gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5627
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

@gator 

If you can’t even say the word in question, it’s probably bad enough.  

John Mulaney has a great bit about this. Basically if you're comparing one slur to the N word and the N word is the only one you won't say, it's the worst of the two.

Being the father of 3 mixed kids (black and white). I'm sure this day will come when one of my kids comes home asking about what someone called them.  Fortunately, it hasn't happened and hopefully it won't. Though it does bring a joy to a parent's heart seeing your kids play with their friends and color of skin is not an issue.  Even our oldest being nonverbal Down Syndrome is normal to our 2 younger children. Kids well ask our two younger kids what's wrong with their sister. And their reply is "nothing". Cause that's their sister being normal to them. And it's also important to teach our 3 kids not to indulge in ignorant talk and words, especially if they don't want it in return.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4613
Post on old board: 10695

On the good news front, Steven Holtz is recovering well.  He stopped off at the rink yesterday:

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1595251710838165504

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Rau4SkiUMah and gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

On the good news front, Steven Holtz is recovering well.  He stopped off at the rink yesterday:

Good to hear... 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12563
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Notre Dame gets blown out by BU 5-2

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Posted by: @gator

@gator 

John Mulaney has a great bit about this. Basically if you're comparing one slur to the N word and the N word is the only one you won't say, it's the worst of the two.

Being the father of 3 mixed kids (black and white). I'm sure this day will come when one of my kids comes home asking about what someone called them.  Fortunately, it hasn't happened and hopefully it won't. Though it does bring a joy to a parent's heart seeing your kids play with their friends and color of skin is not an issue.  Even our oldest being nonverbal Down Syndrome is normal to our 2 younger children. Kids well ask our two younger kids what's wrong with their sister. And their reply is "nothing". Cause that's their sister being normal to them. And it's also important to teach our 3 kids not to indulge in ignorant talk and words, especially if they don't want it in return.

Thanks for sharing, gator.  The more we understand one another, the better.

As someone of Asian descent, I know I don't even begin to understand what our African-American friends and family go through despite how much reading and documentary watching I've done in the past few years.  My parents, both Vietnam War refugees, do tell me about crap they had to deal with when they first came to this country and there's been a lot of anxiety about anti-Asian incidents that have increased during the pandemic.  And though there's no reason to believe today's shooting at the Vietnamese restaurant by Bloomington Stadium near where I live was racially motivated, it's hard to not be spooked by it.  But adding all of this and more up isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the Black Experience, so it's been heartwarming to see so many people rushing to be at Jagger Joshua's side, literally or spiritually, over the last 48 hours.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Chill Kessel reacted
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 752

It's nice to see karma bite someone for a change

Chill Kessel reacted
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Notre Dame gets blown out by BU 5-2

Our old buddy Ben Brinkman scored a goal for ND, on the positive side

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

I did not expect ND to struggle as much as they have given the players they had returning & their portal additions.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3962
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @thinkbui

@gator 

Thanks for sharing, gator.  The more we understand one another, the better.

As someone of Asian descent, I know I don't even begin to understand what our African-American friends and family go through despite how much reading and documentary watching I've done in the past few years.  My parents, both Vietnam War refugees, do tell me about crap they had to deal with when they first came to this country and there's been a lot of anxiety about anti-Asian incidents that have increased during the pandemic.  And though there's no reason to believe today's shooting at the Vietnamese restaurant by Bloomington Stadium near where I live was racially motivated, it's hard to not be spooked by it.  But adding all of this and more up isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the Black Experience, so it's been heartwarming to see so many people rushing to be at Jagger Joshua's side, literally or spiritually, over the last 48 hours.

Thank you for both of these posts, very enlightening. This is very simple for me: no one should ever be made to feel intimidated or unsafe in any situation. You may say that’s unrealistic but that should be the goal. No one is “less than” we’re all humans. Everyone has their weaknesses, most of the people I’ve met have strengths to even them out. The ones who don’t are usually the ones who think they’re better than everyone else. 

bearpaw28 reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Could you imagine if this happened last year when the Whioux played in Nashville?

https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/1596209376158793728

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Could you imagine if this happened last year when the Whioux played in Nashville?

Full fledge Karen and Ken moods.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Notre Dame beats BC 5-2 to split their BU/BC trip. Our buddy Brinkman scored the empty net goal for his 2nd goal in as many games, which equals the number of goals(2) he has in 4 years at the U.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4384

Michigan and Harvard tie 4-4 at Yost. Harvard wins the meaningless shootout. 

Michigan State wins 5-3 at Miami Ohio. (Another nice big ten non-conference win)

The Effing Hawks down 3-1 in the second period @Bemidji

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Michigan and Harvard tie 4-4 at Yost. Harvard wins the meaningless shootout. 

Michigan State wins 5-3 at Miami Ohio. (Another nice big ten non-conference win)

The Effing Hawks down 3-1 in the second period @Bemidji

I'm not suggesting that the GPL jinx moved to the new site, but 3-3 Whioux/Bemidji in the 3rd now.

Long Island 3 Ohio st 2

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Effing Hawks and Bemidji tie 3-3

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Omaha up 3-0 on Denver. If we win tomorrow we might be back at #1. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Rohlik distances himself from the decision to suspend Sadlocha. In fact, this sure sounds like he's saying he would not have suspended him.

Rohlik: Sadlocha Decision Was 'Above Me' : College Hockey News

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5296
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Rohlik distances himself from the decision to suspend Sadlocha. In fact, this sure sounds like he's saying he would not have suspended him.

Bush league... Until coaches hold their own players to higher standards, this BS will keep happening.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

gator reacted
thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

What I got out of it is that Rohlik thinks shielding his players from real world consequences is still a higher priority as their coach, but something like this goes way beyond just saying "don't do dumb things" to your guys with the hope that Jagger Joshua forgets about the whole thing by the following Monday and going about it that way along with actions/inaction by others not only failed to shield Sadlocha, it's dragged the program, OSU, and the B1G down with him.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Bush league... Until coaches hold their own players to higher standards, this BS will keep happening.

Agree… the investigation might have been above Rohlik, but suspending players isn’t. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1232
Post on old board: 5547

Gophers #1 in pairwise ranking

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Aloha!

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2204
Post on old board: 6782

After this last weekend we all got the wake up call that the Gophers will not win every game and will play poorly even with this loaded roster we have.  @frozen4champs brought up this very question why some of us are under the delusion that we will finish the year 34-0

As poorly as we played we still came out of there with a split, which is pretty much the hope anytime you're on the road.  Next weekend we should have the same expectation, especially against an seemingly improved Michigan State team.

Let's talk about where the Gophers were a year ago about this time.  They finished 10-8 before the Christmas break.  They swept only two series, one of them was Mercyhurst.  They were swept once by the Bulldogs.  Then they split six series, usually stinking it up on Friday and playing much better on Saturday.  

Obviously none of us are throwing in the towel on this season yet.  There are too many games left to go so we have plenty of time to improve before even the Pairwise means anything.  Truthfully I'm glad that our issues were on the defensive side of the puck because that is where are best and most experienced players are at.  It shouldn't take them long to watch the film and improve.  That was one area that improved last year as the season went along was defense.  Offense isn't the issue so far this year, the Gophers haven't been blanked yet this year.  That's a good problem to have.

Would a sweep been nice in Arizona?  Yup.  Didn't happen and I'm not mad.  We get another good series this weekend and then the weekend after that we get to slap Bucky around.  That will be a great way to get us to the break.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7421

Probably the first series of the year where the d core has been the problem. We’re fine. 

Actually took 1.33/2 pairwise points so the results aren’t as bad as people are making it sound. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

So Denver goes Loss/Win to Omaha (ranked 30th in today’s poll) and holds onto 1st place.  MN wins and OT loss to the team ranked 24th and drops 3 spots…

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7421

Posted by: @composer

So Denver goes Loss/Win to Omaha (ranked 30th in today’s poll) and holds onto 1st place.  MN wins and OT loss to the team ranked 24th and drops 3 spots…

Yeah USCHO hates us for some reason. In other news the USA poll has us at #1

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

The poll is meaningless so whatever.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Yes, we all know it is meaningless wrt postseason.  But I’m curious about how people made their decisions.  I know that Ed Trefzger doubts the gophers (talks about it in the podcasts). Apparently he has convinced other voters as well…

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2600
Post on old board: 15478

Arm chair psychology isn't called for. Nobody needs a safe room, except maybe that dude who got himself thrown off the site last year. (I miss his doom-and-gloom musings after a road split against ranked teams.)

The gophers gave up 6 goals to a mediocre team who played like the game mattered. Our guys deserve the criticism they're getting, but the "season is over" hyperbole or the couch sessions are quite unnecessary.

No, nobody thought they would go undefeated. This is hockey. It's just that when they have a bad loss, we like to bitch. Crazy  

gopher6 reacted

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1208
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @streakygopher

Arm chair psychology isn't called for. Nobody needs a safe room, except maybe that dude who got himself thrown off the site last year. (I miss his doom-and-gloom musings after a road split against ranked teams.)

The gophers gave up 6 goals to a mediocre team who played like the game mattered. Our guys deserve the criticism they're getting, but the "season is over" hyperbole or the couch sessions are quite unnecessary.

No, nobody thought they would go undefeated. This is hockey. It's just that when they have a bad loss, we like to bitch. Crazy  

Just got to enjoy the regular season for what is, a strong schedule…and while it’s nice to win a regular season championship & (doing that is certainly difficult)  at the end of the day, this Gopher team with seniors Lacombe & Johnson & junior Faber (all who will turn pro at seasons end) and young stars in Knies, Cooley & Snuggy…along with Pitlick, Huglen & older veterans like Brodz & Nevers & the farm kid…their ultimate success (or lack of success) will be determined by whether they WIN (they’re hoping) 4 consecutive postseason games to end the season & two decade drought ☝️

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 564

The Gophers definitely have what it takes to win it all this year. Enjoying the season will be the key. I am less worried about mental lapses like last weekend at this point in the season than I will be at the season end. Need to be sharp and disciplined then.

The other joy this season is seeing Wisconsin suck. Now if Michigan could just join them.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2600
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @gopheritall

The Gophers definitely have what it takes to win it all this year. Enjoying the season will be the key. I am less worried about mental lapses like last weekend at this point in the season than I will be at the season end. Need to be sharp and disciplined then.

The other joy this season is seeing Wisconsin suck. Now if Michigan could just join them.

Michigan will always be dangerous. They're young but have a ton of skill. Gophers caught them at the right time when they were depleted and their goal tending was average.

I'll be interested to see the new State team this weekend. There are no weekends off when you're perched at the top like the gophers are. Everyone will be gunning for them, because there are valuable points to be gained with a win.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @northerngopher218

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/port-und-doesnt-own-the-trademark-for-hugely-popular-nodak-jerseys-but-the-hockey-coachs-daughter-does

This is interesting...

A lot to unpack in that story. Seems to be a conflict of interest going on here. Plus, it appears Brianna Berry is involved in this with Danny Kristo. Which leads to the question, do they own the trademark for Frozen Toes as well? ? 

gator and Greyeagle reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6983
Post on old board: 18942

For a quick second I thought Brianna Berry was my last real estate agent who played hockey at UMD, but alas she spells her name Breanna.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6983
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @bertogliat

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/port-und-doesnt-own-the-trademark-for-hugely-popular-nodak-jerseys-but-the-hockey-coachs-daughter-does

This is interesting...

These are shenanigans.

it's tom foolery. This travaschmockery shall not stand!

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

@frozen4champs on that other forum that shall not be named. Someone mention how they were "knocking boots" but was then corrected in his case it would just be "knocking boot."

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@frozen4champs on that other forum that shall not be named. Someone mention how they were "knocking boots" but was then corrected in his case it would just be "knocking boot."

It is also interesting that Schlossman has not weighed in on this yet. I consider him the most informed college hockey beat writer in the country, yet radio silence. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Interesting how someone has the trademark for "NoDak", though from what I read in another article there is several businesses in the Grand Forks area with the "NoDak" name. 

I laughed when I saw Danny "Black Toes" Kristo's name.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

@gator The trademark for use on clothing and apparel.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Yes, but what about all those businesses that have clothing and apparel with the "NoDak" name.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

Yes, but what about all those businesses that have clothing and apparel with the "NoDak" name.

So I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's more so the sale of writing with "Nodak" not "Nodak ...". If thats the name of your company and you put that as your logo on your shirt you'd be fine.  We need our legal expert on this to clarify though...

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/port-und-now-owns-nodak-trademark-says-it-didnt-cost-them-anything

Isn't it ironic a day after the story comes out, it's resolved?

alanis morissette 90s GIF

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

It's UND... nothing surprises me.  Thier fan base worships a Nazi enthusiast. 

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

Nodak and St. Cloud are on 9+ tonight

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7670
Post on old board: 35040

Gopher women on the 9+ tomorrow, too. 2pm

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7222
Post on old board: 10120

If you have spectrum (at least in the south metro) you can watch McDonalds vs. cows (Ferris and mankato) on the msu events channel.  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

DirecTv sports pack has BADgers vs Michigan, CC vs DUHluth, Denver vs ASU and BU vs UNH. Lots of college hockey on.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5153

HEY did you know Ben Hanowski now works for Deerwood Bank? Now you do. 

Page 7 / 44