454 Likes
14.9 K Views
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1259
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @gopheritall

Only 1 call for the WCHA? I remember when there was a large contingent on here crying over not playing WCHA teams enough. Glad to see those quieted down.

I like playing UND, my wife doesn't. I would love to see some eastern blue bloods on the schedule but also support playing Minnesota teams. It is good for the state of hockey. There are only so many spots so those will be years between getting the Bostons on the schedule. Let's just make the tournament every year and play them there. 🙂

Gophers will always play some of the other MN schools (every season) & the Fning Hawks occasionally! Less expensive travel costs + relationships between these coaches + tradition. And all the whining in the world won’t change this! ☝️

gopheritall reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4706
Post on old board: 10695

Of course they will, and should.  I just don't want it to be the same couple of teams

Every

Single

Year

Mix it up.  UND this year, St Thomas and Duluth next year, SCSU, the next year, back to UND, then BSU/Augustana, then UND/Kato.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 592

I’m so glad the Dairy Queen cup came and went, I get the inner “state of hockey” game or 2 every year but that’s enough, I’m all for playing teams that make the gophers better and I feel North Dakota does that. Especially playing young freshman in grand forks early in the season, I think it’s a good ice breaker to throw the boys into a hostile environment/rivalry and I seem to recall a lot of player interviews in recent years say they really get up for that weekend. As a fan I know I do too. I would also love to see more of either Boston and I agree Maine would be nice to see again. Their program seems to be getting it back together. I like CC and Denver getting mixed into things lately too.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12653
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

From my perspective, the strength of the B1G off sets the cupcakes that are on the schedule. I don't mind throwing in a couple of series vs Mercyhurst or Robert Morris as the games in the B1G are a grind. I don't want all cupcakes, but having a few feel good series is fine. I like Steve's idea of rotating through the Minnesota schools as well. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4706
Post on old board: 10695

I also understand that a lot of these will need to be at least 2 year deals, to cover home/away games.  Maybe that means we play UND two years in a row, overlapping with SCSU for 2, which in turn overlaps with Duluth for 2.  I'm good with that.  That fits my overall "One or two weekends a year" feeling on how to deal with this.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4661
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Not watching the UND/Minnesota games is crazy lol. Are you even a fan at that point?

Yes, but please tell me more about how I am not.  Talk about being friggin arrogant.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

Let's remember that the potential opponent has to want to play the Gophers, too.  For as much as I would like to see Boston University or Boston College or even Maine or Providence come to Mariucci, they don't seem to have indicated any willingness or desire to do so.  Apart from UMass or Cornell, you don't see a ton of Hockey East or ECAC teams tripping over themselves to play schools west of Penn State.  They are spoiled-- most of their games are bus rides away, and a trip to Ann Arbor, Madison, or Dinkytown will be a huge travel cost for them. 

I bet you could convince the richer teams to do it...it isn't like it hasn't happened in the past.  Plus who said we as fans only want games at Mariucci?  I would go out to Maine any day over another trip to the hellhole that is Grand Forks.  I spent a year there one weekend and that was more than enough.

The problem is the U has always been convinced it is their job to make sure the other schools in the area are paying their bills.  That type of thinking was what killed the WCHA...

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Was it the 2003 season with the first 2 games were at UNH?  I remember being excited for that series.

As far as the difficulty of expanding your NC schedule including played eastern schools last year:

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BC played '@' Harvard and Notre Dame which I am guessing was a tournament of some sort
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • Denver hosted Yale and played @ASU
  • Michigan hosted Providence, played @SCSU and played @UMASS
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • MTU played 1 each @SLU and CLK
  • Vermont hosted UST
  • UMD hosted NMU and played @COR 
  • I assume many of these have/had return trips

I'm not saying it's easy but as I noted previously a lot of other programs have figured it out.  

2000-2001 the Gophers played at Maine I think.  IIRC Westy had a dang good weekend.  That might have been the games with all of the fog inside the arena.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Of course they will, and should.  I just don't want it to be the same couple of teams

Every

Single

Year

Mix it up.  UND this year, St Thomas and Duluth next year, SCSU, the next year, back to UND, then BSU/Augustana, then UND/Kato.

With the way SCSU is going...you might need to take them out of the rotation in a few years.  That school is in trouble.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7120
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @handyman

Was it the 2003 season with the first 2 games were at UNH?  I remember being excited for that series.

As far as the difficulty of expanding your NC schedule including played eastern schools last year:

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BC played '@' Harvard and Notre Dame which I am guessing was a tournament of some sort
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • Vermont hosted UST

I'm not saying it's easy but as I noted previously a lot of other programs have figured it out.  

2000-2001 the Gophers played at Maine I think.  IIRC Westy had a dang good weekend.  That might have been the games with all of the fog inside the arena.

I just looked. The Gophers lost 2 @Maine to start the '99-'00 season.  In '02-'03 the Gophers hosted OSU for 1 game Oct 12th and the next weekend played 2 @UNH getting a T and L. Gophers got their revenge in April. 😊 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10660
Post on old board: 21741

With the way SCSU is going...you might need to take them out of the rotation in a few years.  That school is in trouble.

SCSU in a death spiral...  

Completely off topic but it really seems in addition to NDSU schools like SDSU, U of South Dakota, and similar sized schools are attracting a lot more MN kids and that has to be impacting scsu.  I see a many kids of HS/college friends (as well as HS classmates of my kids) heading to mid-sized schools outside of MN.  When I was in HS I don't recall NDSU being as popular as it is now and the SD schools weren't even on my radar. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2399
Post on old board: 11850

Posted by: @greyeagle

Completely off topic but it really seems in addition to NDSU schools like SDSU, U of South Dakota, and similar sized schools are attracting a lot more MN kids and that has to be impacting scsu.  I see a many kids of HS/college friends (as well as HS classmates of my kids) heading to mid-sized schools outside of MN.  When I was in HS I don't recall NDSU being as popular as it is now and the SD schools weren't even on my radar. 

Continuing off topic but down here in the SE suburbs there is quite a pipeline to Iowa State.

ReplyQuote
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 320
Post on old board: 5728

If the Gophers played Denver or CC over MEA I'd be there so fast...  🤩 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • Vermont hosted UST

I just looked. The Gophers lost 2 @Maine to start the '99-'00 season.  In '02-'03 the Gophers hosted OSU for 1 game Oct 12th and the next weekend played 2 @UNH getting a T and L. Gophers got their revenge in April. 😊 

A lot of us were in a suite @bert set up for that Ohio State game.  Fun time even with Grant getting hurt.  Totally forgot they played at UNH that year thanks for the reminder!

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Well as St. Clown said on USCHO...they are way overcharging for credits too.  As someone who works in the system I can tell you this has been coming for a while...they have lost a lot of advantages they used to have and have not been proactive at all to try and fix things.  Parents aren't going to pay $20k a year to send their kids to a State School which is best known for drinking...this isn't the 1990s anymore.  

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 747

Every

Single

Year

I always enjoyed the Marriuci classic. Does anyone know if this will be back?

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

I think a trip to Maine would be a good road trip!!

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 845
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Every

Single

Year

I always enjoyed the Marriuci classic. Does anyone know if this will be back?

I believe that ship has sailed and is at the bottom of the ocean.  At least under the current administration/coaching staff.

ReplyQuote
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 198

https://twitter.com/FutureGophers/status/1790056362833056234

Welp, not exactly a surprise here.

ReplyQuote
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level

With the way SCSU is going...you might need to take them out of the rotation in a few years.

Gonna be honest even outside of SCSU's current woes. I don't see them as worth it as a non-con opponent. There are so many better options. Only in state opponent that should be consistent is UMD. Outside of that, the others honestly can kick rocks. You don't gain anything from playing them. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

ReplyQuote

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • Vermont hosted UST

A lot of us were in a suite @bert set up for that Ohio State game.  Fun time even with Grant getting hurt.  Totally forgot they played at UNH that year thanks for the reminder!

We were posting from a Suite on this page   What a bunch of dorks

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7492

With the Wood news becoming official and Yakesh on the move to Lindenwood, the roster is almost set. I believe we’re close to Koster and Nevers returning announcements, my bet is it will happen by the end of the week. 

BlueBandit24 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

With the Wood news becoming official and Yakesh on the move to Lindenwood, the roster is almost set. I believe we’re close to Koster and Nevers returning announcements, my bet is it will happen by the end of the week. 

That would be great! It’ll be nice to have the roster finalized. Won’t be necessarily as stellar as 2022-2023 team but this team will be deep, solid, and still has plenty of talent. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2262

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

That would be great! It’ll be nice to have the roster finalized. Won’t be necessarily as stellar as 2022-2023 team but this team will be deep, solid, and still has plenty of talent. 

i think they’ll be better personally. Losing Nelson and Brodz as well as Closer hurts, but your whole d core is getting better and you’ve probably added more high end scoring punch with Wood coupled with some young guys on both the front and back end who’ve shown they can score at a high clip. Think our team speed overall will look better next year as well.

Maybe I’ll be wrong but think they’ll have the ability to be similar to Denver next year with more ability for depth scoring across 4 lines than we’ve seen in quite some time and a top line that should be able to dominate coupled with a D core that can lock in when called upon

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
JDPuck04
(@jdpuck04)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 107

Did you guys miss me? 

Heres what I'm thinking 24-25 lineup-wise... Pre- Koster/Nevers news. 

LW                                     C                                    RW

Pitlick                                 Moore                             Snuggy

Wood                                 Huglen                            Lamb

Kurth                                 Clark                               Ziemer

Hendrickson                       Falloon                             Pahlsson

*Ex/Scratch: Mittelstadt

LD                                    RD

Thomas                             Rinzel

(KOSTER) Mittelstadt          Chesley

(Mittelstadt) Whipple           Gruba

*Ex/Scratch: Rud, Begley

HOLY SH*T DEPTH. 

D: I'm all about Koster coming back to play LD with Chesley on the second pair. Forces Mittelstadt down to third pair (we are so deep - this helps with size and offensive D/defensive D combos). Mittelstadt plays RD typically, but offhand. Would like to see him skate LD next to Gruba (what a third pairing!). Rud fills in if there is an injury and then Mittelstadt can shift to RD (where he has typically played) if there is an injury on the really set RD column. Whipple is a question mark on LD if Koster comes back. Might benefit from a year of USHL and I don't see Bob bringing him in to eat scratches. Fine with him on campus early to compete with Rud for third pair LD, but only in the event Koster leaves. Rather not see Begley on the ice if all goes right. 

F: I'm kind of hoping Nevers moves on... I may be in the minority. Love the kid's commitment to the program, but I'd rather see fresh blood with the younger forwards/the scratch guys of Pino/Strobel leaving. The size/skill combo coming in + Wood makes me want to see what Kurth/Hendrickson can do before another year of Nevers. Fourth line is the deepest skillwise we have had in years (or...ever?) - but who plays C is a huge guess. They all have - but not a bad problem at all. Ziemer is my unknown as he was great at the NTDP, but Lamb earned second line minutes and Pahlsson tore up the USHL in a way that he will compete for 3L minutes as a more physically mature/older player. Falloon plays great on the fourth line wherever he gets ice. *This also assumes rumors of Moore shifting to wing are overblown and the most exciting line from last year reunites, with Wood being the scorer on line two (YIKES). 

Above roster accounts for 21 players. We typically field a roster of 22-23. With Yakesh supposedly heading to Lindenwood - this leaves room for Koster, Nevers, or an unknown depth add at F (a la Nick Michel last year). I doubt we see Nevers 2.0 or Javon Moore get the call without more USHL time, but Teddy Townsend could join the squad to form a past EP captain duo with J. Mittelstadt fighting for fourth line minutes?

Goalies are easy - Airey and Souliere. Wiese a third?

Is it October yet? Hey, drop the puck!

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7492

@jdpuck04 

I like the thoughts! A couple things:

I think Whipple being taken so high in the USHL draft signifies he’ll be playing in Sioux Falls this year, which in turn hints strongly at Koster returning.

Also it’s been debated on here but I’d love to have Nevers back as long as it’s in a bottom 6 role. Don’t need Nevers over guys like Lamb, Kurth or even Ziemer imo.

Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Posted by: @jdpuck04

Did you guys miss me? 

Pitlick                                 Moore                             Snuggy

Kurth                                 Clark                               Ziemer

HOLY SH*T DEPTH. 

D: I'm all about Koster coming back to play LD with Chesley on the second pair. Forces Mittelstadt down to third pair (we are so deep - this helps with size and offensive D/defensive D combos). Mittelstadt plays RD typically, but offhand. Would like to see him skate LD next to Gruba (what a third pairing!). Rud fills in if there is an injury and then Mittelstadt can shift to RD (where he has typically played) if there is an injury on the really set RD column. Whipple is a question mark on LD if Koster comes back. Might benefit from a year of USHL and I don't see Bob bringing him in to eat scratches. Fine with him on campus early to compete with Rud for third pair LD, but only in the event Koster leaves. Rather not see Begley on the ice if all goes right. 

F: I'm kind of hoping Nevers moves on... I may be in the minority. Love the kid's commitment to the program, but I'd rather see fresh blood with the younger forwards/the scratch guys of Pino/Strobel leaving. The size/skill combo coming in + Wood makes me want to see what Kurth/Hendrickson can do before another year of Nevers. Fourth line is the deepest skillwise we have had in years (or...ever?) - but who plays C is a huge guess. They all have - but not a bad problem at all. Ziemer is my unknown as he was great at the NTDP, but Lamb earned second line minutes and Pahlsson tore up the USHL in a way that he will compete for 3L minutes as a more physically mature/older player. Falloon plays great on the fourth line wherever he gets ice. *This also assumes rumors of Moore shifting to wing are overblown and the most exciting line from last year reunites, with Wood being the scorer on line two (YIKES). 

Above roster accounts for 21 players. We typically field a roster of 22-23. With Yakesh supposedly heading to Lindenwood - this leaves room for Koster, Nevers, or an unknown depth add at F (a la Nick Michel last year). I doubt we see Nevers 2.0 or Javon Moore get the call without more USHL time, but Teddy Townsend could join the squad to form a past EP captain duo with J. Mittelstadt fighting for fourth line minutes?

If Nevers comes back it will go from the criticism line to the criticism Forward.  Some of it will be u -warranted, he’s just not as flashy.

The forward lineup above has all NHL draft picks in the top 9 and a 4th round pick on the 4th line (and potentially a 6th or 7th rounder with Pahlsson).  Falloon has scored goals at every level.

I think the top line will be the 1st rounders.  Wood/Moore/Snuggy.  Moore might get 50-60 🍎.

D core is all NHL talent in top 6 with Koster back.  

This forums favorite “Bonin” and I keep debating about BC on Gopherhole.  But the recruiting haul Motzko has put together is exceptional.

Don’t screw this up Airey.

ReplyQuote

Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level

Pahlsson tore up the USHL

Finally got a look at Pahlsson and Hendrickson in person when Dubuque visited Fargo this past weekend (Go Force, btw! Hopefully they finally break through this weekend and take home another Chip). They are fun to watch together, obviously you don't expect a 1 to 1 translation from USHL to DI but man if you can keep that connection between them and it clicks... Our bottom 6 could be a lot of fun! 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2262

Posted by: @boninthebear

Did you guys miss me? 

HOLY SH*T DEPTH. 

If Nevers comes back it will go from the criticism line to the criticism Forward.  Some of it will be u -warranted, he’s just not as flashy.

The forward lineup above has all NHL draft picks in the top 9 and a 4th round pick on the 4th line (and potentially a 6th or 7th rounder with Pahlsson).  Falloon has scored goals at every level.

I think the top line will be the 1st rounders.  Wood/Moore/Snuggy.  Moore might get 50-60 🍎.

D core is all NHL talent in top 6 with Koster back.  

This forums favorite “Bonin” and I keep debating about BC on Gopherhole.  But the recruiting haul Motzko has put together is exceptional.

Don’t screw this up Airey.

i assume you mean points regarding Moore. Even if you’re going with the 50 threshold, before the Cooley, Snuggy, Knies line that hasn’t been hit since 16-17 Sheehy with53  and before that it was Haula in 12-13 with 51. The last guy to hit 60 before Cooley was Potulny in 05-06. 

that 60 point threshold is really rare air now. Last year was more anomaly than norm as before the 6 this  year, it was 2,0,0,0,0,1 hitting that threshold each year

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 371

Mason Nevers would be valuable coming back even if all he plays is on the penalty kill.  I thought we would see some point growth from Mason last season, from 23 points that he had in 2022-23 (10 goals and 13 assists) to 10-14 goals and 15-20 assists.  That obviously did not happen as his early season injury seemed to impact his play all season.  

I think the same thing happened to Mikey Koster.  I know he missed some games, but 2 goals and 12 assists in 33 games vs. 6-23-29 the previous season left a lot of expectations on the table.  The 14 points in 33 games was essentially the same output he had as a sophomore (and freshman).  

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7120
Post on old board: 18942

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Well duh ha! 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1068
Post on old board: 29516

Do we have any inkling on home/away for this year beyond what's on the GPL schedule?

We're trying to get our orchestra tickets on order but it's pretty difficult when the stupid athletic department won't even say home/away until like a month before the damn season (for reference: the twins release their schedule almost a year ahead of time).

would be kind of nice to know to help plan ahead. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7320
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

Do we have any inkling on home/away for this year beyond what's on the GPL schedule?

We're trying to get our orchestra tickets on order but it's pretty difficult when the stupid athletic department won't even say home/away until like a month before the damn season (for reference: the twins release their schedule almost a year ahead of time).

would be kind of nice to know to help plan ahead. 

You will wait until August like the rest of us. 😂

edit: if we are lucky enough to get the schedule before September.  😬

ReplyQuote

Page 16 / 16