536 Posts
67 Users
5 Likes
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5635
Post on old board: 16243

Not looking good for good ol’ Mel at the “cesspool of the east”...

Keep your stick on the ice...

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 615
Post on old board: 14946

Pearson sullied their program with this stuff but it certainly isn't too far gone to fix by removing him.

The damage they would incur if he stayed is not something they can afford.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626

How Mel hasn't been canned yet is truly amazing. There must be some interesting behind the scenes jockeying going on or a big time donor who is a Mel backer is holding Michigan hostage.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

The board of regents has been busy finding a new President for the University.  With Mel's contract having run out, and if they have someone lined up as a replacement already, there likely isn't that much of a rush in their minds.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Steve MN wrote...

The board of regents has been busy finding a new President for the University.  With Mel’s contract having run out, and if they have someone lined up as a replacement already, there likely isn’t that much of a rush in their minds.

Considering the late timing, if they do get rid of Mel, I have to assume Muckalt is the guy....unless Muckalt is also part of the problems.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Here is another guy to follow on twitter in regards to the Michigan stuff. He works for the student newspaper and has been all over this since day 1.

A few highlights--

Strauss Mann was heavily involved in trying to be a voice for the players, and Mel basically cut him.

Goalie coach Steve Shields was fired and Mel filed a police report against him.

https://twitter.com/ConnorEaregood/status/1554507875652980740

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5306
Post on old board: 15786

Vegoe and I have bumped in to Connor a few times this past season. Good kid and covers the team very well!

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I can't tell if I am more surprised Mel is still head coach of Michigan or that they continue to get high end recruits.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5306
Post on old board: 15786

I grabbed the full report just in case it goes away from the site it was hosted on...

585240994-Hockey-Report

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Fighting food poisoning right now, so my reading comprehension is far from 100%, but I hadn't realized that part of the intrigue was surrounding Strauss Mann.  Even though LaFontaine was leaving as Mann arrived, it does make me wonder if Laffer saw early signs of trouble and left in part because of that.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

Wow looks like the other shoe is dropping with Mel. Shouldn’t be too long before he’s canned. All the more reason to hate Michigan.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

LaFontaine was legit bad at Michigan his second year and they had a deep pipeline at that position.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

I knew that part of it; we were lucky he turned out to be so dominant a couple of seasons ago.  Geez, I was only thinking out loud if there was more than one factor since these things don't happen in vacuums.  :unsure:

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7672
Post on old board: 35040

frozen4champs wrote...

How Mel hasn’t been canned yet is truly amazing. There must be some interesting behind the scenes jockeying going on or a big time donor who is a Mel backer is holding Michigan hostage.

IIRC, he isn't under contract, so no canning involved?

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Well, "canned" in that his expired contract isn't retroactively extended.  But we'll have to see which way Michigan goes with this report.

Given the limited scope of the investigation, it does imply that they were at least somewhat honest in that WilmerHale was only hired for this since it related to their previous investigation into Robert Anderson.  I'm still trying to process a lot of the information, so I can't decide if it would have been better or worse for Mel had this investigation been handled internally.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The Rube wrote...
frozen4champs wrote…

How Mel hasn’t been canned yet is truly amazing. There must be some interesting behind the scenes jockeying going on or a big time donor who is a Mel backer is holding Michigan hostage.

IIRC, he isn’t under contract, so no canning involved?

You can call it semantics I guess. He is still showing up for work as an employee of Michigan and is still getting paid under the terms of his old contract. Maybe he is just being like George Costanza and is just showing up acting like nothing has happened. So technically,  if Michigan decides not to offer Mel a new contract, both sides can say he wasn't canned, but we all know he was canned. B-)

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

frozen4champs wrote...
The Rube wrote…
frozen4champs wrote…

IIRC, he isn’t under contract, so no canning involved?

You can call it semantics I guess. He is still showing up for work as an employee of Michigan and is still getting paid under the terms of his old contract. Maybe he is just being like George Costanza and is just showing up acting like nothing has happened. So technically,  if Michigan decides not to offer Mel a new contract, both sides can say he wasn’t canned, but we all know he was canned. B-)

"Apparently what happened was, he was laid off 3 months ago, and no one ever told him about it, but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck"
"So, we just went ahead and fixed the glitch"

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 573

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

There’s no way he isn’t removed…right?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

There’s no way he isn’t removed…right?

Not saying he won't, but I would love to be on staff at Michigan if he isn't. Pretty much have a 'get out of jail' pass.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Mel 2.0 next week... 😉

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

If all things were equal, I would expect Mel to be gone, but as others have noted earlier in this thread, winning sometimes gives you more slack than you deserve, so I doubt termination is the only penalty on the table in this case.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7239
Post on old board: 10120

Broz is wearing his Denver gear at da beauty league.  I don’t think there’s any love lost with MN.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

https://twitter.com/teamech/status/1555191887140724738?s=21&t=O1KBS0Y6vfYdBesWGTv77w

Needs to be on espn something so people can watch

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1555246709088854017

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

Don’t Mel and the AD answer to the President of the university and the Board of Regents? Isn’t that like an employee telling their boss that they won’t let their boss fire them? Or am I over simplifying it?

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 573

Rau4SkiUMah wrote...

Don’t Mel and the AD answer to the President of the university and the Board of Regents? Isn’t that like an employee telling their boss that they won’t let their boss fire them? Or am I over simplifying it?

You are forgetting we are talking about Michigan here.  The institution exists because of the football team and the athletic department. At least, that is the way they seem to think.

Manuel is playing with fire here...

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

They have an interm president who doesn't seem to have any power whatsoever and the new one starts Oct 15.  Manuel seems to be pulling a power play here and he better watch his back or he's going to go down with this ship too if he's not careful.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

Minnesota Duluth assistant coach Plante leaving Bulldogs for same job with NHL’s Blackhawks

And

NCAA adopts new recommendations allowing schools to provide added benefits for student-athletes

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors on Wednesday adopted the first group of transformation committee recommendations aimed at allowing schools to provide more benefits to student-athletes.

While generally supportive of elements of the transfer package, the board took no action on changes to transfer rules during the meeting.

Schools now are empowered to support student-athletes in a variety of ways without asking for waivers, including providing support needed for a student-athlete’s personal health, safety and well-being, paying for items to support a student’s academic pursuits, purchasing insurance of various types (including loss-of-value and critical injury), and funding participation in elite-level training, tryouts and competition.

The benefits proposal is effective immediately.

The board agreed to revisit the transfer package after the transformation committee addresses issues that have been raised by the Division I membership, including the Division I student-athlete advisory committee and Division I council.

Council members last month endorsed several transformation committee recommendations, including the transfer rule changes, updates to the infractions process and the benefits package.

The board requested additional consideration of the concepts related to transfer, particularly the concept that would allow for immediate eligibility after more than one transfer. The concept would create an “academic eligibility exception” that requires student-athletes to be academically eligible at both the school they are leaving and the one to which they are going in order to compete immediately after transferring. This would ensure a student-athlete was on track to earn a degree at the former school and is bringing enough credit to the new school to stay on track to graduate on time/within five years.

The transfer package also would implement transfer portal “entry windows,” or periods of time in which student-athletes must provide their school with written notification of transfer to be eligible to compete immediately the following academic year.

The Division I SAAC raised concerns about the transfer windows, calling them unnecessarily restrictive and requesting additional study, including the potential addition of a fall window for spring sport student-athletes.

Under the proposed transfer package, students in a winter or spring sport could provide written notification of transfer the day after NCAA championship selections in that sport for 60 calendar days. In fall sports, two separate windows would provide a total of 60 calendar days. The first window would be 45 days beginning the day following championship selection, and the second would be from May 1 to May 15. Reasonable accommodations will be made for participants in the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision championship games.

Additionally, schools that accept four-year transfer students receiving financial aid would be required to provide financial aid to the student-athlete through the completion of the student’s five-year period of eligibility or undergraduate graduation, whichever comes first, unless the student transfers again or engages in professional athletics opportunities. The student would continue to count against financial aid limits unless the student is medically disqualified, exhausts eligibility, transfers or engages in professional athletics opportunities.

The board meets next Aug. 31 to consider the transfer package, as well as proposed changes to improve the infractions process.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Manuel wanting to extend sheds more light on Mel's insolence over the past several months if the latter believed the prior was protecting him.  Retweeting this fond memory hours after his superiors met only reinforces that thought.

https://twitter.com/CoachPearsonUM/status/1554973008007249921

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

My favorite comment of all of the great comments on his tweet was “You’re very weird”. Because that is so true lol. Not only is he in the situation he’s in because he sounds like a real piece of work. He’s also just tweeting his way through it in what might be one of the most tone deaf moments in recent sports memory. Which there are a lot of btw. It’s crazy how no one is sticking up for him and he and the AD are insisting that he stays. Put aside for a moment, if that’s even possible, all of the valid reasons he should be fired. At this point why does he want to stay at a program where it’s clear no one likes him. This is all so strange.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/ConnorEaregood/status/1555363921871134722

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Lots of he said, she said, covering for someone, throwing under the bus, lies or truth... It's an unhealthy environment. Thank goodness it's Michigan's nightmare and Minnesota's.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1285

thinkbui wrote...

Manuel wanting to extend sheds more light on Mel’s insolence over the past several months if the latter believed the prior was protecting him.  Retweeting this fond memory hours after his superiors met only reinforces that thought.

This rain tonight is reminding me of another watery event.
〽️GoBlue??? https://t.co/SOphYJJyvS — Mel Pearson (@CoachPearsonUM) August 3, 2022

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/super-bowl-gatorade-shower-became-tradition-128625/

You know the ice bath shower tradition wasn't born out of respect right?

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Eric Vegoe wrote...
thinkbui wrote…

Manuel wanting to extend sheds more light on Mel’s insolence over the past several months if the latter believed the prior was protecting him.  Retweeting this fond memory hours after his superiors met only reinforces that thought.

This rain tonight is reminding me of another watery event.
〽️GoBlue??? https://t.co/SOphYJJyvS — Mel Pearson (@CoachPearsonUM) August 3, 2022

How the Super Bowl Gatorade Shower Became Tradition Over 30 Years Ago

You know the ice bath shower tradition wasn’t born out of respect right?

No (you learn something new everyday), but the lack of respect I was referring to was Mel thumbing his nose at the investigation on Twitter and elsewhere, not the friction between him and his players.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Mel is gone. It’s official

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Mel is gone. It’s official

Mel Pearson no longer Michigan Wolverines's hockey coach (detroitnews.com)

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

What does this do for any of the players now signing pro contracts and not having to deal with a new coach?

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

It might blow over by Monday, but Michigan fans are pretty PO'd right now that no known action was taken besides at least one attempt to extend Mel since the report was completed in May and it took the report being leaked for them to finally let him go.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Garrett Wait’s hockey career appears to be over after an off season knee injury while training.  UMass has declared him medically ineligible to play this year.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/hockey-east-mens/former-gopher-garrett-waits-career-may-be-over-after-suffering-serious-off-season-injury

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10525
Post on old board: 21741

Poor kid, that really stinks.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

Yeah that is a horrible way for it to end.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Jup captured the Gophers Hockey Hater Mike Giibbons post going after Steve Shields before it was taken down.  Gibbons reputation of being a jerk hasn't changed.

https://twitter.com/GopherPuckLive/status/1555658419457196034

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

So if say Luke Hughes wasn’t pleased with the direction at Michigan could he in theory still transfer without sitting out a year or is it too late?

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this Gibbons fellow at all.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...

I’m not sure I’m familiar with this Gibbons fellow at all.

Was a longtime Jan Brady assistant who is currently an assistant with BSU. Has never shied away from voicing his hatred for the Gophers. Not Sure what brought that feeling, but maybe he wasn't recruited by the Gophers when he was in high school and had to settle on playing for Bemidji.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

YoungEagle wrote...

So if say Luke Hughes wasn’t pleased with the direction at Michigan could he in theory still transfer without sitting out a year or is it too late?

I'd be surprised if he did, but I believe he can transfer immediately.  Though CHN's breakdown on potential rules changes this offseason mentions a requirement that the destination school must still be enrolling for fall semester and I haven't even thought about enrollment periods in years.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

thinkbui wrote...

It might blow over by Monday, but Michigan fans are pretty PO’d right now that no known action was taken besides at least one attempt to extend Mel since the report was completed in May and it took the report being leaked for them to finally let him go

will they get Red Berenson to unretire and become coach again?

Aloha!

Page 10 / 11