4,982 Posts
56 Users
221 Likes
76.5 K Views
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

I’ll be honest that question has me stumped. Can’t think of a better guess than CT either, but Rhode Island doesn’t have any. 

Because I was stumped I looked it up, but still don’t really have a clue and gave up. While rooting around though I found another tidbit on the same subject. 

What two states that have no big 4 professional men’s teams also do not share a border with a state that has any big 4 professional men’s teams?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @karlsson

I’ll be honest that question has me stumped. Can’t think of a better guess than CT either, but Rhode Island doesn’t have any. 

Because I was stumped I looked it up, but still don’t really have a clue and gave up. While rooting around though I found another tidbit on the same subject. 

What two states that have no big 4 professional men’s teams also do not share a border with a state that has any big 4 professional men’s teams?

Maine & Montana?  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4696
Post on old board: 10695

I'm going to say Delaware.  They've got 12 that I count.

Oregon - 21

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5706
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @greyeagle

Maine & Montana?  

Montana!!! 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1221

Posted by: @steve-mn

Oregon - 21

Didst thou forget about the Portland Trailblazers???

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mnnavy

Posted by: @steve-mn

Oregon - 21

Didst thou forget about the Portland Trailblazers???

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

OK... back to Delaware with 12

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

And nope... thinking it through... New Mexico.   9 from Texas, 1 Oklahoma, 4 Colorado, 4 (or 3, but depending on how you count "surrounded" you get that 4th back) Arizona

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @greyeagle

Maine & Montana?  

Correct. As usual, when a trivia question is asking about state borders, Maine is one of the answers. 😀

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

It's Arkansas. Bordered by:

• Texas - 8 teams (Rangers, Astros, Cowboys, Texans, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Stars)
  • Oklahoma - 1 team (Thunder)
  • Missouri - 4 teams (Royals, Cardinals, Chiefs, Blues)
  • Tennessee - 3 teams (Titans, Grizzlies, Predators)
  • Mississippi - 0 teams
  • Louisiana - 2 (Saints, Pelicans)

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I think it will depend on if you count New Mexico as being "surrounded" by states that include Utah.  They don't share a normal border, but, both are part of 4 Corners, so, maybe?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Is it Kentucky?

West Virginia - 0

Virginia - 0

Tennessee - 3

Missouri - 4

Illinois - 5

Indiana - 2

Ohio - 5

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2394
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Is it Kentucky?

West Virginia - 0

Virginia - 0

Tennessee - 3

Missouri - 4

Illinois - 5

Indiana - 2

Ohio - 5

Kentucky is correct.  My understanding is that it borders states that have 20 teams total

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @zwak

Is it Kentucky?

West Virginia - 0

Virginia - 0

Tennessee - 3

Missouri - 4

Illinois - 5

Indiana - 2

Ohio - 5

Kentucky is correct.  My understanding is that it borders states that have 20 teams total

I forgot the Cavaliers. Ohio has 6. 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, May 2, 2024

Answer Keys: All answers this round will be unlocked if you find the right “key.”

1. What lawyer, author, and amateur poet was F. Scott Fitzgerald’s second cousin, three times removed?

Francis Scott Key

2. What island city in Florida is the southernmost city in the lower 48 United States?

Key West

3. The 2001 album “Songs in A Minor,” featuring the song “Fallin’,” was the breakout debut of what artist?

Alicia Keys

4. What actor has voiced Murray the Mummy in “Hotel Transylvania 2,” Judge Peckinpah in “The Angry Birds Movie,” Ducky in “Toy Story 4,” Kamari in “The Lion King,” and Todd on “Bob’s Burgers”?

Keegan-Michael Key

5. In 2005, the TransCanada Corporation announced plans to connect the city of Hardisty, Alberta, to Port Arthur, Texas, via what project?

Keystone Pipeline

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, May 3, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: In the song “My Favorite Things,” five types of animals are mentioned. Name as many of those animals as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. What 10-letter word, frequently seen in U.S. history textbooks, comes from the Latin for “before the war”?

3. William Poole, aka “Bill the Butcher,” was a 19th-century bare-knuckle boxer who was the inspiration for Daniel Day-Lewis’ character in “Gangs of New York.” What was the name of the gang that he led?

4. Johnny Cash was hit with a copyright lawsuit after it was revealed that the melody and many of the lyrics of one of his most popular songs were pulled from a 1953 song called “Crescent City Blues” by Gordon Jenkins. Name the Johnny Cash song.

5. Today is May 3. On this day in 1937, author Margaret Mitchell won a Pulitzer Prize for what novel, which was made into an Academy Award-winning motion picture two years later?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

2.  Antebellum

5.  Gone With The Wind  (and I can't change the channel fast enough if the movie comes on.....blech!)

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

1. Dog, Bees, Kittens...

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Folsom Prison Blues

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. The Bowery Boys 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

4. Folsom Prison Blues

I wasn't aware of this until today and after listening to "Crescent City Blues" for the first time hokey smokes Bullwinkle did Cash ever plagiarize that song.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2193

Posted by: @norm

1. Dog, Bees, Kittens...

In order as I’m singing it in my head…

Kittens, Ponies, Geese, Dogs and Bees.  

Now be gone damn earworm!

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

3. The Bowery Boys 

My favorite gang name was the Dead Rabbits.  I love Gangs of New York and always recommend it when someone waxes nostalgic about the good ol’ days.  No they weren’t, they were brutal.  The gang fights involved axes, pitchforks, lead pipes.  Especially horrible was they often rubbed 💩 on the edges so the wounds would get infected.  Even if you survived the fight, you’d die of septic infection…no antibiotics. Nasty way to die. 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7732
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @kelly-red

3. The Bowery Boys 

My favorite gang name was the Dead Rabbits.  I love Gangs of New York and always recommend it when someone waxes nostalgic about the good ol’ days.  No they weren’t, they were brutal.  The gang fights involved axes, pitchforks, lead pipes.  Especially horrible was they often rubbed 💩 on the edges so the wounds would get infected.  Even if you survived the fight, you’d die of septic infection…no antibiotics. Nasty way to die. 

My current vehicle is named "Hellcat Maggie"  who was a member of the Dead Rabbits, and a composite character in "Gangs Of New York."  😉

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, May 3, 2024

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: In the song “My Favorite Things,” five types of animals are mentioned. Name as many of those animals as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Kittens, Dogs, Bees, Ponies, Geese

2. What 10-letter word, frequently seen in U.S. history textbooks, comes from the Latin for “before the war”?

Antebellum

3. William Poole, aka “Bill the Butcher,” was a 19th-century bare-knuckle boxer who was the inspiration for Daniel Day-Lewis’ character in “Gangs of New York.” What was the name of the gang that he led?

Bowery Boys

4. Johnny Cash was hit with a copyright lawsuit after it was revealed that the melody and many of the lyrics of one of his most popular songs were pulled from a 1953 song called “Crescent City Blues” by Gordon Jenkins. Name the Johnny Cash song.

“Folsom Prison Blues”

5. Today is May 3. On this day in 1937, author Margaret Mitchell won a Pulitzer Prize for what novel, which was made into an Academy Award-winning motion picture two years later?

“Gone With the Wind”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, May 6, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. A 1980 NBC miniseries and a 2024 FX miniseries are both based on what epic novel by James Clavell?

2. What body of water separates Europe and Africa between the countries of Spain and Morocco, and connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean?

3. What Japanese company with a palindromic name invented instant ramen in 1958, and remains one of the world's leading producers of instant noodles?

4. The shortest of the three Triple Crown thoroughbred races is run on Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore. Name that race!

5. If you go to a McDonald’s in Mexico and order a “Cajita Feliz,” what did you order?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1 Shogun

4 Preakness 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

4. The Preakness

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7312
Post on old board: 10120

5. Happy meal

ReplyQuote

MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 223

3. Nissin

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. Strait of Gibraltar

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, May 6, 2024

1. A 1980 NBC miniseries and a 2024 FX miniseries are both based on what epic novel by James Clavell?

“Shōgun”

2. What body of water separates Europe and Africa between the countries of Spain and Morocco, and connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean?

Strait of Gibraltar

3. What Japanese company with a palindromic name invented instant ramen in 1958, and remains one of the world's leading producers of instant noodles?

Nissin

4. The shortest of the three Triple Crown thoroughbred races is run on Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore. Name that race!

Preakness Stakes

5. If you go to a McDonald’s in Mexico and order a “Cajita Feliz,” what did you order?

Happy Meal

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, May 7, 2024

1. What product, trademarked by Hasbro, gets its name from a combination of the French and German words for “yes”?

2. What is the only NBA team whose mascot is based on an animal with webbed feet?

3. The many breeds of “gun dogs” are divided into three groups: flushing dogs, pointing dogs like setters and pointers, and what third group?

4. Which South American country — formerly known as “Dutch Guiana” — is the sovereign nation outside Europe where Dutch is an official language?

5. What projectile, which you might encounter when playing lawn games, gets its name from the fact that it moves back and forth, and supposedly resembles a farm animal?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1 Ouija Board

3 Retrievers

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. New Orleans Pelicans

4. Suriname

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

5.Shuttlecock or Birdie? Seems like a stretch.

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, May 7, 2024

1. What product, trademarked by Hasbro, gets its name from a combination of the French and German words for “yes”?

Ouija

2. What is the only NBA team whose mascot is based on an animal with webbed feet?

New Orleans Pelicans

3. The many breeds of “gun dogs” are divided into three groups: flushing dogs, pointing dogs like setters and pointers, and what third group?

Retrievers

4. What South American country — formerly known as “Dutch Guiana” — is the sovereign nation outside Europe where Dutch is an official language?

Suriname

5. What projectile, which you might encounter when playing lawn games, gets its name from the fact that it moves back and forth, and supposedly resembles a farm animal?

Shuttlecock

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, May 8, 2024

1. The TV show “Mindfreak” ran from 2005 to 2010, and was the first weekly magic show to air on U.S. television in over 40 years. Who was the host?

2. In thermodynamics, -459.69 degrees Fahrenheit is better known as… what?

3. Two of the best selling books written during the annual November event National Novel Writing Month are set at circuses, and are by Sara Gruen and Erin Morgenstern, respectively. Name either one of them.

4. What state’s two-letter abbreviation is also, grammatically speaking, a conjunction?

5. What fruit is actually an aggregate accessory fruit, covered in “achenes”? It’s also the last name of an eight-time All-Star outfielder for the New York Mets.

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

1. Chris Angel

2. Absolute Zero

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 525

4. Oregon

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Strawberry

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @viking

4. Oregon

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

3) I’ve read both… Water for Elephants and Night Circus.  NC was great! 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, May 8, 2024

1. The TV show “Mindfreak” ran from 2005 to 2010, and was the first weekly magic show to air on U.S. television in over 40 years. Who was the host?

Criss Angel

2. In thermodynamics, -459.69 degrees Fahrenheit is better known as… what?

Absolute Zero (or 0 degrees Kelvin)

3. Two of the best selling books written during the annual November event National Novel Writing Month are set at circuses, and are by Sara Gruen and Erin Morgenstern, respectively. Name either one of them.

“Water for Elephants,” “The Night Circus”

4. What state’s two-letter abbreviation is also, grammatically speaking, a conjunction?

Oregon (OR)

5. What fruit is actually an aggregate accessory fruit, covered in “achenes”? It’s also the last name of an eight-time All-Star outfielder for the New York Mets.

Strawberry
(Darryl Strawberry)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, May 9, 2024

A Donkey of a Day: Yesterday (May 8) was National Donkey Day! So here are five questions about donkeys!

Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. The use of the donkey as the mascot for the Democratic Party dates back to which U.S. president, who was frequently called a "jackass" by his political rivals?

2. In what 1990 William Steig children's book does a donkey deliver the title character to meet the Nutty Knight of Crazy Castle?

3. What Mexican border city is so well-known for painting its donkeys to look like zebras that it named its professional basketball team "The Zonkeys"?

4. Male donkeys are called "jacks." What are female donkeys called?

5. What fictional donkey, who first appeared in 1926, is known for wearing a pink bow on their tail?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Jennys

5. Eeyore

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Eeyore

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

4. Jennys

Not sue?  🤣 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2) Shrek
3) The Tijuana Zonkeys!!  

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, May 9, 2024

A Donkey of a Day: Yesterday (May 8) was National Donkey Day! So here are five questions about donkeys!

1. The use of the donkey as the mascot for the Democratic Party dates back to which U.S. president, who was frequently called a "jackass" by his political rivals?

Andrew Jackson

2. In what 1990 William Steig children's book does a donkey deliver the title character to meet the Nutty Knight of Crazy Castle?

“Shrek!”

3. What Mexican border city is so well-known for painting its donkeys to look like zebras that it named its professional basketball team "The Zonkeys"?

Tijuana

4. Male donkeys are called "jacks." What are female donkeys called?

Jennys (or jennets)

5. What fictional donkey, who first appeared in 1926, is known for wearing a pink bow on their tail?

Eeyore

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, May 10, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Starbucks offers drinks in sizes with six names, ranging from 3 ounces to 30 ounces. Give as many of those six names as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. “Boyish Girl Interrupted” is the name of a 2015 stand-up special from what deadpan American comedian?

3. Axel Paulsen was a famed athlete and innovator of what sport, which he revolutionized at the national championships in 1882?

4. “Almost Heaven” is a tourism slogan used in West Virginia. What 1971 song does that phrase come from?

5. Today is May 10. On this day in 1899, the star of such musicals as “Swing Time,” “Top Hat,” and “Funny Face” was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Name that actor, who was listed at No. 5 on AFI’s ranking of the “Greatest American Screen Legends.”

ReplyQuote
Page 99 / 100