2024 NCAA Hockey Off-Season

81 Posts
36 Users
30 Likes
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

It kind of makes sense. I bet it is to not have people sign up for school and just come to the US to work. Complicated for sure.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2193

Posted by: @gopheritall

It kind of makes sense. I bet it is to not have people sign up for school and just come to the US to work. Complicated for sure.

The athletes argument seems both naive and disingenuous, it works the same in their own countries.  Students aren’t allowed to work on a Student Visa.  My niece lived in Spain for a year.  She worked off the books in a coffee shop because she legally wasn’t allowed to have a job.  The thought is it takes employment away from citizens.  You could argue college athletes are somehow different, but they aren’t really, we just act like they’re special.  If he thinks he’s missing out, play in Canada.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

SkiUMahLaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 577

Posted by: @frozen4champs

@skiumahlaw I know I have seen the issue with Canadians and NIL money before. Could you provide me with some clarification? Close was one of the original Dinkytown hockey athletes. Is his student visa different than other Canadians and what about newcomer Matthew Wood? This whole thing makes my head spin. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I can't speak to their specific situations, unfortunately.

But the typical student visa-- which is relatively easy to obtain-- prohibits earning any compensation for any work while here on the visa.  That means my law office cannot hire them to review files much less serve as our spokespersons.

There are other types of visas, and their citizenship may differ anyway.  There also may be ways to pay them in Canada-- things that may not be as available to a NCAA basketball star in Toronto but would be available to a hockey player from Vancouver.

While pushing the envelope as to NCAA rules is one thing, I don't believe that anyone is interested in jeopardizing visa restrictions.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

From Mike McMahon regarding news from the coaches meetings in Florida--

Sounds like Detroit did not put in a bid for the 27 or 28 Frozen Four. But are expected to get one after that cycle to make up for the one they had cancelled. Tampa did meet with people at the St Paul FF. Bids for the 27 & 28 Regionals and FF's will be revealed in the fall.

No consensus was agreed on about the regional sites format. So, they will stay the same for the time being.

Coaches were split on allowing CHL players in the NCAA. No changes coming from coaches but they may not have a choice if that goes through the courts.

I don't think CHL players have any real standing to push eligibility in the courts.  Actually, CHL players, the majority of whom are Canadian, would be at a disadvantage, as their student visas would not permit them to earn NIL income. 

International students in the US are allowed some jobs - mostly on-campus jobs.  I know someone that did that while at the U.  NIL might be a stretch though to qualify as an on-campus job...but maybe?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Sounds like Detroit did not put in a bid for the 27 or 28 Frozen Four. But are expected to get one after that cycle to make up for the one they had cancelled. Tampa did meet with people at the St Paul FF. Bids for the 27 & 28 Regionals and FF's will be revealed in the fall.

No consensus was agreed on about the regional sites format. So, they will stay the same for the time being.

Coaches were split on allowing CHL players in the NCAA. No changes coming from coaches but they may not have a choice if that goes through the courts.

I don't think CHL players have any real standing to push eligibility in the courts.  Actually, CHL players, the majority of whom are Canadian, would be at a disadvantage, as their student visas would not permit them to earn NIL income. 

International students in the US are allowed some jobs - mostly on-campus jobs.  I know someone that did that while at the U.  NIL might be a stretch though to qualify as an on-campus job...but maybe?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

The NCAA (currently) prohibits schools from engaging in NIL activities or employing student athletes directly (remember amateurism?).

The prohibition has less now to do with the amateurism and more to do with protecting Title IX considerations across the board.  If a school employs its Canadian men's hockey players and not its Dominican women's soccer players, it can run itself into a Title IX violation quickly.

The rumors I read today was a proposal by the B1G and $EC to directly pay players.  That would be a seismic shift that would have huge implications on all of college hockey.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Posted by: @idontknow

The NCAA (currently) prohibits schools from engaging in NIL activities or employing student athletes directly (remember amateurism?).

The prohibition has less now to do with the amateurism and more to do with protecting Title IX considerations across the board.  If a school employs its Canadian men's hockey players and not its Dominican women's soccer players, it can run itself into a Title IX violation quickly.

The rumors I read today was a proposal by the B1G and $EC to directly pay players.  That would be a seismic shift that would have huge implications on all of college hockey.

I mean if this happens, the big ten (and UND, BC, Denver maybe) would be able to put an absolute stranglehold on the best players in the country

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

From Jimmy Connelly at coaches meeting.

Seems like a strong consensus among coaches to allowed referees to review major penalties to add an option: now would be allowed to uphold major (possibly add misconduct), downgrade to minor, OR allow no penalty at all. That would align with NHL/IIHF rules.

Also strong consensus to allow all overtime goals in NCAA games to be automatically reviewed instead of what is not a somewhat useless challenge. This will likely also be an option for conference tournaments.

Probably the most controversial rule seems to be overtime. Some coaches want to return to 5 v 5 as opposed to 3 v 3. There was also a ton of separate conversation about how to treat OT in PairWise, which isn't a rules committee issue, but certainly isn't exclusive. Expect more.

There seems to be a strong consensus to change the faceoff rule back to what it once was. Toss the center on a violation, not give a warning. Linespeople will like this one as they always felt centers tried to cheat after getting a warning.

Finally, it sounds like there is a desire to create separate rule books for D1 men's, D1 women's and Division III. Given the PWHL's rule book that has some significant differences regarding body checking, this might make sense to simply separate the men's/women's books.

Rules that don't seem likely to change: - Goaltender interference - Coaches challenges (lost of TO first wrong challenge) - Contact to head and hit from behind - No video tech allowed on bench (relates to expeses) - Delayed penalty goal still results in PP

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

I mean if this happens, the big ten (and UND, BC, Denver maybe) would be able to put an absolute stranglehold on the best players in the country

I don't know that UND/DU can be put in that category. 

You would need to find resources to compete with the B1G and do so on an equivalent basis on the women's side as well.  I think UND/DU and maybe a few other schools could find the money to do it on the men's side, but doubling it to keep pace with the B1G would be a tall task.  Even if they did, since neither sponsor women's hockey, the Summit League would need to allow them to pay women's players to comply with Title IX.  I'm not sure SDSU/NDSU/Northern Iowa would vote to help out UND/DU to their own detriment.

BC and ASU are maybes at best, but even then I am not sure.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

You would need to find resources to compete with the B1G and do so on an equivalent basis on the women's side as well.  I think UND/DU and maybe a few other schools could find the money to do it on the men's side, but doubling it to keep pace with the B1G would be a tall task.  Even if they did, since neither sponsor women's hockey, the Summit League would need to allow them to pay women's players to comply with Title IX.  I'm not sure SDSU/NDSU/Northern Iowa would vote to help out UND/DU to their own detriment.

UND, BC, Denver can all do it with NIL. The initial contract may be weaker, but they can compensate for it with direct to player pay from collectives. I don't think they can remotely keep pace with the Big Ten (no one can), but would would be a second tier of places willing to pay for players that will also get some big guys as the Big Ten isn't going to throw a ton of money at hockey either as they don't really care given it's relatively few schools comparably that play

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

From Jimmy Connelly at coaches meeting.

Seems like a strong consensus among coaches to allowed referees to review major penalties to add an option: now would be allowed to uphold major (possibly add misconduct), downgrade to minor, OR allow no penalty at all. That would align with NHL/IIHF rules.

Also strong consensus to allow all overtime goals in NCAA games to be automatically reviewed instead of what is not a somewhat useless challenge. This will likely also be an option for conference tournaments.

Probably the most controversial rule seems to be overtime. Some coaches want to return to 5 v 5 as opposed to 3 v 3. There was also a ton of separate conversation about how to treat OT in PairWise, which isn't a rules committee issue, but certainly isn't exclusive. Expect more.

There seems to be a strong consensus to change the faceoff rule back to what it once was. Toss the center on a violation, not give a warning. Linespeople will like this one as they always felt centers tried to cheat after getting a warning.

Finally, it sounds like there is a desire to create separate rule books for D1 men's, D1 women's and Division III. Given the PWHL's rule book that has some significant differences regarding body checking, this might make sense to simply separate the men's/women's books.

Rules that don't seem likely to change: - Goaltender interference - Coaches challenges (lost of TO first wrong challenge) - Contact to head and hit from behind - No video tech allowed on bench (relates to expeses) - Delayed penalty goal still results in PP

like the review of the major concept with ability to reduce it as well as the auto review of all OT goals.

I do agree that OT rules right now are really frustrating, as well as the odd pairwise percentage differential. 5v5 would make the most sense if you're going to count it at all in the PWR. Would rather it's just a tie if it goes to OT for PWR and then conferences can do with OT whatever they want for conference points in terms of how they play OT. This would also give a better simulation of how it is in post-season which may be beneficial. All that said, I really do enjoy watching the openness of 3v3 (and it benefits the Gophers, which is also a plus)

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

UND, BC, Denver can all do it with NIL. The initial contract may be weaker, but they can compensate for it with direct to player pay from collectives. I don't think they can remotely keep pace with the Big Ten (no one can), but would would be a second tier of places willing to pay for players that will also get some big guys as the Big Ten isn't going to throw a ton of money at hockey either as they don't really care given it's relatively few schools comparably that play

Don't sleep on the Oregon Title IX lawsuit that is seeking to lump NIL collectives into a Title IX analysis.  If the Court there deems NIL collectives are equivalent to booster clubs (which are subject to Title IX analysis when viewing a school), then UND/BC/BU/Denver are sunk quickly.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7312
Post on old board: 10120

This is all so stupid. Do any other countries pay kids to play college sports?  Priorities for what college should truly be about seems a lost cause in our greedy, litigious society. 🙁

#getoffmylawn

SkiUMahLaw and gopher6 reacted
ReplyQuote
F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 92

I'm sure you would turn NIL money down if you were in their position. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7312
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @f-da-sue

I'm sure you would turn NIL money down if you were in their position. 

I wouldn’t willingly allow anyone to use my name/image/likeness to make money nor would I endorse any products, so yeah, I’d have some balls to set a good example. I also don’t need to be validated with clicks and likes on social media to have self worth and know who I am. But that’s just me. To each their own. 🤷‍♀️

I warned everyone to get off my lawn. 😉

MNNavy reacted
ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

Posted by: @cowgirl

This is all so stupid. Do any other countries pay kids to play college sports?  Priorities for what college should truly be about seems a lost cause in our greedy, litigious society. 🙁

#getoffmylawn

The guise of amateurism was gone long ago. NCAA has made money hand over fist for decades; this was long overdue. I am sure things will balance out but college sports became too big to keep players from getting their cut.

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

#getoffmylawn

Hey now, I resemble that last part! 🤪 

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @bluebandit24

#getoffmylawn

The guise of amateurism was gone long ago. NCAA has made money hand over fist for decades; this was long overdue. I am sure things will balance out but college sports became too big to keep players from getting their cut.

I will add the other complicating factor:

The vast majority of the NCAA is not raking things in hand over fist.  Most schools-- including most D-1 schools, the D-1 hockey schools in Minnesota except UMN, and even the vaunted UND-- rely on general student fees to support their intercollegiate athletics programs.  In essence, all of them are operating at a loss since they rely on students paying a specific portion of their cost of education in order to take the ice/court/field.

So you have about 60 schools out of 400 that are really driving this thing.  Of course, the B1G is among those 60. 

In essence we are looking at a divide of the NCAA that was a long time coming.  The question in my mind is how deep is the separation cut-- will it apply only to football?  Or to basketball too?  Or to hockey/baseball/wrestling/Olympic sports as well?  That answer will determine the future of college sports.

BlueBandit24 reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2221
Post on old board: 6782

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

A little bit of a non-conference meat grinder to open next season for the Purple Cows

https://twitter.com/MinnStMHockey/status/1787879391147573656

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Might this affect SCSU's athletic department down the line sooner than later?

I am not high enough on the totem pole to know specifics...

But I would say that this has already been affecting the SCSU athletic department for some time (together with a Title IX case that SCSU has not completely cleared yet).

From what I know, the enrollment bleed has stopped, but now the school needs to shed faculty to be in line with the size of the student body.  This was done with an eye on trimming the excess, and focusing on priority issues.  As a result, 90% of students are not directly affected by this reorganization-- this may look like a large number of programs being cut, but really each were serving 1 or 2 students total per year (out of 10,000 students in the school!).

From what I can tell, in the department I am associated with it will result in permanently not filling a job that was not filled coming into this year in anticipation of this cut, and letting go of a fixed term associate professor who was going to be done after this year anyway.  If other departments were the same-- and many are, I believe, I don't think we will see a huge change other than the need not to have to staff a class or two that was already a stretch.

I have said to others-- SCSU got hit with a triple whammy over the past 10 years: 1.) changing demographics and college-going tendency of students in Central Minnesota (fewer kids going to college and more working/trade school); 2.) a desire to shed the "party school" reputation has led to fewer students desiring to go but not led to attracting more serious students to replace them; 3.) a lack of a big donor who has written giant checks to modernize buildings and facilities like Mankato has had.

This belt-tightening is not alone to SCSU-- UST announced a few weeks ago that they were cutting staff, and other schools around the country are following suit.  We are entering a declining enrollment phase nationally, and this is the inevitable byproduct when supply exceeds demand. 

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

This account does a good job of putting up graphics on finances of college athletics. SCSU isn't on this chart as he focuses on DI football conferences. 

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1784959011604811990

If you want to see SCSU's EADA Submission:

ReplyQuote

ndgopher
(@ndgopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 71

St Thomas to join the NCHC 26-27 season, announcement coming this morning.  Good fit for UST.

Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1243
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @ndgopher

St Thomas to join the NCHC 26-27 season, announcement coming this morning.  Good fit for UST.

[/quote

so 3 teams from Minnesota in the Nacho conference?

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5335
Post on old board: 15786

"Give that man a $5 Cigar!"

- Doug McLeod

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

SkiUMahLaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

You mean the Summit League Hockey Division?

The more important news is the House class action lawsuit as to a potential settlement being discussed.  Rumor reported by Schools paying players directly approximately $21M per year.  NCAA could face $20B in damages if proposed settlement offer isn't agreed upon

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Posted by: @gopher6

You mean the Summit League Hockey Division?

The more important news is the House class action lawsuit as to a potential settlement being discussed.  Rumor reported by Schools paying players directly approximately $21M per year.  NCAA could face $20B in damages if proposed settlement offer isn't agreed upon

To officially sponsor the Summit League would need what two more members to get an autobid for the NCAA's? That will be interesting to see how that does or doesn't come about.  I would think the logic for schools to move away from the NCHC is to be with similar sized institutions that have similar goals.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

The amount of teeth gnashing and chicken little-ing from Mav fans on X and in real life is amazing right now.  Of course it's "The NCHC turned us down, why didn't they bring us in instead of UST?"  This is completely a money thing for the NCHC.  Why wouldn't they bring in two D1 schools to enhance the financial stability of that conference over a D2 school like Minnesota State? 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 845
Post on old board: 5335

Bonin is lamenting on the hole how UST to the NCHC will just speed up their path to stealing recruits from the Gophers...

He also has copied posts here verbatim and posted them over there, so he's obviously lurking.  

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7113
Post on old board: 18942

My mother taught me if I can't say something nice about a person...

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1241
Post on old board: 6912

It ‘s not like St Thomas will steal (in the near future) any recruits from the Gophers (that the Gophers actually make a good offer to)…but joining the NCHC is definitely going to help accelerate St Thomas rise in D1 hockey! 

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1160
Post on old board: 6069

I saw that the rules committee wants to revert back to the rule where if a team scores on a delayed penalty, the penalty gets nullified. I could not disagree more. Keep the rule as is. Make the player still serve the penalty no matter what. It’s perfect for college hockey and IMO should be in all levels of the sport. 

gopheritall, Rau4SkiUMah, gopher6 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2