[Closed] NCAA Hockey 2022 Off Season

536 Posts
67 Users
5 Likes
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I think a monkey could have led that roster to silver.

I'd bet money you have no idea why he got the NTDP job

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

I don't need to take that bet because I don't care? My point is leading that USA roster to silver at the U18s isn't that impressive.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

MSU could be relevant now? Scary thought.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

Considering the article says MSU tried to poach two current head coaches--one probably Hastings and couldn't I'd hit the brakes on that relevant take.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5643
Post on old board: 16243

1. Wasn’t there a rumor summer of 2020 that the B1G was looking to add an existing blue blood program to the conference? I think it was a Gopher Illustrated article that predicted one of Denver, North Dakota, or UMD would be added to the B1G. I know it sounds far fetched and that was only two times I heard that rumor BUT it was the same guy who correctly called Notre Dame joining the B1G.

Awhile back this year I posted some UND fans demands what UND should ask to join the BIG. It was pretty funny. I’m trying to find it and repost.

Finally found it.  This was from this past fall during the Gophers/UND series.  Some UND fan posted this on a fb NCAA hockey group or Sioux Sports. About as delusional as it gets... LoL!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

I don’t need to take that bet because I don’t care? My point is leading that USA roster to silver at the U18s isn’t that impressive.

Given that it's the NTDP that essentially provides the U18 team, and that he was the head coach that put that roster together, I think giving him a large amount of credit is in order.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

the NTDP that essentially provides the U18 team, and that he was the head coach that put that roster tog

Did he? He was hired in August 2020, after the U17 team that became this U18 team would have been selected.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2609
Post on old board: 15478

1. Wasn’t there a rumor summer of 2020 that the B1G was looking to add an existing blue blood program to the conference? I think it was a Gopher Illustrated article that predicted one of Denver, North Dakota, or UMD would be added to the B1G. I know it sounds far fetched and that was only two times I heard that rumor BUT it was the same guy who correctly called Notre Dame joining the B1G.

Awhile back this year I posted some UND fans demands what UND should ask to join the BIG. It was pretty funny. I’m trying to find it and repost.

Finally found it. This was from this past fall during the Gophers/UND series. Some UND fan posted this on a fb NCAA hockey group or Sioux Sports. About as delusional as it gets… LoL!!!

That's good humor and reminiscent of their baseless grandstanding before they were water boarded into changing their name.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 573

Finally found it. This was from this past fall during the Gophers/UND series. Some UND fan posted this on a fb NCAA hockey group or Sioux Sports. About as delusional as it gets… LoL!!!

Lou Nanne has been quite vocal about trying to get UND into the B1G. Wisely, everyone not named MN simply rolls their eyes at him. Can't imagine Ohio State or Penn State wanting to travel to Grand Forks. Ever.

I think we will see ASU listed as an affiliate member for hockey here soon now that Illinois is out.

As long as we have road trips to Tempe in January or February, I am game for that.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

If you let ASU in sounds like you can let UMD in, too, as someone said ASU doesn't meet the requirements.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

Obviously I’d rather have one of the three I mentioned in my last post; UND, UMD, or Denver. ASU does absolutely nothing for me. Also, Bonin21 makes a solid point, if you let in ASU then academically you can let in any of the schools I just listed. Arizona St isn’t exactly the Harvard of the SW.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7681
Post on old board: 35040

If any of the Nachos leave the conference, it'd be simply for money, not for any sort of rivalry thing. Also, being competitive (and therefore more money/exposure, relatively) would factor in.

Would one want to leave a conference they are dominant in, to be a cellar-dweller in a different conference?

In the end, just follow the dollar, and you'll have the answer.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7255
Post on old board: 10120

I have zero interest anymore in playing the fawks several times a year.  Mainly because I abhor their fan base.

Denver would be cool.  But obviously having to form the big ten because we had a certain number of teams was just a farce since they’ll let non-big ten teams in and probably realign everything in the future anyways.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

If you let ASU in sounds like you can let UMD in, too, as someone said ASU doesn’t meet the requirements.

Notre Dame isn't AAU either.

But they're a national name and a P5 equivalent school.

That's the new NCAA and the lens the B1G will be looking through.  They (ASU) fit the profile better than anyone else except maybe BC, as Army and Air Force aren't in the table.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Would one want to leave a conference they are dominant in, to be a cellar-dweller in a different conference?

You don't seriously think UMD, UND, or DU would be a cellar dweller in the Big Ten, I hope.

As far as I know those are the three teams that have been to the FF the most since the conference shakeup.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

You don’t seriously think UMD, UND, or DU would be a cellar dweller in the Big Ten, I hope.

DU could be. UND could be. tUMD? Prob not. And remember, this is all relative. Basically, not dominant year in and year out. Those three are the haves in the Nacho. SCSU was for a bit, they faltered hard this year.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

DU could be. UND could be. tUMD? Prob not. And remember, this is all relative. Basically, not dominant year in and year out. Those three are the haves in the Nacho. SCSU was for a bit, they faltered hard this year.

UMD is the top hockey program of the last 10 years...

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

UMD is the top hockey program of the last 10 years…

I said "prob not." 😉 Also have not played a full conf sched with MI/MN/ND/OSU, etc. So who knows?

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5306
Post on old board: 15786

Also have not played a full conf sched with MI/MN/ND/OSU, etc. So who knows?

Just stop...

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Well, my dislike for ASU and their coach stems from Jacob Wilson and other players like that that Greg Powers has brought into their program, but even if that ends now that Wilson's used his COVID year, I don't see any real benefit to their joining as an affiliate.  I know people want to point to playing in warm weather on a campus full of hot chicks as things that will attract good players, but if that really was a big factor, shouldn't Powers' numbers have already surpassed those of Brush Christiansen's at UAA 7 seasons in?

One thing to keep in mind is that Notre Dame joining as an affiliate didn't come without a HUGE side benefit, a foot in the door to woo their independent football program into the B1G along with the rest of their athletics away from the ACC, so the conference's decision to look the other way about the AAU thing for them most likely had nothing to do with hockey.  If the conference desperately wanted an 8th team, I could see the folks in Rosemont inviting UMD in on a technicality, but I wouldn't call the current state of affairs as desperate, so they're probably going to sit on their hands until either a current B1G member outside of hockey (including Johns Hopkins) decides to start a hockey program or a golden opportunity like Notre Dame was comes along.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Even if UMD was invited to the Big Ten, would they want to join?  Would the money be too enticing?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Even if UMD was invited to the Big Ten, would they want to join? Would the money be too enticing?

I would bet any of the NCHC or Minnesota colleges would trip over themselves to join... especially UND.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

Well, I know people want to point to playing in warm weather on a campus full of hot chicks as things that will attract good players, but if that really was a big factor.

Aside from another BIG school (that currently doesn’t have a D1 hockey program) starting one, I think Arizona State would make a good 8th (affiliate) team in the conference. Give it some time…eventually the perk of playing D1 hockey in the desert will pay off (at) Arizona State U and they will field a very competitive team. ☝️

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Well, I know people want to point to playing in warm weather on a campus full of hot chicks as things that will attract good players, but if that really was a big factor.

Aside from another BIG school (that currently doesn’t have a D1 hockey program) starting one…I think Arizona State would make a good 8th school in the conference. Give it some time…eventually the perk of playing D1 hockey in the desert will pay off for Arizona State U and they will field a very competitive team.

It would be a very very fun place to play some hockey and get an education.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

It would be a very very fun place to be a hockey player

Stated another way. We already see it with all the older guys that transfer there. They know what being on that campus entails.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

It would be a very very fun place to be a hockey player

Stated another way. We already see it with all the older guys that transfer there. They know what being on that campus entails.

Mark my words, eventually it will translate to success on the ice, especially after they build their new rink & training facilities! ?

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

That is not really a bold prediction

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Keep in mind the B1G is set to sign a 1B media package deal in the next month or so.  That is how the B1G looks at this: which programs will provide the best value from a media package approach.  It isn't necessarily about creating the best games, but about controlling the media market.

Outside the B1G, the best media value is clearly from Boston College and maybe Boston U, both being in a major market and having a ton of alumni who are invested in those programs.  It clearly was on their backs that ESPN picked up a huge Hockey East media deal which will provide major visibility hitting the entire country but focused on New England.  They're not likely to jump ship from Hockey East for logistical reasons.

If you propose UND, UMD or DU in that conversation, you have to remember that the best rights deal they could get with the NCHC was through a partial deal with CBS College Sports and a local deal through Midco.  That reflects how the demand for those hockey schools is actually perceived in the media world.

ASU is a school in a major market with tons of invested alumni locally, also where lots of B1G alumni winter, and plays in a similar institutional conference sandbox (the PAC-12).  Cooperating with the PAC-12 would give the B1G access to the LA/SF/Denver/Seattle/Portland/SLC markets as well.  They are poised to be a solid hockey program with a new rink that will also host a NHL squad for a while.  It is basically another Penn State, and you can't tell me that even the old WCHA or CCHA would have turned down Penn State if they wanted to join.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

You are overestimating how much hockey plays into their decision making. How much do you think hockey factors into that $1B valuation? If I had to guess, like $10MM.

Yes, I think most of us agree ASU is the easy option. Beyond that, a local school would add something sorely lacking from the fan side. Another road trip opportunity, which is a huge thing in our niche sport.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Keep in mind the B1G is set to sign a 1B media package deal in the next month or so. That is how the B1G looks at this: which programs will provide the best value from a media package approach. It isn’t necessarily about creating the best games, but about controlling the media market. Outside the B1G, the best media value is clearly from Boston College and maybe Boston U, both being in a major market and having a ton of alumni who are invested in those programs. It clearly was on their backs that ESPN picked up a huge Hockey East media deal which will provide major visibility hitting the entire country but focused on New England. They’re not likely to jump ship from Hockey East for logistical reasons. If you propose UND, UMD or DU in that conversation, you have to remember that the best rights deal they could get with the NCHC was through a partial deal with CBS College Sports and a local deal through Midco. That reflects how the demand for those hockey schools is actually perceived in the media world. ASU is a school in a major market with tons of invested alumni locally, also where lots of B1G alumni winter, and plays in a similar institutional conference sandbox (the PAC-12). Cooperating with the PAC-12 would give the B1G access to the LA/SF/Denver/Seattle/Portland/SLC markets as well. They are poised to be a solid hockey program with a new rink that will also host a NHL squad for a while. It is basically another Penn State, and you can’t tell me that even the old WCHA or CCHA would have turned down Penn State if they wanted to join.

Long Term…ASU…and for all the reasons stated above, is potentially even better than Penn State (in terms of media value).

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

If you propose UND, UMD or DU in that conversation, you have to remember that the best rights deal they could get with the NCHC was through a partial deal with CBS College Sports and a local deal through Midco. That reflects how the demand for those hockey schools is actually perceived in the media world.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

Can we just move on?!

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Or reflects demand for college hockey in general.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Can we just move on?!

From what? Obviously the Big Ten will look to add someone at some point. Probably ASU. But it's not insane to think about singular other schools that could join. This is not the "blow up the Big Ten" discussion.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Can we just move on?!

lol…or maybe U just don’t bother to read this ?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

So if Illinois is out, what other current B1G members would be reasonable to add ice hockey? I always thought Northwestern would be a no brainer, being in the Chicago area. Rutgers in New Jersey is a prime hockey area of the country. After that it's pretty slim. Hockey is not as big in Iowa as all their USHL teams make it seem.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

You are overestimating how much hockey plays into their decision making. How much do you think hockey factors into that $1B valuation? If I had to guess, like $10MM. Yes, I think most of us agree ASU is the easy option. But a local school would add something sorely lacking from the fan side. Another road trip opportunity, which is a huge thing in our niche sport.

What is the value of the Gopher contract with BSN extrapolated over the term of the years?  Then add the same for Michigan, MSU and Bucky?  That is the way to figure that out.  Of course hockey isn't driving the bus, but if you think they will leave money on the table so Gopher fans get a convenient road trip, you are kidding yourself.  What additional value will UND/UMD/DU/SCSU/MSUM provide to that 1B?

Any chance to build leverage for additional monies is a good one.  Cooperation with the PAC-12 is huge for media purposes. This is not a secret and is a major reason why the BCS amendment to increase number of schools in the football playoff wasn't passed.

Do you really think a NCHC school will use bringing ASU aboard the B1G as a negative in a recruiting battle?

I should not have made it so accusatory toward you.  But for those advocating for anyone other than ASU, you really should give a financial reason instead of a hockey reason.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Agree Northwestern would be best for us as fans with it in road trip distance.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

What is the value of the Gopher contract with BSN extrapolated over the term of the years? Then add the same for Michigan, MSU and Bucky? That is the way to figure that out. Of course hockey isn’t driving the bus, but if you think they will leave money on the table so Gopher fans get a convenient road trip, you are kidding yourself. What additional value will UND/UMD/DU/SCSU/MSUM provide to that 1B? Any chance to build leverage for additional monies is a good one. Cooperation with the PAC-12 is huge for media purposes. This is not a secret and is a major reason why the BCS amendment to increase number of schools in the football playoff wasn’t passed. Do you really think a NCHC school will use bringing ASU aboard the B1G as a negative in a recruiting battle?

I am not advising against ASU... Let's call that a given for now.

I'm asking what detriment does UMD bring to the equation? Do you really think if you asked the average college football or basketball fan they could tell you Notre Dame plays Big Ten hockey? No, and it would be the same for UMD. It would not hurt the brand.

And the upside? An increased chance at a national title for "Big Ten hockey".

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

So if Illinois is out, what other current B1G members would be reasonable to add ice hockey? I always thought Northwestern would be a no brainer, being in the Chicago area. Rutgers in New Jersey is a prime hockey area of the country. After that it’s pretty slim. Hockey is not as big in Iowa as all their USHL teams make it seem.

I agree on Northwestern being the best fit for the BIG.  Though is there enough Northwestern fans, Rutgers fans or fans who'll become fans of those programs to support the program.  Same for Iowa. It' easy to to they'll have fans, but what kind and how large of a financially fan base.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

What is the value of the Gopher contract with BSN extrapolated over the term of the years? Then add the same for Michigan, MSU and Bucky? That is the way to figure that out. Of course hockey isn’t driving the bus, but if you think they will leave money on the table so Gopher fans get a convenient road trip, you are kidding yourself. What additional value will UND/UMD/DU/SCSU/MSUM provide to that 1B? Any chance to build leverage for additional monies is a good one. Cooperation with the PAC-12 is huge for media purposes. This is not a secret and is a major reason why the BCS amendment to increase number of schools in the football playoff wasn’t passed. Do you really think a NCHC school will use bringing ASU aboard the B1G as a negative in a recruiting battle?

I am not advising against ASU… Let’s call that a given for now. I’m asking what detriment does UMD bring to the equation? Do you really think if you asked the average college football or basketball fan they could tell you Notre Dame plays Big Ten hockey? No, and it would be the same for UMD. It would not hurt the brand.

As a UMD alum, sure UMD would love being dealt into the ? associated with being a BIG affiliate member, that’s a no brainer. But regarding schools fitting into the BIG (as an affiliate) Arizona State simply fits better, based on size, campus, academics and other sports. Again, from a long term perspective, ASU is a diamond in the rough with huge upside down the road. ☝️

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

As a UMD alum, sure UMD would love being dealt into the  associated with being a BIG affiliate member, that’s a no brainer. But regarding schools fitting into the BIG (as an affiliate) Arizona State simply fits better, based on size, campus, academics and other sports. Again, from a long term perspective, ASU is a diamond in the rough with huge upside down the road.

Again, I'm not saying no to ASU... And obviously if they get to 8 they won't care to add a 9th and make it odd again.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

I am not advising against ASU… Let’s call that a given for now. I’m asking what detriment does UMD bring to the equation? Do you really think if you asked the average college football or basketball fan they could tell you Notre Dame plays Big Ten hockey? No, and it would be the same for UMD. It would not hurt the brand. And the upside? An increased chance at a national title for “Big Ten hockey”.

Won't hurt the B1G brand? Hardly. It may not hurt the hockey brand, but it will hurt the overall brand.

The detriment is an expectation of a share of B1G revenue and a diminution of the reputation of a premier brand in sports by the inclusion of a school nobody outside of MN can find on a map.  Will winning a national title add increased revenues to offset that?  What if they don't win a national title (as only one school per year does, and remember that Michigan Tech as the team of the 1970s too, and where are they now?)?

The B1G isn't going to make decisions based on past reputation, but on future promise.  UMD is still a program to be reckoned with, but they have no natural advantages that can provide any guarantees to any promise.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Pretty much like what I've said before... it's what can you bring to the table for the BIG, not what the BIG can bring for you.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

The detriment is an expectation of a share of B1G revenue

Do we know what share Notre Dame gets? This is not related to the rest of the discussion but curious. I imagine it's very, very little.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Do we know what share Notre Dame gets? This is not related to the rest of the discussion but curious. I imagine it’s very, very little.

I think one of the agreements was to allow ND to keep its existing media deal with NBC Sports.  That is worth a ton to the Golden Domers.

At the same time, ND was in a bit of an issue because it logistically could not stay in Hockey East and the NCHC and WCHA provided no benefit to them for that media deal.  So the B1G had a pretty good leverage over them.  ND also has donors that could write a check for anything it wants to do, so their need for a share isn't as important as maintaining some independence.

UMD does not need to leave the NCHC, has minimal media revenue, and its road would get exponentially tougher in the B1G, as well as an increase in their costs to keep up with B1G facilities and recruiting.  It better get a share of something or it cannot afford to jump.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

and its road would get exponentially tougher in the B1G

Its road for what? They are in the toughest conference.

But yes, the costs skyrocket when you have to fly everywhere and they probably can't afford it.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Do we know what share Notre Dame gets? This is not related to the rest of the discussion but curious. I imagine it’s very, very little.

I think one of the agreements was to allow ND to keep its existing media deal with NBC Sports. That is worth a ton to the Golden Domers. At the same time, ND was in a bit of an issue because it logistically could not stay in Hockey East and the NCHC and WCHA provided no benefit to them for that media deal. So the B1G had a pretty good leverage over them. ND also has donors that could write a check for anything it wants to do, so their need for a share isn’t as important as maintaining some independence. UMD does not need to leave the NCHC, has minimal media revenue, and its road would get exponentially tougher in the B1G, as well as an increase in their costs to keep up with B1G facilities and recruiting. It better get a share of something or it cannot afford to jump.

UMD would jump for only one reason…???. As far as “it’s road (competitively speaking) wound get exponentially tougher in the BIG”?, I’m not sure what you’re talking about lol…as they currently play in the most competitive conference, by the numbers it isn’t even close…especially based on who’s won the Natty the past decade + 2 years.

And as far as UMD having no natural advantages going forward in the future…the fact is they had significantly less natural advantages Fall of 2010.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Different topic: gonna be a weird year in the NCHC. I only have UND, UMD, and Denver making the NCAAs. St Cloud, Western and Omaha lose their whole teams. Potential up year for CC? The door is definitely wide open.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Not to belabor the point, but the bottom PWR this past year year for NCHC teams were CC and Miami at 45 and 46 respectively, with Bucky and Michigan State 36/37.  Penn State and Omaha were 25 and 23 (virtual wash). and the rest of both conferences were all in the top 15.  Keep in mind that UMD is one of those.

Year before that, UND was the only NCHC school in the top 10 for PWR, and MN and WI represented the B1G there at 4 and 8.

COVID year, both conferences had 3 teams in top 14.  Lowest team from both conferences was Miami at 44 and CC was at 40, worst B1G school was 32 (Bucky).

So yeah, the top grouping is approximately the same (if anything, maybe one standout NCHC school a little higher than the B1G), and the B1G bottom is probably better than the NCHC bottom.  Take UMD from the NCHC equation and substitute it into the B1G for my point, and it would be a tougher grind for the Dogs based on recent history.

Maybe exponential is a stretch, but a regular season with 8 more games against stronger opponents would be tougher in the B1G.  And championships of single-game elimination tournaments is not necessarily indicative of strength of conference schedule.

Page 7 / 11