536 Posts
67 Users
5 Likes
Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

NCHC is better and a tougher grind. Period. Miami and CC get pounded because the other six are so much better. They are probably kept in the conference because it benefits the others to have doormats.

Miami/CC and uw/MSU are a wash. Omaha would beat PSU/OSU in a series. Beyond that you have five teams that made the tournament from the NCHC and three from the Big Ten.

Look at titles, title appearances, and Frozen Fours since the realignment. NCHC domination. People just don't like to admit the hockey is better cuz the Gophers are not part of it.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1176
Post on old board: 6912

NCHC is better and a tougher grind. Period. Miami and CC get pounded because the other six are so much better. They are probably kept in the conference because it benefits the others to have doormats. Miami/CC and uw/MSU are a wash. Omaha would beat PSU/OSU in a series. Beyond that you have five teams that made the tournament from the NCHC and three from the Big Ten. Look at titles, title appearances, and Frozen Fours since the realignment. NCHC domination. People just don’t like to admit the hockey is better cuz the Gophers are not part of it.

Bonin…you’re going to get ? by many GPLers for this take…but it’s accurate. Since 2011, NCHC has won 6 NCAA titles, the BIG - a goose egg & since 2015…5 of 6 national championships, a virtual  It may be a one & done format , but in the end it’s what counts & is  remembered.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 556

NCHC is better and a tougher grind. Period. Miami and CC get pounded because the other six are so much better. They are probably kept in the conference because it benefits the others to have doormats. Miami/CC and uw/MSU are a wash. Omaha would beat PSU/OSU in a series. Beyond that you have five teams that made the tournament from the NCHC and three from the Big Ten. Look at titles, title appearances, and Frozen Fours since the realignment. NCHC domination. People just don’t like to admit the hockey is better cuz the Gophers are not part of it.

Except the numbers don't bear that out over the last three years, particularly at the bottom end.  Miami and CC are struggling even in non-conf games, which is why the strong PWR of the top end can't bail them out.

(By the way, alleging that NCHC teams would beat B1G in a series and using a single-game tournament results as your proof, all to attempt to refute the numbers that do provide some objectivity into the equation, is a logical fallacy)

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

(By the way, alleging that NCHC teams would beat B1G in a series and using a single-game tournament results as your proof, all to attempt to refute the numbers that do provide some objectivity into the equation, is a logical fallacy)

I'm not saying that. If the NCAA tournament were best of three series all the way, the NCHC would as good or better as they already do.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Except the numbers don’t bear that out over the last three years, particularly at the bottom end. Miami and CC are struggling even in non-conf games, which is why the strong PWR of the top end can’t bail them out. (By the way, alleging that NCHC teams would beat B1G in a series and using a single-game tournament results as your proof, all to attempt to refute the numbers that do provide some objectivity into the equation, is a logical fallacy)

Picking a small sample size, 3 years is why your numbers are what they are. Regular season results aren’t necessarily indicative of overall results. It’s arguing tomato vs Tumato ? but I can appreciate your loyalty to the BIG conference vs the NACHO ?

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Michigan probably would’ve won it all last year if it was best of three but whatever.

Guessing the NCHC has been better since it’s inception if we look at PWR over that entire period but SUML is right about the last three years, it’s about even. And using the NCAA tourney as a metric is silly because Denver had 5 shots thru two periods of the championship game and had no business winning it but luck and hot goaltending were on their side that day (same with Duluth the year they barely snuck in and won it).

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Yes Michigan and MN would be at or near the top of the NCHC, too. But as a conference, come on.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Trying to use results of 4 years ago to predict future performance isn't helpful.  Even using the COVID year is problematic.

Sure, if we look at post realignment the NCHC has the edge-- we all know that. But if we look since 1960? 1970? That is what the B1G was built on itself-- long term performance of these teams.

Intra-conference over the past three years-- NCHC vs B1G H2H is 1 game in favor of the B1G.  So the trend is that the B1G is on the rise while the NCHC is either stable or having their bottom drop out.  They cannot keep pace with their top end, which isn't surprising given the NCHC institutions and their limited resources compared to B1G schools.

Take UMD out of the NCHC (which was the original discussion point) and the NCHC looks even more different.

The parity in the B1G is becoming far tighter, and while the parity in the NCHC was originally quite impressive, you are seeing two schools separate themselves.  With CC getting a new facility maybe that changes, but MSU has a new coach too, and Bucky is one year removed from a top 10 team and had a ton of early departures-- and that is your B1G bottom end.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

But if we look since 1960? 1970?

Lol

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

You can make an argument the BIG was better in 21-22, (than the NCHC) based on 2 teams making the Frozen Four vs 1 NCHC team, but then Denver wins it. ☝️ And 5 NCHC teams made the tourney 16 vs 3 BIG teams. Also in 20-21 two NCHC schools in the Frozen Four vs zero BIG schools. In 19-20, Covid prevented the defending (2 time) champion team (featuring the  Hobey winner) from taking 3peat shot

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2195
Post on old board: 6782

No matter how you want to spin conference alignments in the west right now it comes down to money and appearances.  When Minnesota and Wisconsin left the WCHA it was because that's where their money comes from...the B1G.  Those other teams left the WCHA to form the NCHC for appearances.  The CCHA reformed to exclude the Alaska schools and Alabama both for money(travel costs) and appearances of a tougher conference.

Neither UMD or UND pass either one of those tests to be able to join the B1G.  They just need to worry about their own little space and the B1G will worry about theirs.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

You can make an argument the BIG was better in 21-22, (than the NCHC) based on 2 teams making the Frozen Four vs 1 NCHC team, but then Denver wins it. ☝️ And 5 NCHC teams made the tourney 16 vs 3 BIG teams. Also in 20-21 two NCHC schools in the Frozen Four vs zero BIG schools. In 19-20, Covid prevented the defending (2 time) champion team (featuring the Hobey winner) from taking 3peat shot

Or you can make a more accurate argument with PWR like SUML did. I agree that the B1G isn’t exponentially better and he did walk that back but his methodology makes more sense than using a smaller sample of results that are more prone to randomness.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 574
Post on old board: 14946

Conferences will have their ebbs and flows. Frankly, this conversation is ridiculous because it is never going to stay in favor of any one entity all the time. If you have been around college hockey long enough, you know how things change.

The problem with the B1G has been it needs to have a few more programs find more year to year quality consistency. Outside of the Gophers and Michigan (well... Mel?), this has largely not happened.

UW has got to get its shit together. That program has been far and away the biggest disappointment in the B1G since the conference started. I don't think anybody would have sanely predicted when all of the conference changes went down that UW would be as sucky as it has been. They were expected to be one of the torch carriers for the conference and they have done a shit job. They have let down the conference more than anybody. Heck, a few people on here were about to anoint them dynasty status the minute they hired their current staff and we have seen how that has turned out. Yes, Gopher fans hate UW but it is ridiculous for that school to have such shitty results. They need an enema over there.

Notre Dame and Ohio State have had their moments. Good schools, good facilities, and the capability of landing talent. Not sure Jackson is the long term solution at Notre Dame though (my feeling). I think some new blood with some fire in the belly would be better.

Penn State has done fine considering it was starting from scratch but it will need to find some consistency to get to that next rung.

We'll see if a change in leadership helps MSU.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Conferences will have their ebbs and flows. Frankly, this conversation is ridiculous because it is never going to stay in favor of any one entity all the time. If you have been around college hockey long enough, you know how things change. The problem with the B1G has been it needs to have a few more programs find more year to year quality consistency. Outside of the Gophers and Michigan (well… Mel?), this has largely not happened. UW has got to get its shit together. That program has been far and away the biggest disappointment in the B1G since the conference started. I don’t think anybody would have sanely predicted when all of the conference changes went down that UW would be as sucky as it has been. They were expected to be one of the torch carriers for the conference and they have done a shit job. They have let down the conference more than anybody. Heck, a few people on here were about to anoint them dynasty status the minute they hired their current staff and we have seen how that has turned out. Yes, Gopher fans hate UW but it is ridiculous for that school to have such shitty results. They need an enema over there. Notre Dame and Ohio State have had their moments. Good schools, good facilities, and the capability of landing talent. Not sure Jackson is the long term solution at Notre Dame though (my feeling). I think some new blood with some fire in the belly would be better. Penn State has done fine considering it was starting from scratch but it will need to find some consistency to get to that next rung. We’ll see if a change in leadership helps MSU.

Agree on Wisconsin, they’ve been an overall BUST since realignment. This conversation started today discussion an 8th (affiliate) BIG school…then went off the rails. Absent an existing school joining the party, I maintain that Arizona State makes the most sense.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

If you let ASU in sounds like you can let UMD in, too, as someone said ASU doesn’t meet the requirements.

Notre Dame isn’t AAU either. But they’re a national name and a P5 equivalent school. That’s the new NCAA and the lens the B1G will be looking through. They (ASU) fit the profile better than anyone else except maybe BC, as Army and Air Force aren’t in the table.

When the BiG went through the first major expansion, Nebraska didn't meet any of the academic requirements, and yet...

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Well, I know people want to point to playing in warm weather on a campus full of hot chicks as things that will attract good players, but if that really was a big factor.

Aside from another BIG school (that currently doesn’t have a D1 hockey program) starting one, I think Arizona State would make a good 8th (affiliate) team in the conference. Give it some time…eventually the perk of playing D1 hockey in the desert will pay off (at) Arizona State U and they will field a very competitive team. ☝️

We'll have to see.  As I said in that part of the sentence you chopped off in the quote, I'm still convinced it should have happened already with all the things Powers has on top of playing in the desert.  I'll agree that they probably won't be UAH 2.0 or, more locally, NAU 2.0 because ASU has Pac-12 resources, but at the same time, ASU has Pac-12 resources.

If ASU really is sitting on a golden goose, the only real handicap I can see that might explain their slower rise compared to that of PSU (who didn't have the desert, portal, Pac-12, etc) is that Powers doesn't have Guy Gadowsky's resume, but I keep being told that's unimportant for reasons still unknown to me.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7384

NCHC has been better since realignment but the B1G is a helluva conference and closing the gap quickly.

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 515
Post on old board: 7714

Its already difficult learning to navigate the new site, but to have to scroll through post after post of dumb conference bantering....tough to visit here.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Its already difficult learning to navigate the new site, but to have to scroll through post after post of dumb conference bantering….tough to visit here.

Well…that’s YOUR opinion…everybody's got one of those…like a body part I won’t mention. ??

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Minnesota Duluth received a late commitment for the 2022-23 season on Wednesday from the USA Hockey National Team Development Program’s Cole Spicer, a 17-year-old center and potential 2022 NHL Draft prospect.Spicer just completed his second season with the NTDP playing alongside another incoming UMD freshman forward, Isaac Howard. Spicer finished with 20 goals and 19 assists in 58 games, including three goals and two assists playing with Howard on the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team at the 2022 IIHF U18 Men’s World Championship in Germany. Spicer called Howard “one of my best friends” having played with him prior to joining the NTDP. He’s excited to continue playing with Howard in Duluth this fall. “Him and I have gotten very close over the last couple years, he’s always joking around and egging me on,” Spicer said. “We’ve been such good friends the last couple years. Going to college with him, playing with him is a dream come true.”                                                                         Spicer said the Bulldogs, with all their history, were originally among his top two choices when he originally committed to North Dakota as a freshman at Grand Forks Central High School.

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Its already difficult learning to navigate the new site, but to have to scroll through post after post of dumb conference bantering….tough to visit here.

I especially miss the ignore feature now that Bonin and Chill Kessel account for 80% of all posts.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

We could always steer the discussion in another direction, though the only news story this week still worth talking about is the puzzling Mel Pearson situation and we're waiting for the next nugget to drop so we can dissect it.  Michigan certainly is being suspiciously tightlipped about this and it'd be both ironic and fitting if we had to submit a FOIA request after all this is done just to find out what the heck is going on.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 523

If you let ASU in sounds like you can let UMD in, too, as someone said ASU doesn’t meet the requirements.

Notre Dame isn’t AAU either. But they’re a national name and a P5 equivalent school. That’s the new NCAA and the lens the B1G will be looking through. They (ASU) fit the profile better than anyone else except maybe BC, as Army and Air Force aren’t in the table.

When the BiG went through the first major expansion, Nebraska didn’t meet any of the academic requirements, and yet…

Nebraska was an AAU member when they joined the B1G Ten.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5591
Post on old board: 16243

JoeGopher wrote:When the BiG went through the first major expansion, Nebraska didn’t meet any of the academic requirements, and yet…

Nebraska was an AAU member when they joined the B1G Ten.

If I recall Nebraska (Lincoln) lost their AAU status cause it had to do with their medical school being moved to Nebraska (Omaha).

Keep your stick on the ice...

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Well, I know people want to point to playing in warm weather on a campus full of hot chicks as things that will attract good players, but if that really was a big factor.

Aside from another BIG school (that currently doesn’t have a D1 hockey program) starting one, I think Arizona State would make a good 8th (affiliate) team in the conference. Give it some time…eventually the perk of playing D1 hockey in the desert will pay off (at) Arizona State U and they will field a very competitive team. ☝️

We’ll have to see. As I said in that part of the sentence you chopped off in the quote, I’m still convinced it should have happened already with all the things Powers has on top of playing in the desert. I’ll agree that they probably won’t be UAH 2.0 or, more locally, NAU 2.0 because ASU has Pac-12 resources, but at the same time, ASU has Pac-12 resources.
If ASU really is sitting on a golden goose, the only real handicap I can see that might explain their slower rise compared to that of PSU (who didn’t have the desert, portal, Pac-12, etc) is that Powers doesn’t have Guy Gadowsky’s resume, but I keep being told that’s unimportant for reasons still unknown to me.

That, and they were playing in a rink smaller than Roseville Ice Arena for their first few years. Even with the weather, women, and wine, it's still tough to recruit a NHL-track player when your facilities are clearly third rate. We will see what happens soon with their new rink.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

Aside from another BIG school (that currently doesn’t have a D1 hockey program) starting one, I think Arizona State would make a good 8th (affiliate) team in the conference. Give it some time…eventually the perk of playing D1 hockey in the desert will pay off (at) Arizona State U and they will field a very competitive team.

We’ll have to see. As I said in that part of the sentence you chopped off in the quote, I’m still convinced it should have happened already with all the things Powers has on top of playing in the desert. I’ll agree that they probably won’t be UAH 2.0 or, more locally, NAU 2.0 because ASU has Pac-12 resources, but at the same time, ASU has Pac-12 resources. If ASU really is sitting on a golden goose, the only real handicap I can see that might explain their slower rise compared to that of PSU (who didn’t have the desert, portal, Pac-12, etc) is that Powers doesn’t have Guy Gadowsky’s resume, but I keep being told that’s unimportant for reasons still unknown to me.

That, and they were playing in a rink smaller than Roseville Ice Arena for their first few years. Even with the weather, women, and wine, it’s still tough to recruit a NHL-track player when your facilities are clearly third rate. We will see what happens soon with their new rink.

It is still amazing to me the new ASU rink will host NHL home games. 5,000 seats.  The North Stars left Minnesota in the early 90's and averaged 11,000+ tickets sold (except the year they went to the Stanley Cup Final and averaged just under 8,000 tickets sold).

https://news.asu.edu/20220210-university-news-asu-arena-home-ice-arizona-coyotes

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=6876

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12489
Post on old board: 9626

People in Kato can rest a little easier about Hastings leaving for a college job now that the big ones are filled (minus the Michigan situation). Schlossman did say on a podcast that maybe he may get a look from a few NHL teams.

https://twitter.com/GlobeMahoney/status/1522234846474641408

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

As expected, the BADgers are having attendance issues as well poor performance on the ice.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1522229562763010049

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1994

Hastings may get a look by some NHL teams. But can he relate to those younger players?

ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 199

With Granato’s extension through 2027 he isnt taking the blame.  Stroebel resigned so he was the fall guy.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Nate Leaman signs extension with Providence. Greg Brown, a former BC assistant and current head coach with the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the USHL is now the front runner.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Brody Lamb on line 1

Sammy Walker on line 2

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

As expected after Leaman dropped out.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1522633263294128135

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1524818841628459009

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Badgers bringing back Andy Brandt (current Associate HC at St. Norbert's) from their 2006 team to replace Strobel.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1526264027495772161?s=20&t=uUgyRYFcEZJtwwU-8IVSbw

Maybe Robbie Earl can give lessons too.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Looks like they thought a few more people would show up.

https://twitter.com/thenchc/status/1526252863382495234?s=21

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Augustana to CCHA confirmed

Building a nice mix for the future and many road trip opportunities for fans.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

tDon talks about the "review" and all things CCHA

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1527804017342021633

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/nchc/ncaa-grants-two-college-hockey-changes

The NCAA has granted two changes that men's and women's college hockey coaches and commissioners have requested.

First, the NCAA moved up the date for the first allowable full-time practices.

In the past, full-time practices — 20 hours a week — often didn't open until about the time teams were playing their preseason exhibition games.

Now, they'll open a week earlier.

Teams will still have limited hours prior to the opening of full-time practices.

The second change allows schools to schedule other NCAA colleges in exhibition games — something that was granted temporarily during the coronavirus pandemic. It will now become permanent.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6926
Post on old board: 18942

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6926
Post on old board: 18942

I swear that part wasn't there when I hit reply.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Raboin hired his 1st assistant.

https://twitter.com/AugieMHockey/status/1529598419815305221

Melvin
(@melvin)
Rep Pts: 3

Snowcool08 wrote...

Looks like they thought a few more people would show up.

We’re excited to officially introduce our new #NCHChockey Commissioner, Heather Weems, at a press conference at @XcelEnergyCtr pic.twitter.com/9fiPJ4QI4o— The NCHC (@TheNCHC) May 16, 2022

I think this is an underwhelming pick to be commissioner of the NCHC.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Tech is hosting this years GLI in Grand Rapids. Michigan is not part of it this year, so Mel will have to find another team to avoid on its schedule instead of Western.

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/1534550889179910144

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ConnorEaregood/status/1534651125604966401

Page 8 / 11