for stirring it up will get him in trouble.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/AugieMHockey/status/1654501209300955138

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1225
Post on old board: 5547

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2195
Post on old board: 6782

Full rebuild for the Mavs front office now...

https://twitter.com/OhioStateMHKY/status/1658881134506147857

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Just heard that the strength & conditioning coach is leaving MSU as well for Wisconsin.  Strand will be announcing two coaches very soon, they are in Mankato now working out the details.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Wow...I mean he really screwed you guys!  Either that or no one else wants to join him...

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/MinnStMHockey/status/1660711510627196937

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

He looks thrilled

Bertogliat reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1994

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Hastings adds a non Kato assistant.

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/ushl/fargo-force-head-coach-nick-oliver-done-after-one-season-set-to-join-mike-hastings-staff-at-wisconsin?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=breaking&utm_content=500001&utm_market=trl

Hastings probably thought he needed to bring someone in who could relate to college age players.

F Da Sue reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @norm

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/ushl/fargo-force-head-coach-nick-oliver-done-after-one-season-set-to-join-mike-hastings-staff-at-wisconsin?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=breaking&utm_content=500001&utm_market=trl

Hastings probably thought he needed to bring someone in who could relate to college age players.

tv show yes GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1145

Posted by: @g-manpuck

https://twitter.com/MinnStMHockey/status/1660711510627196937

Seems like he doesn't last very long wherever he goes.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_G._Ward

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Seems like he doesn't last very long wherever he goes. 

His job progression is a little more clear when you look it up on IHDB. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56932

He seems a little more deliberate in his rise in the coaching ranks until his dismissal at Abbotsford.  Since then he has done some pro scouting before being GM in Sioux City last season.  Who knows, he could be just using this as his next step in his coaching life.  Strand kind of has a similar road map leading up to Mankato.  Maybe it all crashes and burns...who knows. 

I think everywhere outside of the college hockey ranks coaches are kind of like a dime a dozen and consistency in the coaches office is not at a premium.  College coaches get about 4-6 years to prove their worth before they are recycled.  It seems in juniors and the minors it's not that way. 

Anyway, from my discussions with Mav fans they aren't concerned about the many steps taken by their current coaches that led them to Mankato.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

This is a big step down with respect to facilities.  Fargo Rink much better than Kohl Center.  

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 983

Don Adam will no longer be the Supervisor of Officials for the NCHC: 

https://www.uscho.com/2023/05/25/nchc-announces-director-of-officiating-adam-no-longer-with-conference-as-change-made-no-reason-given/

I also believe that Kevin Langseth is stepping down from the same position with the CCHA.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @fightclub30

Don Adam will no longer be the Supervisor of Officials for the NCHC: 

https://www.uscho.com/2023/05/25/nchc-announces-director-of-officiating-adam-no-longer-with-conference-as-change-made-no-reason-given/

I also believe that Kevin Langseth is stepping down from the same position with the CCHA.

On a related note--

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1661767968613605376

Greyeagle reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I wonder when it will start affecting the resources for the hockey team.

https://www.startribune.com/st-cloud-state-deepens-previously-announced-cuts-to-programs-faculty/600278407/

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I would guess soon.  Enrollment is down across the board in the state system (I teach in it) so unless they start charging more it's gonna hurt until they figure out mechanisms for getting more students there. (Which are coming)

Could be some lean years though...

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

My kids played in a hockey tourney in St Cloud a few weeks ago.  Some of the games were at the National Hockey Center.  Since we were there we drove around campus to get a basis for comparison.  It is in rough shape.  It's going to be hard to attract prospective students there in my opinion.

Having attended the U, I am probably a bit spoiled for universities in the region.  But we have to start looking at colleges soon to weed out the crappy ones.  The U needs to fix their security on campus soon or I am going to have a tough time convincing my wife it is a top contender.

Back on topic, I have to imagine the declining state of the St Cloud campus has to eventually play into the quality of recruits they get for hockey.  It is a dump.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6926
Post on old board: 18942

What have you heard about security being a big issue at the U?  I know there's been a few occurrences, but afaik they've added to their campus security, increased lighting, increased call boxes, and both my kids have said they've never encountered anything of alarm so far the past two school years. That's not to suggest it's been perfect. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

What have you heard about security being a big issue at the U?  I know there's been a few occurrences, but afaik they've added to their campus security, increased lighting, increased call boxes, and both my kids have said they've never encountered anything of alarm so far the past two school years. That's not to suggest it's been perfect. 

I keep hearing issues popping up in the news and on Twitter.  I know Blaine High School had to move prom from the McNamara Center to the high school gym at last minute because they were concerned for student safety.  It's peaked my interest since then and the problems don't seen to be going away.  Sounds like Dinkytown is a mess lately and the Minneapolis Police control that area and they haven't been as responsive and the Campus police would be for issues on campus.

https://www.kare11.com/amp/article/news/local/marcy-holmes-host-safety-meeting-in-response-to-dinkytown-crime/89-16361b0b-0076-44a4-9822-2fbafce82b5d

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/video/city-leaders-police-discuss-solutions-for-dinkytown-crime/#x

HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 527

My daughter will be a 10th grader next year and is starting to think about college.  I'm a St. Cloud alum (insert joke here) and I won't allow my daughter to go to SCSU.  The school is a shell of it's former self, and the town is a mess.  Before people here get too smug, I would also highly discourage her from attending the U of M because of the well known safety issues Bertogliat mentioned.  I love Gopher hockey, but sorry.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @hockeybum

My daughter will be a 10th grader next year and is starting to think about college.  I'm a St. Cloud alum (insert joke here) and I won't allow my daughter to go to SCSU.  The school is a shell of it's former self, and the town is a mess.  Before people here get too smug, I would also highly discourage her from attending the U of M because of the well known safety issues Bertogliat mentioned.  I love Gopher hockey, but sorry.

My daughter just finished her freshman year at the U.  No safety issues for her.  Yep, it's a large urban campus and there is crime around it and you need to use common sense in that context.  The U also has multiple ways you can get around at night.  You can call for someone to walk you home and they also have a free U of M taxi also that will take you home.  My daughter is not the partying type so she didn't use any of those, but they are available and are free.

U of M has a pretty similar crime rate to U of Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Tennessee, and OSU. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @hockeybum

My daughter just finished her freshman year at the U.  No safety issues for her.  Yep, it's a large urban campus and there is crime around it and you need to use common sense in that context.  The U also has multiple ways you can get around at night.  You can call for someone to walk you home and they also have a free U of M taxi also that will take you home.  My daughter is not the partying type so she didn't use any of those, but they are available and are free.

U of M has a pretty similar crime rate to U of Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Tennessee, and OSU. 

The recent upward trend in crime isn't likely to hit the stats for campus for some time.  And even then, much of it has been in the Dinkytown area.  Technically off campus, but not really.  We're still a few years away form having to make the decision ourselves.  But my wife is a high school guidance counselor so she'll be watching like a hawk.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I mean...the U want exactly safe when I went there 20 years ago.

Slap Shot reacted

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@handyman in all honesty, I don’t think I’d classify any college campus as “safe”, particularly given the prevalence of binge drinking and kids away from home for the first time coupled with some not fully developed frontal cortices

HandyNotDan reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

There are campuses that are a bit more "enclosed" than the U, which theoretically make them safer, due to less factors. That being said, With everyone reporting everything every day given the technology we have...I'll roll with Handy on this one, and say the U area is no more dangerous (relatively compared to surrounding areas or other campuses) than the past. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

KinPer
(@kinper)
Rep Pts: 3

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Seems like he doesn't last very long wherever he goes. 

His job progression is a little more clear when you look it up on IHDB. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56932

He seems a little more deliberate in his rise in the coaching ranks until his dismissal at Abbotsford.  Since then he has done some pro scouting before being GM in Sioux City last season.  Who knows, he could be just using this as his next step in his coaching life.  Strand kind of has a similar road map leading up to Mankato.  Maybe it all crashes and burns...who knows. 

It reminds me of online roulette, which I sometimes play. No matter how hard you try, it's hard to come up with a system of your own. In roulette, everything is accounted for, just like in hockey. And mobile roulette is even more complicated, you can check it out here. You can select sites there, test it out. You can play for real money as well as for free.

I think everywhere outside of the college hockey ranks coaches are kind of like a dime a dozen and consistency in the coaches office is not at a premium.  College coaches get about 4-6 years to prove their worth before they are recycled.  It seems in juniors and the minors it's not that way. 

Anyway, from my discussions with Mav fans they aren't concerned about the many steps taken by their current coaches that led them to Mankato.

Yes, 4-6 years is the length of time in which a coach will either become a sought-after coach, or will come to a new team for 1-2 years and then leave again for another team. There are not many good coaches, if we think about it.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

There are campuses that are a bit more "enclosed" than the U, which theoretically make them safer, due to less factors. That being said, With everyone reporting everything every day given the technology we have...I'll roll with Handy on this one, and say the U area is no more dangerous (relatively compared to surrounding areas or other campuses) than the past. 

I looked at the Minneapolis crime reports for 2023 for the U of M area and the only thing that really jumped out at me as surprising was the number of auto thefts.  All other crime was actually lower than what I would have expected.

I think now that A) we're older and many of us have kids of our own, we are more sensitive to any crime news we hear related to our kids (in this case, where they would go to college), and B) with social media and instant news on our phones, a lot of crimes are made public that 20 years ago we never would have even known about. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@idontknow the car jacking stuff has seemed to target healthcare areas where they know cars will be parked for extended periods of time and people milling about lots wouldn’t be unheard of, which may be part of it (is happening at both the U Fairview site as well as the Minneapolis VA that im aware of)

but I definitely agree with your overall premise

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

ASU released its schedule and NO B1G teams are traveling to Tempe.  It is kind of odd that there was an "agreement" that when ASU played a B1G schedule that it was agreed that the B1G teams would return the favor and only the Gophers have lived up to that agreement so far. You would think it would be a no brainer for schools to play there so their fanbase could travel to the warmth and sunshine.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

ASU released its schedule and NO B1G teams are traveling to Tempe.  It is kind of odd that there was an "agreement" that when ASU played a B1G schedule that it was agreed that the B1G teams would return the favor and only the Gophers have lived up to that agreement so far. You would think it would be a no brainer for schools to play there so their fanbase could travel to the warmth and sunshine.

Penn State is eyeballing some Atlantic Hockey teams as the moment.

I heard Wisconsin is trying to take Mankato's opponents over to Madison's schedule.

g-manpuck reacted

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

I heard Wisconsin is trying to take Mankato's opponents over to Madison's schedule.

After officially adding Mankato's strength coach to BADgerland I heard that Mankato's custodian is in contract talks to make the move as well...tense negotiations with Hastings from what I hear. ? 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I found it interesting that Wisconsin didn't have a strength and conditioning coach up to Hastings' standards.  Or maybe the Badger S&C coach can only be bothered to support football and basketball?

You'd think a B1G program with higher end DI football, basketball, wrestling, etc would have a pretty good strength and conditioning coach/staff.  They must have had a hidden gem in Mankato.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Or Hastings just wants to surround himself with the familiar.  Like Jerry Kill did.

I'm skeptical of most of the decisions Hastings has made but we will see I guess. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It is also easier to cut bait with players/personal before year #1 than to cut people after a year or 2. This way he can just say he wanted his "own" people. If he starts firing people after year 1 it may not look as good optics wise. The BADger administration better hope this works as they are investing a ton of money and faith in Hastings. I'm sure Dan "Horns down" Myers is having a hard time trying to defend Hastings at this point.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

They must have had a hidden gem in Mankato.

I will say this about Inkrott and his tenure as S&C coach at Mankato.  Look at the entire athletic departments track record over the last 14 years as far as post season accolades go.  Just about every sport has made a mark in the post season or has shown improvement over that time.  I think a lot of that can be pointed at the job Inkrott and his staff did.  

I believe that Inkrott probably couldn't pass up the money and then the fact he can focus on one sport instead of the entire department.  In actuality he really only focused on football and hockey but his real interest was hockey.  

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Is this the same coach that had McKay on PED's?

MATT reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @j22

That was my next question.  

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @j22

That was my next question.  

"Supposedly"...the supplement in question was not from the S&C coach.  Though at one time Mr. Inkrott did have his own whey protein blend that he used to sell.  But yes, Inkrott was the coach during Richter McKay's tenure at MSU.

Page 1 / 5