29 Users
12 Likes
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Lots of questions need to be answered.  A ton of UFA's including Nyquist, Sundqvist, Reaves, Johansson, Dumba and Klingberg. RFA's with Steel, Shaw, Duhaime, Addison and Gustavsson.

Can they shed the Goligoski contract?

Lots of holes and not a lot of cash.

My wish list from above would be--

1. Gus the bus

2. Johannson

3. Nyquist 

Dumba also, but no cash for that. 

There is always next year.....

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2222

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Lots of questions need to be answered.  A ton of UFA's including Nyquist, Sundqvist, Reaves, Johansson, Dumba and Klingberg. RFA's with Steel, Shaw, Duhaime, Addison and Gustavsson.

1. Gus the bus

2. Johannson

3. Nyquist 

as the roster currently stands without any of those FAs, we have 3.5 million in cap space. this roster is going to have to be gutted. The problem is I don't know how many guys are going to have any value. Gus is going to be tough to afford with arbitration but I agree he'd be nice to hand onto for the future. This team is in a bad spot for the next 2 years. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The worst place for any sports team and its fans is being mediocre. Good enough to provide hope and not good enough to advance in the playoffs. I hope that the sites that rank our prospect pool very high are correct, as that will be tested in the next couple of years.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 984

Posted by: @upnorthkid

1. Gus the bus

2. Johannson

3. Nyquist 

as the roster currently stands without any of those FAs, we have 3.5 million in cap space. this roster is going to have to be gutted. The problem is I don't know how many guys are going to have any value. Gus is going to be tough to afford with arbitration but I agree he'd be nice to hand onto for the future. This team is in a bad spot for the next 2 years. 

How do you figure only $3.5M in cap space?  That wouldn't even be enough to fill the roster with guys making league minimum...

These players are listed in order of cap hit, this is NOT line combos.  

Kirill - $9,000,000  Boldy - $7,000,000  Zuccarello - $6,000,000

Ek - $5,250,000  Foligno - $3,100,000  Gaudreau - $2,100,000

Hartman - $1,700,000  Dewar - $800,000

FORWARDS - 8 - $34,950,000

Spurgeon - $7,575,000  Brodin - $6,000,000

Middleton - $2,450,000  Goligoski - $2,000,000

Merrill - $1,200,000  

DEFENSE - 5 - $19,225,000

Fluery - $3,500,000

That's a 14 man Roster @ $57,675,000.  Everyone else is either un-signed, or on a 2-way deal.  Add in $14,743,588 in dead cap space and you are at $72,418,588.

The cap is $83,500,000.  That leaves $11,081,412 in cap space to sign 5-6 Forwards, 2-3 Defense, and another goalie.  Don't get me wrong, that is not enough room to do much of anything.  But they couldn't even fill out a roster if they only had $3.5M in cap space and needed to sign 8 or 9 guys...  League minimum is $750,000/year.

I am going to play Armchair GM here.  I'm sure I am way off, but I don't care right now.

Plug in Faber @ $925,000 (2-way)

Is Rossi ready/capable?  He is at $863,333 (2-way)

I am guessing they are going to have to rely on several rookie deals filling out 3rd and 4th line spots; IE Adam Beckman ($894,167 2-way) and Sammy Walker ($855,000 2-way)

There are 4 spots for $3,537,500.  Leaving $7,543,912 for at least 1 more D, 2 more forwards, and a goalie.  That's an average value of $1,885,978 per player (but that leaves no cap room for in-season maneuvers)

Knowing the next 2 years are going to be difficult, I am signing Gustavsson to a 1 year (2 at longest) "Prove-It" deal while I let Wallstedt overbake for one more year in the AHL.  Give him some spot starts and run Gus and MAF as 1A and 1B early until someone earns it.  Hoping I could get Gus for 1 year at close to $2,500,000?

Is Johansson will to return for 1-2 years near $1,000,000? if not, I am not interested.  No room.  He is coming off a season where he produced at a level he hadn't done since 2016.  I am counting it as an anomaly, and not going to sign high on him.

Can you resign one of Duhaime, Steel, or Shaw for cheap?  $1,000,000 or less.  Keep one of them.

Then you've got to go Minnesota Twins bargain shopping/dumpster diving for the remaining spots.  Can Addison be resigned for cheap?  I like him better than Merrill, but I am likely in the minority there.

None of this improves the team really in any meaningful way.  But it also isn't much worse, and it puts a team on the ice for the next season.

upnorthkid reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@fightclub30 yeah that is with the assumption on them rostering an actual team counting the 2 way guys. Reporting at 3.5mil of space of cap friendly and 5 mil at spotrac. Didn't do any calcs myself

and personally i agree with your commentary on the roster and then i'd shop all your one year remaining guys (Zucc, Foligno, Hartman) as you can at the deadline and get something unless they're willing to renegotiate and drop their cap hit

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden

@fightclub30 yeah that is with the assumption on them rostering an actual team counting the 2 way guys. Reporting at 3.5mil of space of cap friendly and 5 mil at spotrac. Didn't do any calcs myself

AH, yes.  CapFriendly shows $3.5M in cap space.  However, they are showing pretty much ALL the 2-way guys as on the roster.  So they just have all the Iowa call ups on the team too.

So that $3.5M shows us having Wallstedt, Hunt, Faber, Petan, Fogarty, Walker, Rossi, and Beckman all on the team.  That would be a full roster with then $3.5M in cap space.  (No Gus, and nobody else resigned).  It would be 13 Forwards, 7 D, and 2 goalies.  So that would be an option... however, if guys like Petan and Fogarty are on the roster next year, we've got serious issues.

The only way they are shedding Goli's contract is a buyout.  I am sure the owner has no stomach for another buyout, plus it would only further condense the available cap space.  

Brodin has trade value, but he is also your best D.  Spurgeon, I would argue, has little to no trade value at his production and age with that amount of money and term left.  The only Forwards with trade value, you probably don't want to trade (Ek, Boldy, Kaprizov).  I don't think Zucc has much trade value at 35 and $6M.  Foligno, maybe? if we retained some cash.  Hartman does at $1.7M, but then who the hell is going to play center?  Rossi?  

The next 2 seasons are going to be pretty miserable.  It gets slightly better next year (foligno, MAF, hartman, and Goligoski deals are all up), but you still have to replace those players.  And the cap isn't going to go up all that much.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1953
Post on old board: 5631

The Wild don't really have anyone expendable that has any trade value. It would be wise to move Foligno and Brodin before it becomes even more obvious that they're heading in the wrong direction. Probably too late on Foligno and Brodin has a NMC to kill anything before it starts. Hartman and Gaudreau have value but probably not enough to justify moving them. Spurgeon has negative value and a NMC, good luck with that. You might be able to sucker someone into giving you more than Eriksson Ek is worth, but losing him would make a joke of a center group even worse. 

Guerin sealed the fate of the team when he chose the buyouts. Now he just needs to hope that Russo is able to convince the fanbase to continue to give him a free pass for it. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

He's trying to will it?

https://twitter.com/B_Marsh92/status/1652165216023576582?t=F7qcw7Rmx4BX1_6siK9a8A&s=19

Trying to will what?

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @j22

The Wild don't really have anyone expendable that has any trade value. It would be wise to move Foligno and Brodin before it becomes even more obvious that they're heading in the wrong direction. Probably too late on Foligno and Brodin has a NMC to kill anything before it starts. Hartman and Gaudreau have value but probably not enough to justify moving them. Spurgeon has negative value and a NMC, good luck with that. You might be able to sucker someone into giving you more than Eriksson Ek is worth, but losing him would make a joke of a center group even worse. 

Guerin sealed the fate of the team when he chose the buyouts. Now he just needs to hope that Russo is able to convince the fanbase to continue to give him a free pass for it. 

could see someone contending wanting them at the deadline, but yeah they aren’t giving up much for any of them. Agree spurgeons contract is disgusting. Brodin I’m not quite so down on. I would be interested to see him paired with someone else first and see what happens. And any of the guys you can dump at the deadline I mentioned prior just free cap for next year. Guerin needs to bite the bullet and let us suck next year with the promise we’re building up for the start of a run as Kap and Boldy hit their primes in 2 years and then he needs to buy hard at the expiration od the suter, parise debacles. We’ll see if he survives to that point but I think right now he’ll be safe If he scapegoats Evason and sells the rebuild

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 9428

Your narrative is really tiring. Fletcher is the one who signed Parise and Suter to those ridiculously long deals that are now not allowed in the league. We all knew both those deals were gonna be ugly at the end. Parise was obviously far past being a contributor and fighting injury. Suter had poisoned the locker room with his negativity and primadonna attitude. They both had to go and Guerin ripped off the bandaid. He’s made plenty of other deals that warrant valid criticism, the buyouts are not on him. 

upnorthkid, frozen4champs, HandyNotDan and 1 people reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

Your narrative is really tiring. Fletcher is the one who signed Parise and Suter to those ridiculously long deals that are now not allowed in the league. We all knew both those deals were gonna be ugly at the end. Parise was obviously far past being a contributor and fighting injury. Suter had poisoned the locker room with his negativity and primadonna attitude. They both had to go and Guerin ripped off the bandaid. He’s made plenty of other deals that warrant valid criticism, the buyouts are not on him. 

What's really tiring is having this same conversation every two months with people like you that have zero understanding of the situation. You think that just because you read something that Russo wrote, you now understand the salary cap?

How about this angle, why don't you explain to me why Dallas would've turned down a Suter trade at 50% salary? Then maybe you could tell my why Guerin wouldn't have been able to trade Parise to the Islanders at 75% retained?  But, let's be honest, you're going to do the same thing that guys like you and Handy do. You'll disappear from the conversation the second you're asked to provide any actual knowledge or content, and will then reappear in a few months to talk tough again without ever actually saying anything.

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

If the Wild were looking for a coaching change, what are people's thoughts on Andrew Burnett as a possible HC candidate?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@J22 Who really knows if Guerin didn't try to trade Suter or Parise? I know he almost did it with Parise the year before to the Islanders, but that fell through. Also if they traded Parise and he retired right away, the cap hit would have been much worse on the Wild. Plus, both had no movement clauses, so they had zero incentive to agree to any move that would help out the Wild and could just sit back and collect their cash if released and then pick where they wanted to go. We can beat this dead horse to death, but the Wild failed to take advantage of the Suter/Parise signings all of those years and it was time to cut bait even as difficult as the end results are. It is something we will never agree on, and that is ok.

As far as Russo goes. Russo rips this team/management all the time. Listen to his multiple podcasts/radio interviews and you will hear it. If you listen to the Russo and LaPanta podcast, it's LaPanta that is always defending the Wild and Russo is the one who calls them out and has to be talked off the ledge with this team.  I think for the most part is that he calls it like he sees it. Does he have favorites? Sure, just like the rest of us do. Could he go further in ripping this team? Yes, but he has to walk a line so he doesn't burn his bridges and lose access to the team. 

Listen to Russo on Sunday Sermons this morning on KFAN and you will hear his disappointment and criticism of this team. They also discuss the Suter/Parise situation. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

@J22 Who really knows if Guerin didn't try to trade Suter or Parise? I know he almost did it with Parise the year before to the Islanders, but that fell through. Also if they traded Parise and he retired right away, the cap hit would have been much worse on the Wild. Plus, both had no movement clauses, so they had zero incentive to agree to any move that would help out the Wild and could just sit back and collect their cash if released and then pick where they wanted to go. We can beat this dead horse to death, but the Wild failed to take advantage of the Suter/Parise signings all of those years and it was time to cut bait even as difficult as the end results are. It is something we will never agree on, and that is ok.

As far as Russo goes. Russo rips this team/management all the time. Listen to his multiple podcasts/radio interviews and you will hear it. If you listen to the Russo and LaPanta podcast, it's LaPanta that is always defending the Wild and Russo is the one who calls them out and has to be talked off the ledge with this team.  I think for the most part is that he calls it like he sees it. Does he have favorites? Sure, just like the rest of us do. Could he go further in ripping this team? Yes, but he has to walk a line so he doesn't burn his bridges and lose access to the team. 

Listen to Russo on Sunday Sermons this morning on KFAN and you will hear his disappointment and criticism of this team. They also discuss the Suter/Parise situation. 

We know that Guerin didn't even try to trade Suter because both Guerin and Suter said as much. The cap recapture talk is just the nonsense that Russo uses to convince fans that Guerin "didn't have a choice"

Russo rips the players and coaches that don't give him content. Haven't seen anything about Guerin's multiple mistakes this year. Haven't seen anything about Spurgeon being the worst player in the series, or the fact that he clearly has zero leadership ability. 

Edit- Of course Russo would print this this morning just in time to make me look like an idiot-

Their best defensemen, Jared Spurgeon and Jonas Brodin, were arguably their worst, and this is becoming a trend for Spurgeon in the playoffs.

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

Guerin thought he had Parise traded to NYI at the deadline, then Lou made a different deal instead. 

I get the worry with him retiring prematurely with his back a couple years ago. Though he had a bounce back this year with 20 goals. 

I semi agree with J22 on trading them vs buyout. We saw Vegas unload Paciorrety for nothing. Feel like we might’ve been able to do a salary retention future considerations trade if either or both weren’t willing to accept lesser roles. Retention wouldn’t last as long as this. 

optics aren’t great doing that, but a buyout isn’t great either. I dunno. 

Nobody was going to take the full salary on them. And you’re rolling the dice on cap recapture. But in hindsight I roll those dice and see what happens. I would think the NHL would have stepped in on the scenario where we’d have like 25 million of dead cap. You can’t even field a team at that point. 

It’s a moot point now. For us to have any hope next year, we need to be healthier and Rossi needs to be an impact player. So we’re gonna need some luck. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

We know that Guerin didn't even try to trade Suter because both Guerin and Suter said as much. The cap recapture talk is just the nonsense that Russo uses to convince fans that Guerin "didn't have a choice"

Russo rips the players and coaches that don't give him content. Haven't seen anything about Guerin's multiple mistakes this year. Haven't seen anything about Spurgeon being the worst player in the series, or the fact that he clearly has zero leadership ability. 

Edit- Of course Russo would print this this morning just in time to make me look like an idiot-

Their best defensemen, Jared Spurgeon and Jonas Brodin, were arguably their worst, and this is becoming a trend for Spurgeon in the playoffs.

proof Russo reads GPL lol

Golden FE Ranger and J22 reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

6 straight series 1 and done in the playoffs

Aloha!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10548
Post on old board: 21741

Yikes - JEE with a broken leg and Dumba concussed in game 6  

https://twitter.com/joesmithnhl/status/1653070626293178374?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1653096532793516041?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 162

@gopher6 Get use to it, won't change without anything resembling a top 6 Center. 

Might not have to worry about it next year, goaltending can be very cyclical. Will be tough for the Wild to get out of Gus what they did this year at the same level.

Boldy should be name the Captain of this team. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4385

Posted by: @team2tank

Boldy should be name the Captain of this team. 

The guy that totally no-showed the playoffs should be captain? 

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 162

@mikeeruzione11 By that standard, who exactly showed for the playoffs? Also, by that standard, Spurgeon should be stripped immediately.

You are really not seeing the pattern each year how easy it is to shut down a Winger in the playoffs when they play with a replacement level top 6 Center?

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Would have been nice if Boldy could have finished a few of his numerous chances, but I wouldn't call him a no show for that series.  Especially when you consider he was playing with an AHL level center.

It's not like the current captain wasn't the worst player on the ice for either team. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4385

Definitely not defending Spurgeon. Just found it odd to appoint the guy who had no goals in 6 games and went minus 5 for the series.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Definitely not defending Spurgeon. Just found it odd to appoint the guy who had no goals in 6 games and went minus 5 for the series.

I don't really see Boldy as the guy to be Captain of the team. Not sure they have anyone that would be a great choice though 

Golden FE Ranger
(@golden-fe-ranger)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 454

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I don't really see Boldy as the guy to be Captain of the team. Not sure they have anyone that would be a great choice though 

Faber. Start the rebuild. Obviously that is a joke but it might not be far from the right answer by the time this team is ready to complete in the playoffs. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Just resigned Johansson.2 years for 4mil. Pretty decent deal for both sides I’d say

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 140

Yeah the JoJo deal seems fine. 

i also just don’t see anything drastically changing without a top 6 center. Always been a big, gaping hole that comes to bite us 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

Any expectations for Rossi next season or is he trending toward the bust bin?

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Any expectations for Rossi next season or is he trending toward the bust bin?

Tiny, weak, and he can't skate. He's a smart player with good hands and vision, so there's a hope that he could be a Granlund type player. Personally, I don't see an NHL player.

F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 92

The local media sure seems to love Judd Brackett. I get that this upcoming draft will only be his 4th with the Wild but so far all of his picks have resulted in 1 NHL point. 

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden

Plugging in Johansson and I am going to assume Faber is a lock.  That's about $500,000 more per season than I would've offered Johansson, but at least it isn't long term.  He plugs a hole while they navigate the salary cap mess that has been created.  

Kirill - $9,000,000  Boldy - $7,000,000  Zuccarello - $6,000,000

Ek - $5,250,000  Foligno - $3,100,000  Gaudreau - $2,100,000

Johansson - $2,000,000  Hartman - $1,700,000  Dewar - $800,000

FORWARDS - 9 - $36,950,000

Spurgeon - $7,575,000  Brodin - $6,000,000

Middleton - $2,450,000  Goligoski - $2,000,000

Merrill - $1,200,000  Faber - $925,000  

DEFENSE - 6 - $20,150,000

Fluery - $3,500,000

DEAD CAP HIT - $14,743,588

That's a 16 man Roster @ $75,343,588.

The cap is $83,500,000.  That leaves $8,156,412 in cap space to sign 4-5 Forwards, 1-2 Defensemen, and another goalie.

Let's assume they go with 6 more players.  A 4th line, another goalie, and 1 extra forward and 1 extra defense. 

That is an average Cap Hit of $1,359,402 per player.  League Minimum is $750,000/year.

Gus is likely to be more than that, which will further reduce the average for remaining players.  

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

It's going to be a tough few years in St. Paul.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@fightclub30 other option is a guy like Zuccy or Foligno restructure their deal at a more team friendly price. Don’t see it happening and don’t think it’s the right move (losing this year and shopping those guys at the deadline while building for 2 years from now would be my call). This roster is a ways off of contender status

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

@fightclub30 other option is a guy like Zuccy or Foligno restructure their deal at a more team friendly price. Don’t see it happening and don’t think it’s the right move (losing this year and shopping those guys at the deadline while building for 2 years from now would be my call). This roster is a ways off of contender status

Not allowed to restructure contracts in the NHL. There's not much reason for Foligno to be on the team next year. Try to sucker someone into overpaying for "toughness"

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

Clearly some players need to be dealt (just to save cap ?). Foligno at 3.1 mil & Goli at 2 mil top the list. I doubt they can trade Fluery at 3.5, but I’d rather re-sign Gus & move Fluery if that’s the alternative.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

I think there's a good chance that next years roster is already set for the most part.

F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 92

@jwg Hopefully Kaprizov doesn’t demand a trade at some point in the future.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@j22 ah interesting. Didn’t know that. Yeah then we’re going to be pretty locked in unless someone can be traded

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level

I don't think there will be any drastic changes to the roster. Fleury won't be traded, he has a no move and doesn't want to play anywhere else. He'll be here next year then hang them up. All the highly paid players have at least a modified no trade which would make it harder to accomplish.

Gus will get done. If they can't agree on a 3ish year term number, they'll take him to arbitration and he'll get a 1 year deal. No reason to give into crazy demands there. He needs to prove he can carry a load before he gets big money. When he's an everyday starter, he loses the details in his game and becomes very average. The rotation did him real well during the year. Without proving it as the main guy, he's not getting a long expensive deal. Plus we have Wallstedt in the wings, so Billy should play hardball with him.

Only trades I can see happening are with guys like Goose, Merril, Addison. No big top of the lineup help is coming, unless Rossi emerges as a legit option with Boldy and JoJo. No reason they can't be a playoff team again, probably around a WC spot. Anything more than that will depend on health and what versions of guys show up.

The 1 good thing on the horizon is that escrow should be paid off next season. So while we'll still have the big dead cap in 24/25, the cap should at least increase more than 1 mil opening up some money to get more help. Plus Zuccy's 6M will be up. He may be playing his way out of an extension. Or at the very least lowering the number for him.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I know Fleury said he doesn't want to move again, but I'd bet he'd accept a trade to Pittsburgh if we figured something out.

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level

I don't see our motivation to do that. Still have to replace him. Not like we get a free 3+ mil off the books, and would Pittsburgh even take him at that salary. Even if he's more of a traditional backup next year, still seems to be good in the room and good to Gus. Just ride it out 1 more year and have Jesper here in 24.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Dumping Fleury, Foligno, and Goligoski would likely allow you to bring Dumba back. Or grab an equivalent level forward. 

Can't see why Pittsburgh would have any interest in Fleury though 

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level

Maybe, but you still have to replace all those players in the lineup. So as far as spots against the cap, you'd dump Goli and add Dumba, who will make more than 2 million. That eats into what you'd have left to replace Foligno and Fleury. We'd essentially have to replace Foligno and Fleury with league minimum guys/rookie contracts in that scenario.

And like you said, why would Pittsburgh want Fleury. And why would Fleury agree to go anywhere else than there. Moving Fleury really isn't a viable option to consider.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

Dumping Fleury, Foligno, and Goligoski would likely allow you to bring Dumba back. Or grab an equivalent level forward. 

Can't see why Pittsburgh would have any interest in Fleury though 

Inserting Faber in Dumba spot on 2nd pairing saves $5 mil for a cap strapped team. I agree with U on Spurgeon, that’s BG’s worst LT contract & he consistently gets pushed around in the playoffs. I realize BG likes Dumba energy & leadership, but the $ don’t work & he will sign elsewhere. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

I will never get why anyone likes Dumba.  Just a vastly overrated player.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherhockeyfan7

Maybe, but you still have to replace all those players in the lineup. So as far as spots against the cap, you'd dump Goli and add Dumba, who will make more than 2 million. That eats into what you'd have left to replace Foligno and Fleury. We'd essentially have to replace Foligno and Fleury with league minimum guys/rookie contracts in that scenario.

And like you said, why would Pittsburgh want Fleury. And why would Fleury agree to go anywhere else than there. Moving Fleury really isn't a viable option to consider.

I agree, I was just pointing out the reason why it would make sense to try and move those guys.  Fleury and Goligoski is $5.5M in cap that is sitting on your bench or in the press box. Can't have that when you're  starting  already $15M in the hole. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I will never get why anyone likes Dumba.  Just a vastly overrated player.

Dumba was their best defenseman in the playoffs. Again 

Eric Vegoe reacted
shockey98
(@shockey98)
Rep Pts: 2

So pumped we got Johansson at a reasonable dollar figure now!  He'll continue to be perfect in that role.

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @gopherhockeyfan7

I agree, I was just pointing out the reason why it would make sense to try and move those guys.  Fleury and Goligoski is $5.5M in cap that is sitting on your bench or in the press box. Can't have that when you're  starting  already $15M in the hole. 

For sure. Part of me wonders if Goose actually gets in the lineup next year. Some combo of Merril, Goose, and Addison are moving on I think. If we trade Addison, does that open the door for Goose to be in the lineup again? He had a good string of games in the second half.

These are really the only kinds of moves I see the team making this summer. Nothing huge, just trimming around the edges. I don't think that means we can't compete in the Central through. Probably not for a division title, but I think we'll be around that 3 or WC slot again.

Long term/higher ceiling success depends on the guys we drafted. Rossi, Khusnidinov, Ohgren, Yurov etc. Plus getting Kirill/Boldy going in the playoffs together for once.

In the interim, I still think we're competitive through the dead cap, but not a top tier team.

Page 1 / 2