Woof.
Fudge!
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
yeah, Finland seemed to weather the storm and had that late push intensity that was hard to match, liked our chances though with 3 straight draws off the dot in 3x3 but couldn’t create a breakdown like they did. Disappointing for sure.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
Im if two minds with this. First, in such a short tournament, I don’t know how much coaching has an effect. The players either have it or they don’t. But then this team played as lackluster as the Gophers have looked this year, so maybe it’s the attitude of the coach that leads the team? Could go either way in my mind.
Im just wondering if there’s some sort of pacing issue, like coming out hot in the first and not having enough left in the tank for the last half a period or so. I think back to the Notre dame series last year.Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
Im if two minds with this. First, in such a short tournament, I don’t know how much coaching has an effect. The players either have it or they don’t. But then this team played as lackluster as the Gophers have looked this year, so maybe it’s the attitude of the coach that leads the team? Could go either way in my mind.
The Bob haters will put in full force I’m sure. Finland is a good team and we weren’t the favorites this year but that really stinks for us to not even make the semis on our home turf. Didn’t get to watch any of it so I’d be curious to hear people’s opinions of the game.
Good team they’re up against, one and done tourney, our goalie wasn’t at his best and that’s how it goes. They have 14 draft picks and the all time series is in favor of Finland.
Lot of no shows/poor tourneys from high end draft picks for the US. Some Of that is these guys are grinding in college going in. Can’t be easy on a body to keep the gas up
Im just wondering if there’s some sort of pacing issue, like coming out hot in the first and not having enough left in the tank for the last half a period or so. I think back to the Notre dame series last year.Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
Im if two minds with this. First, in such a short tournament, I don’t know how much coaching has an effect. The players either have it or they don’t. But then this team played as lackluster as the Gophers have looked this year, so maybe it’s the attitude of the coach that leads the team? Could go either way in my mind.
Are you thinking that there’s more emphasis on winning the first 10 minutes and they struggle after that? I think pace throughout the game is mostly on the players. They have speed or they don’t. This team didn’t have a ton of speed.
I expected more Canadians to be at Mariucci when I got here. New Year's Eve was packed. I wonder if it was and they left for the bar after 1.
I mention it because it seems like something teams he coaches illustrate, not just this team but last year vs Notre dame and UMass comes to mind. Game 2 vs BC also comes to mind, idk admittedly these are anecdotes and this isn’t some comprehensive statistical study. The Q game also comes to mind though I think that was different in some regards.Im just wondering if there’s some sort of pacing issue, like coming out hot in the first and not having enough left in the tank for the last half a period or so. I think back to the Notre dame series last year.Not trying to pile on Bob but the team looked gassed at the end, seems like a trend I’ve noticed with his teams of late.
Im if two minds with this. First, in such a short tournament, I don’t know how much coaching has an effect. The players either have it or they don’t. But then this team played as lackluster as the Gophers have looked this year, so maybe it’s the attitude of the coach that leads the team? Could go either way in my mind.
Are you thinking that there’s more emphasis on winning the first 10 minutes and they struggle after that? I think pace throughout the game is mostly on the players. They have speed or they don’t. This team didn’t have a ton of speed.
I do think there was a talent issue for this team that isn’t on Motzko and Finland isn’t terrible by any means, I suppose it could be just that for this team idk.
Finland pinching their defense any chance they get and US has stopped forechecking. Let’s see if we can hold on the second half of the period.
This is one of those tournaments where the USA defense didn't make it easy for them to get out of their own end. At the WJSS Motzko said he wanted to see which of his defensemen could effectively break the puck out of their own end. I think leaving the WJC he was still waiting for defense that could consistently do that for them. Cole Hutson was the one player confident with the puck on his stick, eyes up and feet moving looking to make plays. It seemed like the rest of the options were a little nervy with the puck and looking for a simple play that often times didn't create anything.
That kind of play seemed to result in lines getting caught in situations where they had to defend too often, finally get out, just want to chip and change and there weren't enough positive shifts strung together. I think Chase Reid had nice moments for the USA, but he just doesn't have the experience to be confident.
Tough year for the WJC to be on home soil.
Anyone know where they list the attendance for the games? Curious how many were at the X tonight.
Anyone know where they list the attendance for the games? Curious how many were at the X tonight.
11,779 for US/FIN
5,250 for CAN/SVK
Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃
Yepreally?! Both the us and canada games Wednesday had more than that.
18,618 US/SWE
7,582 CAN/FIN
Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃
ooc who has the stats?
https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2026/wm20/schedule
Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃
Where did the other 2500 Canadians go that went to the game Wednesday?
It blows my mind the X wasn’t sold out tonight.
This game wasn’t part of any packages so that’s probably part of it. Idk why they kept giving USA 5:00 starts instead of 7 either but guessing it’s to maximize tv ratings.
This game wasn’t part of any packages so that’s probably part of it. Idk why they kept giving USA 5:00 starts instead of 7 either but guessing it’s to maximize tv ratings.
Because TSN was the main station - Canada got tv preference.
This game wasn’t part of any packages so that’s probably part of it. Idk why they kept giving USA 5:00 starts instead of 7 either but guessing it’s to maximize tv ratings.
Because TSN was the main station - Canada got tv preference.
ah didn’t know that. Thanks for the info. They’re pretty gleeful up north of the border about how tonight went.
ah didn’t know that. Thanks for the info. They’re pretty gleeful up north of the border about how tonight went.
Canadian TV runs the Juniors. Just look at the ads on the ice and boards. TSN pays the big bucks for it.
Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃
The Sleeman ad makes me thirsty.
The fire & pitchfork crowd wants Motzko fire as the Gophers coach for losing in the World Jrs.
The fire & pitchfork crowd wants Motzko fire as the Gophers coach for losing in the World Jrs.
Taking a break from twitter today because it’s relentless. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he and his staff certainly are not above criticism but to lay this all at his feet isn’t accurate. Goaltending was an issue and as Vegoe mentioned we didn’t have a ton on the backend as far as offensive talent. Unfortunate that this was the outcome on home soil. Really hope Bob can win the big one here before he leaves because first and foremost, Gopher hockey is long overdue, and second hopefully it would shut up some of the haters.
I didn't have a lot of confidence in this team, but hey, they won two straight gold medals and brought in a team this year that just wasn't as good. There was no Buium on this team and the goal tending wasn't sharp. That’s the way it goes.
Motzko has been a top recruiter and has had a great career. His resume as a head coach lacks the obvious accomplishment, but he wouldn't be the first "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" coach or player in sports. Woog was a pipe clank away from a national title and Lucia's first championship came on a lucky game-tying goal with an empty net and less than a minute on the clock.
That's sports.
Im a firm believer and supporter of Motzko. I feel for the guy. Especially since his son died. I feel lots of his coaching mojo went to the grave with his son. Same here, I want him to win the big one. He’s been successful at both SCSU and the ‘U’… just w/o a Nat’l Championship. And if Motzko was on the open market there would be 40 plus D1 programs calling him.
I would put most of these ‘doom and gloom’ and anti Motzko fans on the same level as current Indiana football fans. No where to be found when the team is loosing or struggling. Though when the team is wining, they are at all the big games to be seen. And they will turn on Cignetti the second team starts treading backwards or has a season or two of avg seasons (according to Cignetti standards).
Lucia's first championship came on a lucky
Selectively blind refs giveth, and selectively blind refs taketh away. I still can’t believe Hauser’s luck on the non-call in OT. Unfortunate that Cooley had to pay off the karmic debt.
I still can’t believe Hauser’s luck on the non-call in OT. Unfortunate that Cooley had to pay off the karmic debt.
If you didn't believe in Karma, this might change your mind.
I wouldn't be surprised if Q's coaches watched enough film to realize the kid had a hard time controlling his emotions. If I were a coach during a big moment in a big game, I'd tell my player to keep his stick down but get in his grill. It was the Tom Cruise cross examination of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. All he had to do was get him upset and he did the rest.
Very surprised at how many tickets are still available for the Canada game tomorrow - the second level isn’t even open for the remaining games yet. Not looking good for making any money selling tickets. 😬
Very surprised at how many tickets are still available for the Canada game tomorrow - the second level isn’t even open for the remaining games yet. Not looking good for making any money selling tickets. 😬
Based on some of the comments on the socials, it appears a lot of Canadians didn’t want to travel to the US for reasons outside of sports. Idk how believable that is especially since socials are usually the loud small percentage, but there has to be a bit of truth to it.
Very surprised at how many tickets are still available for the Canada game tomorrow - the second level isn’t even open for the remaining games yet. Not looking good for making any money selling tickets. 😬
Based on some of the comments on the socials, it appears a lot of Canadians didn’t want to travel to the US for reasons outside of sports. Idk how believable that is especially since socials are usually the loud small percentage, but there has to be a bit of truth to it.
There is quite a bit of truth to it. Heard about similar stuff this summer with lack of border crossings for vacations and such.
When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.
Very surprised at how many tickets are still available for the Canada game tomorrow - the second level isn’t even open for the remaining games yet. Not looking good for making any money selling tickets. 😬
Based on some of the comments on the socials, it appears a lot of Canadians didn’t want to travel to the US for reasons outside of sports. Idk how believable that is especially since socials are usually the loud small percentage, but there has to be a bit of truth to it.
There is quite a bit of truth to it. Heard about similar stuff this summer with lack of border crossings for vacations and such.
Canadians are boycotting everything US in a major way. For example, American spirits are taking a major hit as they’re not even accepting shipments any more.
Correct.
When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.
Thee might be 2k in the arena for Finland/ Sweden. It's empty in here
A game played by 18 and 19 year old players from countries halfway across the world that very few people from Minnesota have ever heard of isn't a recipe for high attendance.
Nope, I sold the Canada game ticket for like $40 and they actually have some fans here.
Yeah, everyone and their mother is dunking on MN for the “state of hockey” motto right now. It’s a lazy dig and ignores a lot of legitimate factors as to why there’s no one there.
Exactly!!! Why is the state of Minnesota supposed to care about teams from Sweden and Finland?
This whole tournament has been a disaster for attendance. The ticket prices have been one thing. Even the marketing for months leading up wasn’t very good. They have to ask the question who are they targeting with any commercials or ads. If it’s the casual NHL fan, then you have to explain what the World Juniors is and why they should care. They marketed it as if everyone knew exactly what the tournament was. You can get away with that in Canada, but it’s a bit different here.
I am pretty embarrassed by the turnout. It is a Sunday afternoon and tickets are practically free and nobody from the State of Hockey can bother to show up for a medal round game.
There is no way that the IIHF should ever plan to come back to Minnesota with the World Juniors. What a miss on our part.
They weren’t practically free until many made other plans. As for tonight specifically, this is the end of winter break and personally there was no way I was keeping the kiddo up tonight.
Let me put it this way - This area obviously knows and loves hockey. Maybe instead of asking what is wrong with people for not going, ask what is wrong that is preventing people from going. There are a lot of decent answers, many of which lead to discussions not for this place.
I blame Bob! 😉I am pretty embarrassed by the turnout. It is a Sunday afternoon and tickets are practically free and nobody from the State of Hockey can bother to show up for a medal round game.
There is no way that the IIHF should ever plan to come back to Minnesota with the World Juniors. What a miss on our part.
In all seriousness if the US got through these numbers would be much higher and people like me would be there instead of watching football. At this point though it’s already a sunk cost and I don’t want to pay even more money to watch a game I don’t care about. I don’t typically watch the other games of this tourney on tv for far cheaper, especially on a Sunday. Meanwhile I’m like you guys and actually know that this tournament exists, the average person in this state doesn’t and this tourney is incredibly niche as is.
The US team just wasn’t that good this year, they lost the only two tough games they played, needed a comeback effort to beat Slovakia and looked incredibly dull against the Swiss. And despite that they drew pretty good crowds for how niche this tourney is and how expensive ticket packages were.
There should have been massive advertising at Wild games, Minnesota D1 college games and any college team with participating players. I agree it was not well publicized.
We viewed it as a once in a lifetime opportunity and of course overspent on a couple prelim games and the medal round, which we are currently attending as fans of hockey, especially since we have no shot at recouping our costs given the state of things.
I don’t think it’s fair to place blame on Minnesota for how this played out.
We’ve had fun.
For the current game, the Swedes and Finns are seated in adjacent sections, and have been yelling Sverige and Suomi back and forth which has been entertaining Glad we get some bonus hockey!
Ooc who are folks rooting for? Prob. cheering for the winner of this game overall. Anybody but Canada.
Better dead than red!
What an OT! The goalie is standing on his head.
Sweden takes a penalty so this could be curious.
“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”
― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rats! I don't like the shootout. I get it but I wish they could just play it out.
I would love for either Sweden or Finland to win it all but I will be surprised if anyone beats Canada.



