22.6 K Views
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

That doesn’t feel like a notable upgrade. 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

I think CB had The Michigan kid flipping and who knows about Koi

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3950
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @jwg

I bet the NIL money availability is a large upgrade.  Recruiting will be easier.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4610
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @bertogliat

I bet the NIL money availability is a large upgrade.  Recruiting will be easier.

I dont think either one of those things are true.  My guess is he got offered a lot of cash and took it.  They are throwing money at assistants.

This is not a good thing though...

edit: I forgot about the Phoenix Suns owner being their Phil Knight.  They will have the NIL cash but I dont see them ever being a top end school.  They will benefit from the lack of divisions now and we will definitely not. 

The time to leave was now but losing him to MSU is a bad look.  If the team doesn't improve next year in significant ways I think PJ will be donzo.

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @gopherguy06

sounds like Pretzlaff is a MSU lean now and Abasiri just decommitted after a USC visit this weekend. 

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

sounds like Pretzlaff is a MSU lean now and Abasiri just decommitted after a USC visit this weekend. 

I think its stupid if you're committed to be able to visit another campus?? 

IALTO

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 196

Posted by: @rodentsrulejr

The only group of people expected to be loyal are the fans in the current college environment.  Players move, coaches move, now even colleges move conferences.  Fans though are expected to always fill the stadiums and NIL coffers.  And the payoff for the fans is a 1 in 18 chance of winning a conference title (with all things being equal which they are not).  

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @rodentsrulejr

Why?  A regular student can change their mind why shouldn't an athlete be able to?

Chill Kessel and gator reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12634
Post on old board: 9626

Has anyone heard about this rumor or is this some sort of clickbait or parody site? Their site seems pretty legit.

https://clutchpoints.com/minnesota-football-rumored-to-be-paying-30000-for-qb-to-play-in-bowl-game

But Kramer reportedly wasn’t planning to stick around until the end of December, according to Erick Strack of Minnesotasportsfan.com. He has a house ready for him in Arizona, a fiancé ready to get married to, and an adult life to get underway.

Minnesota football coach PJ Fleck has reportedly helped Kramer make up his mind, by offering Cole some NIL money, reportedly as much as $30,000, to stick around for another month and quarterback Minnesota football vs Bowling Green on Dec 26.

An anonymous report is one thing, but there appears to be confirmation by Ryan Burns. Burns is the lead Minnesota football recruiting analyst and beat writer for 247Sports and he’s been a go-to guy in town for anything Gopher football-related for a decade. His cousin and podcasting partner is Derek Burns, who co-founded and co-operates Minnesota’s NIL collective, Dinkytown Athletes.

Ryan Burns confirmed in one of his replies to ‘EdenPrairieGopher' that Minnesota football is in fact paying Cole Kramer out of their NIL fund to stick around for the upcoming bowl game. Ryan doesn’t completely shut down the amount EPG reported ($30K) either, though he said, “My numbers are different from yours”.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 422

What was your favorite Jordan Guerad moment?  He committed last Sunday and just decommitted last night lol

magoose
(@magoose)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 248

I hate the portal concept, but at least push it beyond the bowl games if we have to have it.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @magoose

I hate the portal concept, but at least push it beyond the bowl games if we have to have it.

I'm guessing the issue is will that give them enough time to find another school before the next semester starts?

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

What was your favorite Trent Howland moment?  Played for IU last season, entered the portal, and committed to the Gophers recently.

Well guess what?  He has now decommitted and is going back to IU.  This is getting effing ridiculous

HandyNotDan reacted
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1236
Post on old board: 5215

I'm losing track of who is and isn't in a specific program and even more so I'm losing the ability to care a whole lot. It's not that I have any illusions  of "winning for alma mater" being the driving force, but this is now akin to picking up ringers for softball tournaments.

HandyNotDan reacted

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1138
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @chris83

I'm losing track of who is and isn't in a specific program and even more so I'm losing the ability to care a whole lot. It's not that I have any illusions  of "winning for alma mater" being the driving force, but this is now akin to picking up ringers for softball tournaments.

I am firmly in the camp of let me know who is on the team in August and I’ll go from there. Until then, it’s a full time job to keep track of. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Has anyone heard about this rumor or is this some sort of clickbait or parody site? Their site seems pretty legit.

https://clutchpoints.com/minnesota-football-rumored-to-be-paying-30000-for-qb-to-play-in-bowl-game

But Kramer reportedly wasn’t planning to stick around until the end of December, according to Erick Strack of Minnesotasportsfan.com. He has a house ready for him in Arizona, a fiancé ready to get married to, and an adult life to get underway.

Minnesota football coach PJ Fleck has reportedly helped Kramer make up his mind, by offering Cole some NIL money, reportedly as much as $30,000, to stick around for another month and quarterback Minnesota football vs Bowling Green on Dec 26.

An anonymous report is one thing, but there appears to be confirmation by Ryan Burns. Burns is the lead Minnesota football recruiting analyst and beat writer for 247Sports and he’s been a go-to guy in town for anything Gopher football-related for a decade. His cousin and podcasting partner is Derek Burns, who co-founded and co-operates Minnesota’s NIL collective, Dinkytown Athletes.

Ryan Burns confirmed in one of his replies to ‘EdenPrairieGopher' that Minnesota football is in fact paying Cole Kramer out of their NIL fund to stick around for the upcoming bowl game. Ryan doesn’t completely shut down the amount EPG reported ($30K) either, though he said, “My numbers are different from yours”.

The rumor popped up on ghole last week (after people were joking about it happening so I think it is a farce) but I highly doubt he got paid anything close to that.  First of all you can tell whoever the actual source is has no idea how an NIL works (PJ has zero control over it nor does the U of M that would be an NCAA violation even Harbaugh couldn't get out of) and second I don't think DTA has 30K to throw at a single player...I doubt they have 1/3rd of that to put towards Cole for one game. (they have money, a very good amount actually, but they don't give to 1 guy)  Plus, even if PJ did set it up...he wouldn't throw that money at Cole and risk ticking off the rest of the team.  Cole isn't good enough to make that a priority in a mediocre bowl game.

The rumor, even without all of the wrongness on NIL, hinges on the idea that Cole was not going to show up which maybe if Athan and Drew were still around I could see.  The second they left I would bet money he was all in to play.  He bleeds Maroon and Gold.  My un-educated opinion is the story actually went he called PJ after he heard the other 2 left and said he was willing to play and the money from DTA came after the fact as a thank you and as a wedding present.  

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @snowcool08

Posted by: @chris83

I am firmly in the camp of let me know who is on the team in August and I’ll go from there. Until then, it’s a full time job to keep track of. 

Until signing day just assume no one is committed...

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1238
Post on old board: 5547

Fleck just said on KFAN that the Gophers have not had a QB drafted in the NFL since 1972

Aloha!

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 6782

Funny fact...three Iowa QB's have been drafted in the last 12 years, with Nate Stanley to the Vikings as the last one.  Yes, none of them have been bonafide starters but they got drafted.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5657
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @gopher6

Fleck just said on KFAN that the Gophers have not had a QB drafted in the NFL since 1972

Was it Mitch Leidner or Adam Weber’s dad calling his son a first round draft pick?!?!?!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1298

Don't you mean former ESPN Analyst Todd McShay?

https://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/leidner-mcshay-year-later-2017/

“Last year specifically with Leidner, he had some flashing moments (the previous season), has the size and has some mobility. And I had conversations with people who had been around him and spoke of the work ethic and how much he loves the game,” McShay said via the Star Tribune. “There were a lot of positives and thoughts he could be an ascending player. Now, three weeks later when I finally sat down and watched tape of Mitch Leidner, I wound up giving him a fifth-round grade.”

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4438

Gophers held onto Koi Perich. Great news. 

edit: Ryan Day and Ohio State were in Esko, MN on Friday trying to flip him. 

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1737473840534397073?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1737473840534397073?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

Excellent news

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5657
Post on old board: 16243

Crying Ryan can pound sand. One of, if not the most overrated blue blood college football coach. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Great that we were able to hold off tOSU for Perich. He is a top 100 player and could be a big impact with Nubin leaving. 
https://twitter.com/TonyLiebert/status/1737479187642847560

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I was hoping the class rankings would be a tad higher by now.  We need NIL donors soon.  I need that Powerball win so I can donate to UMN NIL.  I have big plans for my yet-to-come fortune!

Travel

Buy/build custom cars

Restore a "This Old Home" quality home

Buy and renovate local hockey arena

Support Gopher program through NIL

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2614
Post on old board: 15478

I checked out his X link. If he is the one running this account, I can say that he doesn't suffer from a lack of confidence.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Don't sleep on this Nathan Roy kid.  Both Perich and Roy were 4 star Rivals recruits and both had impressive list of offers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/nathan-roy-291488?view=pv

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It's real, as it is on my DirecTV guide as well... LOL

https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/status/1739027764039004336

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 409

🤣 😆 

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2002

Academics has no place in College Football.

Greyeagle reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @norm

The amount of Gopher fans who atrás willing to accept that type of statement is rising.  Anything to win...

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

RE: Academics

Wouldn’t it be great if a formula to include academic progress rate into the CFP to determine who qualifies — for example this year to sort out if FSU gets in or not.

Then use the academic progress rates EXCLUSIVELY to seed the teams.  Maybe then use this for seeding for all the post season tourneys. Kentucky plays Kansas first round of NCAA BB tourney — tough!

Maybe at lease an acknowledgement that these are COLLEGE sports.

You want to hear real crazy: A substantial percentage of NIL money (?25%) from each collective goes into one national collective pool.  Then distributed according to academic parameters.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

So If there isn’t enough teams to fill the bowls (and they are not going to cancel a bowl) what is your suggestion?  The team that sends the most scouts to steal signs?  Or???  (If you’re being facetious, it doesn’t show up)

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2002

Posted by: @composer

So If there isn’t enough teams to fill the bowls (and they are not going to cancel a bowl) what is your suggestion?  The team that sends the most scouts to steal signs?  Or???  (If you’re being facetious, it doesn’t show up)

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across real good online. Sorry if you took my post seriously.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

It’s gameday.  Woo.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It’s gameday.  Woo.

Can't wait to see how much improvement the extra 2 weeks of practice makes. 😎 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @frozen4champs

It’s gameday.  Woo.

Can't wait to see how much improvement the extra 2 weeks of practice makes. 😎

Don't forget, Both teams get the extra practice  Happy Wink  

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1751

Not a great start….

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Kelor
(@kelor)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 148
Post on old board: 5863

Any thought as to whether the University loses money playing this game? The travel expense must be ridiculous.  There has to be 100 people from Minnesota on the sideline alone.  From the sounds of it, there is a full band.    I'm also guessing Fleck has a bonus in his contract if he wins a bowl game.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7559

Tommy ops I mean Cole Kramer throws a TD pass.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3368
Post on old board: 30840

Offense drives down and scores. Darius Taylor is the best player on the field without question.

Gophers try some razzle dazzle on the extra point going for 2. Kesich took the direct snap and rolled left and tried to run it in. His butt hit short and there was no angle to see if the ball broke the plane of the endzone before he was down, so it is 7-6 Bowling Green.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

How can they not have an angle down the goal line (the most important part of the field)? 🤔 There is a good chance the ball was at the line (the ball just has to hit the front of the line) when his butt hits down.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5306
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @kelor

Any thought as to whether the University loses money playing this game? The travel expense must be ridiculous.  There has to be 100 people from Minnesota on the sideline alone.  From the sounds of it, there is a full band.    I'm also guessing Fleck has a bonus in his contract if he wins a bowl game.

Don't they have to buy a certain amount of tickets too for bowl games? They end up eating anything they do not sell? They will get money from other bowls that the league is in... But I think in this particular case, this bowl is a money losing proposition.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Kelor reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1238
Post on old board: 5547

Fleck terrible time management have used all their time outs with 9 minutes left in 1st half

Aloha!

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7066
Post on old board: 18942

Not a knock on Kramer, but 7 completions for 19 yards? 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4438

Posted by: @slap-shot

So, basically Athan. 😉

Kelor
(@kelor)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 148
Post on old board: 5863

Posted by: @slap-shot

The announcers just said that he's becoming a legend. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Two TD passes and one TD rushing for Kramer. All he does is produce TDs. 😊 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @kelor

Don't they have to buy a certain amount of tickets too for bowl games? They end up eating anything they do not sell? They will get money from other bowls that the league is in... But I think in this particular case, this bowl is a money losing proposition.

B1G bowl payouts are pooled together and split evenly….after schools are reimbursed for expenses.

Last year each school received about $60M in revenue from the league and about 11% of that is from bowl payouts.

Page 19 / 20