67 Users
5 Likes
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7681
Post on old board: 35040

How IS tMel Watch?

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Doesn't surprise me.

Though it wasn't that look ago there was a lot of talk of frustration that these holiday tournaments were difficult to find teams for and usually were against no-name opponents. A bit hard to believe we're seeing someone pull out of their own tournament for the exact opposite problem.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

https://twitter.com/puckpreps/status/1535327444118360065?s=21&t=DCDepIchxcCebbIY_AuL8g

Not an extremely notable player, but still an NTDP guy.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12568
Post on old board: 9626

:sweeping:

https://twitter.com/ryanzuke/status/1537788606210793474

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Is this guy taking the bullet for Mel?

https://twitter.com/ryanzuke/status/1539314094448250883

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5643
Post on old board: 16243

Is the shimmy about to hit the fan in Ann Arbor?!?!?!

Another article… This one from the ‘Michigan Daily’.

https://www.michigandaily.com/ice-hockey/michigan-hockey-administrator-retires-during-misconduct-investigation/?fbclid=IwAR3zvYSeEp6hrEPZ2ZkS9gPyUjiCcpR0Vl126yjX1pckshlsGfS035p6r1Y&fs=e&s=cl

Keep your stick on the ice...

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 573

UST arena proposal progresses to public hearing, but there appear to be a lot of questions.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/ccha/proposed-st-thomas-hockey-arena-other-facilities-at-highland-bridge-site-faces-public-hearing

I will illustrate mine quickly from UST's perspective:

A 4500 seat arena likely means around 4000 seats sold per game, times 18 home dates, times $35/ticket = $2.5M. That is a pretty rosy picture for them. We have complained about Gopher ticket prices to watch Michigan and Penn State, and could UST get that to play Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State?

But given that they likely need around $4-5M to run both men's and women's hockey, there is a pretty big shortfall there. How will that be made up?

A second sheet of ice is likely to be a drain also, given that Schultz Arena and Drake are within about 2 miles also, and neither are full up.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

SkiUMahLaw wrote...

UST arena proposal progresses to public hearing, but there appear to be a lot of questions.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/ccha/proposed-st-thomas-hockey-arena-other-facilities-at-highland-bridge-site-faces-public-hearing
/a>

I will illustrate mine quickly from UST’s perspective:

A 4500 seat arena likely means around 4000 seats sold per game, times 18 home dates, times $35/ticket = $2.5M. That is a pretty rosy picture for them. We have complained about Gopher ticket prices to watch Michigan and Penn State, and could UST get that to play Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State?

But given that they likely need around $4-5M to run both men’s and women’s hockey, there is a pretty big shortfall there. How will that be made up?

A second sheet of ice is likely to be a drain also, given that Schultz Arena and Drake are within about 2 miles also, and neither are full up.

Wisconsin has attendance issues at $24 per ticket.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

Bertogliat wrote...
SkiUMahLaw wrote…

Wisconsin has attendance issues at $24 per ticket.

Their W/L record must have something to do with it.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I will throw a log on the speculation fire--- Wiseman played for Michigan and was an assistant for them from 2012-2019.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1542593492748312586

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/mikemorrealeNHL/status/1544801665362153472

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/YostBuilt/status/1544731555372961792

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

Too bad half the Broncos team signed. They’re gonna get pounded lol

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

UST has pulled the hockey arena from their proposed Highland site, saying it is prohibitively expensive to build an arena there.  UST is still attempting to build baseball and softball in Highland, however.

Does this mean UST will look to build a hockey arena where their baseball field currently stands?

BetterDeadThenRed
(@betterdeadthenred)
Rep Pts: 17

SkiUMahLaw wrote...

UST has pulled the hockey arena from their proposed Highland site, saying it is prohibitively expensive to build an arena there.  UST is still attempting to build baseball and softball in Highland, however.

Does this mean UST will look to build a hockey arena where their baseball field currently stands?

Its almost as if they didn't think through their necessary facility upgrades and needs when making this jump.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Or they were forced to make the jump before they were ready?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

A couple of new rules proposed for NCAA hockey. Players would be able to transfer more than once before earning a degree.

The biggest change proposed would eliminate the blanket rule prohibiting student-athletes from transferring more than once without penalty. Right now, the only way a student-athlete can transfer more than once without penalty is by graduating with a degree and enrolling in graduate school with a new program.

In 2023, the women’s hockey transfer window would be March 6-May 4. The men’s hockey transfer window would be March 20-May18

Also, the video review has a new rule.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Committee approved rule changes sent its way by the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules Committee last month, including to overhauling of video reviews.

Reviewable plays such as goaltender interference, offsides and high sticking that leads to a goal will now require a coach’s challenge. If the play is not reversed, the challenging team will lose its timeout. Teams can continue to challenge plays without a timeout, but will be assessed a delay of game minor penalty for every unsuccessful challenge.

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1550420436806242311

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

So they want to make it easier for players to transfer?  I hate the NCAA.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

The players should be able to transfer as many times as they want lol.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7006
Post on old board: 18942

trixR4kids wrote...

The players should be able to transfer as many times as they want lol.

At their own expense sure.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Nobody said the school should have to pay for their moving company or whatever.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 615
Post on old board: 14946

Bertogliat wrote...

So they want to make it easier for players to transfer?  I hate the NCAA.

Pretty much agree. It’s a sad state of affairs. If you have to change course more than once in only four years of eligibility, your analytical skills probably need a lot of work. Duh

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

The NCAA doesn't really have a lot of choice on this.  Whether we like it or not (I certainly don't) the era of College Sports that we all "grew up with" is gone, and will not be returning.  The assorted lawsuits by student athletes put a permanent end to it.

I suspect SUML could clarify, but from a legal standpoint, any other student wanting to hop from school to school can do so, as can anyone working a job, so why shouldn't players be able to?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

OK fine but going forward, with the way things are headed, we might as well quit calling them "commitments". "Free agents" would seem to be more accurate.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 615
Post on old board: 14946

Steve MN wrote...

I suspect SUML could clarify, but from a legal standpoint, any other student wanting to hop from school to school can do so, as can anyone working a job, so why shouldn’t players be able to?

I really think this comment is misleading. Nobody is saying they can’t be like any other student and transfer for ACADEMICS whenever they want. It is whether they should be able to play the sport with no eligibility ramifications along with it.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

And people are wondering why NCAA sports should get some special exemption that doesn’t apply to any other labor sector (well besides the fact that they’re playing for free lol).

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

trixR4kids wrote...

And people are wondering why NCAA sports should get some special exemption that doesn’t apply to any other labor sector (well besides the fact that they’re playing for free lol).

Their loans will be much lower than mine were.  And don’t forget the puck bunnies.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Preemptive “It was a joke.”

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Not saying I don’t wish I coulda done it Smile

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7681
Post on old board: 35040

I do wish, futilely, that an athlete can switch only if there is some sort of coaching change (down to a positions coach, if that dapplied to said athlete). Unlimited transfers, but a coaching change must have happened.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

SkiUMahLaw wrote...

I’d be curious how seriously they look at expanding the current arena they co-own with St. Thomas Academy. They have room to expand that footprint. Not sure if they own that property or not.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

YoungEagle wrote...
SkiUMahLaw wrote…

I’d be curious how seriously they look at expanding the current arena they co-own with St. Thomas Academy. They have room to expand that footprint. Not sure if they own that property or not.

I am sure they can find some place in the 7 county metro area to build a rink, but the point was to do it on campus and leverage their own community's ability to contribute.

It would be a tough sell to a recruit to tell them to "come live inSt. Paul but our entire hockey training infrastructure is in Mendota Heights."

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2574
Post on old board: 7833

gopher6 wrote...

Another  school looking to add hockey

https://www.uscho.com/2022/07/25/binghamton-university-looking-at-possibility-of-adding-mens-division-i-college-hockey//a >

The “Old Lead Bottoms”?

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden

From the Minnesota boy's forum:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status ... jW1h5AjSQA

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Sounds like we'll find out about tMel soon...

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1553055361766248454?s=20&t=14WZlufi7_6ojhC19AElRg

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5643
Post on old board: 16243

My money is on Mel being out.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

So as someone that has no clue whatsoever what's the scuttlebutt, hullabaloo, uproar, what's the deal with tMel?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

Slap Shot wrote...

So as someone that has no clue whatsoever what’s the scuttlebutt, hullabaloo, uproar, what’s the deal with tMel?

Allegations of a "toxic and discriminatory environment for female staff" and that Mel instructed players to lie on their COVID tracing forms leading up to the 2021 NCAA tournament (the one where they had to withdraw at the last minute due to multiple COVID infections on the team), plus Mel retaliating against at least one team member that raised concerns about the environment.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Steve MN wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

So as someone that has no clue whatsoever what’s the scuttlebutt, hullabaloo, uproar, what’s the deal with tMel?

Allegations of a “toxic and discriminatory environment for female staff” and that Mel instructed players to lie on their COVID tracing forms leading up to the 2021 NCAA tournament (the one where they had to withdraw at the last minute due to multiple COVID infections on the team), plus Mel retaliating against at least one team member that raised concerns about the environment.

He is not the guy you trust your kid with.  Mel must go.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

That's how you know they will keep him. This is the college that likes harbaugh.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Garrett Wait injured himself and will miss the entire season.  Didn't he play basketball for Purdue?

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

Slap Shot wrote...

Garrett Wait injured himself and will miss the entire season.  Didn’t he play basketball for Purdue?

https://www.uscho.com/2022/07/29/umass-wait-suffers-offseason-injury-will-not-skate-22-23-season-for-minutemen/

Aloha!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7255
Post on old board: 10120

Bertogliat wrote...
trixR4kids wrote…

Their loans will be much lower than mine were.  And don’t forget the puck bunnies.

gopher6 wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

Garrett Wait injured himself and will miss the entire season.  Didn’t he play basketball for Purdue?

https://www.uscho.com/2022/07/29/umass-wait-suffers-offseason-injury-will-not-skate-22-23-season-for-minutemen//a >

Career ending, wow wonder what happened?
Wouldn’t this have been his fifth year?

Is the last year guys can come back due to  for extra year due to Covid?

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Cowgirl wrote...
Bertogliat wrote…
trixR4kids wrote…

gopher6 wrote…
Slap Shot wrote…

https://www.uscho.com/2022/07/29/umass-wait-suffers-offseason-injury-will-not-skate-22-23-season-for-minutemen//a >

Career ending, wow wonder what happened?
Wouldn’t this have been his fifth year?

Is the last year guys can come back due to  for extra year due to Covid?

No the extra year is for anyone who was rostered for the 20-21 season and can use that whenever. So the last we we will probably see it is 24-25.

Wait will just use his redshirt and be back next year.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Twitter thread for those without Athletic subs

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1554469915163246592?s=20&t=ei__KFyzKnFDBTCOWA1blA

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

He should be a dead man walking. Now we see if Michigan does the right thing.

GoldyShuffle
(@goldyshuffle)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 28

Wiseman will be the coach by next week

Celsior
(@celsior)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 74

GoldyShuffle wrote...

Wiseman will be the coach by next week

He's already the coach. If not, why'd he suddenly not join the Islanders?

They'll just announce it in the next week.

Page 9 / 11