67 Users
5 Likes
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12453
Post on old board: 9626

Slap Shot wrote...

This is a pretty cool idea: Western Michigan, Northeastern to play Music City Hockey Classic on Nov. 25 as part of double header with NHL’s Predators

The Fighting Whioux played Penn St there last year as the Hall of Fame game. The Preds played during the day and the Whioux played at night. Had a bunch of friends go there and Broadway was full of Whioux fans for the entire weekend. Would love for the Gophers to be involved in one of these someday.

A long and exciting day of hockey at Bridgestone Arena this past Saturday concluded with a bit of college action as No. 6 North Dakota battled Penn State in the annual 2021 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game. It was the Nittany Lions who pulled the upset, 6-4, despite upwards of 15,000 Fighting Hawks' fans in attendance for the special event.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4559
Post on old board: 28736

thinkbui wrote...
YoungEagle wrote…

So if say Luke Hughes wasn’t pleased with the direction at Michigan could he in theory still transfer without sitting out a year or is it too late?

I’d be surprised if he did, but I believe he can transfer immediately.  Though CHN’s breakdown on potential rules changes this offseason mentions a requirement that the destination school must still be enrolling for fall semester and I haven’t even thought about enrollment periods in years.

The rule changes likely wouldn't be put into effect in time so I wouldn't worry about them.

As far as I can tell (and I havent really looked into it) as long as he gets in and gets enrolled he can transfer.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/CHN_AdamWodon/status/1556354638047334401

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

HandyNotDan wrote...
thinkbui wrote…
YoungEagle wrote…

So if say Luke Hughes wasn’t pleased with the direction at Michigan could he in theory still transfer without sitting out a year or is it too late?

I’d be surprised if he did, but I believe he can transfer immediately.  Though CHN’s breakdown on potential rules changes this offseason mentions a requirement that the destination school must still be enrolling for fall semester and I haven’t even thought about enrollment periods in years.

The rule changes likely wouldn’t be put into effect in time so I wouldn’t worry about them.

As far as I can tell (and I havent really looked into it) as long as he gets in and gets enrolled he can transfer.

I should have worded that better.  The article mentions it as a current restriction.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7203
Post on old board: 10120

I don’t think high profile athletes would necessarily need to worry about rules.  We all know schools would find a way to make a transfer happen if it would benefit their athletics.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ConnorEaregood/status/1556364588400123906

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1175
Post on old board: 6912

YoungEagle wrote...

If Luke Hughes wasn’t pleased & therefore didn’t want to play for Michigan this season, he wouldn’t transfer to another D1 school…he’d simply sign with the Devils.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

frozen4champs wrote...

Bill Muckalt is an excellent recruiter and a respected coach. He’s also still got two years on his contract. Both likely factors in Michigan keeping him around.

It also says a lot about Brandon Naurato that he earned the interim spot over Muckalt. https://t.co/d3EdBGl6gS — Connor Earegood (@ConnorEaregood) August 7, 2022

Seems like a strange decision to me since most of the last 10 or so years he was on Mel's staff.  I suppose he could just be staying in the interim, especially since it's August, but it's still hard not to see him as a Pearson guy.

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 556

thinkbui wrote...
frozen4champs wrote…

Bill Muckalt is an excellent recruiter and a respected coach. He’s also still got two years on his contract. Both likely factors in Michigan keeping him around.

It also says a lot about Brandon Naurato that he earned the interim spot over Muckalt. https://t.co/d3EdBGl6gS — Connor Earegood (@ConnorEaregood) August 7, 2022

Seems like a strange decision to me since most of the last 10 or so years he was on Mel’s staff.  I suppose he could just be staying in the interim, especially since it’s August, but it’s still hard not to see him as a Pearson guy.

Perhaps the "two years left on the contract" was the reason why he stuck around.  The reports don't seem to implicate Muckalt in any way, so there was no cause to terminate his agreement, and buying out assistants-- while not necessarily expensive-- is probably not what you want to spend your resources on.

I think I would advise him to seek other opportunities, however, following the contract ending.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4559
Post on old board: 28736

I'm sure they said something similar to him 😉

Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 182
Post on old board: 7524

I think Mel was a bad choice from Day 1, all this other stuff aside. It will be interesting to see who they go with after the sacrificial lamb serves out the season. Grant is in state here and might be perfectly positioned, should things keep going well.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6915
Post on old board: 18942

Potential new Division I men’s hockey conference on horizon with 10 possible schools ‘looking at opportunities’

According to the Union Leader, Saint Anselm’s men’s hockey could be part of a move to Division I if a new conference is potentially formed.

“We’re looking at opportunities for what we might do to elevate our men’s ice hockey program and give them the same branding profile opportunities and exposure that we’ve done on the women’s side,” said Daron Montgomery, the college’s director of athletics, in the report. “Those student athletes are having a tremendous experience with the women’s program and now the question is how can we look to do something similar on the men’s side?”

Saint Anselm’s women’s hockey team moved to D-I in 2017 and is now part of the NEWHA conference.

Earlier this year, NEWHA commissioner Bob DeGregorio looked at the potential expansion opportunities in D-I men’s hockey and reported his findings to 10 schools — Saint Anselm, Southern New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce, Saint Michael’s, Assumption, Post, Stonehill, Long Island, Lindenwood, and Utica.

“My recommendation to those 10 schools was, if you are serious about moving your programs forward, form a new (Division I) league and play for the next two years,” DeGregorio said. “That would be a very good thing, as far as I’m concerned, for the growth of Division I men’s ice hockey.

“So you play for two years and then if you become eligible for an automatic qualifier, perfect. If you don’t, there’s nothing you can do about it, anyway. Keep going, keep the league going, keep playing, and get your presidents active in this, get them blowing up the phone lines at the NCAA headquarters because, ultimately, it’s the presidents who will move the needle on this.”

Whether or not this comes to fruition (either in part or in total) it didn't seen that that long that NCAA Div I hockey was bordering on losing teams, and there were discussions on if the NCAA would go back to a smaller field for the national tournament.  Even without this it appears at least for now that Div I hockey is as healthy as it's ever been.  :dup:

Also I don't think this was mentioned elsewhere, but Augsburg and St. John's will play each other as part of HDM.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Wonder if the gift bags included some supplements? :bye:

https://twitter.com/MinnStAthletics/status/1558490342776885248

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1698

Slap Shot wrote...

Potential new Division I men’s hockey conference on horizon with 10 possible schools ‘looking at opportunities’

According to the Union Leader, Saint Anselm’s men’s hockey could be part of a move to Division I if a new conference is potentially formed.

“We’re looking at opportunities for what we might do to elevate our men’s ice hockey program and give them the same branding profile opportunities and exposure that we’ve done on the women’s side,” said Daron Montgomery, the college’s director of athletics, in the report. “Those student athletes are having a tremendous experience with the women’s program and now the question is how can we look to do something similar on the men’s side?”

Saint Anselm’s women’s hockey team moved to D-I in 2017 and is now part of the NEWHA conference.

Earlier this year, NEWHA commissioner Bob DeGregorio looked at the potential expansion opportunities in D-I men’s hockey and reported his findings to 10 schools — Saint Anselm, Southern New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce, Saint Michael’s, Assumption, Post, Stonehill, Long Island, Lindenwood, and Utica.

“My recommendation to those 10 schools was, if you are serious about moving your programs forward, form a new (Division I) league and play for the next two years,” DeGregorio said. “That would be a very good thing, as far as I’m concerned, for the growth of Division I men’s ice hockey.

“So you play for two years and then if you become eligible for an automatic qualifier, perfect. If you don’t, there’s nothing you can do about it, anyway. Keep going, keep the league going, keep playing, and get your presidents active in this, get them blowing up the phone lines at the NCAA headquarters because, ultimately, it’s the presidents who will move the needle on this.”

Whether or not this comes to fruition (either in part or in total) it didn’t seen that that long that NCAA Div I hockey was bordering on losing teams, and there were discussions on if the NCAA would go back to a smaller field for the national tournament.  Even without this it appears at least for now that Div I hockey is as healthy as it’s ever been.  :dup:

Also I don’t think this was mentioned elsewhere, but Augsburg and St. John’s will play each other as part of HDM.

Nice to see SJU Hockey get some state wide exposure. :dup:

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

Slap Shot wrote...

Whether or not this comes to fruition (either in part or in total) it didn’t seen that that long that NCAA Div I hockey was bordering on losing teams, and there were discussions on if the NCAA would go back to a smaller field for the national tournament.  Even without this it appears at least for now that Div I hockey is as healthy as it’s ever been.  :dup:

Also I don’t think this was mentioned elsewhere, but Augsburg and St. John’s will play each other as part of HDM.

These are actual colleges?  :unsure:

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6915
Post on old board: 18942

Bertogliat wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

These are actual colleges?   :unsure:

I can't vouch.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

As someone who lives 55 miles from their campus, I have 1 request. :M2:

https://twitter.com/AugieMHockey/status/1559314240678219778

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The 1st of many polls. I know the only one that really counts will be after April 8th, but it is nice to see the Gophers up towards the top with great expectations.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1559342615929184257

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7630
Post on old board: 35040

He DARES place us 2nd? The nerve of that hack! Alright, who's got a rope? 😉

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7379

frozen4champs wrote...

The 1st of many polls. I know the only one that really counts will be after April 8th, but it is nice to see the Gophers up towards the top with great expectations.

Preseason BucciMane#cawlidgehawkey Top 16
1 Denver
2 Minnesota
3 NorthDakota
4 Notre Dame
5 MinnesotaDuluth
6 Harvard
7 Northeastern
8 Quinnipiac
9 Michigan
10 BostonUniversity
11 MinnSt
12 Providence
13 UMass
14 Bemidji St
15 UConn
16 Penn St pic.twitter.com/TmJ3w0Pj54— BucciParmPastaKnack(next) (@Buccigross) August 16, 2022

Best d core in the nation and best top line. Lot to like!!

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

The Rube wrote...

He DARES place us 2nd? The nerve of that hack! Alright, who’s got a rope? 😉

Isn't it a tradition to place last year's NC winner in first place in pre-season polls?

Polls don't matter anyway, but I'm pretty charged up about watching these young uber talents this season. College hockey has gotten overcrowded with the ham-and-eggers of the world (think: Mankato), but I'd much rather go watch a kid like Cooley or Knies or Faber every weekend than a kid with a wife and three kids in the stands. :yahoo:

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10428
Post on old board: 21741

wi is too high. B-)

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gopheritall reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5589
Post on old board: 16243

Preseason polls mean dinky-do.

Keep your stick on the ice...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Rassey was just named the head coach of the USHL Sioux Falls Stampede in late June.  He is a Michigan native who played at Northeastern. Was an assistant at Harvard for a while and last year the GM for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL.

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/1559936343941193732

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Maybe the Lucius family can buy up all of those 300 level seats..

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1563199241291730945

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1563923007902552064

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Dumpster fire

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Dumpster fire

Only one more fitting fan-base it could happen to.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Looks like an angry Winnie the Pooh

https://twitter.com/UMDBulldogs/status/1565395467332206592

Cowgirl reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 10695

Ummm... why would they think this is a good idea?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

frozen4champs nailed it  

Winnie The Pooh Animation GIF by Disney

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

https://twitter.com/cchahockey/status/1571865731851079683?s=21&t=hAa0OIh83S0Jy7hdEDElbQ

Yeah ya think?

When will the Big Ten release preseason polls and preseason all conference teams and all that jazz? I remember it usually being on a Monday so could be today…

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 831
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

Probably next week would be my guess, but it's possible it could be tomorrow.  

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Even though MSUM's recent success wasn't just because of Dryden McKay, it'll be interesting to see how well they do without him.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I swear he's been around longer than Tanner Morgan.... ? 

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1574821236978368513?s=20&t=V_pj_Ah3KPql74Mj27YgSw

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

Graduated from EP the same year as Casey Mittlestadt. 

Page 11 / 11