32 K Views
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1953
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @the-rube

Hoo boy....discontent in the locker room is not a good thing. I won't say mutiny, but.....

Huh?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7679
Post on old board: 35040

Sonny is basically questioning the coaching/strategy. In the open, not in the locker room. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I don't think there's anything wrong with a starting pitcher saying that they hope to pitch deeper into games this season

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Sonny is basically questioning the coaching/strategy. In the open, not in the locker room. 

No, he isn't

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Yeah, he is. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

I read it as him criticizing his teammates last season, not the coaches. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Yeah, he is. 

He's saying that too many of the starters last year were content with throwing 4-5 innings and coming out of the game.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

And this year they are not. Openly questioning the strategy of last year's team. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

And this year they are not. Openly questioning the strategy of last year's team. 

It's not that hard of a quote to understand

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

It seems to me he's just saying they want to pitch deeper this year. Doesn't seem like a mutiny

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

It seems to me he's just saying they want to pitch deeper this year. Doesn't seem like a mutiny

And Rocco is gonna still stick to the short starts. That's his style. We saw a little friction with that last year, and now Gray is basically calling out that strategy? That's a little dicey for cohesiveness. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I said I won't say mutiny, b/c I don't think it's at that point....but that some serious rumblings. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

Hoo boy....discontent in the locker room is not a good thing. I won't say mutiny, but.....

I don't think it's discontent considering 2 of last year's most-used starters aren't on the team anymore and the rest (Winder, Varland, Sands, Woods-Richardson, and Ober/Maeda-depending on health/effectiveness) won't be in the rotation barring injury or poor performance. 

You can look at the total # of IP if you want but that's a bit of a strawman argument IMO. Everybody in the top 40 of IP last season except Verlander started at least 30 games, and nobody in the top 50 started fewer than Joe Ryan (who started 27). Ryan and Gray both missed 5-7 starts due to injury and Gray had a couple starts shortened after leaving the game with injury. If Ryan has 4 more starts last season and pitches his avg # of innings he finishes somewhere in the 37-40 range for IP at minimum. If he gets to 32-33 like most healthy opening day starters did, he'd have finished somewhere in the 20s (Nick Pevetta from Boston started 33 games at the same IP/start ratio as Ryan and finished 28th in IP with significantly worse numbers). Same story holds true for Sonny Gray, BTW. Of his 22 starts where he left the game healthy he averaged 5.3 IP, and that includes two short starts as they nursed him back from his hamstring injury.

I looked at this more as "We improved our rotation by dumping stiffs like Bundy and Archer, all our guys now are capable of going 5-6 innings regularly" more than sewing discontent. Did you guys really want to see Dylan Bundy and his 4.89 ERA with 24 HRs allowed in 140 innings, and Chris Archer with his 4.56 ERA (and 48 BBs in 102 IP) get more innings? I didn't. Apparently Rocco didn't either. 

From Fangraphs article Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Pretty Solid Starting Pitchers

Out of all 782 2/3 innings thrown by Twins starters last season, only 60% were thrown by pitchers who are still within the Twins’ organization. Among the pitchers likely to be among Minnesota’s top six starting pitchers in 2023, that number drops to 43.3%. If you want to go by number of starts rather than innings, 58% of Minnesota’s 2022 games started are still with the team; 40.7% are likely to be among the team’s top six starters this year.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

And Rocco is gonna still stick to the short starts. That's his style. We saw a little friction with that last year, and now Gray is basically calling out that strategy? That's a little dicey for cohesiveness. 

It was his style with the terrible pitchers we had last year. He's shown the willingness to ride the top guys longer when they have a track record of staying healthy (see Berrios averaging over 6 IP/start in 2021, Maeda in 2020, Berrios again in 2019). Last year's rotation had injury issues with some (Ryan, Gray) and performance issues with others (Bundy, Archer) not to mention the guys who were out virtually the entire season. 

The guy who finished 7th in the league in IP last season averaged getting 1.5 more outs per game than Joe Ryan did last year and is a 34 year old journeyman at the end of his career, not a promising young pitcher that the franchise is hoping to be a cornerstone for years to come. It's not like Rocco yanked him after 4 every other start. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Who was the guy that was yanked in the 7th after no-hitting or one hitting the opponents? He was not happy. That was BS. That pitcher was "on" that day. It's stuff like that, too. I like Rocco, but I think he overdoes the analytics. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Who was the guy that was yanked in the 7th after no-hitting or one hitting the opponents? He was not happy. That was BS. That pitcher was "on" that day. It's stuff like that, too. I like Rocco, but I think he overdoes the analytics. 

That was Joe Ryan.

He was at 106 pitches with 2 innings left to go. To chase the no-hitter you're looking at 135-140 pitches. For a guy who has never thrown more than 110 in a major league game and had already battled a couple arm issues.

And again, that isn't really an "analytics" thing. It's a player safety thing. Ron Gardenhire, who'd just as soon wipe his butt with a cactus as he would embrace analytics, pulled Kevin Slowey with a no hitter (weirdly enough with the same number of pitches thrown) in 2010. Gardy also pulled Johan Santana when he had a chance at history with 17 Ks in 2007 due to his high pitch count (maybe prescient considering a few years later the Mets let Johan throw 140ish pitches for a no hitter which essentially ruined his career - following his no hitter he made 10 more starts, pitched 48 innings and allowed 45 earned runs, then never pitched in the majors again at the age of 32).

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Johan actually pulled himself out in that game. As he walked off the mound, he took off his hat and waved at the crowd.  

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @composer

Johan actually pulled himself out in that game. As he walked off the mound, he took off his hat and waved at the crowd.  

I remember that. My assumption is that he knew he was at his limit (he was at 112 pitches according to baseballreference) and he and Gardy had talked before the inning so he knew the 8th would be his last.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @composer

I remember that. My assumption is that he knew he was at his limit (he was at 112 pitches according to baseballreference) and he and Gardy had talked before the inning so he knew the 8th would be his last.

Actually, he pitched 8 innings.  Here’s a paragraph from the papers the next day:

I really didn’t make a decision. He did a curtain call before I even got down there,” manager Ron Gardenhire said after Santana pitched eight record-breaking innings, then walked into history and allowed Joe Nathan to cement the Twins’ 1-0 victory over Texas. “I said ‘Andy, what does that mean?’ (Pitching coach Rick Anderson) said, ‘I guess he’s done.’ ”

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden

I'll be at Target Field--Twins having a watch party for STH's.  Free Food, cash bar.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Correa and Buxton single and Miranda walks but Gordon gets jammed and the Twins leave the bases loaded in the top of the first.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Lopez gets out of a bases loaded jam with a 3-2-4 double play ground ball to end the 5th.

Buxton leads off the 6th with a triple, Larnach singles him home.

Twins lead 1-0. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Lopez goes 5.1 IP, 2 hits, 3 walks, 8 Ks, no runs in his Twins debut.

His changeup is as good as advertised (if not better). Really fun to watch.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

Twins pitching is lights out in a 2 hit shut out. Will anybody score a run on them this season?

The bullpen throws 3 and 2/3 innings of hitless relief.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Twins pitching is lights out in a 2 hit shut out. Will anybody score a run on them this season?

The bullpen throws 3 and 2/3 innings of hitless relief.

The Lopez-Jax-Duran 7th-8th-9th mix is real nice.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I really dig these navy uniforms. The M hat is still pretty mediocre (at best) but the jerseys are real nice IMHO.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins win 2-0 again.

Gray goes 5 innings, 4 walks and 3 hits. Alcala with his season debut in the 6th, followed by Jax, Thielbar, and Lopez close it out.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Twins win 2-0 again.

Gray goes 5 innings, 4 walks and 3 hits. Alcala with his season debut in the 6th, followed by Jax, Thielbar, and Lopez close it out.

on pace to not give up any runs all year

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins lose their season-long shutout but win again, 7-4.

Joey Gallo did this

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1642612552407416833?s=20

And then this

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1642617648432152576?s=20

First two HRs of the season for the Twins. 

6 very efficient innings for Ryan on the mound. 6IP on 80 pitches. He also got clocked at 96mph today, the fastest pitch of his major league career. If his velo is up all season he could be disgustingly good. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

It's one game, I know, but we might have caught lightning in a bottle with Gallo. Although I do compare it to the sun shining on a dog's ass right now. We'll see. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

It's one game, I know, but we might have caught lightning in a bottle with Gallo. Although I do compare it to the sun shining on a dog's ass right now. We'll see. 

I said this at the time they signed him too, but it was a low-risk high reward move. He was runner up in AL MVP voting a few years ago and has been an all star twice in the last 4 years. He had an abysmal season last year playing with the Yankees and Dodgers-two of the highest intensity teams you could play for and two teams where when you struggle everything gets magnified and compounds on itself. The hope is being in a smaller market would allow him to relax more and press less.

He's a 29 year old 2 time all-star that is very good in the outfield (2x gold glove winner) and provides viable depth at 1B too. He had a terrible season last year and will never hit for a high average (highest in his career is .253) but he gets on base at a serviceable clip despite his low average (.325 OBP even after his awful season last year) and can also make the ball go far when he gets hot. He strikes out a lot but these days so do most hitters. If he can hit .210 with a .325 OBP and hit his career average slugging % it will be an absolute steal at his current contract. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I said this at the time they signed him too, but it was a low-risk high reward move. He was runner up in AL MVP voting a few years ago and has been an all star twice in the last 4 years. He had an abysmal season last year playing with the Yankees and Dodgers-two of the highest intensity teams you could play for and two teams where when you struggle everything gets magnified and compounds on itself. The hope is being in a smaller market would allow him to relax more and press less.

He's a 29 year old 2 time all-star that is very good in the outfield (2x gold glove winner) and provides viable depth at 1B too. He had a terrible season last year and will never hit for a high average (highest in his career is .253) but he gets on base at a serviceable clip despite his low average (.325 OBP even after his awful season last year) and can also make the ball go far when he gets hot. He strikes out a lot but these days so do most hitters. If he can hit .210 with a .325 OBP and hit his career average slugging % it will be an absolute steal at his current contract. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

I wonder who knocks that A's team out of the playoffs? ? ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Well, they got on base. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I wonder who knocks that A's team out of the playoffs? ? ? 

The Twins winning a playoff series is so rare, they made a movie about it?

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

the Twinkies have the longest losing streak in professional sports playoffs 18 years

Aloha!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10537
Post on old board: 21741

Gallo is locked in right now. 
?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

That may have left the yard before he finished his swing. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2023/04/03.aspx

One reason for withholding the Twins payment is due not so much to the size of its rights contract but it’s length. The Twins deal with Bally Sports North ends after this season, and sources say the team has not been receptive to cutting a new deal.

A main question comes down to what will happen to the Guardians and Twins rights if Diamond does not pay within its cure period. Almost immediately, MLB will petition the bankruptcy court to make a decision about who controls those rights and whether bankruptcy affords Diamond protection in this case.

MLB clearly believes that the rights will go back to the teams. League execs have said that it has arrangements in place to produce and distribute the games in both markets, though it has been short on specifics and cost structures

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins winning 10-1 in the 8th. Mahle goes 5IP, 5 hits, 1 walk, 7 Ks, 1 earned run. 

Kepler, Gallo, and Larnach with HRs and Larnach has a 3B as well.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Jeffers adds a HR in the 9th. Twins win 11-1.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Hockey fan with opening day tickets?  
Do the Twins have some good news for you!

https://twitter.com/twins/status/1643313168796590081?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

Composer reacted
Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Hockey fan with opening day tickets?  
Do the Twins have some good news for you!

https://twitter.com/twins/status/1643313168796590081?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

I have tickets, so I'm glad for two reasons.  I get to watch the hockey game, and...

Thursday                                             

36 degrees, 17 mph wind                       

Friday

51 degrees, 10 MPH wind

Greyeagle reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/MLBNow/status/1643331351054041090?s=20

Obviously small sample size but promising results so far. 

Carlos Correa raved about Twins hitting coach David Popkins last season and credited him with his second-half turnaround. Hopefully Popkins can help unlock Gallo's full potential.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The dream is dead….Twins trail in a game. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

The dream is dead….Twins trail in a game. 

On the plus side, Sandy Alcantara is pitching for the Marlins and he is exceptionally fun to watch.

I did not expect to see Maeda with double Alcantara's K's through 3.5 innings though.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7239
Post on old board: 10120

I’m at the game.  I can’t tell from their hats which team is which.  ?

And our jerseys look black.  

Greyeagle reacted
Page 5 / 29