Gophers 2026 Off Se...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


[Closed] Gophers 2026 Off Season

1,568 Posts
111 Users
1291 Reactions
48.7 K Views
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
 

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

@gopher6 

 Those games against the Sioux were so hard fought. I remember their coach standing up on the players bench and yelling at the Gophers and/or the Referees for various problems. It was so funny,

 

Qogh

this series was 1st place Gophers vs last place Fighting Whioux it took all 3 games

 


Aloha!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 11:18 am
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

Ziemer named 2nd team All B1G

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/2034303963135107533


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 11:22 am
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

Take if for what it is worth...

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/2034310411198120197


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:00 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4082
Rep Pts: 12573
 

cant say i thought coyle had the stones (or bob would go along with it) but he best nail this hire and give them the resources they need to succeed. 

 

Will be curious to see how they do it and its Bob fully stepping away or moving into a new role


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:07 pm
Gophers_inGF
(@gophers_ingf)
Lucia Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 98
Rep Pts: 178
 

He will not be given the resources, no gm, and a penny of the rev sharing is a joke for the only men's team capable of winning a national championship 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:13 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

It’s happening 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:14 pm
Gopherpuck44
(@gopherpuck44)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 93
Rep Pts: 208
 

I’d have to imagine there is some sort of plan for Bob to stay involved given we got a commitment from Humphreys a few days ago.

I agree that Coyle has to land his top target or this is a mistake IMO. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:15 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

OMG!!! This is PERFECT!  

 

You guys just made my day!

Thank you

 

Carol


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:17 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

(If true ) I just hope people remember all of the good Bob did for this program, and not just what happened this year or in Tampa.


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:21 pm
Cowgirl, Steve MN, mnrouser and 5 people reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

(If true ) I just hope people remember all of the good Bob did for this program, and not just what happened this year or in Tampa.

I sat through those years with Cepis as our best player, I won’t forget what Bob did. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:23 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/2034319669482443159


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:24 pm
DC4MVP
(@dc4mvp)
Lucia Level
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 35
Rep Pts: 82
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/2034319669482443159

 

Fox 9 reporting he's out

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:26 pm



Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Fox9 sports desk also confirmed the change. Wonder who’s on the shortlist to replace Bob.


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:26 pm
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 240
Rep Pts: 1060
 

Well, to the unknown we go... 

A coach like Bob leaving makes me a bit queasy, unlike some that might be celebrating a bit right now. 

End of the day, he brought this program from the abyss that Lucia left it in, and the pipeline is bright even with what was a horrible year. 

Hopefully there's a longer view with this move, and that there's a succession plan in place. I don't want to go through what we did this past year, and then also have to watch the program flounder because we knee jerked the bit and left nothing in the cupboards. 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:27 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@boosker14 

 

I hope it's a pleasant surprise.

 

This year after last year when 6 players left and the tragic ending in Tampa, I can only imagine good things now.

 

QoGH


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 12:38 pm
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 240
Rep Pts: 1060
 

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

This year after last year when 6 players left and the tragic ending in Tampa, I can only imagine good things now.

We're going to be sitting here for the next month+ hoping this coaching change doesn't lead to more departures of key cogs in the machine. 

It's not always sunshine and rainbows on the other side. 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 1:19 pm
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 339
Rep Pts: 405
Post on old board: 9527
 

I have mixed feelings. This year was rough and in the wrong direction since that heartbreaking NC lost. One down year didn't justify a change, but I think fresh blood could help. 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 1:20 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

Fox News already posted that Bob is OUT.

 

I say keep the majority of the players if they want to stay, 

When Herbie took over it was 2 years and then the Championship in the Second year.

Don't give up!!!

I've been around for a long time and have seen this story too.

 

QoGH

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 1:23 pm
Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2260
Rep Pts: 6850
 

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

This year after last year when 6 players left and the tragic ending in Tampa, I can only imagine good things now.

We're going to be sitting here for the next month+ hoping this coaching change doesn't lead to more departures of key cogs in the machine. 

It's not always sunshine and rainbows on the other side. 

What if players wanted/accept this change? Let's not just assume that Motzko was beloved by each and every player.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 1:28 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4082
Rep Pts: 12573
 

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

This year after last year when 6 players left and the tragic ending in Tampa, I can only imagine good things now.

We're going to be sitting here for the next month+ hoping this coaching change doesn't lead to more departures of key cogs in the machine. 

It's not always sunshine and rainbows on the other side. 

What if players wanted/accept this change? Let's not just assume that Motzko was beloved by each and every player.

 

I would imagine this is part of why Bob is meeting with them today. Same thing happened with UND and only ones who left were ones who were already semi out the door and most stayed. I'm sure some guys are going to get pressed more on option of transferring, but I also can't say the performance of the roster is likely to look super appealing to other places who have similar resources to offer aside from a couple. 

I'm more interested to see what happens with the pipeline (Harper, Cullens, Conboy, Kvasnicka) than I am about the current roster outside of about 3 guys. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 1:38 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

(If true ) I just hope people remember all of the good Bob did for this program, and not just what happened this year or in Tampa.

I definitely will, that team was the best Gopher team I ever got to watch even if the ending was rough. We got to watch a lot of good hockey and talented players and he was instrumental in bringing them here and getting the program back on track.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 2:04 pm
dxmnkd316 reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

https://twitter.com/DanMyers/status/2034345606173302924


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 2:08 pm
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 1284
Rep Pts: 2224
 

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

https://twitter.com/DanMyers/status/2034345606173302924

Oh, not only No, but HELL NO!!!

 


Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 2:25 pm
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

Myers loves to hate on the Gophers but I do love when coaching changes are announced and he rolls out the #Juttswatch tag on tweeter!


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 2:28 pm



JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 160
Rep Pts: 489
 

While this has been speculated on this board for weeks now, I am still sad to see Motzko go.  Very personable and easy going guy with fans and alumni and made a difference at the U.  

As for what's next, nobody on this board will have a real clue until it's announced and all the speculation about Raboin and Barr has been going on for a long time.  

Having said that, I have to imagine that Nick Fohr as well as Greg Moore should get some consideration.  Both have a great track record with the USNDP and have had other successes and experiences as well (including GM).  The added benefit is, they probably have the best inside track on US born players for the next 4-5 years.


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 3:09 pm
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 240
Rep Pts: 1060
 

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

What if players wanted/accept this change? Let's not just assume that Motzko was beloved by each and every player.

It's a possibility, but until that portal window opens, we don't have a clue. 

I'm simply saying that until we know what the HC spot, the pipeline, and the roster look like after the dust settles, I don't see a reason to be getting super giddy about a successful coach leaving the program. 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 3:52 pm
upnorthkid reacted
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 133
Rep Pts: 563
 

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

What if players wanted/accept this change? Let's not just assume that Motzko was beloved by each and every player.

It's a possibility, but until that portal window opens, we don't have a clue. 

I'm simply saying that until we know what the HC spot, the pipeline, and the roster look like after the dust settles, I don't see a reason to be getting super giddy about a successful coach leaving the program. 

He was brought in to win a National Championship. He didn’t. It’s been 8 seasons and he’s 65. I like Bob, but it’s time for a new voice. This program will attract talent regardless.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:02 pm
Driftryder, gopherguy06, trixR4kids and 2 people reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
 

So how about Grant Potulny, Paul Martin,Steve Miller or Ben Gordon?


Aloha!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:18 pm
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:26 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@gopher6 

Paul Martin doesn't want the job ( I have connections)

Personally I don't want Steve Miller or Ben Gordon. (fruit of the poisonous tree) 

Perhaps Darby Hendrickson might be interested...

I hope the powers that be, do talk to Grant Potulny, he might be ready to do a great job here.

I am okay waiting till the decision is announced.

 

QoGH


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:27 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

What really helps is that they pushed the portal back to after the FF. We’ll have our coach by then and he would have had time to sit down and talk to all the players.

Normally the portal would be opening on Monday, which would have been chaotic.


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:33 pm
upnorthkid reacted
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

@gopher6 

Paul Martin doesn't want the job ( I have connections)

Personally I don't want Steve Miller or Ben Gordon. (fruit of the poisonous tree) 

Perhaps Darby Hendrickson might be interested...

I hope the powers that be, do talk to Grant Potulny, he might be ready to do a great job here.

I am okay waiting till the decision is announced.

 

QoGH

Darby didn’t finish his degree, which is a hard prerequisite for the job

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:36 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".

I don’t think any non-casual fan realistically expects a natty run every single season. We should absolutely be in contention every year though. That means a 1/2 seed in the tourney, which would logically follow from expecting B1G titles in this day and age with a strong B1G 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:38 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4082
Rep Pts: 12573
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".

I don’t think any non-casual fan realistically expects a natty run every single season. We should absolutely be in contention every year though. That means a 1/2 seed in the tourney, which would logically follow from expecting B1G titles in this day and age with a strong B1G 

 

you read this board far too regularly to say such a thing Grin

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:40 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:45 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".

I don’t think any non-casual fan realistically expects a natty run every single season. We should absolutely be in contention every year though. That means a 1/2 seed in the tourney, which would logically follow from expecting B1G titles in this day and age with a strong B1G

Look I'm ok with letting Bob go, but every blue blood program misses the tournament now and again or even occasionally makes it but with a middling team.  

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:46 pm



Coach Klein
(@coach-klein)
Wooger Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 64
Rep Pts: 324
 

I am appreciative of Bob and all he did. It was time for him to go.

 

regarding next coach. The one observation I have made across several decades of watching this stuff. 

the coach the fans get most excited about turn out horrible. 

the ones that Fans think are insanely bad hires are bad hires  

the best hires  come from the head scratchers, the ones that fans say “really, that guy?”  


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:47 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".

I don’t think any non-casual fan realistically expects a natty run every single season. We should absolutely be in contention every year though. That means a 1/2 seed in the tourney, which would logically follow from expecting B1G titles in this day and age with a strong B1G

Look I'm ok with letting Bob go, but every blue blood program misses the tournament now and again or even occasionally makes it but with a middling team.  

 

yes, but the goal should be contention every year, and at worst you miss the tourney by a few games in the high teen’s, low 20’s of the NPI.

this season we finished 39th in NPI; for comparison, when we steamrolled Canisius, they were 41st in the pairwise. as things stood before today it didn’t seem like we were gonna do much better next year either, without some developmental miracles by current/incoming players this offseason.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:55 pm
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 366
Rep Pts: 1236
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?

I'm ok with Rabs as HC. The assistants don't do much for me, I think we can do better. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:56 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Here is the thing that EVERY one of us needs to get over...a national championship CAN NOT be the realistic expectation on the coach and program every year.  There is too much parity in the landscape of college hockey and in a one and done tournament not a realistic view.  

 

The realistic expectation can be to win conference championships and qualify for the tournament every year.  I'll buy into that expectation very easily.  But come on people with the "we expect to contend for the natty each year" or "he didn't bring us the natty".

I don't disagree, in a vacuum it's kinda unrealistic to judge a coach (solely) based off the results of a one and done format and obviously they're not gonna win it every year. Michigan State has put together some excellent teams and got bounced early last year, this year they didn't even make it to the B1G final losing to a mediocre team. With Motzko my issue was more with how the Q game played out and the in game decisions that were made than the fact that they came up short. It'd be one thing if they got hot goalie'd in a title game or something, that'd be far more forgivable but it's not what happened and I think that's the unsaid part about "he didn't bring us a natty". 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:58 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4082
Rep Pts: 12573
 

Posted by: @coach-klein
↑

I am appreciative of Bob and all he did. It was time for him to go.

 

regarding next coach. The one observation I have made across several decades of watching this stuff. 

the coach the fans get most excited about turn out horrible. 

the ones that Fans think are insanely bad hires are bad hires  

the best hires  come from the head scratchers, the ones that fans say “really, that guy?”  

this got me thinking of Carle's ride to where he is now (and how wildly different all could be if not for a simple recruiting battle)

Deciding between Gwoz DU and Bob's SCSU. He decides DU but then gets diagnosed with hypertrophic CM and can't play, but DU honors his scholly. He hangs around for a couple years (still on scholarship) and decides to start basically coaching there his Jr year. Leaves to coach Jr and follows Montgomery back as an assistant and then was basically the odds on favorite once Montgomery headed back to the NHL

Sometimes the right coach is right there in your lap. Other times its not. But agree on the extremely bad ones, it's obvious even to the most casual fan. For all the other hires, most people have no idea who half the guys who interview are lol

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:59 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?

I'm ok with Rabs as HC. The assistants don't do much for me, I think we can do better. 

 

Gimme some names. I think you gotta keep Gordon for continuity. We got some good recruits in the pipeline that you don’t wanna lose. Martin becoming full time also I think would be beneficial from how the players talk about him.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:05 pm
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 366
Rep Pts: 1236
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?

I'm ok with Rabs as HC. The assistants don't do much for me, I think we can do better. 

 

Gimme some names. I think you gotta keep Gordon for continuity. We got some good recruits in the pipeline that you don’t wanna lose. Martin becoming full time also I think would be beneficial from how the players talk about him.

 

 

I don't know much about Gordon to be honest, he kinda just seems like the guy who's always been around. You never hear anything about him, I have no idea if he is a good recruiter or not. Maybe he's great and I'm sure there are others who could answer these questions, but to me he just seems kind of meh.

 

I'd rather get someone who's very connected to the USNDTP. Recruiting MN is a given, but having an in at the program would be huge. Look no further than bottom dweller MSU's turnaround.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:12 pm
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 160
Rep Pts: 489
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

What really helps is that they pushed the portal back to after the FF. We’ll have our coach by then and he would have had time to sit down and talk to all the players.

Normally the portal would be opening on Monday, which would have been chaotic.

Not that anything surprises me in this day and age, but I would be mildly surprised if a coach is named before the FF.  No school that is still playing will allow their coach to talk to anyone until they are done playing, and that might take out a couple on Coyle's lst (assuming he has one...).

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:17 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?

I'm ok with Rabs as HC. The assistants don't do much for me, I think we can do better. 

 

Gimme some names. I think you gotta keep Gordon for continuity. We got some good recruits in the pipeline that you don’t wanna lose. Martin becoming full time also I think would be beneficial from how the players talk about him.

 

 

I don't know much about Gordon to be honest, he kinda just seems like the guy who's always been around. You never hear anything about him, I have no idea if he is a good recruiter or not. Maybe he's great and I'm sure there are others who could answer these questions, but to me he just seems kind of meh.

 

I'd rather get someone who's very connected to the USNDTP. Recruiting MN is a given, but having an in at the program would be huge. Look no further than bottom dweller MSU's turnaround.

 

Would having an NTDP guy have its benefits after 2-3 years when all those guys are gone? Also it’s not like we’re short NTDP guys. Next year we could potentially roster a team with Hendrickson, Ziemer, Whipple, Humphreys, Mooney, Kvasnicka, Phillips, & Cullen while also having Geiger & McArthur committed.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:19 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

No school that is still playing will allow their coach to talk to anyone until they are done playing,

For a job as elite as Minnesota’s, there isn’t really anything that a school can do to prevent their head coach from dusting off the resume and discussing with their own network


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:20 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

What really helps is that they pushed the portal back to after the FF. We’ll have our coach by then and he would have had time to sit down and talk to all the players.

Normally the portal would be opening on Monday, which would have been chaotic.

Not that anything surprises me in this day and age, but I would be mildly surprised if a coach is named before the FF.  No school that is still playing will allow their coach to talk to anyone until they are done playing, and that might take out a couple on Coyle's lst (assuming he has one...).

 

I would be dumbfounded if a coach isn’t announced by the FF unless Augustana makes some Cinderella run to the FF. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:21 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Something to note: Raboin recruited Brady Ziemer to SCSU back in the day and Brodie to Minnesota before he left. He later got Brady to Augustana in the portal. He has a deep connection with the Ziemer family. 

Would go a long ways in keeping Z here.


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:24 pm



Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

HC Rabs

Asst Gordon

Asst Martin

GM Grant

 

Who says no?

I'm ok with Rabs as HC. The assistants don't do much for me, I think we can do better. 

 

Gimme some names. I think you gotta keep Gordon for continuity. We got some good recruits in the pipeline that you don’t wanna lose. Martin becoming full time also I think would be beneficial from how the players talk about him.

 

 

I don't know much about Gordon to be honest, he kinda just seems like the guy who's always been around. You never hear anything about him, I have no idea if he is a good recruiter or not. Maybe he's great and I'm sure there are others who could answer these questions, but to me he just seems kind of meh.

 

I'd rather get someone who's very connected to the USNDTP. Recruiting MN is a given, but having an in at the program would be huge. Look no further than bottom dweller MSU's turnaround.

 

Would having an NTDP guy have its benefits after 2-3 years when all those guys are gone? Also it’s not like we’re short NTDP guys. Next year we could potentially roster a team with Hendrickson, Ziemer, Whipple, Humphreys, Mooney, Kvasnicka, Phillips, & Cullen while also having Geiger & McArthur committed.

 

this is a good point and I’ll follow up by calling out that, if you look at the first year of Nightingale turning around MSU from the sick man of B1G into a bubble team, his big guns on that roster were their existing upperclassman stars. Aside from Stramel, Howard, Augustine, and Ryker Lee much of MSU’s big gets have come from other pipelines like Levshunov, who was a lucky USHL pickup, and obviously they’ve relied heavily on CHL talent this year.


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:25 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

What really helps is that they pushed the portal back to after the FF. We’ll have our coach by then and he would have had time to sit down and talk to all the players.

Normally the portal would be opening on Monday, which would have been chaotic.

Not that anything surprises me in this day and age, but I would be mildly surprised if a coach is named before the FF.  No school that is still playing will allow their coach to talk to anyone until they are done playing, and that might take out a couple on Coyle's lst (assuming he has one...).

 

I would be dumbfounded if a coach isn’t announced by the FF unless Augustana makes some Cinderella run to the FF. 

 

I think Augustana is mathematically eliminated now, they lost on Saturday 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 5:27 pm
Page 3 / 32

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad