@mikeeruzione11 I can confirm the Ducks are pushing for him to go to Minnesota and he's considering it. Unfortunately, he's likely to be shut down for the season after an injury in the last game vs. Portland. Great player, only knock is the knack for untimely penalties.
Curious what the thought is for the ducks there. Their rights are set to expire this year, does that extend them? Even if they did I would assume he could pull the unenroll and become a free agent move (a la players like Mike Reilly did). Feels like basically a decision not to sign him from them.
Do signing rights extend from two to four years if players move to NCAA? Honestly not something I know and basic research did not yield a clear answer. Smith is a highly rated prospect in their system so I imagine they would have interest in signing him.
I'm pretty sure that the drafting team retains the players rights for as long as they stay in college. Not sure the protocol on what happens if a kid suddenly quits school. My guess is there's a certain time frame for kids to declare whether or not they plan on going to school for that season.
The last collective bargaining agreement standardized the length of rights. https://puckpedia.com/news/new-mou but that doesn't take effect until 2027. So, being that he was drafted in 2024, I think Anaheim has his rights until June 1st, 2026. So, if not signed by then, he'd reenter the 2026 Draft from what I understand.
That being said, if it's true that Anaheim is encouraging him to go to Minnesota, then we can only assume they don't plan on signing him by June 1, 2026. My source is reliable.
Maybe there's some talk..."go to the Gophers to develop further and we'll redraft you" ???...However, this is total speculation on my part.
@mikeeruzione11 I can confirm the Ducks are pushing for him to go to Minnesota and he's considering it. Unfortunately, he's likely to be shut down for the season after an injury in the last game vs. Portland. Great player, only knock is the knack for untimely penalties.
Curious what the thought is for the ducks there. Their rights are set to expire this year, does that extend them? Even if they did I would assume he could pull the unenroll and become a free agent move (a la players like Mike Reilly did). Feels like basically a decision not to sign him from them.
Do signing rights extend from two to four years if players move to NCAA? Honestly not something I know and basic research did not yield a clear answer. Smith is a highly rated prospect in their system so I imagine they would have interest in signing him.
I'm pretty sure that the drafting team retains the players rights for as long as they stay in college. Not sure the protocol on what happens if a kid suddenly quits school. My guess is there's a certain time frame for kids to declare whether or not they plan on going to school for that season.
The last collective bargaining agreement standardized the length of rights. https://puckpedia.com/news/new-mou but that doesn't take effect until 2027. So, being that he was drafted in 2024, I think Anaheim has his rights until June 1st, 2026. So, if not signed by then, he'd reenter the 2026 Draft from what I understand.
That being said, if it's true that Anaheim is encouraging him to go to Minnesota, then we can only assume they don't plan on signing him by June 1, 2026. My source is reliable.
Maybe there's some talk..."go to the Gophers to develop further and we'll redraft you" ???...However, this is total speculation on my part.
per this article a year ago ( https://dom.hockey/2025/08/12/draft-picks-rights-set-to-expire-for-ncaa-players-on-august-15/) the rules for college players remains the same which is they retain them until August 15th after they graduate, including those drafted then playing 1+ year if juniors). But players that unenroll were able to be free agents at the general start of free agency generally in June (I think).
So I think if he came to the U they’d still own his rights but every season he’d have a way out of the rights. So best case is they keep his rights loosely and think they can convince him that his time at the U will prepare him to have a spot in the NHL club in a year or 2 and that’s the best path for him.
Does feel like the start of the movement of would you rather make $60k in the AHL or $150k in NCAA hockey too.
I think it is a joke...the "8 points in 64 games" bit made it seem like it was self-deprecating. Weird Future of Pride On Ice would pick it up. Honestly hard to tell.
I think it is a joke...the "8 points in 64 games" bit made it seem like it was self-deprecating. Weird Future of Pride On Ice would pick it up. Honestly hard to tell.
I appreciate what pride on ice does but I don’t think he has any real “sources”. He just runs with whatever is posted on socials. Could be legit, but sure seems fake to me.
In a recent interview Larsen made a remark about fans not understanding why they might sign a guy with ten points in a season but that team building could require that. Felt like foreshadowing so this may be legit. Cullen would have an inside track and the kid was a captain. Intangibles perhaps.
He also said Carter Casey is coming in this fall. I hope that’s not the case as he could use a season being THE starter. Hopefully his game last night pushes him into the starters role for the remainder of the playoffs.
Middle of the road? Back to back CCHA defenseman of the year. He will be very helpful
Tops in the CCHA which puts him as best of the rest in the B1G. Is he better than Rud or Begley? Yup.
I'm just not sold on bringing him in as a one year rental and I don't believe he will leave Mankato for a higher profile program or for more NIL. He is the top earner for the Line Change Collective the past two years here in Mankato and if he doesn't sign a pro deal he will be the top earner again.
I am theofficial Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!
I get kids are just trying to have a little fun but man I would be a bit irked as a staff. Did not go this far but reminds me of the kid who announced his own commitment to a D-1 football school and got his own Signing Day press conference, etc...
6'3 goalie from Sweden. Leaving because MSU got another 1st round goalie coming in. Don't know much about him, but he's going to be a sophomore. Should hopefully be a nice stop gap between LDP and Casey.
6'3 goalie from Sweden. Leaving because MSU got another 1st round goalie coming in. Don't know much about him, but he's going to be a sophomore. Should hopefully be a nice stop gap between LDP and Casey.
He is the one the Gophers beat when we took the game from MSU this year. About the extent of my watching him play in any detail lol, but was viewed as likely to be very in demand in the portal. Good pickup for the gophers and should be the stopgap to Casey
Middle of the road? Back to back CCHA defenseman of the year. He will be very helpful
Tops in the CCHA which puts him as best of the rest in the B1G. Is he better than Rud or Begley? Yup.
I'm just not sold on bringing him in as a one year rental and I don't believe he will leave Mankato for a higher profile program or for more NIL. He is the top earner for the Line Change Collective the past two years here in Mankato and if he doesn't sign a pro deal he will be the top earner again.
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Agreed this roster looks much better constructed than last year. Good balance of older players, young high end talent, and much better bottom 6 forward group.
If the rumors about Taren Smith are true, he would be the other D coming in. I think they will ask Phillips to play another year of juniors and if he decides to go elsewhere then so be it.
Definitely going to need at least 1 more true center though, preferably a first line type but truthfully haven't seen any specific names mentioned either from the portal or canadian juniors. I don't think Hendrickson has played center in the 2 years he has been on the Gophers, and Humphreys mostly played the wing this past year so would be a little nervous relying on that. Lutdke was pretty underwhelming last year, hopefully he can regain his prior form.
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Agreed this roster looks much better constructed than last year. Good balance of older players, young high end talent, and much better bottom 6 forward group.
If the rumors about Taren Smith are true, he would be the other D coming in. I think they will ask Phillips to play another year of juniors and if he decides to go elsewhere then so be it.
Definitely going to need at least 1 more true center though, preferably a first line type but truthfully haven't seen any specific names mentioned either from the portal or canadian juniors. I don't think Hendrickson has played center in the 2 years he has been on the Gophers, and Humphreys mostly played the wing this past year so would be a little nervous relying on that. Lutdke was pretty underwhelming last year, hopefully he can regain his prior form.
as it stands rn our top-3 centers will probably be Mooney, Ludtke, Moe
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Love it! Can we schedule an exhibition in a few weeks so we don’t have to wait? lol.
so needed a fresh start and I really like the look of this group of it all comes to fruition.
i think Moore is going to take a step next year. And if he does, along with bringing in some fresh players with some grit and skill. Man, what a good look this team has!
really like that D core as well.
so if I’m following correctly, we only need one more goalie? And then possibly one more skater if we choose to fill that open slot that we left vacant last year?
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Just with the additions of Henricks and Murr, the D core is about 100x better.
I see people saying Mooney, or even Hendrickson would slot in at Center on the first line, I'm not sure that I would place my bet on that being your best configuration. Hopefully they've got more on the way in the portal or in soon to be commits that'll help out up the middle.
That being said, the forwards were not the biggest reason why they only won 11 last year, and now it looks like the D core is a problem of the past.
Just with the additions of Henricks and Murr, the D core is about 100x better.
I see people saying Mooney, or even Hendrickson would slot in at Center on the first line, I'm not sure that I would place my bet on that being your best configuration. Hopefully they've got more on the way in the portal or in soon to be commits that'll help out up the middle.
That being said, the forwards were not the biggest reason why they only won 11 last year, and now it looks like the D core is a problem of the past.
yep they need to add up top at center. Humphreys is not a center in the O right now.
And there was a big 'ole smile on face when I pushed "Submit".
I was going to renew either way but it was fun to do so today. 😎
“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”
― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently looking at something like this, assuming Harper comes in and Nevers and Phillips stay committed. Could use a first line center and another D, but this is a much better team.
Mooney-Hendrickson-Ziemer W. Cullen-Ludtke-Burnevik Moore-Humphreys-Kvasnicka Townsend-Moe-Pritchard B. Cullen, Nevers
Agreed this roster looks much better constructed than last year. Good balance of older players, young high end talent, and much better bottom 6 forward group.
If the rumors about Taren Smith are true, he would be the other D coming in. I think they will ask Phillips to play another year of juniors and if he decides to go elsewhere then so be it.
Definitely going to need at least 1 more true center though, preferably a first line type but truthfully haven't seen any specific names mentioned either from the portal or canadian juniors. I don't think Hendrickson has played center in the 2 years he has been on the Gophers, and Humphreys mostly played the wing this past year so would be a little nervous relying on that. Lutdke was pretty underwhelming last year, hopefully he can regain his prior form.
as it stands rn our top-3 centers will probably be Mooney, Ludtke, Moe
only one of those guys is actually a center though. And Ludtke shouldn't even be considered for a spot in the lineup at this point.
If Humphreys isn't expected to step right into the top 6, then there isn't much reason to bring him in
Maybe I'm missing someone, but as of right now here is what it looks like? I don't really understand what's going on with Begley or Harris at this point. Why not grab Hall instead of Harris? If Tarin Smith is in the mix, something is going to have to give on the back end, and they'll need to add goalie 3 as well (unless I'm missing someone).
For the '26 class, I just used what Jupiter has on the "recruits"page. Maybe there'll be a change there, but the only one I can think would be an option would be Nevers - but I know nothing about that. Or is Katz a legit option to come in this year with the season he's having?
I'm as shocked as you that Harris and Begley haven't entered the portal yet. As for D, if Smith commits, I would assume Phillips is asked to play one more year of juniors - either USHL or somewhere in Canada.
PS - Strahl will be a sophomore, not a junior.
Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman