21.8 K Views
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

The 22-23 thread was locked so just starting a discussion spot for the next season of Gopher football.

Getting good traction on in state recruits, which is nice to see.  Hopefully they hold until signing day.

Was disappointed the spring game wasn’t available for fans yet again.  It’s a way to generate some interest, get people out to engage a little with no cost to hopefully build some hype, etc.  These are a big deal at other schools, it’d be nice to take advantage here.  I get the feeling Fleck isn’t a big fan given there is no effort put into alternative options nor was the weather that bad on Saturday.

Greyeagle reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4565
Post on old board: 28736

Honestly they aren't as big of a deal as they used to be.  Social media is a much better tool for hyping up the season not a glorified practice in April where no one is taking it seriously.  Last one I went to no one cared except people older than me.  Kids were bored and 20 somethings werent even there.

I mean look at the crowds at some of these games (especially in the North) it is sparce and a lot of the teams stop putting anything into it.  The value just isn't there anymore.  No one is going to buy season tickets based on whether Team B beats Team A in a game of two hand touch. 

I think the idea is completely outdated and plenty of schools are catching onto it.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1152

Posted by: @handyman

Honestly they aren't as big of a deal as they used to be.  Social media is a much better tool for hyping up the season not a glorified practice in April where no one is taking it seriously.  Last one I went to no one cared except people older than me.  Kids were bored and 20 somethings werent even there.

I mean look at the crowds at some of these games (especially in the North) it is sparce and a lot of the teams stop putting anything into it.  The value just isn't there anymore.  No one is going to buy season tickets based on whether Team B beats Team A in a game of two hand touch. 

I think the idea is completely outdated and plenty of schools are catching onto it.

The last spring game we went to was when our kids were younger and we timed it so we just got there for the autographs after.  But that part was always fun for the kids to meet the players.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3315
Post on old board: 30840

IDK if I'd ever go see them in person unless it was to just enjoy nice weather while drinking overpriced beer. But from the comfort of my couch its kinda fun to watch.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

The last spring game we went to was when our kids were younger and we timed it so we just got there for the autographs after.  But that part was always fun for the kids to meet the players.

They should definetly do stuff where kids can meet the team.  That kind of stuff is important.  Some sort of event like Skate With the Gophers only bigger.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

IDK if I'd ever go see them in person unless it was to just enjoy nice weather while drinking overpriced beer. But from the comfort of my couch its kinda fun to watch.

This sounds about right.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Interesting since we just had a linebacker transfer out and end up at Western Michigan due to what was thought to be playing time issues.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

I get we live in the world of the portal but blatant recruitment of committed players should be more monitored. Better rules are needed around NIL and the portal.

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1652394185025110016?s=46&t=l9UyLQRbjMIIpJKijQ7z2Q

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6935
Post on old board: 18942

https://twitter.com/GophersKaneRob/status/1654999327306121218?s=20

Looks like he only played in 2 games last season for Auburn so who knows...

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

He played a bunch at Iowa State...he likely has to sit out but either way appears to be depth.

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 428
Post on old board: 9527

Posted by: @slap-shot

I believe he was injured last year, but played in like 8 games at ISU. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

He missed the last 10 games (plus their bowl game) with injury IIRC.

He has to obtain a waiver from the NCAA to be able to play this upcoming season but it is a nice add for depth for next season at worst.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37568592/gaming-commission-investigating-iowa-possible-ncaa-violation

Looks like Iowa and Iowa State got some 'splaining to do!

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

If I've learned anything over the past 10 years it's that the NCAA ultimately no longer really cares about violations if the program has any notoriety at all.  I don't expect much to come of this Iowa stuff.  Especially since no coaches are implicated.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Iowa is not an SEC school or ACC basketball school so they won't get that kind of treatment.  Plus gambling is a different beast even the pro leagues don't stomach that. 

Meanwhile I'm sure Draft Kings will sponser the team...

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10472
Post on old board: 21741

Meanwhile I'm sure Draft Kings will sponsor the team...

sheldon love GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Gambling doesn't get glossed over. If there is evidence, I am nearly certain there will be ramifications.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Maybe... we'll see.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Why?  Not Chris, take the NIL deal, but why White Sox??  Like the visibility for our program in that market. 

https://twitter.com/chrisautmanbell/status/1656329865337905153?s=46&t=l9UyLQRbjMIIpJKijQ7z2Q

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @jwg

Why?  Not Chris, take the NIL deal, but why White Sox??  Like the visibility for our program in that market. 

https://twitter.com/chrisautmanbell/status/1656329865337905153?s=46&t=l9UyLQRbjMIIpJKijQ7z2Q

Chicago native, so he probably grew up rooting for them as a kid.  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12496
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/598982301108686849

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Unka Dimmy reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

We're going to the Rose Bowl in 2024!!

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1666902547238379551?s=20

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HandyNotDan reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Our schedule is fine.  The B1G decision making on football is dumb.  The rivalry makes no sense.  Iowa has 3 protected annual rivalries and PSU has none.  So PSU gets a rotating schedule each season while Iowa only gets 6 of 9 teams rotating.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Our schedule is fine.  The B1G decision making on football is dumb.  The rivalry makes no sense.  Iowa has 3 protected annual rivalries and PSU has none.  So PSU gets a rotating schedule each season while Iowa only gets 6 of 9 teams rotating.

That is because Penn State literally has no rivals in the conference.  You could maybe argue Ohio State but Ohio State probably doesn't think so.

The Big Ten schedule is a mess because half the teams don't belong in it.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

That is because Penn State literally has no rivals in the conference.  You could maybe argue Ohio State but Ohio State probably doesn't think so.

The Big Ten schedule is a mess because half the teams don't belong in it.

I guess that's what happens when you play as an independent team.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Stupid question but I didn't look it up - how are the two conference title teams determined?  1 and 2 by overall conference record with tie-breakers?

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Stupid question but I didn't look it up - how are the two conference title teams determined?  1 and 2 by overall conference record with tie-breakers?

I believe so yes.  

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5592
Post on old board: 16243

IMG 5982

Keep your stick on the ice...

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1995

Posted by: @gator

IMG 5982

UCLA and Rutgers are great natural rivals.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Those arent rivalries that is just the two plays.  They shift every two years.

gator reacted
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1067
Post on old board: 29516

When you add teams at the edges of your territory for monetary reasons instead of historical rivalries...

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Rutgers is the only B1G addition I have questioned.  I understand the rational of getting into the NYC market....they are just, well, boring.

They haven't taken trains to games in several decades so I don't see the coast-to-coast portion as a big deal and the LA schools bring huge name recognition in multiple sports.   

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't work for a school so I could give a crap about the money or prestige.  I care about the fact that we can't play all the Big Ten teams because somehow we have to pretend Maryland, NY and LA fit somehow. 

Unka Dimmy reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Every conference game is vs. a Big Ten team. ? 

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1067
Post on old board: 29516

Posted by: @greyeagle

Rutgers is the only B1G addition I have questioned.  I understand the rational of getting into the NYC market....they are just, well, boring.

They haven't taken trains to games in several decades so I don't see the coast-to-coast portion as a big deal and the LA schools bring huge name recognition in multiple sports.   

I just thought it was hilarious that the new teams get to play the teams on the other side of the country.  Television is going to be interesting.  Even if they're flying, it's a three-hour time change and a five-hour (or more) flight.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Sure thing Mr. Pedantic.

Quick question...how many times has Indiana played here since we moved back on campus? (1)  Meanwhile Maryland has been here 3 times and they haven't even been in the conference a decade.  Hell even Rutgers has been here more. (2)

This bastardized version of the Big Ten is awful.  College football conferences are not meant to be this big and no matter how much they try the square peg wont fit in the round hole.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1706

Posted by: @greyeagle

I had no idea Rutgers was in Jersey until I watched the Sopranos. It doesn’t have big name Basketball/Football/Academics.. it’s just adjacent to the biggest media market in the US. 

I like the additions of UCLA and USC. I want the conference to remain at the top of the power 5, because that should mean more success for the U, and beyond that they have fantastic Football/Basketball histories.  Change is varsity athletics inevitable why not lead the way. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Sure thing Mr. Pedantic.

Quick question...how many times has Indiana played here since we moved back on campus? (1)  Meanwhile Maryland has been here 3 times and they haven't even been in the conference a decade.  Hell even Rutgers has been here more. (2)

This bastardized version of the Big Ten is awful.  College football conferences are not meant to be this big and no matter how much they try the square peg wont fit in the round hole.

Good Lord it was a joke.

stripes lighten GIF

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I was in a nostalgic mood and found this video which had several angles I had not seen before.  Ski-U-Mah!!

Oh and for good measure suck it Wisconsin!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I was in a nostalgic mood and found this video which had several angles I had not seen before.  Ski-U-Mah!!

Oh and for good measure suck it Wisconsin!

I was at that Penn State game, front row behind the Gopher bench. I've never seen campus buzzing the way it was that morning. It was freaking awesome. The whole atmosphere on campus and in the stadium is something I won't soon forget.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4599
Post on old board: 10695

I was at that Penn State game, front row behind the Gopher bench. I've never seen campus buzzing the way it was that morning. It was freaking awesome. The whole atmosphere on campus and in the stadium is something I won't soon forget.

That was the only Gopher football game I've been to.  (Not counting the mid-80s spring game my dad took me to at the Metrodump).  Absolutely incredible atmosphere.

Saw myself in that video, too (no way anyone would recognize me at the distance, but I knew exactly where my seat was and the 2003 maroon hockey jersey made it easy)

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12496
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1670255940635967489

https://twitter.com/mauricio_hinds/status/1670261711264182272

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5592
Post on old board: 16243

IMG 6651

Keep your stick on the ice...

JB
 JB
(@jb)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 33

It seems like all of the journalists are jumping on the hazing/culture investigations and publishing anything remotely scandalous. The article on the culture from Front Office Sports does not quote any sources, instead referring to them as anonymous sources still involved with the program.

What I found interesting was the general response that a number of current and former players had to the article.

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/1684357025508073475

https://twitter.com/T_Nubin27/status/1684284250793672705

Unka Dimmy reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

A writer I've never heard of writing for a website I've never heard of quoting anonymous sources from the shadows. Seems legit.

Meanwhile dozens upon dozens of players/former players/coaches that have been around the program are coming out publicly calling the article trash and signing their name to it.

Greyeagle reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

A writer I've never heard of writing for a website I've never heard of quoting anonymous sources from the shadows. Seems legit.

Meanwhile dozens upon dozens of players/former players/coaches that have been around the program are coming out publicly calling the article trash and signing their name to it.

There are pieces I read and think yep I can see that (The PP Haskins-Ganglehoff story jumps out) and there are others that don't pass the smell test.  Could be wrong but to me this piece reeks of Gonzo journalism.  

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

I read it yesterday and didn’t want to link it here. Didn’t want to give them clicks. It’s a junk article. Not worth anyone’s time. If any defense is needed, it’s that every college football program is run like a cult and the leader is the head coach. Sometimes a person’s personality does not fit into that culture and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

trixR4kids reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I skimmed the article but their complaint seemed to be that they were on a football team lol.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

It's a recycled story...it comes up every so often and the sources are usually believed to be a former adjunct prof who hates Fleck and Val Martin.

It's a crock and the U has looked into it in the past.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolB1G/status/1684541715196133381?t=hMG-6Ob9Fjgqv9ADYSgKRQ&s=19

Page 1 / 20