Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @j22

Saw a guy wearing that new M hat at the bar the other night. It looked better than I thought it would after seeing pics of it.

are you under the age of 30?  Nobody older should find that palatable.  😉

I got one as a Christmas present. I will be returning it.

I saw someone at the Gopher game wearing the new Minnesota Marlins hat and I thought it was just as awful in person as it was in the photos.  HATED IT.

If they want to rebrand they should try signing a good starting pitcher or two.  THAT would be a new look!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @bertogliat

I saw someone at the Gopher game wearing the new Minnesota Marlins hat and I thought it was just as awful in person as it was in the photos.  HATED IT.

Those things are atrocious.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @greyeagle

Posted by: @karlsson

Heyman has seemed to be a mouthpiece for Boras throughout all of this, so I’m also not buying there’s any real chance he comes back. There’s a couple pennies left on the table so they’re using the Twins for leverage. Again. 

Ha!  I first thought this said @Handyman which seemed strange since I can't imagine a long winded hockey board poster being an agent's mouthpiece.......on Twitter where there is a character limit.   ? 

My real name is Arli$$...

Greyeagle reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

I mean yeah he’ll totally be back no question.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Update: Apparently the vesting option is for 4 years

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1612863366959173687?s=20&t=Kt6am52GqK3pqrfLImMxYQ

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

This franchise is so stupid it is actually comical.  Congrats...you win the bronze...overpaying a FA who failed physicals with 2 teams and they refused to sign him.

I am sure Gleeman and the Geek will do victory laps and pretend this means the Twins are a contender.  The Rubes will eat it up!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

This franchise is so stupid it is actually comical.  Congrats...you win the bronze...overpaying a FA who failed physicals with 2 teams and they refused to sign him.

I am sure Gleeman and the Geek will do victory laps and pretend this means the Twins are a contender.  The Rubes will eat it up!

He didn't "fail" the physical. They had concerns about his long-term health and were trying to negotiate down on the initially agreed-upon terms. When you're signing a guy to a 13 year deal they want you to be healthy for the long term.

The Twins offered him 6/$200mil which means they'll be less concerned about his health when he's 35-41 than the Mets and Giants would be. My assumption is the extra 70 million in vesting options will be directly tied to how many games he plays. 

If this deal DOES get finalized, I would expect the Twins to work a trade, likely centered around Luis Arraez, for one of the Marlins young SPs.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

More details: Year 7 becomes guaranteed if he has 502 plate appearances in year 6. Year 8 likely follows a similar path.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1612864984677060616?s=20&t=Kt6am52GqK3pqrfLImMxYQ

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Because this is more focused on how he’s doing further down the road, I’m not irritated by it. If he blows up it is 6/200, which is a lot less than the highest he’s been offered. Still need pitching, and a decent amount of it. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

It still says pending physical. 

Carlos takes a physical for the Twins.

Twins speaking to Carlos: "Carlos your physical shows an issue with your ankle so we are going to need to renegotiate this deal" and the saga starts all over again. ? 

In all seriousness, I would hope that by now the Twins know what Carlos' health is like and this should be the end of it all.

I am surprised the Giants and/or Mets couldn't work out a similar deal with Carlos. Does this mean that if the money was similar he actually wanted to stay with the Twins or does it mean the Giants/Mets were unwilling to give him a similar deal (once they had an issue with his physical) that the Twins gave him?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @karlsson

Heyman has seemed to be a mouthpiece for Boras throughout all of this, so I’m also not buying there’s any real chance he comes back. There’s a couple pennies left on the table so they’re using the Twins for leverage. Again. 

This is now multiple times lately you have said something and immediately the exact opposite has happened. From now on when somebody does this I am going to call it "Pulling a karlsson". ? ? 

BTW this is just my silly personality coming out. It's nothing against you personally.

Greyeagle reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Yeah I’m compiling a list of things I’d love to have happen and will start posting the opposite here sometime in the upcoming few weeks. 

HandyNotDan reacted
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

0 Qmt18m8ZI3f6R0QK

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Twins speaking to Carlos: "Carlos your physical shows an issue with your ankle so we are going to need to renegotiate this deal" and the saga starts all over again. ? 

In all seriousness, I would hope that by now the Twins know what Carlos' health is like and this should be the end of it all.

I am surprised the Giants and/or Mets couldn't work out a similar deal with Carlos. Does this mean that if the money was similar he actually wanted to stay with the Twins or does it mean the Giants/Mets were unwilling to give him a similar deal (once they had an issue with his physical) that the Twins gave him?

My guess is that Carlos and Scott were a bit irritated with the Giants/Mets after they pulled their offers initially and when talks stalled the Twins said "Well we'll pay more than they will for a shorter term deal and then offer you vested options to get out to 10 years" and still get close to the Twins initial reported offer (the Twins initial offer was 10/$285 million, if Correa hits all the performance bonuses to gain all 4 vested options he'll end up at 10/$270). 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 9428

I’m assuming Carlos hasn’t seen the new and atrocious Twins hat he’ll have to wear?

Cowgirl, Bertogliat, HandyNotDan and 2 people reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2567
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @bigbeer

I’m assuming Carlos hasn’t seen the new and atrocious Twins hat he’ll have to wear?

Was drinking a glass of milk when I read this. Not a pretty result. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @bigbeer

In related news: 

Correa has signed pending he doesn't have to wear the new M hat. ? 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @beauner

My guess is that Carlos and Scott were a bit irritated with the Giants/Mets after they pulled their offers initially and when talks stalled the Twins said "Well we'll pay more than they will for a shorter term deal and then offer you vested options to get out to 10 years" and still get close to the Twins initial reported offer (the Twins initial offer was 10/$285 million, if Correa hits all the performance bonuses to gain all 4 vested options he'll end up at 10/$270). 

One thing that likely worked in the fair of the Twins over the Mets is the Mets were going to move Correa to 3rd base (because they have Francisco Lindor at SS) which Carlos was willing to do if he got the full longer contract but if he can't get the huge long contract he probably started thinking I would rather play for a team that I can play my nature position of SS. I am curious if the Giants tried to give him a shorter deal with similar numbers like the Twins did? We may never know.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7679
Post on old board: 35040

I think the Mets/Giants offered those huge contracts, then ACTUALLY thought about those last years, and said to themselves, "Wait a second..."

Either way, good for the Twins, I like the deal, esp with the option JUST in case things stay healthy with CC. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 9428

I believe on KFAN today Lavelle described the MRI on Correa’s ankle as “crazy”. There’s a probable long term issue but this deal seems best case for the Twins. He’s a great player but most importantly he’s now committed here and a leader for Latin players on the team. He can also easily move to 3rd base and still be super impactful. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

6 years is about right. After that, rolling the dice. Everyone can go back and forth on the pay, fine. The Twins got a prize FA, they KNOW what he is, simple as that. There should be little to no complaining from the fanbase, but then again, we are Twins fans...

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

6 years is about right. After that, rolling the dice. Everyone can go back and forth on the pay, fine. The Twins got a prize FA, they KNOW what he is, simple as that. There should be little to no complaining from the fanbase, but then again, we are Twins fans...

They'll complain in a few days when they trade Luis Arraez for a SP.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

They'll complain in a few days when they trade Luis Arraez for a SP.

Not from me,  I love Arraez.  Great hitter from his first game in the majors.  Super clutch.  I'd love for the Twins to keep him, but his stock is probably at the highest it will ever be and I'd be fine if we can get a solid SP for him.  For the Twins it seems drafting and developing hitters is MUCH easier than drafting and developing starting pitchers.  So if another team can part with a SP, the Twins have to make the trade.

Correa + Starting Pitcher - Arraez > Arraez 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1613188215489323011?t=KT0n6g3Jm5r7ZiqcNDTxFA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1612883309138219009

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1613190267539947521

They've changed their minds on those stupid new hats? 

Hey a girl can dream.

Cowgirl, gator and Bertogliat reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1613190267539947521

Well, that was time stamped after the Correa news and it's no longer morning so...... do we know what this was?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

They will be adding Denny Hocking's #7 alongside Mauer as a retired number

Iceburg reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

They will celebrate the 32nd anniversary of the 1991 World Series win.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I think the Twins announcing the signing of Correa was the news.  Anticlimactic after the news broke that the deal was all but done.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10542
Post on old board: 21741

Sad. 
Great guy. 

https://twitter.com/patrick_reusse/status/1616277711315419137?s=46&t=pj4BGJSWcZpWlcybe_PMZw

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 332

@beauner Tough to see Luis go, he was a very entertaining player to watch at the plate. Will be interesting to see what the full package is.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

I know they need pitching but Lopez won 10 games last year and has 94 starts in 5 seasons. I hope the "more involved" brings a lot more to Minnesota.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

Welp, day ruined. Gophers gotta pick me up tonight. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Fun stats and information about Pablo Lopez from FanGraphs

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pablo-lopez-is-one-of-baseballs-most-overlooked-starters/

Best ERA- by National League Starters, 2020-22
Name FIP WAR ERA-
Jacob deGrom 1.67 7.5 40
Trevor Bauer 3.57 4.3 53
Corbin Burnes 1.98 10.6 53
Tony Gonsolin 3.34 3.1 54
Ranger Suárez 3.08 2.7 60
Walker Buehler 3.31 7.0 65
Max Scherzer 3.08 8.3 65
Zack Wheeler 2.74 10.3 68
Max Fried 3.16 6.6 68
Brandon Woodruff 3.11 7.4 70
Pablo López 3.01 5.4 71
Clayton Kershaw 2.98 5.8 71
Kevin Gausman 2.99 6.4 73
Julio Urías 3.46 6.5 73

ZiPS Projection – Pablo Lopez
Year W L S ERA G GS IP H ER HR BB SO ERA+ WAR
2023 10 7 0 3.25 29 29 146.7 127 53 14 36 158 130 3.5
2024 10 6 0 3.21 28 28 143.0 122 51 14 34 155 132 3.5
2025 10 6 0 3.22 27 27 137.0 118 49 13 33 147 131 3.3
2026 9 5 0 3.25 25 25 127.3 109 46 12 30 136 130 3.0
2027 8 5 0 3.23 23 23 119.7 102 43 12 29 130 131 2.9

But those are rate stats you associate with No. 1 starters, with his projected ERA+ about matching the average season from Justin Verlander (130), Roy Halladay (131) or Gerrit Cole (129). While López’s strikeout rate has improved compared to his first two seasons in the majors, it’s still not his strongest point, and with his improved contact and swing rates, ZiPS sees him as still having additional upside, similar to how it felt about Dylan Cease following his 2021 breakout season.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

If he brings his own hat the Twins will save $25 so there is that!

HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 527

The good news is that the players involved can wear their same hat.  ? 

I like Arraez, but I don't mind the trade.  Arraez didn't have a position here.  The batting champion title is a bit misleading since it was the lowest average for a batting champ since 1968.  .316 used to just be called "a good season".

EDIT:  Bertogliat beat me to the joke.  Too easy, I guess.  Smile

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

I’m A ok with the trade. Arraez and his knees are a ticking time bomb. He hit a bunch of singles with very little power. Sure he was annoying to pitch to, but didn’t add a ton of value. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I hate to see him go, but I don’t think we were screwed here. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

A2388DAA 0664 428F 8D6F C058746CBAA4

I hear the Salas kid is one of the Marlins better prospects, but I wish the Twins got more pitching in return for the AL batting champion.  They just don’t seem to get they need WAAAY more help at pitching than this.  How about flyer on a pitching prospect rather than more INF and OF?  

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Caught some Lavelle E Neal last night on the FAN, and he said the original offer (rumored) was a 1 for 1 deal, and the Twins scoffed. A couple hours later, trade was completed, Lavelle called the team official back and asked WTF? The official said, "They threw in a couple prospects."

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2567
Post on old board: 7833

From “Baseball America”

Jose Salas, SS

The Marlins have a large group of talented middle infield prospects in the low minors, and the 19-year-old rose to the top of that group in 2022 thanks to a strong early performance at Low-A that led the Marlins to bump him to High-A Beloit. There are questions about his long-term defensive home: Some scouts believe third base would fit because of his above-average arm strength. Others believe second base is a better fit because his power potential is only average. A great deal of his long-term future depends on his physical development. He worked throughout the 2022 season to take some of the moving parts off his swing, leaving him with a cleaner stroke that should allow him to hit for a decent average. Salas has no standout tool, but he doesn’t have a glaring weakness, either.

Byron Chourio, OF

Chourio signed out of Venezuela in 2022 and was coveted by the Marlins for his remaining projection and pretty swings from both sides of the plate. He was excellent in his pro debut, hitting .344 with nearly as many walks (25) as strikeouts (27) in the Dominican Summer League. He also did an excellent job putting the bat on the ball, as shown by his in-zone miss rate of just 12% over the course of the summer. He needs to get stronger, but his 6-foot-2 frame is big enough to take plenty of additional good weight. He’s got an above-average arm that could help him fit in a corner if he gets too big, but he’s an above-average runner as well and should continue his development in center field.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

Just typical of this terrible organization. Operate in a league with NO SALARY CAP…where pitchers can be signed as free agents by organizations willing to pony up the ?…then trading a player you developed who just won the batting title…because you don’t want to pay him going forward, and sell it as “we needed to trade him to obtain quality pitching”…lmao. It’s why I no longer give 3 sh-ts about this ? team! 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Told ya if wouldn't take long for people to start complaining about the inevitable Arraez trade ?

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

Told ya if wouldn't take long for people to start complaining about the inevitable Arraez trade ?

lol…you’re the biggest Twins shill on GPL, it’s laughable that you’re not on their payroll…? what gives? why aren’t they paying you? And specifically what in my post(above) is non-factual? It’s been the Twins way…since roughly the mid 90’s, nothing changes…

Page 3 / 29