154 Likes
19 K Views
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2513
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

This has been out there for a couple of weeks, but I don’t recall seeing it on here. There is a pretty new (a year or two) private school in Duluth called Stella Maris Academy. They will be starting a hockey program (apparently only boys) starting for the 2023-24 season. Heading up the program is Scott Pionk who has been a long time coach at various levels in Hermantown.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

This has been out there for a couple of weeks, but I don’t recall seeing it on here. There is a pretty new (a year or two) private school in Duluth called Stella Maris Academy. They will be starting a hockey program (apparently only boys) starting for the 2023-24 season. Heading up the program is Scott Pionk who has been a long time coach at various levels in Hermantown.

It'll be interesting to see if they play A or AA.  Maybe Pionk will pull kids away from Hermantown who want to compete at the AA level?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5592
Post on old board: 16243

It’ll be interesting to see if they play A or AA. Maybe Pionk will pull kids away from Hermantown who want to compete at the AA level?

When I read Iceburg's post last week that was my first thought.  Stella Maris Academy is going to be a thorn in Hermantown's side.  They'll probably play A for a season, maybe two and with any success move to AA.

Keep your stick on the ice...

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1706

Mike Randolph is the guy at St. Thomas Academy. The school put out a blurb this morning saying he is their next head coach.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Mike Randolph is the guy at St. Thomas Academy. The school put out a blurb this morning saying he is their next head coach.

Huge Randolph fan.  Top 3 coach in the state along with Lechner and Giles.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786

and in a once was a great program and now no one cares news.... Jefferson got a new coach too.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Maybe Jefferson will have a chance to come back when all the PWB folks get old and die and younger couples with money move in.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

and in a once was a great program and now no one cares news…. Jefferson got a new coach too.

Vegoe has mentioned a couple of times the Jefferson youth program is growing.  Though talking about nonexistent/nobody cares... Kennedy.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786

PWB folks

What is PWB?

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Prestigious West Bloomington

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Prestigious West Bloomington

If you assumed anyone other than you would know that, you need to stop using acronyms when you write.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10472
Post on old board: 21741

If you assumed anyone other than you would know that, you need to stop using acronyms when you write.

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.?

'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Apparently none of you including Jup read this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blades-Glory-True-Story-Young/dp/1402200471

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

LOL.  No.

When you assume you make and "ass" out of "u" and....well that's the end.

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

Apparently none of you including Jup read this: <iframe style="max-width: 100%;" title="Blades of Glory: The True Story of a Young Team Bred to Win" src="https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_RaW8A9AEpegi4Z&asin=1402200471&tag=kpembed-20" width="678" height="550" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

I remember that Semi Final Saturday real at Braemar. Not the way the story was suppose to end for the Jag, sorry about that!

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

What was the word on Eigner not being renewed?

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1152

and in a once was a great program and now no one cares news…. Jefferson got a new coach too.

Vegoe has mentioned a couple of times the Jefferson youth program is growing. Though talking about nonexistent/nobody cares… Kennedy.

Kennedy is even struggling to find players for basketball in the youth levels.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12496
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/YouthHockeyHub/status/1537170989955665922

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

Another sign how that the best of Minnesota high school hockey has shifted, now extending from the city and close-in suburban schools to the growing and up-and-coming "exurban" communities. It's all about the growth in numbers of young and growing families. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon...

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

The Burnsville/Apple Valley merge is it just for youth hockey or high school as well?!?!?!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

gator wrote...

The Burnsville/Apple Valley merge is it just for youth hockey or high school as well?!?!?!

It is a bit confusing, but this statement was on the Burnsville hockey page. But, why would the MSHSL have to give approval to Mite teams forming a co-op? That said, if they are merging at the lower levels, you can see the writing on the wall in the coming years.

Burnsville Hockey Club has entered into a co-op agreement at the Mite, Squirt, Peewee and Bantam levels with Apple Valley Hockey Association for the 2022-2023 season. 

The girls program has entered into an agreement with Eastview Hockey Association and Apple Valley Hockey Association to at the U10, U12 & U15 levels for the 2022-2023 season.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

skiier32
(@skiier32)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 136

frozen4champs wrote...
gator wrote…

It is a bit confusing, but this statement was on the Burnsville hockey page. But, why would the MSHSL have to give approval to Mite teams forming a co-op? That said, if they are merging at the lower levels, you can see the writing on the wall in the coming years.

Burnsville Hockey Club has entered into a co-op agreement at the Mite, Squirt, Peewee and Bantam levels with Apple Valley Hockey Association for the 2022-2023 season. 

The girls program has entered into an agreement with Eastview Hockey Association and Apple Valley Hockey Association to at the U10, U12 & U15 levels for the 2022-2023 season.

They have co-oped for several years at the youth level.  This would be for the high school level.  Both schools struggled to field varsity and JV teams.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Three pretty damn good Hockey Day games this year.

https://twitter.com/BallySportsNOR/status/1547718615150891008?t=8uu0o8wzbMabMM8cV83I6w&s=19

BetterDeadThenRed
(@betterdeadthenred)
Rep Pts: 17

St. Michael-Albertville is looking for a new boys HC

Tiggsy
(@tiggsy)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 49

skiier32 wrote...
frozen4champs wrote…
gator wrote…

They have co-oped for several years at the youth level.  This would be for the high school level.  Both schools struggled to field varsity and JV teams.

It's not only hockey at the youth level.  We just played their 14U Lacrosse team.  I'll admit Firehawks is kind of clever when you mix the Blaze and the Eagles.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

These aren't exactly first tier suburbs.  Why can't they field teams?  Are these cities gentrifying?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Like the name Firehawks if Apple Valley and Burnsville are going to co-op.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Bertogliat wrote...

These aren’t exactly first tier suburbs.  Why can’t they field teams?  Are these cities gentrifying?

I think suburbs cycle if ages. When Apple Valley built Eastview and split all the newer housing is in the Eastview area.  And 196 shifts neighborhoods around. Our kids were in the Rosemount school system, but 196 shifted some neighborhood lines around and now we are  in the Apple Valley school systems. Which we were happy, cause our oldest is special needs non verbal and AVMS meets her needs better.

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

Bertogliat wrote...

These aren’t exactly first tier suburbs.  Why can’t they field teams?  Are these cities gentrifying?

Some demographics as well.  Take Eden Prairie at the youth level is relatively small. The associations around it are some of the largest in the state. It never made sense to me. It's not money or facilities, but something else that makes that association smaller than one would expect

Tiggsy
(@tiggsy)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 49

Some of it can be really odd and may just be a weird cycle.  I'll take youth lacrosse for example.  Last year there were 7 kids playing u14 so my city disbanded their team.  This year they have maybe 25 on the team.  My kid didn't want to take the risk of them not having a team so he's playing for another nearby association.  Made for an interesting game when my kid's team played our home city where most of the home city players knew my kid.  Made it even more fun that my kid's team crushed them.  :dup:

HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 527

Bertogliat wrote...

By and large, the demographics for youth hockey players are white, upper/upper-middle class.  Those families tend to live in large homes in new developments, not in 1970's split-levels in Apple Valley/Burnsville.

I even see it where I live in Woodbury.  The Woodbury HS boundary on the western side of town is landlocked (no open land for new housing developments) and has older/smaller homes.  The East Ridge HS boundary on the east side of town is mostly new, expensive homes in new developments, with a lot of open land left.  Guess which boundary about >65% of our youth hockey players live in?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6935
Post on old board: 18942

Ok then how does Edina do it?  A LOT of homes in Edina were built on smaller plots and decades ago yet they have zero problem maintaining their program.  Heck, even Minnetonka has a lot of homes built in the 70's.

Now I know firsthand a lot of those homes have been replaced but if those communities can do it why not Apple Valley/Burnsville?

And the western side of Bloomington which feeds Jefferson has no shortage of nice sized homes and is a very pretty area to live in.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...

Ok then how does Edina do it?  A LOT of homes in Edina were built on smaller plots and decades ago yet they have zero problem maintaining their program.  Heck, even Minnetonka has a lot of homes built in the 70’s.

Now I know firsthand a lot of those homes have been replaced but if those communities can do it why not Apple Valley/Burnsville?

And the western side of Bloomington which feeds Jefferson has no shortage of nice sized homes and is a very pretty area to live in.

Edina and Minnetonka have both kept up their cities very nicely.  I assume the property taxes are quite high.  And by doing so they kept people from wanting to move out.  Homes are maintained and remodeled.  They likely aren't rented out and left untouched.  Drive from Hopkins to Minnetonka and you can tell without a sign you are in a different city.

Wealthy people want to move into those cities.  And wealthy hockey families obviously continue to move to Edina, because otherwise that city would be gentrified and there would be few kids.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Slap Shot wrote...

Ok then how does Edina do it?  A LOT of homes in Edina were built on smaller plots and decades ago yet they have zero problem maintaining their program.  Heck, even Minnetonka has a lot of homes built in the 70’s.

Have you been to Edina? I'm being very serious because this comment makes it seem like you have no clue about the community.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Chill Kessel wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

Have you been to Edina? I’m being very serious because this comment makes it seem like you have no clue about the community.

Used to live there Nonchill.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1553404775277793280

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10472
Post on old board: 21741

Received an email from The X and the MSHSL today, time to renew AA tourney tickets. ? 

Oct 7 deadline....for those curious.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator and Slap Shot reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Received an email from The X and the MSHSL today, time to renew AA tourney tickets. ? 

Oct 7 deadline....for those curious.

Same... already paid, so I didn't delay and forget... lol!!!

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 261

Posted by: @bertogliat

These aren't exactly first tier suburbs.  Why can't they field teams?  Are these cities gentrifying?

I don't get it either. Aren't they large schools? Towns with 7,000 people have JV and Varsity teams.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

https://twitter.com/andoverhshockey/status/1591572918227828736?s=20&t=s8ccYifIlEIwwPVyc8t1Nw

Andover's top line was special last year. Cannot wait to watch them this season.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It's a shame to see Edina start 0-3. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

For what I have seen with the Apple Valley and Burnsville merge/co-op.  They are going by the name Apple Valley/Burnsville Eagles. All the home games besides 2 are being played at Apple Valley High School. So far, they have just played 1 game.  The Tuesday game was canceled cause of the snowstorm.   So, the youth levels go by the Firehawks nickname and high school are the Eagles?!?!?!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Looking like the perfect night to sit back a watch two high school hockey games on BSN.

Edina Holiday Classic:

Eden Prairie vs. Elk River @ 6pm

Grand Rapids vs. Edina @ 8:30

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7389

Posted by: @gator

Looking like the perfect night to sit back a watch two high school hockey games on BSN.

Edina Holiday Classic:

Great chance to watch Gopher commit Teddy Townsend as well as stud underclassman Mason Moe (no relation) on EP as well as Jackson Nevers on Edina. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

Edina Holiday Classic:

Grand Rapids vs. Edina game as been cancelled.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Just saw a tweet that St. Louis Park will now be playing Edina at 8:30 and still will be televised.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4599
Post on old board: 10695

I'm guessing Grand Rapids got stuck in the weather?

Good to hear that SLP was available and willing to jump in at the last moment.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Page 1 / 13