53 Users
194 Likes
31.7 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

Twins just paid Correa, have a crowded infield, need pitching. They go get a #3 starter (at the least, projected to be a #2, or maybe #1b), plus two big prospects (one of them was #5 prospect overall). 

Right now, I like the trade. If it pans out, LOVE the trade. If Pablo remains a #3 starter, the trade is meh. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1197

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Just typical of this terrible organization. Operate in a league with NO SALARY CAP…where pitchers can be signed as free agents by organizations willing to pony up the ?…then trading a player you developed who just won the batting title…because you don’t want to pay him going forward, and sell it as “we needed to trade him to obtain quality pitching”…lmao. It’s why I no longer give 3 sh-ts about this ? team! 

If you no longer give 3 sh-ts about the team, why do you care what they do? ? 

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @the-rube

Twins just paid Correa, have a crowded infield, need pitching. They go get a #3 starter (at the least, projected to be a #2, or maybe #1b), plus two big prospects (one of them was #5 prospect overall). 

Right now, I like the trade. If it pans out, LOVE the trade. If Pablo remains a #3 starter, the trade is meh. 

#5 prospect for the Marlins.  Not in all of MLB.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I stand corrected, then. My bad. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3315
Post on old board: 30840

#5 for the Marlins, #93 in Baseball Prospectus's top 101 list and 83rd on Fangraphs top 100. To be #5 in the loaded Marlins prospect pool usually means you're in the top 110 in all of MLB.

He's a very solid overall prospect and is a switch hitter too, with projectionable size to grow into (he's 6'2" currently) so it is very feasible he turns into a 20-25 HR a year guy. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6930
Post on old board: 18942

They still lack pitching by a wide margin.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

On paper this is the best, deepest starting rotation they've had in my entire life. The worst ERA of their projected SP from last season is 4.40. With Maeda, Winder, SWR, and Paddack (probably out until midseason) all quality options for injury replacements. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1176
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @beauner

On paper this is the best, deepest starting rotation they've had in my entire life. The worst ERA of their projected SP from last season is 4.40. With Maeda, Winder, SWR, and Paddack (probably out until midseason) all quality options for injury replacements. 

If that’s the case…you’re de facto born after 1991. ?? That’s literally the last time (I recall) the Twins having 3 effective starting pitchers. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4565
Post on old board: 28736

Come on...you can't honestly believe that.  

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1152

1. Posted by: @handyman

I'd have to dig a little deeper on the stats but he did say "deepest" (not best) and "starting" (not entire) pitching staff.  He also said "on paper" ... So lots of caveats there.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5147

He’s not wrong. But if they all get hurt again, yeah blow it up this year isn’t going to be any different. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bearpaw28

If that’s the case…you’re de facto born after 1991. ?? That’s literally the last time (I recall) the Twins having 3 effective starting pitchers. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Find me another rotation that was as good as this one since 1988? 

MAYBE 1991? Tapani, Morris, Scott Erickson, Mark Guthrie, and Allan Anderson? 

It's a pretty low bar to clear. The only ones close are a couple of the Johan seasons. Johan is likely better than anyone this rotation has, and we had about 16 starts from Liriano that year. The rest of that rotation had Carlos Silva, Boof Bonser and Brad Radke with Moonshot Scott as their 6th SP. 

The mid-90s rotations were absolutely awful, so were most of the rotations from 2011-2018. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I agree with all the caveats: Deepest, on paper, and starting. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

I'd have to dig a little deeper on the stats but he did say "deepest" (not best) and "starting" (not entire) pitching staff.  He also said "on paper" ... So lots of caveats there.

Well until games are played, all prognostication is based "on paper". A team could go into a season with Verlander, deGrom and Scherzer in their rotation but if they all blow out their arms what good does it do the team?

Their bullpen is still a question mark. Duran looks elite. They will hopefully have a healthy Alcala and Jax back. Jorge Lopez is a very quality late inning guy. Thielbar is still a quality lefty. Depending on health of everyone else it wouldn't surprise me if they use Maeda out of the pen at times too.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Well until games are played, all prognostication is based "on paper". A team could go into a season with Verlander, deGrom and Scherzer in their rotation but if they all blow out their arms what good does it do the team?

Their bullpen is still a question mark. Duran looks elite. They will hopefully have a healthy Alcala and Jax back. Jorge Lopez is a very quality late inning guy. Thielbar is still a quality lefty. Depending on health of everyone else it wouldn't surprise me if they use Maeda out of the pen at times too.

I actually didn't disagree with your statement but it will all come down to how they perform and if they can avoid getting injured.  I like the starters on paper.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12495
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1617672591321468928

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7406

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Going to be interesting to see what they are giving up. Last I saw, KC wanted Josh Winder for Taylor and the Twins said no.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com adds that minor league left-hander Evan Sisk and right-hander Steven Cruz will head back to the Royals in the deal.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Apparently the Twins are going all defense this year. ? 

https://twitter.com/Nashwalker9/status/1617673548826574849

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

That's a hell of a drop in asking price for Taylor from KC. A young promising SP for a couple middle relief prospects.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1617683520486539265?s=20&t=U9MV5N9pGvYPUZiyFgeDBQ

Taylor is exceptionally good defensively (as noted above) and brings a right handed hitter to the outfield rotation, which was much needed with Gallo, Larnach, Kepler, and Kiriloff all being LHH.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Based on this it sounds like one the guys they traded was Wild Thing/Charlie Sheen from the movie Major League.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1617679926425169927

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1197

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Based on this it sounds like one the guys they traded was Wild Thing/Charlie Sheen from the movie Major League.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1617679926425169927

Or possibly Ebbie Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh, from Bull Durham.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2513
Post on old board: 7833

Charlie Sheen Baseball GIF by Comedy Central

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Traded away more pitching.  ? 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5591
Post on old board: 16243

Twins hat with a Mickey’s Diner theme. Mickey’s still not open for what I can tell. The pandemic hit them hard. They tried reopening for a bit but shit back down. They were doing some remodeling with plans to open late 2022. Still hasn’t happened for what I can tell and according to their website. Mickey’s was a staple in my life all the way up to the pandemic. Ate there at least once a month, if not more.

Untitled

Keep your stick on the ice...

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Bought tickets for UofMN night.  May be my last Twins game for awhile.  $42 for tickets up in the 300 level?!?!  Good lord.

On to the Saints.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4598
Post on old board: 10695

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1625191805909360640?t=MAx6fsGOkafpxdIRaRXsRg&s=19

I hate this.

How many long-time baseball fans don't?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

Cowgirl and Steve MN reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

I heard the Twins wanted to have a more versatile team this year but I think this is taking it too far.

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1629204781641175040

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1625191805909360640?t=MAx6fsGOkafpxdIRaRXsRg&s=19

I hate this.

Might be time to invest in pitching.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Man does the center fielder have a lot of ground to cover if Gallo ever hits a ball to left field either in the air or on the ground that gets past the 3B and SS.

This is legal even with the new shift rule because there are two fielders on each side of second base on the infield dirt. 

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1631728628064223232

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3917
Post on old board: 9428

I hate this.

The implementation of the pitch clock means they really don’t need to do this any more so of course they make it permanent. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Man does the center fielder have a lot of ground to cover if Gallo ever hits a ball to left field either in the air or on the ground that gets past the 3B and SS.

This is legal even with the new shift rule because there are two fielders on each side of second base on the infield dirt. 

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1631728628064223232

Very interesting. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Short-fielder. See it in softball quite a bit, but obv there are 4 outfielders in most lower-level leagues (the higher leagues usually use a 5-man infield). 

We'll see how the above formation pans out, but an interesting strategy to somewhat skirt the rules.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Rough start today.  Twins have gotten 4 total outs on 40 pitches and 2 runs scored.  Bullpen already up.  Terrible pick off throw to 2nd into centerfield.  Eesh.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Did I see correctly that Buxton has yet to make an appearance in Spring Training?  What is going on with this guy?

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Did I see correctly that Buxton has yet to make an appearance in Spring Training?  What is going on with this guy?

This article explains it, but yeah, talk about fragile.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/where-is-byron-buxton/

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I am not a baseball guy but I do enjoy summer and having a competitive team.  Isn’t it important for players to get at bats against MLB pitchers during spring training so they hopefully aren’t batting 0.180 at the end of May?

Seems like it would be hard to get early wins if the players you expect to make an impact are struggling early due to lack of spring training reps.  My guess is he’s hurt or they’d be getting AB as the DH at a minimum.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

I am not a baseball guy but I do enjoy summer and having a competitive team.  Isn’t it important for players to get at bats against MLB pitchers during spring training so they hopefully aren’t batting 0.180 at the end of May?

Seems like it would be hard to get early wins if the players you expect to make an impact are struggling early due to lack of spring training reps.  My guess is he’s hurt or they’d be getting AB as the DH at a minimum.

He's still "recovering" from his season-ending injury from last year.  I guess if there's any player you need to be extra cautious with, it's Buxton.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

The Yankees had the “Iron Horse”, the Twins have the “Glass Cheetah”

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

He, Polanco, Kiriloff, and a few others have been pretty routinely taking at bats on the "back fields" at the training facility against pitchers. They get plenty of at-bats while they are doing their rehab programs and limits their chances of re-aggravating their injuries in the field. 

They get more swings in a shorter period of time doing this than they do batting 1-2x very 5 innings. Generally against higher caliber pitching than they would see in a random spring training game. 

Example: Today, Buxton, Polanco, Kiriloff, and Nick Gordon were on one of the back fields taking live at-bats against Kenta Maeda. Meanwhile the Yankees pitched a bunch of journeymen fringe-minor leaguers. I'd rather they each get 5-8 at bats against a proven MLB starter than against a guy with a 5+ ERA in AAA. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

That’s fair.  I hope this is the year he can play a normal season!

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2355
Post on old board: 11850

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Hoo boy....discontent in the locker room is not a good thing. I won't say mutiny, but.....

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The Twins highest ranked P for IP in 2022 was Joe Ryan at 69 with 147.  Bundy (74) had 140 and no other pitcher was in the Top 100.  If I'm a SP for the Twins I wouldn't like that strategy either.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The Twins highest ranked P for IP in 2022 was Joe Ryan at 69 with 147.  Bundy (74) had 140 and no other pitcher was in the Top 100.  If I'm a SP for the Twins I wouldn't like that strategy either.

Now, Nolan was a freak, (and many better than average to great pitchers easily threw a TON of pitches), we all know this. But that "magical" 100 pitch count can go F itself. 

Page 4 / 29