99 Posts
29 Users
12 Likes
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1238
Post on old board: 5547

The Wild will be going nowhere for along time no money to work with ?

Aloha!

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4615
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @j22

Posted by: @handyman

I will never get why anyone likes Dumba.  Just a vastly overrated player.

Dumba was their best defenseman in the playoffs. Again 

And?  He has had one good season in his entire career and his playoff numbers are average.  He is not worth the praise or the money he gets.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1973
Post on old board: 5631

And?  He has had one good season in his entire career and his playoff numbers are average.  He is not worth the praise or the money he gets.

He was the teams best defenseman this year. You can downplay that to whatever level you like, it still doesn't change the fact that the team gets worse if he's not on it. 

Not really sure where you're getting the "overrated" from either? Most of the fans in this town shit all over Dumba. Most consider even Spurgeon to be the better player

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2614
Post on old board: 15478

He was the teams best defenseman this year. You can downplay that to whatever level you like, it still doesn't change the fact that the team gets worse if he's not on it. 

Not really sure where you're getting the "overrated" from either? Most of the fans in this town shit all over Dumba. Most consider even Spurgeon to be the better player

That the team was better with Dumba playing suggests only that he was better than any of his replacements. It does not necessarily prove his value to the team. I would agree, however, that he cut down on the costly mistakes this season.

This team is a mess right now. Spurgeon isn't worth anything close to his salary, and they could start by ripping that C off his sweater. Maybe that would erase that silly fey look from his face.

That said, I think that Brodin and Spugeon both had a better playoff than their usual turtle job. It's just that none of it matters. The team has no depth, despite the enviable pipeline we hear about, and the big dolla players forgot to suit up.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1303

I had to check out Evolving Hockey contract projections to get a feel for what is even possible for the Wild this offseason. Seems like they're in a big holding pattern until Gustavsson's agent figures out how long to play chicken with Guerin.

Projections for him are $3.5M for a one-year deal or $3.8M AAV for a two-year deal and $4.5 AAV for a three-year deal (extra money because it buys out a year of UFA).

The projected numbers for these guys takes them out of the budget... Dumba $6.25M, Klingberg $5.6M, Nyquist $4.1M and Sundqvist $3M.

Johansson signed a team friendly $2M AAV deal and was projected at $3.8M AAV.

Players to consider: Addison RFA $1.4M AAV, Steel $1.4M AAV, Duhaime $1.4M AAV, Shaw $1.1M AAV (LTIR?), Reaves $900k AAV, Mermis, Grioux, Cramarossa and Swaney all $775k.

Even modest deals for Addison, Duhaime and Gustavsson makes putting together a cap compliant roster challenging.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4315847

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1238
Post on old board: 5547

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12640
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Wild select local kid and BADger Stramel with the 21st pick. He and Faber can someday discuss the "head butt" incident from this past year.

https://twitter.com/DylanLoucks4/status/1674231910422175746

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3955
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Wild select local kid and BADger Stramel with the 21st pick. He and Faber can someday discuss the "head butt" incident from this past year.

https://twitter.com/DylanLoucks4/status/1674231910422175746

THAT was underwhelming.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10597
Post on old board: 21741

One can hope the garbage ingrained when playing for team dysfunctional can be unlearned.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Stramel was one of 4 or 5 guys that I wanted the Wild to get with that pick. Just have to hope last season can be chalked up to Granato and Wisconsin being complete trash.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2245

Stramel was one of 4 or 5 guys that I wanted the Wild to get with that pick. Just have to hope last season can be chalked up to Granato and Wisconsin being complete trash.

problem is what are you drafting him for? You have multiple middle centers and nothing high end and Stramel has never shown he can be a high end center

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 414

You'd think they could have traded back and still been able to draft Strammel

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

problem is what are you drafting him for? You have multiple middle centers and nothing high end and Stramel has never shown he can be a high end center

Stramel was considered more "high end" than Will Smith was a year ago. And no, the Wild don't have multiple middle centers. They have Wingers centering 2 of their top 3 lines with Khusnutdinov as the only likely NHL center on the way up.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 580

Guerin compliments the local watering hole for keeping them hydrated this week. I want to say he said something like that last year too but maybe not. I didn’t really think it was as funny as he thought he was.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 842
Post on old board: 5335

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Kiss of death right here.

https://twitter.com/ben_clymer/status/1674237546866327554?t=y1jruZ7ZcGAIyuIWKK4Rxw&s=19

Yes, after extolling the play-making ability of 4th-liner Jack Ramsey and his linemates for four years, Clymer has zero credibility. I get that he gets paid to be a homer, but he's a color guy and is supposed to have an eye for the game.

I'm sure Clymer is right a whole bunch, but when he sprinkles in b.s. like this, it tends to undermine his opinions.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3992
Post on old board: 9428

“Right a whole bunch”….doh’kay 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5671
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Wild select local kid and BADger Stramel with the 21st pick.

Regardless on how he pans out, some diehard Gopher fans will never be a fan. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 616
Post on old board: 14946

A pretty "meh" selection IMO. Certainly hope for the best when he eventually signs but...

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

They are in desperate need of something more than a "meh." ? 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7464

Jimmy Clark is a nice pickup in the 7th. And yes I am biased!!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Lucius was able to squeeze out 34 points.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @bertogliat

Lucius parents paid off the stats guys to pad his stats with phantom assists... ? 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

In the Badgers last 16 games (Dec 10th- End of season) Stramel scored only 1 goal and 4 assists.  Three of those assists all came in one weekend vs Mich St.   So 1G and 1A in those other 14 games.  That is REALLY bad.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

In the Badgers last 16 games (Dec 10th- End of season) Stramel scored only 1 goal and 4 assists.  Three of those assists all came in one weekend vs Mich St.   So 1G and 1A in those other 14 games.  That is REALLY bad.

I agree. I was being sarcastic with my comment.  Time will tell if it turns out to be the right choice. I know lots of people were freaking out when the Wild took Boldy over the little guy from the BADgers. It took longer, but I think Boldy was the right choice. Maybe Stramel will improve under Hastings but I hope the Gophers continue to pound the snot out of him the next few years. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Yeah, the kid had a bad year. That's why he was available at 21 instead of going in the top 5 like he was projected to go at this time last year. The hope is that the ugly year wasn't entirely because he's bad at hockey and the kid can get back to being one of the best players in his age group. 

bearpaw28 reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7464

It’s not even the fact he wasn’t scoring for me, the guy was INVISIBLE most of the times I watched him. At least when Knies went on his scoring drought in the playoffs he impacted the game in so many other positive ways. Stramel seemed like such a nonfactor whenever I watched him. At least use your size a little bit. I hope he turns it around for the Wild but I’ll agree with others on here that he can kick rocks when he plays the Gophers!

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1757

Did Stramel accelerate and play college a year earlier than his age? 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1218
Post on old board: 6912

Yeah, the kid had a bad year. That's why he was available at 21 instead of going in the top 5 like he was projected to go at this time last year. The hope is that the ugly year wasn't entirely because he's bad at hockey and the kid can get back to being one of the best players in his age group. 

While the pick surprised me…the kid possesses one thing the Wild desperately need…SIZE. Hopefully he develops into a Charlie Coyle sized player who (unlike Charlie) plays with snarl & sandpaper. And chips in a few goals, wins faceoffs and is solid defensively. He strikes me as a future 3rd liner, hopefully he demonstrates more upside than that…time will tell. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

This will make Louie happy.

https://twitter.com/mnwildPR/status/1675232808648814592

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Russo's story on Vinni.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1675233993078210562

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7067
Post on old board: 18942

He'll be the best dressed in the locker room at least. Need to get him on a podcast with Ramsey   

Jupiter ♃ reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/1675672444252696576

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@j22 I guess it depends how you view our center group. We don't have a 1C on this roster (my personal opinion and know others will disagree with this) and have Ek and Gaudreau, so that's what I mean as middle centers. Gaudreau is on the older side so if you're tracking him in as your 3C (hopefully), then yeah I can get the pick. Just felt like there were others with more scoring pop that play down the middle still available when he was taken. Hopefully it works out and he can get to his prior projections. With where we consistently finish, can't afford to be missing on picks as your opportunities are lesser (part of what makes the continual first round exits even more disheartening)

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

@j22 I guess it depends how you view our center group. We don't have a 1C on this roster (my personal opinion and know others will disagree with this) and have Ek and Gaudreau, so that's what I mean as middle centers. Gaudreau is on the older side so if you're tracking him in as your 3C (hopefully), then yeah I can get the pick. Just felt like there were others with more scoring pop that play down the middle still available when he was taken. Hopefully it works out and he can get to his prior projections. With where we consistently finish, can't afford to be missing on picks as your opportunities are lesser (part of what makes the continual first round exits even more disheartening)

I view the Wild center group as among the worst in the NHL

There were a few other centers available when the Wild picked that I liked just as much as Stramel, but those players had just as many question marks in their game. I think you could do a lot worse than getting a guy who is likely to be a quality #3, but still has a decent chance to be much more. You also need to take into account the fact that the only 2 other NHL caliber center prospects that the Wild had at the time were tiny. Size never slumps.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@j22 I dunno about size never slumps. We've long fallen in love with size guys who can't score frequently enough to be difference makers. I'm not as in love with the size argument in today's nhl that is going further and further away from allowing the grappling and grinding of the past and shown more willingness to call things in the postseason, but I can understand if there's a GM that wants to have that option available (lean more towards plentiful high skilled guys, you can always buy/trade for size/grind guys as there will be journeymen who fit the role of 3/4C but very few opportunities to get a 1/2C without paying a kings ransom). That said, hopefully he bounces back and last year was an aberration.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

@j22 I dunno about size never slumps. We've long fallen in love with size guys who can't score frequently enough to be difference makers. I'm not as in love with the size argument in today's nhl that is going further and further away from allowing the grappling and grinding of the past and shown more willingness to call things in the postseason, but I can understand if there's a GM that wants to have that option available (lean more towards plentiful high skilled guys, you can always buy/trade for size/grind guys as there will be journeymen who fit the role of 3/4C but very few opportunities to get a 1/2C without paying a kings ransom). That said, hopefully he bounces back and last year was an aberration.

Vegas and Florida just bullied their way to the finals.

I agree that there are times when a GM gets too infatuated with size, but the opposite can also be true. You can't have a bunch of 5'9" players on a roster and expect to compete in the NHL.  Hoping that a 6'3" kid who can skate,  will be able to develop his offensive game is probably a better bet than hoping a highly skilled 5'9" player that can't skate, will be able to play at the NHL level. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@j22 yeah for sure. Wasn’t meaning I’d argue to take a 5 9 guy who can’t skate, those guys don’t even make college much less the nhl. You have to have the ability to skate if you’re going to be higher end skill and make it. Was more referring to a more pure scorer/shooter or playmaker than a grind scorer. Again that’s just my personal preference as I feel they’re substantially harder to find but when you do can push your team up another level. I 100% agree with for every marchesseault or even karlsson (more size/motor with flash of skill I’m referring to you need a couple guys like Stone, Barbashev, etc to try hold the play. Think it’s just differing styles of how you get to a balanced construction which I get where you’re coming from in your reasoning

also I will say, Vegas drafted none of those guys so a little different game in assembling a bruising team (coupled with Stone coming back at just the right time to allow the cap game and them to be way over the cap). The Panthers also totally blew up that roster to get there and helps when you can select your heavy guys that are also incredibly skilled. Hopefully Stramel is that but disappearing has me worried: ain’t like there aren’t some teams Wisconsin plays he should’ve been able to assert himself more, but maybe he’ll pop this year and be a guy who can step in as the cap hits open up and help us Make a move in the postseason

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The Wild need a bit more muscle/sandpaper on the blue line. I don't mean pure bruisers, but they're too easy to push around in the playoffs and a lot of that falls on the defensive guys.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Can't wait for some of the responses to this...

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1683868777077768192

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10597
Post on old board: 21741

Amy Poehler Popcorn GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 993

Wild and Gustavsson agree to 3-year $11.25M deal per Joe Smith.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1686074244848041984?t=aivOWv7FSbji_BdQ0qWAjA&s=19

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

They're fine but I prefer the white version. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Reusse/status/1698533203819020394

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@eric-vegoe Sammy Walker scores a PPG in todays preseason game... ? 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Vinny also scored. Go Gophers!!

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden

So Mr. Guerin signed Foligno and Zuccarello to extensions...  

Zuccarello 2 years at $4.125M per (a discount from his current $6M cap hit)

Foligno for 4 years (?!?!) at $4.00M per (an increase form his current $3.1M cap hit)

I just don't understand this.  Maybe he can sign Marcus Johannson to a 4 year extension as well?  Or how about Pat Maroon?

I was looking forward to in 2 years have some significant money come off the books, and being able to do a big reset.  Instead Guerin seems to want to tie up a bunch of aging vets on the wrong side of the curve.  The Zuccarello one bothers me less, but the Foligno one is just a head scratcher to me.

F Da Sue reacted

Page 2 / 2