Gophers 2026 Off Se...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


[Closed] Gophers 2026 Off Season

1,568 Posts
111 Users
1291 Reactions
48.6 K Views
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 634
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Augie loses. Now sitting at 16. Chance they could get back ahead of UMass or UConn if they lose their next game, but looking real questionable to dance. 

 

Amazing to think that the  most interesting thing in Gopher hockey this weekend is "Augstana Watch". Ugh!

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 14, 2026 6:36 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3795
Rep Pts: 11908
Post on old board: 10120
 

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

I totally agree. I think that BOB couldn't decide and so he gave out Captain letters to all "deserving"

players. Totally bad form. 

 

Bob needs a spine. Or please just LEAVE.

 

QoGH

 

I believe the players pick captains, not the coaches. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 14, 2026 7:07 pm
dxmnkd316 reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Replying to the GM talk from a couple days ago, Matt Cullen is a good name and all but are we sure a retired NHL player is gonna have the internal drive and passion to be in rinks all over the continent every day round the clock?

That’s why I feel a younger, recent grad makes sense. You can make the lack of connections argument which is valid, but no one had connections in the CHL til 12 months ago. It’s not like those can’t be made pretty quickly.


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 15, 2026 1:49 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Replying to the GM talk from a couple days ago, Matt Cullen is a good name and all but are we sure a retired NHL player is gonna have the internal drive and passion to be in rinks all over the continent every day round the clock?

That’s why I feel a younger, recent grad makes sense. You can make the lack of connections argument which is valid, but no one had connections in the CHL til 12 months ago. It’s not like those can’t be made pretty quickly.

On the first part, players go where they think there's a path to the NHL. The GM does not need to be the one directly scouting every single guy in person. There are so damn many national/international prospect camps now that it is not hard at all to bring these kids to you or be at the national ones if you don't have a coaching job. While I think you could employ someone who's a recent grad, I don't know if someone who hasn't played in the league or has any experience with scouting is going to make a ton of difference being present in Medicine Hat on the ground comparatively to being able to track down their HC/GM and talk to the kid or their agent. So much is just connections

Which is the 2nd part. UND had an advantage employing a guy who was a scout and GM in the USHL. You get to know coaches and scouts from all over that way and it's real easy to send a text and find out who they like on film. Those guys want players going to the next level as well, as it all feeds back to them. Same as there are a ton of coaches who had CHL connections, just the caliber of guy and timing of them coming down has changed. 

Either you've got boots on the ground bust your ass going to rinks or have enough name brand to have coaches/scouts/agents answer you back. The in person stuff is going to be more if you're seriously trying to court them. It's not that hard to see who's uncommitted on the lists nor seeing them play in person to know the Rucks are pretty damn good. 

I think this part of going to rinks all over comes into play for recruiting lower tier roster fillers of diamonds in the rough, but those are always going to be heavy MN leans for us and you can do that scouting locally and with local coach connections. Think that's why Cullen's name comes up because of his pedigree and he's chosen to get really involved in youth and HS hockey. There is zero evidence he'd want to do that, but if you could ever sell a guy on coming in, now is the time as he has 4-5 years to do it with his kids and then Joey being there (which I'm sure would be a pretty cool/unique selling it opportunity for him)

 

Very much could go either way, but I'm not aware of any recent former Gophers who have gone into scouting/coaching who may fit that role. 

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 15, 2026 2:06 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Replying to the GM talk from a couple days ago, Matt Cullen is a good name and all but are we sure a retired NHL player is gonna have the internal drive and passion to be in rinks all over the continent every day round the clock?

That’s why I feel a younger, recent grad makes sense. You can make the lack of connections argument which is valid, but no one had connections in the CHL til 12 months ago. It’s not like those can’t be made pretty quickly.

On the first part, players go where they think there's a path to the NHL. The GM does not need to be the one directly scouting every single guy in person. There are so damn many national/international prospect camps now that it is not hard at all to bring these kids to you or be at the national ones if you don't have a coaching job. While I think you could employ someone who's a recent grad, I don't know if someone who hasn't played in the league or has any experience with scouting is going to make a ton of difference being present in Medicine Hat on the ground comparatively to being able to track down their HC/GM and talk to the kid or their agent. So much is just connections

Which is the 2nd part. UND had an advantage employing a guy who was a scout and GM in the USHL. You get to know coaches and scouts from all over that way and it's real easy to send a text and find out who they like on film. Those guys want players going to the next level as well, as it all feeds back to them. Same as there are a ton of coaches who had CHL connections, just the caliber of guy and timing of them coming down has changed. 

Either you've got boots on the ground bust your ass going to rinks or have enough name brand to have coaches/scouts/agents answer you back. The in person stuff is going to be more if you're seriously trying to court them. It's not that hard to see who's uncommitted on the lists nor seeing them play in person to know the Rucks are pretty damn good. 

I think this part of going to rinks all over comes into play for recruiting lower tier roster fillers of diamonds in the rough, but those are always going to be heavy MN leans for us and you can do that scouting locally and with local coach connections. Think that's why Cullen's name comes up because of his pedigree and he's chosen to get really involved in youth and HS hockey. There is zero evidence he'd want to do that, but if you could ever sell a guy on coming in, now is the time as he has 4-5 years to do it with his kids and then Joey being there (which I'm sure would be a pretty cool/unique selling it opportunity for him)

 

Very much could go either way, but I'm not aware of any recent former Gophers who have gone into scouting/coaching who may fit that role. 

 

The cupboards are pretty bare in terms of Gopher alums in that field. Matt Denman is Asst. Director of Scouting for Cedar Rapids in the USHL. Wyatt Smith and Scott Bell are NHL scouts. Stu Bickel is an assistant coach in the AHL and obviously Grant Potulny is a head coach in that league as well.

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 15, 2026 5:12 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3600
Rep Pts: 9712
 

I think Ben Hankinson is a no-brainer. Not saying he’d do it, but if you aren’t at least giving him a call I’m not sure you know what you’re doing. 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 15, 2026 10:29 pm
trixR4kids reacted
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

McAlpine almost took the Asst job when Bell left, and I'm not sure what happened that he changed his mind, but I wonder if there is interest there yet. ( was there blowback from the hat incident years ago? ) I think he still works with as a player agent like Hank does so he still has interactions with players I would guess.


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 6:40 am
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

McAlpine almost took the Asst job when Bell left, and I'm not sure what happened that he changed his mind, but I wonder if there is interest there yet. ( was there blowback from the hat incident years ago? ) I think he still works with as a player agent like Hank does so he still has interactions with players I would guess.

Bell left the same year Don retired so that’s what happened there. Coaching staff turnover.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 7:06 am
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 514
Rep Pts: 1046
Post on old board: 8405
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Team stayed engaged and for each other all year. Doesn’t seem like a bunch of guys looking for greener pastures 

Let’s wait til the portal opens before we start saying this lol

 

I thought they can announce they are going to the portal now but just cannot "Talk" to any teams

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 7:28 am
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

McAlpine almost took the Asst job when Bell left, and I'm not sure what happened that he changed his mind, but I wonder if there is interest there yet. ( was there blowback from the hat incident years ago? ) I think he still works with as a player agent like Hank does so he still has interactions with players I would guess.

Bell left the same year Don retired so that’s what happened there. Coaching staff turnover.

 

But McAlpine was going to be hired by Bob and backed out or something happened.

Screenshot 20260316 085111 Chrome

 

 


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 8:56 am
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Pretty sure things came up due to him being an agent and they ran into compliance issues. Him and Hankinson would have some of those same issues today I would guess. 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 9:31 am
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Pretty sure things came up due to him being an agent and they ran into compliance issues. Him and Hankinson would have some of those same issues today I would guess. 

McAlpine had some compliance issues when he was at the UMN that I think just make it a tough fit in this era.

Woog famously gave him $500 in a hat to finish his education after the 1993-94 season and then he also had some run-ins with the police while on campus.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 11:08 am



Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Posted by: @eric-vegoe
↑

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Pretty sure things came up due to him being an agent and they ran into compliance issues. Him and Hankinson would have some of those same issues today I would guess. 

McAlpine had some compliance issues when he was at the UMN that I think just make it a tough fit in this era.

Woog famously gave him $500 in a hat to finish his education after the 1993-94 season and then he also had some run-ins with the police while on campus.

 

so nothing to do with him being an agent?

Then I’m all in on Ben Hankinson as GM. His connections would be priceless. Not sure his comp would be make it realistic though ha. 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 11:22 am
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 

@younggopherdiehard2 

The only complication would be you can't do both and being an agent pays pretty well.


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 11:33 am
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 1277
Rep Pts: 4001
Post on old board: 5631
 

I don't think there's any chance that Hankinson would take that job, but I would bet he knows someone who would be good at it. I would also think that he would love to be connected to that guy


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 12:09 pm
upnorthkid reacted
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Bonin Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 237
Rep Pts: 1014
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Replying to the GM talk from a couple days ago, Matt Cullen is a good name and all but are we sure a retired NHL player is gonna have the internal drive and passion to be in rinks all over the continent every day round the clock?

That’s why I feel a younger, recent grad makes sense. You can make the lack of connections argument which is valid, but no one had connections in the CHL til 12 months ago. It’s not like those can’t be made pretty quickly.

On the first part, players go where they think there's a path to the NHL. The GM does not need to be the one directly scouting every single guy in person. There are so damn many national/international prospect camps now that it is not hard at all to bring these kids to you or be at the national ones if you don't have a coaching job. While I think you could employ someone who's a recent grad, I don't know if someone who hasn't played in the league or has any experience with scouting is going to make a ton of difference being present in Medicine Hat on the ground comparatively to being able to track down their HC/GM and talk to the kid or their agent. So much is just connections

Which is the 2nd part. UND had an advantage employing a guy who was a scout and GM in the USHL. You get to know coaches and scouts from all over that way and it's real easy to send a text and find out who they like on film. Those guys want players going to the next level as well, as it all feeds back to them. Same as there are a ton of coaches who had CHL connections, just the caliber of guy and timing of them coming down has changed. 

Either you've got boots on the ground bust your ass going to rinks or have enough name brand to have coaches/scouts/agents answer you back. The in person stuff is going to be more if you're seriously trying to court them. It's not that hard to see who's uncommitted on the lists nor seeing them play in person to know the Rucks are pretty damn good. 

I think this part of going to rinks all over comes into play for recruiting lower tier roster fillers of diamonds in the rough, but those are always going to be heavy MN leans for us and you can do that scouting locally and with local coach connections. Think that's why Cullen's name comes up because of his pedigree and he's chosen to get really involved in youth and HS hockey. There is zero evidence he'd want to do that, but if you could ever sell a guy on coming in, now is the time as he has 4-5 years to do it with his kids and then Joey being there (which I'm sure would be a pretty cool/unique selling it opportunity for him)

 

Very much could go either way, but I'm not aware of any recent former Gophers who have gone into scouting/coaching who may fit that role. 

 

The cupboards are pretty bare in terms of Gopher alums in that field. Matt Denman is Asst. Director of Scouting for Cedar Rapids in the USHL. Wyatt Smith and Scott Bell are NHL scouts. Stu Bickel is an assistant coach in the AHL and obviously Grant Potulny is a head coach in that league as well.

 

Trent Klatt is the director of scouting for the Islanders. He follows the Gophers. Ken Gernander has scouted. 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 2:19 pm
upnorthkid reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+

Rombach C

Hendrickson A-

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A

Mooney A

J Mittelstadt B

L Mittelstadt A-

Thomas B+

Clark C+

McLaughlin D-

Moore A

Airey C

Wiese A+

Di Pasquo A-

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B

Gruba D+

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+

Moe A-


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 10:17 pm
TheBirdman reacted
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 408
Rep Pts: 1397
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+

Rombach C

Hendrickson A-

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A

Mooney A

J Mittelstadt B

L Mittelstadt A-

Thomas B+

Clark C+

McLaughlin D-

Moore A

Airey C

Wiese A+

Di Pasquo A-

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B

Gruba D+

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+

Moe A-

Agree with all except have Cal at a C-, a lot of turnovers for a senior D.  Relative to expectations he could be below Gruba.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 11:23 pm
TheBirdman reacted
streaky gopher
(@streakygopher)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1528
Rep Pts: 4743
Post on old board: 15478
 

Coach needs a grade, too.

What does the GPA work out to? It seems a bit too high for a team that had twice as many losses as wins. It should work out to about 1.5.

I would just about drop everyone by a full grade except Ziemer and the goal tender.


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 16, 2026 11:50 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Coach needs a grade, too.

What does the GPA work out to? It seems a bit too high for a team that had twice as many losses as wins. It should work out to about 1.5.

I would just about drop everyone by a full grade except Ziemer and the goal tender.

Motzko D

Miller F

Gordon C

Poderzay B+

Coaches bring down the mean that’s for sure.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 7:13 am
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 634
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+

Rombach C

Hendrickson A-

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A

Mooney A

J Mittelstadt B

L Mittelstadt A-

Thomas B+

Clark C+

McLaughlin D-

Moore A

Airey C

Wiese A+

Di Pasquo A-

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B

Gruba D+

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+

Moe A-

Agree with all except have Cal at a C-, a lot of turnovers for a senior D.  Relative to expectations he could be below Gruba.

 

 

IMO, Hendrickson seems more like a B --- I love watching him, but he needs to finish. Similarly, Moe - upside and great effort, but need results. 

 

To me the big mystery is Gruba --- his success at the USHL level just doesn't seem to have translated at all. Thoughts on that?

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 7:40 am
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 514
Rep Pts: 1046
Post on old board: 8405
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+

Rombach C

Hendrickson A-

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A

Mooney A

J Mittelstadt B

L Mittelstadt A-

Thomas B+

Clark C+

McLaughlin D-

Moore A

Airey C

Wiese A+

Di Pasquo A-

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B

Gruba D+

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+

Moe A-

Any reasons for certain grades?  

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 8:42 am
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Those grades look like a team that’s heading to the FF. They’re too high across the board 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 10:17 am
Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2260
Rep Pts: 6850
 

No kidding... that is one lenient grading scale!


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 10:18 am
gopher6 reacted



Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2260
Rep Pts: 6850
 

 I will take a stab at it:

 

Pritchard: C

Whipple: B+

Rombach: F

Hendrickson: C

Falloon: F

Ludtke: F

Rud: F

Lamb: A

Mooney: B

J. Mittelstadt: D

L Mittelstadt: A

Thomas: D-

Clark: F

McLaughlin: F

Moore: B+

Airey: F

Wiese: N/A

Luca: A-

Begley: F

Harris: N/A

Townsend: D

Gruba: F

Pahlsson: F

Ziemer: A

Moe: B-

 

 

Motzko: F

Miller: F

Gordon: F

Poderzay: B


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 10:32 am
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 190
Rep Pts: 700
 

Posted by: @thebirdman
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+

Rombach C

Hendrickson A-

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A

Mooney A

J Mittelstadt B

L Mittelstadt A-

Thomas B+

Clark C+

McLaughlin D-

Moore A

Airey C

Wiese A+

Di Pasquo A-

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B

Gruba D+

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+

Moe A-

Agree with all except have Cal at a C-, a lot of turnovers for a senior D.  Relative to expectations he could be below Gruba.

 

 

IMO, Hendrickson seems more like a B --- I love watching him, but he needs to finish. Similarly, Moe - upside and great effort, but need results. 

 

To me the big mystery is Gruba --- his success at the USHL level just doesn't seem to have translated at all. Thoughts on that?

 

TBF Moe is a true freshman who got mainly 4th line minutes and little PP time all year and still had more goals than Pahlsson, Clark and as many as Ludtke. Scored at North Dakota, at Wisconsin, against Penn State, Ohio State and when Lamb was out against Michigan State and he got to play with Mooney and Ziemer he scored a goal and assist. He should have an increased role next year and I think the results will follow. 

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 11:07 am
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Bonin Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 237
Rep Pts: 1014
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Those grades look like a team that’s heading to the FF. They’re too high across the board 

He did say to rate them based on expectations, as opposed to how well they played/contributed to team overall. I don't think anyone expected Falloon, for example, to turn into a goal scorer. So if you looked at the roster pre-season and expected a tough time making the NCAA's, a C average might be about right. (Although I would guess that even for people who predicted a tough year the team still under-performed that expectation.) But I do agree with Wiese's grade. How do you not give a guy with a season save percentage of 1.000 an A+?

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 12:13 pm
Johnny Five
(@johnny-five)
Wooger Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 112
Rep Pts: 352
 

Posted by: @bert
↑

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Team stayed engaged and for each other all year. Doesn’t seem like a bunch of guys looking for greener pastures 

Let’s wait til the portal opens before we start saying this lol

 

I thought they can announce they are going to the portal now but just cannot "Talk" to any teams

 

 

I thought it was only "grad transfers" allowed to announced until the portal opens on 4/13.  Could be wrong, however, but seems like that's been the case so far.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 12:22 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

If frost is gone I’d put it as very unlikely Bob goes unless he retires late. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 12:55 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@upnorthkid 

 

This made me really sad.  Now there is no way to get rid of BOB!!!

 

Displeased


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 12:57 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

If frost is gone I’d put it as very unlikely Bob goes unless he retires late. 

Why? I don’t really see the connection. If anything, Frost probably had more reason to feel secure in his job; the women are just one year removed from a Frozen Four, and they had a decent regular season this year. It’s not like both jobs would be drawing from the same pool of candidates.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 1:34 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

If frost is gone I’d put it as very unlikely Bob goes unless he retires late. 

Why? I don’t really see the connection. If anything, Frost probably had more reason to feel secure in his job; the women are just one year removed from a Frozen Four, and they had a decent regular season this year. It’s not like both jobs would be drawing from the same pool of candidates.

 timing. I don’t think Frost was gone if they went back to the FF so one would presume he’s done his full eval on women’s and that he would’ve done so with the men’s prior to this given the season has been over and you’d want to announce as soon as possible as you need to have your new coach well ahead of the portal opening

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 1:37 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Those grades look like a team that’s heading to the FF. They’re too high across the board 

He did say to rate them based on expectations, as opposed to how well they played/contributed to team overall. I don't think anyone expected Falloon, for example, to turn into a goal scorer. So if you looked at the roster pre-season and expected a tough time making the NCAA's, a C average might be about right. (Although I would guess that even for people who predicted a tough year the team still under-performed that expectation.) But I do agree with Wiese's grade. How do you not give a guy with a season save percentage of 1.000 an A+?

 

All good points, I don't really disagree with most of his grades other than the D3 players where you make a valid point. Thomas as a senior should've been a rock at the blue line instead of a liability so you can probably see how he got his grade. D- might be a bit harsh but at best he was like a C-. I was hoping guys like Pahlsson or Clark would improve, Hendricksen too but none of them really did as far as I could tell. IDK if I'd give Pahlsson an F because he at least could transition the puck unlike Ludtke when he had to play center (and didn't cause goals in 3 on 3 via turnovers) but I'd probably give him and Clark a D instead of an F. Ludtke and Gruba definitely deserve their F grades, unfortunate with the injury to Ludtke but he wasn't brought in to not contribute right away. I'd probably give Whipple an A- or an A too. 

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 1:41 pm
Old Tape Roll
(@old-tape-roll)
Lucia Level
Joined: 11 months ago
Posts: 24
Rep Pts: 179
 

Honestly this is almost comical now with Frost firing, so here’s some more satire. Maybe Coyle just appoints Bob to Frost’s old job. Then the ‘Bob can do no wrong’ crowd can go watch his team over there and the ‘Bob is horrible’ crowd gets their pound of flesh. That way everybody gets a trophy. 🤣🤣🤣


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 1:44 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1818
Rep Pts: 3583
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Here are my player grades for this season based on expectations going into the year. Let me know what you think.

Pritchard B

Whipple B+ - B

Rombach C - C-

Hendrickson A- B

Falloon C-

Ludtke C-

Rud D

Lamb A - A-

Mooney A  - B+

J Mittelstadt B - C

L Mittelstadt A- - B+

Thomas B+ - C

Clark C+ - C-

McLaughlin D-

Moore A - B+

Airey C

Wiese A+ - B

Di Pasquo A- - B+

Begley C

Harris B

Townsend B - C

Gruba D+ - C-

Pahlsson C-

Ziemer A+- A

Moe A- - B

 Adjusted based upon 11 game under .500 record 

Ziemer is the only player who earned an A rating 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 1:45 pm
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

I'm assuming Bob is staying and his coaching staff will remain the same.  I'm ok with that for another year.  What I really do not want happening is him looking at the roster and assuming that each player will make a leap from last year to next year.  Improvement is not guaranteed.  There needs to be some changes other than seniors leaving and new recruits coming in.  If stands pat with that, it sends the message to me at least that he's not viewing the team in the correct way.  Yes we did win some games against higher ranked opponents, but we were buoyed by our power play and goaltending while being horribly outplayed 5x5.  He cannot extrapolate those games to assume we will be more competitive next year.  Those other teams will not be getting any worse and we need to not just match them, but be better than them.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 3:18 pm



maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Those grades look like a team that’s heading to the FF. They’re too high across the board 

I said based on expectations. For example Javon Moore is not an A tier college hockey player but based on his relatively low expectations coming into the year an A grade seemed fitting. Rinse and repeat for a lot of the underclassmen. Hence why it may seem high.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 4:16 pm
fronesis
(@fronesis)
Lucia Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 17
Rep Pts: 92
 

Was this last season the second-worst in gopher history?

Looking at the list of records, it seems obvious that 71–72 was the worst: 8-24-0, .250 win%.

After that we have:
- Brooks lost 21 games in 76–77, but he won 17, .451 win%
- Woog lost 22 games in 97–98, but he also won 17, .436 win%
- This year's team was 11-22-3, .347 win%

I remember the 97-98 team as extremely mediocre, never going to go deep in the playoffs, but also not quite terrible. This team, of course, did win some very big games. And then they played a bunch of games where they looked more overmatched than I can ever remember. 

So I think I would vote for this season as the second-worst, but my first-hand knowledge only goes back to 93. What do others think?


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 4:35 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

It’s a top 5 worst season in program history. Where it falls inside that 5 is up for debate.

We’d be going back to the Sonmor days (late 60’s early 70’s) to find comparable seasons.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 5:03 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

Looking at the list of records, it seems obvious that 71–72 was the WORST: 8-24-0, .250 win%.

I agree, that year was my introduction to Gopher Hockey. They were terrible. 

And the coach was Glen Sonmor, who left to coach the Fighting Saints. So they got Ken Yackel to coach the rest of the season and then Herb Brooks took over in 1972.  

And in 1974 we got our first National Championship! With a bunch of lunch-pail guys! 

2025-2026 IS the second WORST year ever. 

I was really hoping that we could get a new coach for next year, but I don't think that is going to happen.

UGH

QoGH

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 5:13 pm
Norm reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

Looking at the list of records, it seems obvious that 71–72 was the WORST: 8-24-0, .250 win%.

I agree, that year was my introduction to Gopher Hockey. They were terrible. 

And the coach was Glen Sonmor, who left to coach the Fighting Saints. So they got Ken Yackel to coach the rest of the season and then Herb Brooks took over in 1972.  

And in 1974 we got our first National Championship! With a bunch of lunch-pail guys! 

2025-2026 IS the second WORST year ever. 

I was really hoping that we could get a new coach for next year, but I don't think that is going to happen.

UGH

QoGH

 

Hmm. I posted a couple weeks ago that 71-72 was my Freshman year at the U and I went to my first Gopher Hockey game that year. Despite the lousy season I was hooked. Had student season tickets for the next 3 years. I think they cost $6 per year. We went to Boston in 74 and watched them win their first Natty. Herbie was a genius.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 6:53 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @norm
↑

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

Looking at the list of records, it seems obvious that 71–72 was the WORST: 8-24-0, .250 win%.

I agree, that year was my introduction to Gopher Hockey. They were terrible. 

And the coach was Glen Sonmor, who left to coach the Fighting Saints. So they got Ken Yackel to coach the rest of the season and then Herb Brooks took over in 1972.  

And in 1974 we got our first National Championship! With a bunch of lunch-pail guys! 

2025-2026 IS the second WORST year ever. 

I was really hoping that we could get a new coach for next year, but I don't think that is going to happen.

UGH

QoGH

 

Hmm. I posted a couple weeks ago that 71-72 was my Freshman year at the U and I went to my first Gopher Hockey game that year. Despite the lousy season I was hooked. Had student season tickets for the next 3 years. I think they cost $6 per year. We went to Boston in 74 and watched them win their first Natty. Herbie was a genius.

 

how much did a beer at sterb’s cost back then

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 7:06 pm
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @norm
↑

Posted by: @queenofgopherhockey
↑

Looking at the list of records, it seems obvious that 71–72 was the WORST: 8-24-0, .250 win%.

I agree, that year was my introduction to Gopher Hockey. They were terrible. 

And the coach was Glen Sonmor, who left to coach the Fighting Saints. So they got Ken Yackel to coach the rest of the season and then Herb Brooks took over in 1972.  

And in 1974 we got our first National Championship! With a bunch of lunch-pail guys! 

2025-2026 IS the second WORST year ever. 

I was really hoping that we could get a new coach for next year, but I don't think that is going to happen.

UGH

QoGH

 

Hmm. I posted a couple weeks ago that 71-72 was my Freshman year at the U and I went to my first Gopher Hockey game that year. Despite the lousy season I was hooked. Had student season tickets for the next 3 years. I think they cost $6 per year. We went to Boston in 74 and watched them win their first Natty. Herbie was a genius.

 

how much did a beer at sterb’s cost back then

 

We always went to the Rathskeller in Dinkytown. I think a pitcher was $1.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 7:18 pm
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 

Speaking of prices, in 1974 the U put together a package of a FF ticket and airfare to Boston for $90. We decided that we couldn't afford not to go. We were on our own though for a hotel. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 17, 2026 8:04 pm
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@norm 

1971-1972 was my first season watching hockey and I transferred in as a Junior. 

My roomie and I got season passes for hockey & basketball (general Admission) for only $18!!! I still have the punch card!!!

Cheap entertainment for students.

 

The hockey was very entertaining and I knew NOTHING about the game. Got a kids book for Christmas and 

I learned all about it and started sharing with some of my girl friends.

That team was so bad, Jack Thompke was the captain and not very good at it.

There was a JV Team and I can't remember if they had games for them too? 

 

Ohhhhhhh the memories are coming back now. 

My favorite player was Bill Butters and he still is!!!

 

QoGH

 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 4:18 am
Norm, Slap Shot and gopher6 reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 

@queenofgopherhockey Were you there the night Bill Butters got checked over the boards and into the opponents bench? And while he was in there he got into a fight with the whole team. So many memories of the good old days! 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 10:32 am
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
 

I was at the last WCHA playoff series at old Mariucci arena Gophers beat The Fight Whioux in 3 game series, I remember how cold it was, after the final game we walked over to Sally’s for drinks, then after a few drinks I had to walk back to Mariucci to get my car it was so COLD!!!


Aloha!

 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 10:47 am
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@norm 

Yes, I was there with a date, who did not appreciate my vocalizations! 

And actually Bill and some guy on the other team (CC I think) got into it during the game, and Bill was tossed out 

but he had to walk off the ice through the other team! So as he approached the bench some guy from the other 

team spit on him and then Billy launched himself into the entire bench fists flying! WOW.  

Oh the memories! 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 11:02 am
trixR4kids reacted



Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

@gopher6 

 Those games against the Sioux were so hard fought. I remember their coach standing up on the players bench and yelling at the Gophers and/or the Referees for various problems. It was so funny,

 

Qogh


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 11:05 am
Queen of Gopher Hockey
(@queenofgopherhockey)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 108
 

Was anyone one on this board at the LAST game in the old arena?  

 

I thought they were going to have me carried out. I was crying and did not want to leave. 

I did get from the arena ushers the "EXIT" sign I sat behind in my row for years! 

I do like the new arena, but I do miss the times in the old one. 

 

QoGH

 


 
Posted : Wed. Mar 18, 2026 11:07 am
Page 2 / 32

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad