Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @karlsson

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @greyeagle

5.  Pluto must be one

Yes.  Can't figure out the other.

Just clicked. Minnie (Minerva)

*headdesk*

I was today days old when I learned that her real name is Minerva Mouse.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10525
Post on old board: 21741

I was today days old when I learned that her real name is Minerva Mouse.

Same. Plus I also learned Minerva was a Roman goddess.  

My knowledge and understanding of most anything mythological is really bad.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7672
Post on old board: 35040

I knew the name was Minerva Mouse, but didn't know she was named after a god

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2372
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, May 22, 2023
1. Lauren Bacall was nicknamed “Baby” by her first husband. Who was he?

Humphrey Bogart

2. The so-called “Boy Mayor of Cleveland” was 31 years old when he was elected in 1979, making him, at that time, the youngest mayor of a major U.S. city. He later ran for president twice, in 2004 and 2008. What is his name?

Dennis Kucinich

3. The Academy Awards category “Best Short Film - Live Action” was two categories until 1957. It was split into One-BLANK and Two-BLANK films. What four-letter word fills those blanks?

Reel

4. A grand total of 91 popes, including the first pope, are interred at the site of what famous Vatican City church?

St. Peter’s Basilica (St. Peter was the first Pope)

5. The six main characters in the early Disney cartoons are known as the “Sensational Six.” Two of those six characters share their names with Roman deities. Name either of them.

Pluto, Minnie (Minerva) Mouse

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. Steven Spielberg is responsible for the creation of the PG-13 rating, largely due to the content of many PG movies he directed. What 2016 Disney movie, adapted from a Roald Dahl book, is the most recent PG movie Spielberg directed?

2. What common hydrocarbon is responsible for the distinctive orange color of carrots, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes?

3. What city was host to the treaties that formally ended the Franco-Prussian War, World War I, and a number of smaller engagements?

4. If you want to see a police box that can travel 10 quadrillion times the speed of light, you’ll have to tune into what TV show?

5. Benazir Bhutto, Ursula K. LeGuin, and Helen Keller are sometimes described as Harvard alumni, but they all technically graduated from what institution, which formally merged with Harvard in 1963?

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 524

3. Versailles

4. Dr. Who

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

2. Carotene 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Radcliffe  ??

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

1. The BFG?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, May 23, 2023

1. Steven Spielberg is responsible for the creation of the PG-13 rating, largely due to the content of many PG movies he directed. What 2016 Disney movie, adapted from a Roald Dahl book, is the most recent PG movie Spielberg directed?

“The BFG”

2. What common hydrocarbon is responsible for the distinctive orange color of carrots, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes?

Beta-carotene

3. What city was host to the treaties that formally ended the Franco-Prussian War, World War I, and a number of smaller engagements?

Versailles

4. If you want to see a police box that can travel 10 quadrillion times the speed of light, you’ll have to tune into what TV show?

“Doctor Who”

5. Benazir Bhutto, Ursula K. LeGuin, and Helen Keller are sometimes described as Harvard alumni, but they all technically graduated from what institution, which formally merged with Harvard in 1963?

Radcliffe College
(the women’s college associated with Harvard)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, May 24, 2023

1. What European language is known for its penchant for combining nouns to create words, resulting in such delightful translations as “harm-joy”—the delight in another’s downfall—and “explanation poverty”—the experience of panicking and being unable to explain your actions?

2. What American artist was nicknamed “Jack the Dripper”?

3. Taylor Swift allegedly wrote the song “Bad Blood” about an artist who hired dancers away from Taylor’s Red Tour for her 2013 World Prism Tour. Who is she?

4. After Tudor king Edward VI died at age 15, his first cousin once removed was placed on the throne, in an effort to keep Edward’s sister off the throne. This ploy lasted nine days, and today she’s remembered as “The Nine Days’ Queen.” Name her.

5. What 1989 movie was filmed in and around Dubuque, Iowa, starting with the interior shots because the filmmakers had to wait for the corn to get up to Kevin Costner's height for the exterior shots?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1207

2. Jackson Pollock

5. Field of Dreams

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. German

4. Lady Jane Grey

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

FYI, Field of dreams was filmed in Dyersville,  IA which is about 30 miles from Dubuque.  (My mom is from Worthington, IA which is a suburb of Dyersville ?)

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @zwak

FYI, Field of dreams was filmed in Dyersville,  IA which is about 30 miles from Dubuque.  (My mom is from Worthington, IA which is a suburb of Dyersville ?)

The Chisolm scenes were filmed in Galena, IL, which is an awesome river town not too far away and worth a visit/stop if you find yourself in the area.   I've been to Chisolm and let's just say Galena made Chisolm look really, really, good! 

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

3. Katy Perry

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, May 24, 2023
1. What European language is known for its penchant for combining nouns to create words, resulting in such delightful translations as “harm-joy”—the delight in another’s downfall—and “explanation poverty”—the experience of panicking and being unable to explain your actions?

German
(the words are “Schadenfreude” and “Erklärungsnot”)

2. What American artist was nicknamed “Jack the Dripper”?

Jackson Pollock

3. Taylor Swift allegedly wrote the song “Bad Blood” about an artist who hired dancers away from Taylor’s Red Tour for her 2013 World Prism Tour. Who is she?

Katy Perry
(And come to Taylor Swift trivia all of June!)

4. After Tudor king Edward VI died at age 15, his first cousin once removed was placed on the throne, in an effort to keep Edward’s sister off the throne. This ploy lasted nine days, and today she’s remembered as “The Nine Days’ Queen.” Name her.

Lady Jane Grey

5. What 1989 movie was filmed in and around Dubuque, Iowa, starting with the interior shots because the filmmakers had to wait for the corn to get up to Kevin Costner's height for the exterior shots?

“Field of Dreams”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, May 25, 2023

Straight Outta Krypton: Next month marks the 85th anniversary of Superman’s debut. Here are five questions about the Man of Steel!

Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. In what structure does Superman keep, among other things, an alien zoo, a giant metal diary, a robot that plays chess, and the actual Titanic?

2. In most DC Comics storylines, Superman has a cousin named Kara Zor-El. What other name does she go by?

3. Rainn Wilson, Giancarlo Esposito, James Marsters, and Jesse Eisenberg are among the actors most recently to either portray or lend their voices to what Superman character?

4. The Grammy-nominated 2001 song “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” was written by Vladimir Ondrasik III, better known by what stage name? He got the name from the penalty a hockey player might incur for taking a swing at another player.

5. Superman ice cream is made up of three flavors: the red is cherry, the yellow is lemon, and the blue is what flavor? It’s a regional flavor found only in the Midwest that tastes like Froot Loops, and you probably only eat it (ahem) every now and then.

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1207

2. Supergirl

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618

4:  Five for fighting

ReplyQuote

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

4. Five for Fighting

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Blue raspberry ??

Only because I've seen blue raspberry flavored snow cones and have never been able to figure why the hell it's blue...

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

5.  Blue raspberry ??

Only because I've seen blue raspberry flavored snow cones and have never been able to figure why the hell it's blue...

Because red was already taken for Cherry, and pink for Strawberry, plus there are several raspberry varieties that are purplish when fully ripe (and purple was already taken for Grape).

Yes, they set colors for things like Icees and candy intentionally to evoke the food they're pretending to taste like, but try their best to only have one flavor per color to avoid confusion (and, apparently, there's a psychological connection that helps us perceive the flavor as what it's supposed to be if we think we know what it is)

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 984

1) Fortress of Solitude?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

@greyeagle I looked up the answer.  The flavor is not named after any food.  The “every now and then” line is a strong hint.

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

@greyeagle I looked up the answer.  The flavor is not named after any food.  The “every now and then” line is a strong hint.

Ha!  I had no shot....  ? 

Blue Moon Drinking GIF by Blue Moon Brewing Co.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

THAT is a flavor?!?!?

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2162

5) Blue Moon

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @kelly-red

5) Blue Moon

I will still contend that "Blue Moon" isn't a flavor  Wink  

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2162

Posted by: @kelly-red

5) Blue Moon

I will still contend that "Blue Moon" isn't a flavor  Wink  

It is if you’re from Iowa!

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. Lex Luthor 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5635
Post on old board: 16243

Trivia Question:

I was reading about the Montana High School Baseball State Tourney and saw a kid named Espn. Name the movie more then likely the parent got the name from?

lol!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, May 25, 2023

Straight Outta Krypton: Next month marks the 85th anniversary of Superman’s debut. Here are five questions about the Man of Steel!

1. In what structure does Superman keep, among other things, an alien zoo, a giant metal diary, a robot that plays chess, and the actual Titanic?

The Fortress of Solitude

2. In most DC Comics storylines, Superman has a cousin named Kara Zor-El. What other name does she go by?

Supergirl

3. Rainn Wilson, Giancarlo Esposito, James Marsters, and Jesse Eisenberg are among the actors most recently to either portray or lend their voices to what Superman character?

Lex Luthor

4. The Grammy-nominated 2001 song “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” was written by Vladimir Ondrasik III, better known by what stage name? He got the name from the penalty a hockey player might incur for taking a swing at another player.

Five for Fighting

5. Superman ice cream is made up of three flavors: the red is cherry, the yellow is lemon, and the blue is what flavor? It’s a regional flavor found only in the Midwest that tastes like Froot Loops, and you probably only eat it (ahem) every now and then.

Blue Moon

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, May 26, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: There are four animated Disney/Pixar movies that are explicitly set in France. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero total if you get any wrong.

2. Rob Kardashian dated TV personality Adrienne Bailon for several years. Disney Channel kids would probably remember her best as a member of what feline musical quartet?

3. When the “Terminator” film franchise was adapted for television in 2008, it was given what subtitle?

4. Mustard seeds range in color from dark brown to pale gold. But bottled mustard is often bright yellow, thanks to the addition of what spice, common in Indian curries?

5. Today is May 26. On this day in 1998, the lawsuit New Jersey v. New York was decided. You may be surprised to learn that it ruled that the majority of the land on what island in the Hudson Bay is actually part of New Jersey, not New York?

ReplyQuote

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

4. Curcumin

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

1.  Ratatouille, Beauty & The Beast, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, ??

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

1. Only one comes to mind which is Ratatouille.  I'm not well versed on Disney movies at all.

4. Turmeric

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

5: Ellis Island

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 654

1. Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback, Ratatouille, Mickey Mouse and the Three Musketeers?

2. Cheetah Girls

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. The Sarah Connor Chronicles. 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, May 26, 2023

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: There are four animated Disney/Pixar movies that are explicitly set in France. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero total if you get any wrong.

“The Aristocats,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “Ratatouille”
(some believe that “Cinderella” and “Sleeping Beauty” are also set in France, but it's not explicit)

2. Rob Kardashian dated TV personality Adrienne Bailon for several years. Disney Channel kids would probably remember her best as a member of what feline musical quartet?

The Cheetah Girls

3. When the “Terminator” film franchise was adapted for television in 2008, it was given what subtitle?

“The Sarah Connor Chronicles”

4. Mustard seeds range in color from dark brown to pale gold. But bottled mustard is often bright yellow, thanks to the addition of what spice, common in Indian curries?

Turmeric

5. Today is May 26. On this day in 1998, the lawsuit New Jersey v. New York was decided. You may be surprised to learn that it ruled that the majority of the land on what island in the Hudson Bay is actually part of New Jersey, not New York?

Ellis Island

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, May 29, 2023

1. What sea does the Nile River flow into?

2. The actor known as the “Queen of Sci-Fi” is named Susan, but when she was 14 borrowed a nickname from a minor character in “The Great Gatsby.” What is that nickname?

3. The traditional floral heraldic emblem of England is a rose associated with which Royal House, credited with uniting the Houses of Lancaster and York?

4. What pastry is named for the French word for “a flash of lightning,” because it is so delicious it is always eaten in a flash?

5. For 22 seasons, what now-deceased man hosted the longest-running program in the history of the Bravo network?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

1.  Mediterranean Sea

5.  James Lipton

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7672
Post on old board: 35040

2. Sigourney Weaver

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3: Tudor

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

4. Éclair

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, May 29, 2023

1. What sea does the Nile River flow into?

Mediterranean

2. The actor known as the “Queen of Sci-Fi” is named Susan, but when she was 14 borrowed a nickname from a minor character in “The Great Gatsby.” What is that nickname?

Sigourney (Weaver)

3. The traditional floral heraldic emblem of England is a rose associated with which Royal House, credited with uniting the Houses of Lancaster and York?

Tudor

4. What pastry is named for the French word for “a flash of lightning,” because it is so delicious it is always eaten in a flash?

Éclair

5. For 22 seasons, what now-deceased man hosted the longest-running program in the history of the Bravo network?

James Lipton
(“Inside the Actors Studio”)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for Tuesday, May 30, 2023

1. The name “Chuck” is usually short for “Charles.” But in Chuck Norris’ case, it’s short for what six-letter name?

2. Kerri Strug had to be carried to the podium to receive her gold medal in the 1996 Olympics after injuring her ankle during what event?

3. A “gelasin” is a small, natural indentation of the flesh within the structure of the zygomaticus major muscle. It is better known as a... what?

4. The 30,000 residents of what British territory frequently speak the language Llanito, a form of Spanish heavily laced with words from English?

5. Buddy, the golden retriever who played Air Bud in the 1997 movie, also briefly replaced the canine actor who played the Tanners’ pet dog on “Full House.” What was his celestial name on that show?

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

3.  Dimple 

ReplyQuote
Page 62 / 99