23.1 K Views
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4661
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1730263514932191640

Players have zero patience these days...good lord.  I hope he finds a good spot but I have a feeling his options will be severely limited.  He had potential but was always getting dinged up.  Definitely was not a #1 rb at this point.

You know what is annoying...we have like 8 players in the portal and that isn't even that big of a deal compared to some other schools.  Purdue and Indiana are in the middle teens for players leaving.  This is untenable.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1805
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

Well, the portal hasn't "opened" yet, so there will be more Gophers in there.  I think 21 last year?  I'd expect us to jump to a similar number in the mid-teens to low 20's.

Everyone wants immediate gratification and recognition.  So far, I'm not seeing anyone in the portal (speaking Gophers only) who is in it because the NIL opportunity is notable.

RB's should love it at MN.  

gator reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12653
Post on old board: 9626

I have seen an increased amount of activity regarding Dinkytown Athletes on social media in the last few days. They are certainly trying to increase the donations. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5719
Post on old board: 16243

Is there any rule to prevent programs recruiting players already playing elsewhere. Like Michigan goes after a player at Minnesota, saying enter the portal, we’ll give you a spot and play here.

Keep your stick on the ice...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

Is there any rule to prevent programs recruiting players already playing elsewhere. Like Michigan goes after a player at Minnesota, sayin

g enter the portal, we’ll give you a spot and play here.

Technically, coaches can not contact a player until they enter the portal. But, I'm guessing that advisors may put feelers out there.

If you’re sure you’re transferring, you’ll need to access the NCAA Transfer Portal. The NCAA Transfer Portal was first launched in the fall of 2018 and quickly became the one-stop spot for students and coaches. You’ll need to provide written notice to your college’s designated admin to access it. Without written notice, NCAA coaches aren’t allowed to contact you.  

Your college’s admin will sit with you to take personal information, like your phone number. If you want to be proactive in your school search and reach out to coaches yourself, you can request that coaches don’t contact you. This is perfect if you already have a program in mind. Of course, you can also allow coaches to contact you if don’t have your heart set on a specific program. This options is great for student-athletes who don’t have a program in mind and want to see what’s out there. The transfer portal has been an excellent resource for coaches who need players

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @idontknow

@bert 

He will end up at somewhere like Notre Dame.  We don't have the $$$ for a transfer like that.

It is worth a shot

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Is there any rule to prevent programs recruiting players already playing elsewhere. Like Michigan goes after a player at Minnesota, sayin

Technically, coaches can not contact a player until they enter the portal. But, I'm guessing that advisors may put feelers out there.

If you’re sure you’re transferring, you’ll need to access the NCAA Transfer Portal. The NCAA Transfer Portal was first launched in the fall of 2018 and quickly became the one-stop spot for students and coaches. You’ll need to provide written notice to your college’s designated admin to access it. Without written notice, NCAA coaches aren’t allowed to contact you.  

Your college’s admin will sit with you to take personal information, like your phone number. If you want to be proactive in your school search and reach out to coaches yourself, you can request that coaches don’t contact you. This is perfect if you already have a program in mind. Of course, you can also allow coaches to contact you if don’t have your heart set on a specific program. This options is great for student-athletes who don’t have a program in mind and want to see what’s out there. The transfer portal has been an excellent resource for coaches who need players

Can Coaches contact the Advisors

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @bert

Can Coaches contact the Advisors

Per NCAA rules, NO, if they have not entered the portal. Does it happen?  I'm sure it has.

Ways Impermissible Contact is Initiated

• Trainers/handlers/agents

• NCAA coaches reach out to trainers/handlers/agents to see if a student-athlete is interested in transferring.

• Trainers/handlers/agents also reach out to NCAA coaches to see if they have a “spot” for a student-athlete.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

In fairness they could’ve actually played him before the Michigan game more, idk exactly when he got hurt though I guess it could’ve coincided with that timeframe.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

He gets hurt a lot...

He is not a Big Ten every down guy yet.  Maybe could have been but now likely will be either a spot player on a P4 team or maybe move duran and play. 

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1313

I have seen an increased amount of activity regarding Dinkytown Athletes on social media in the last few days. They are certainly trying to increase the donations. 

Part of the reason you're seeing the increased activity on social media is to show the fans who are supporting NIL that they are making an impact. Those who want to support NIL will continue to make that kind of impact and it's fine for those that don't, but Minnesota has a significant number of fans that can make the Gophers a top 30 program in NIL.

It certainly takes motivated rich individuals to fund a $13M/year NIL program like Ohio State's head ball coach Ryan Day has suggested is going to be the norm for top 10 to 15 teams... but there aren't going to be a large number of programs making that kind of commitment. There is something in the middle that can keep Minnesota competitive and provide great experiences for the student athletes and fans.

I don't think it's insignificant that Justen Close, Rhett Pitlick, and Jimmy Snuggerud are part of Dinkytown Athletes -- it's going to matter at some point in hockey to have some sort of program there if Minnesota wants to continue being a top program. While AK and Evans are on the way out, it's more complicated for those two than just NIL. You also see guys like Nubin who came back and Jah Joyner, Anthony Smith and Devin Eastern sticking around. Those are exciting things for DA that show it helps.

HandyNotDan reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5719
Post on old board: 16243

I saw a tweet the Gophers were projected to play Jerry Kill's New Mexico State team in the bowl. Though I looked at 4-5 other projections on the net and none of them had the Gophers playing New Mexico State. And hardly any of those sites had us playing the same team.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3405
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @bert

Posted by: @idontknow

@bert 

He will end up at somewhere like Notre Dame.  We don't have the $$$ for a transfer like that.

It is worth a shot

I'd rather have Dante Moore.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1805
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

The Kill bowl dream is just that, a dream. It would mean the Gophers don’t play in a B1G bowl. 

Kelor
(@kelor)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 148
Post on old board: 5863

It's probably not nice to say, but we could have had Kalen DeBoer for a song.  He WANTED to come to Mn.  He just turned a POS Huskies team into the Pac12 champions in just 2 years.   

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

dxmnkd316 and Chris83 reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7120
Post on old board: 18942

Gophers have lost an OL commit from FL.  No idea where he ranked.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Since Phil and Co narrowly missed out in the final four, I am waiting on the edge of my seat for which bowl game they get in... ? 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Is there a reason you feel the need to call him Phil?  The people who do that on Gopherhole think they are being clever but it just makes them sound like rubes...

(not saying you are a rube)

Slap Shot and dxmnkd316 reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7603

He has stated earlier he doesn't like PJ. People often don't call people the name they want when they don't like them.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

He has stated earlier he doesn't like PJ. People often don't call people the name they want when they don't like them.

Ah.  Well he sure showed him then 😉

I am not PJs biggest fan (I dont like his personality but cant argue his results) but the issue is I am not sure who they can get to coach here that will be better.  Looking at the coaches most of our fellow non-helmet schools are hiring doesn't leave me very impressed.  I don't think now is the time to start from scratch again especially when the basketball team will be doing the same thing likely.  Next year is the make or break though...

Slap Shot, dxmnkd316, MikeEruzione11 and 1 people reacted

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @handyman

Ah.  Well he sure showed him then 😉

I am not PJs biggest fan (I dont like his personality but cant argue his results) but the issue is I am not sure who they can get to coach here that will be better.  Looking at the coaches most of our fellow non-helmet schools are hiring doesn't leave me very impressed.  I don't think now is the time to start from scratch again especially when the basketball team will be doing the same thing likely.  Next year is the make or break though...

Why would you think this after all changing coaches every 5 years for the last 50 years has worked great? ? 11 head coaches (10 if you don't count Horton who replaced Brewster for half of a season) since 1972 - 51 years.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Is there a reason you feel the need to call him Phil?  The people who do that on Gopherhole think they are being clever but it just makes them sound like rubes...

(not saying you are a rube)

As stated by someone, I'm not a fan of PJ ( see I can say it ) for a variety of reasons. I know by saying Phil, it will agitate the PJ supporters. (like saying Whioux, DUHluth, or Kato agitates those fans) If he would cut out the snake oil salesman routine and simply coach the team I would be ok with him. I know the success of the football team helps the overall athletic budget, so I do root for the teams success. Plus, I know firing PJ is not the answer, so I will have to put up with him for a while longer. 

Not sure if that makes me a rube or not. I'm more of a smartass than a rube on the subject of Philip John Fleck. I will try to be better. ? 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The era of head coaches just being coaches is over. Even old timer Nick Saban does many TV commercials now. Whether we like it or not the new type of head coach appeals to players and college athletics is about recruiting. More games are won in recruiting then on the field. This is especially important at a school like the U where you are always fighting to get to a higher level of recognition.

I agree the new Big Ten is going to be rough for teams not named Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Washington, and Oregon. And some of them are going to have it tough at times too after all Penn State's fan base is already getting really critical of their head coach because of his lack of success against Michigan and Ohio State.

Fans love to criticize the starting QB and the head coach yet often times they aren't the problem and/or replacing them does nothing.

Don't people get tired of criticizing the same thing? Why not find something to be positive about? Isn't sports suppose to be fun so why not find a way to have fun with it and accept our teams for what they are? I realize it sucks to not win championships but it is what it is.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

I think the issue is more the direction of the program, in part due to the reasons you mention re college football. It’s just tough seeing this team beat a top ranked team in 2019 and barely miss the big ten championship with a disaster of a final game, only to trend downward for 4 years and no signs that next year will be better. I think most can accept some down years if you have another 2019-like season but currently theres no reason to think that isn’t the peak that won’t be reached again. 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1182
Post on old board: 6069

Bowling Green vs Minnesota. Quick Lane Bowl. Detroit, Michigan. Dec 26 at 1pm. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1246
Post on old board: 5547

Last time Gophers played Bowling Green they lost to Bowling Green at the bank

Aloha!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @trixr4kids

I think the issue is more the direction of the program, in part due to the reasons you mention re college football. It’s just tough seeing this team beat a top ranked team in 2019 and barely miss the big ten championship with a disaster of a final game, only to trend downward for 4 years and no signs that next year will be better. I think most can accept some down years if you have another 2019-like season but currently theres no reason to think that isn’t the peak that won’t be reached again. 

I totally understand what you are saying but what is going to be different this time then the last 50 years of changing coaches every 5 years? That clearly hasn't worked.

If we face facts this season is what we ARE (2019 was a special season that isn't going to happen very often no matter who the coach is) and likely what we WILL be for the foreseeable future. Changing coaches every five years doesn't help.

I wish this wasn't the case but it is what it is.

BTW, a key reason the Gophers were good in the 1960s was some of the SEC coaches from teams that didn't allow black players helped recommend Minnesota to them because they didn't want to face them when some southern teams started allowing them on their teams.

Maybe with global warming Minnesota will become one of the better places to live in the future causing the Gophers to become a college football power again but unfortunately a lot of us wouldn't be around to see it if it happens.

trixR4kids reacted

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

I totally understand what you are saying but what is going to be different this time then the last 50 years of changing coaches every 5 years? That clearly hasn't worked.

If we face facts this season is what we ARE (2019 was a special season that isn't going to happen very often no matter who the coach is) and likely what we WILL be for the foreseeable future. Changing coaches every five years doesn't help.

On that point we agree, I’ve been pretty clear that I think the problems that affect the entire athletic department run deeper than one coach. It’s why I bring up basketball and the fact that Tubby Smith couldn’t even get much momentum going (and in fairness he’s a bit overrated as a coach but you’d think someone like him theoretically should’ve been able to keep top recruits in state). There’s a number of issues that make recruiting top football talent here difficult and it almost seems like the program is getting worse on that front. I don’t have the answers on how to fix it but it clearly goes above the coaches.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

On that point we agree, I’ve been pretty clear that I think the problems that affect the entire athletic department run deeper than one coach. It’s why I bring up basketball and the fact that Tubby Smith couldn’t even get much momentum going (and in fairness he’s a bit overrated as a coach but you’d think someone like him theoretically should’ve been able to keep top recruits in state). There’s a number of issues that make recruiting top football talent here difficult and it almost seems like the program is getting worse on that front. I don’t have the answers on how to fix it but it clearly goes above the coaches.

Football and Basketball are clearly traditional powers (the haves) vs. non traditional powers (the have nots). The balance of power rarely changes because the traditional powers tradition feeds itself.

Every year the best players want to play for the teams they are use to seeing be the best and the best teams have the most money to support their program because of what they've done previously keeps  feeding the future hence the term helmet/brand school.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Gophers were 5-7 this season 3-6 in the Big Ten.

They lost to Michigan and Ohio State while going 3-4 against (Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State wins) and (Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern loses)

The seven games is our true competition. Yes I want a winning record against them and we have in recent years but this year we blew two games late (Northwestern and Illinois) unfortunately that happened.

Northwestern this season also beat Wisconsin, Purdue and Illinois and finished in 2nd place in the west. They had a good year. 

dxmnkd316 reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7320
Post on old board: 10120

IMG 8747

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10660
Post on old board: 21741

Wicked good news.

https://twitter.com/25DanielJackson/status/1731421736577421763?s=20

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trixR4kids reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7320
Post on old board: 10120

So players don’t come back to play for their college team, rather they come back to be a part of whatever collective is paying them? 
sad.  

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

Greyeagle reacted

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10660
Post on old board: 21741

Nice. It could be why Jackson is back. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1068
Post on old board: 29516

The Gophers were 5-7 this season 3-6 in the Big Ten.

They lost to Michigan and Ohio State while going 3-4 against (Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State wins) and (Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern loses)

The seven games is our true competition. Yes I want a winning record against them and we have in recent years but this year we blew two games late (Northwestern and Illinois) unfortunately that happened.

Northwestern this season also beat Wisconsin, Purdue and Illinois and finished in 2nd place in the west. They had a good year. 

bingo

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Nice pickup by the staff. 

https://twitter.com/ryanburnsmn/status/1731520021879247031?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

Very nice...word is he plans to go to Med School so that probably helped. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

snake oil salesman routine

This is such an insipid and baseless observation especially as time has passed.

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1068
Post on old board: 29516

Posted by: @slap-shot

man if snake oil is what he's selling, it must work. Because 9-win seasons at Minnesota are a rarity. He's had three. 

Unka Dimmy reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

Posted by: @slap-shot

man if snake oil is what he's selling, it must work. Because 9-win seasons at Minnesota are a rarity. He's had three. 

I'm such a hillbilly I had to look up what insipid means as we don't use those words out here in the sticks ( that is a joke )   Obviously there are many PJ supporters here, which is fine. I was on the Lucia train to the bitter end and took heat for it. As I said, I don't think they should fire him. By calling PJ a snake oil salesman, I was referring to his over the top personality, not that he was trying to do anything illegal etc. He has a very lightning rod personality, and either you like it or not. I'm in the "not" category. Maybe my attitude also comes from the fact I get excited for this team and then every year they blow a couple of winnable games. This year was a disaster. I realize that they may never be able to compete with Michigan, OSU and Penn St, but I would like for them to be at least competitive and not getting blown out like this year 89-13, and kicking the FG in the 4th quarter to simply avoid the shut out against OSU is embarrassing. He gets paid 6 million a year, and he deserves some heat. I hope this explains my views and now will kneel to the mercy of the court.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3405
Post on old board: 30840

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

With the new QB coming in and some key starters returning I’m hoping the situation isn’t as bleak as I originally thought. 

Greyeagle reacted
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

With the new QB coming in and some key starters returning I’m hoping the situation isn’t as bleak as I originally thought. 

If they can establish more of a passing rhythm with the new QB (in both halves) and not get decimated by running back injuries again, they should be able to keep defenses more honest and be slightly less predictable offensively.  Assuming they get back to playing competitive defense for 60 mins.. they could be plucky in the new look B1G.  

We know the formula... and not to go all Ryan Burns on the bit but he's right that Minnesota needs to be more complimentary with their special teams.. Please for the love of god find someone who can return kicks/punts at a D1 level.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Greyeagle reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

1. They need to be more creative on offense

2. While returning starters is great, they need more depth because injuries are a constant

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1182
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @youngeagle

If they can establish more of a passing rhythm with the new QB (in both halves) and not get decimated by running back injuries again, they should be able to keep defenses more honest and be slightly less predictable offensively.  Assuming they get back to playing competitive defense for 60 mins.. they could be plucky in the new look B1G.  

We know the formula... and not to go all Ryan Burns on the bit but he's right that Minnesota needs to be more complimentary with their special teams.. Please for the love of god find someone who can return kicks/punts at a D1 level.

I would say our punting is lacking as well. I know they found Crawford from Australia, but most of his good punts were because they fell far short and bounced. That may be a strategy, but it gives up field position big time when it goes wrong. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Posted by: @snowcool08

Posted by: @youngeagle

I would say our punting is lacking as well. I know they found Crawford from Australia, but most of his good punts were because they fell far short and bounced. That may be a strategy, but it gives up field position big time when it goes wrong. 

I would absolutely agree. The only part of our special teams that was solid was Dragan. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733961492465099004

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733961492465099004

that’s unfortunate. despite the struggles this season, he was usually good. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5222

Welp, there go some if not all of the recent top d recruits I’d bet. 

Page 18 / 20