536 Posts
67 Users
5 Likes
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

I somewhat miss the days when 'Jan Brady' was a regular talking point.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

USHL HC makes more than Minnesota D1 assistant coach?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12646
Post on old board: 9626

Per Schlossman WMU coach in the running for Sparty job.

Western Michigan coach Pat Ferschweiler is among the candidates to be the next head coach at Michigan State, which parted ways with Danton Cole last month.

Ferschweiler was a highly successful recruiter at Western Michigan under coach Andy Murray. This year, in his first season as the head coach, Ferschweiler led the Broncos to their first NCAA tournament victory in program history

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

USHL HC makes more than Minnesota D1 assistant coach?

Something goofy is going on with the Fargo franchise. Last year one of the Lamoreaux kids quit as head coach. They then bring in a guy who coached in the NAHL and was like 50-4 last year with his NAHL team. He coached Fargo for 1 year and they made the playoffs, but they fired him after 1 year. Seems odd, but Cary Eades is the Fargo GM, so that may be part of it.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ethan_sears/status/1520206106034847744

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Brisson has now officially signed

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Brisson has now officially signed

He had signed an ATO with Vegas AHL team after he left Michigan for salary cap reasons.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Then I should have been more specific. He has now signed an entry level contract with Vegas.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

I can't help but wonder if any of these guys left because of the uncertainty around Mel Pearson.  I know at least some of them stayed a year longer than they normally would have because of COVID, but not every blue chipper bolts after a year.

Speaking of which, just over 3 hours left on Mel's contract, assuming it expires midnight Eastern Time.  Unless they've quietly extended him (which seems unlikely), Michigan seems keen on letting him go with as little media attention as possible.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

They were all gone regardless.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

I know some people that would likely have been tipped off if an extension had been reached behind closed doors and they have no indication that is the case. It sure seems like the Michigan job will be open in about 3 hours.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7743
Post on old board: 35040

I can’t help but wonder if any of these guys left because of the uncertainty around Mel Pearson. I know at least some of them stayed a year longer than they normally would have because of COVID, but not every blue chipper bolts after a year. Speaking of which, just over 3 hours left on Mel’s contract, assuming it expires midnight Eastern Time. Unless they’ve quietly extended him (which seems unlikely), Michigan seems keen on letting him go with as little media attention as possible.

And just like that...poof, he's gone.

And Like That...He'S Gone GIF

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

Is it possible that Michigan doctors did this for Mel's safety?

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Maybe the insane recruiting is going to make the higher ups look past the bad things?

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1520756699845513217

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

So, is Mel's punishment (wink wink) from the higher ups in the Michigan Athletic Dept just letting him twist in the wind for a few days and then giving him a 1 or 2 year deal as "punishment" or are they still going to part ways with him? The longer it drags out, I sense that they will re-sign him but I hope I'm wrong.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Isn't he technically not their coach as his contract expired? I understand they could obviously sign him to a new one at any point, but technically there isn't a coach, is there?

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1246
Post on old board: 5547

Swedes stun USA
by Derek O'Brien<span class="s-separator">|</span>01 MAY 2022
PHOTO: CHRIS TANOUYE/HHOF-IIHF IMAGES
Sweden beat USA 6-4 today in under 18 championship, USA out shot Sweden 54-15

<section class="m-text is-full" data-fwk-module="Text">

<p lang="en-US">They knew they were underdogs going into the game and came up with a monumental effort in the final. Before a packed house at Fanatec Arena in Landshut, Germany, Sweden defeated the USA 6-4 to win the 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship. Noah Ostlund and Liam Ohgren each scored twice in the winning effort, as did U.S. captain Rutger McGroarty.The Americans outshot Sweden 51-15 but Hugo Havelid, the goaltender on the tournament all-star team, came up with a monster game just 24 hours after styming Finland in the semi-finals.</p>
<p lang="en-US">The USA came storming out of the gate, dominated the early minutes and scored the first goal at 2:24 when Devin Kaplan made a cross-ice pass to Ryan Leonard, who connected on the one-timer.</p>
<p lang="en-US">The Swedes had a chance to tie it on a power play but the best scoring chance went to the Americans when Kaplan got a shorthanded breakaway but was stopped by Havelid.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Sweden then struck twice just over a minute apart to tie it and take the lead. Called Odelius forced a turnover at the U.S. blueline and found Oskar Pettersson, who beat Augustine off the rush high to the blocker side. Then they went ahead on a brilliant individual effort from Ostlund.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Starting the play deep in his own zone, Ostlund made a pass out from the corner and then got on his horse, skated up ice and got the puck back just inside the attacking blueline, taking a pass from Jonathan Lekkerimaki. Ostlund then split the U.S. defence and then sent a backhander over Augustine’s glove.</p>
<p lang="en-US">But with 4:04 to play in the period, the Americans tied it on a goal Havelid might like back. Frank Nazar picked up the puck at his own blueline and carried it all the way, deep enough that it looked like he had no angle, then took a shot from a bad angle that beat the Swedish goalie under the arm.</p>
<p lang="en-US">In a four-minute span in the last half of the second period, a combination of missed opportunities and a string of penalties put the Americans down by a pair of goals.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Cruz Lucius made a long breakaway pass to McGroarty, who tried to go five-hole on Havelid but was stopped. Less than a minute later, with Sweden on the power play, Charlie Stramel got a shorthanded breakaway and missed the net. Later on the same power play, Liam Ohgren ripped a shot from the faceoff circle through Augustine’s legs to put Sweden back in front with 8:01 left in the middle frame.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Then penalties to Nazar and Cutter Gauthier 53 seconds apart put Sweden up by two men and they cashed in again. First Ostlund tried to shoot backhand through his legs but was denied. Then after shot attempts by Pettersson and Mattias Havelid were stopped, Augustine was leaning the wrong way and Ostlund had a clear lane to pot his second of the game on the rebound with 4:46 to go.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Just 49 seconds later, the USA came back to within one while the teams were skating 4-on-4, with McGroarty going top corner on a one-time set-up by Logan Cooley.</p>
<p lang="en-US">Early in the third period it was the Americans who got a couple of overlapping power plays and they got some zone time and some looks, but the Swedish penalty killing was solid and Havelid was in the zone. The Americans continued to press back at even strength, still just a goal away from tying it, but the fifth Swedish goal midway through the final period put them in a precarious spot.</p>
<p lang="en-US">On the rush, Ohgren and Lekkerimaki worked a beautiful give-and-go, with Ohgren finishing with a backhand deke to make it 5-3 with 10:19 to play.</p>
<p lang="en-US">When the USA went back to the power play with 3:30 left, Adam Nightingale pulled Augustine for a sixth attacker and a two-man numerical advantage and it paid off. McGroarty had one goal already but he had also been robbed by Havelid a couple of times. This time, Jimmy Snuggerud found him for the one-timer from right in front that went through the Swedish goalie.</p>
<p lang="en-US">But they came no closer. Lekkerimaki iced it with 31.9 seconds left into the empty U.S. net. Chasing Lekkerimaki in vain was McGroarty, diving in vain.</p>

</section>

Aloha!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Mel just posted this. He doesn't act like he is going anywhere and seems to be trolling.

https://twitter.com/CoachPearsonUM/status/1521141506043744256

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

He's probably back then. Whatever. It is what it is. They will be very good this year.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

There is a semifinalist trophy? Lame.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

He will continue to be the undisputed, most hated coach in college hockey.  Every sport needs a villain and he is it.

Also, where is the GLI "dodging opponents" trophy?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

Gophers got one this year too.  Pretty sure it's on a shelf somewhere, but they sure don't display the things.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7580

I heard Michigan had a trophy made for winning on the third Friday in November.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

What a smug little man…

Keep your stick on the ice...

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Isn’t he technically not their coach as his contract expired? I understand they could obviously sign him to a new one at any point, but technically there isn’t a coach, is there?

He doesn't have to have a contract.  It just means either party could end the employment at any time without penalty.

I want to say either Woog or Lucia worked as the coach and the U for a while without a contract.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10645
Post on old board: 21741

What a smug little man…

Which makes him the perfect fit for u-mi.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

He will continue to be the undisputed, most hated coach in college hockey. Every sport needs a villain and he is it. Also, where is the GLI “dodging opponents” trophy?

It's the 3rd place trophy.  They have been giving that out to the losing semi-finalists since 1990.  The 3rd place game ended after 1989 when Maine and Michigan State played essentially a WWE style game.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

It’s the 3rd place trophy. They have been giving that out to the losing semi-finalists since 1990. The 3rd place game ended after 1989 when Maine and Michigan State played essentially a WWE style game.

Semifinalist <> 3rd place

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

What a smug little man…

Its times like this where I feel it’s necessary to bring out this stat.

Accomplishments since joining the B1G:

Gophers: 5 conference titles, 2 tournament titles

Michigan: 2 tournament titles

They are simply not as good as they think they are.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

Had to delete a post in there.... something was really goofy with the code or how it was being read by the browser.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Just add ASU to the B1G now.

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1521246552764919811

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Shocker. Just add UMD.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

Shocker. Just add UMD.

Their education standards do not align with the BigTen.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Shocker. Just add UMD.

Are those documented somewhere?

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

Wasn’t there a rumor summer of 2020 that the B1G was looking to add an existing blue blood program to the conference? I think it was a Gopher Illustrated article that predicted one of Denver, North Dakota, or UMD would be added to the B1G. I know it sounds far fetched and that was only two times I heard that rumor BUT it was the same guy who correctly called Notre Dame joining the B1G.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Seems vaguely familiar but feels like it was before that and no momentum behind the rumor lately. If UMD doesn't meet academic standards of course UND never would.

DU would be very cool along with ASU. That's just a dream though. And then you're back at an odd number.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Shocker. Just add UMD.

Normally Big Ten members need to be AAU members.  Not sure how that works for hockey "guests" but I do believe Notre Dame is in the AAU.  Nebraska was in the AAU when they joined but later got kicked out.

ASU is not even AAU (due to low selectivity) and UMD is nowhere near AAU.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10645
Post on old board: 21741

Shocker. Just add UMD.

I don't think Maryland is considering adding hockey.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

1. Wasn’t there a rumor summer of 2020 that the B1G was looking to add an existing blue blood program to the conference? I think it was a Gopher Illustrated article that predicted one of Denver, North Dakota, or UMD would be added to the B1G. I know it sounds far fetched and that was only two times I heard that rumor BUT it was the same guy who correctly called Notre Dame joining the B1G.

Awhile back this year I posted some UND fans demands what UND should ask to join the BIG. It was pretty funny. I’m trying to find it and repost.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Normally Big Ten members need to be AAU members. Not sure how that works for hockey “guests” but I do believe Notre Dame is in the AAU. Nebraska was in the AAU when they joined but later got kicked out. ASU is not even AAU (due to low selectivity) and UMD is nowhere near AAU.

Notre Dame is not in the AAU. John Hopkins (lacrosse) is an AAU as well. If I recall Nebraska was dismissed when Nebraska moved there medical school to Omaha. I could be wrong.

Though for “guest” members I would bet it has to do with other education factors. As well as what you can bring to the BIG, not what the BIG can do for you. UMD and especially UND brings nothing to the table for the BIG.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Isn’t he technically not their coach as his contract expired? I understand they could obviously sign him to a new one at any point, but technically there isn’t a coach, is there?

He doesn’t have to have a contract. It just means either party could end the employment at any time without penalty. I want to say either Woog or Lucia worked as the coach and the U for a while without a contract.

Does he still get paid?

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

I just figured UMD would be the best bet considering they're part of the U of M system, and come on, it's a niche sport the Big Ten doesn't really care about. There would be zero detriment to the Big Ten brand to have the Bulldogs in the conference for hockey.

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

Shocker. Just add UMD.

Normally Big Ten members need to be AAU members. Not sure how that works for hockey “guests” but I do believe Notre Dame is in the AAU. Nebraska was in the AAU when they joined but later got kicked out. ASU is not even AAU (due to low selectivity) and UMD is nowhere near AAU.

I might be in the minority here but I have zero interest in ASU even if they were qualified. Garbage program.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Gophers got one this year too. Pretty sure it’s on a shelf somewhere, but they sure don’t display the things.

There's a pair of simple display cases on the concourse, one by the ATM and one by the East elevator, that hold the silver (runner up) and bronze (3rd place/semifinalist) trophies.  Though I don't know if they've been putting the recent ones in there.

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

Gophers got one this year too. Pretty sure it’s on a shelf somewhere, but they sure don’t display the things.

There’s a pair of simple display cases on the concourse, one by the ATM and one by the East elevator, that hold the silver (runner up) and bronze (3rd place/semifinalist) trophies. Though I don’t know if they’ve been putting the recent ones in there.

They haven't put any new ones in those cases for 15+ years at the least.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

There’s a pair of simple display cases on the concourse, one by the ATM and one by the East elevator, that hold the silver (runner up) and bronze (3rd place/semifinalist) trophies. Though I don’t know if they’ve been putting the recent ones in there.

They haven’t put any new ones in those cases for 15+ years at the least.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing any trophies of the current design in there the last time I walked by them.

Though now that I think of it, par for the course is to have the trophy sit in the office, so the one from Boston is probably there now.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/1521258055769505792

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Huh.  I get that MSU likes hiring alums more than we do, but aside from the silver medal, his resume doesn't really impress me, especially when Danton Cole was also with the NTDP when he was hired.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

I think a monkey could have led that roster to silver.

Page 6 / 11