2,176 Posts
88 Users
742 Likes
65.2 K Views
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

I couldn't find a better place for this as it pertains to future seasons.  Would hockey expand the tournament to half the teams?  Interesting to read about the recommendations.

https://frontofficesports.com/ncaa-transformation-committee-recommendations/

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7319
Post on old board: 10120

Modernize, or monetize?  Just like pro sports - more playoff games means more viewers, thus more ads and more revenue.
It’s not as meaningful when half the league makes a tourney, and does this really favor the teams that deserve to be there when it’s a one and done format?

I would not like that idea.   

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Is the NCAA really that starved that an added half a percent to the entire NCAA revenue footprint (yes I'm wildly speculating on the additional return) justifies expanding the hockey tournament?

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 577

My understanding is that the expanded championship footprint would only apply to those sports that have over 200 participants.  That does make more sense for a 90-team bouncyball tournament when there are something like 350 D-1 basketball programs. 

I cannot see them expanding the hockey footprint past 16 however.  Not with only 60-some schools playing. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4647
Post on old board: 28736

Yeah in reality 16 is probably too many with the current amount but they will never go back to 12 unless a lot of teams fold.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @slap-shot

Is the NCAA really that starved that an added half a percent to the entire NCAA revenue footprint (yes I'm wildly speculating on the additional return) justifies expanding the hockey tournament?

When are living in an era of 'everyone gets a ribbon'. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

The 50% of teams isn't for how many teams make the tournament.  It's how many teams that make the tournament get seeded.  This doesn't really impact Hockey or Basketball, as the Men's hockey tournament is fully seeded (within the bands, at least) and Women's hockey already seeds half the teams.

The recommendation was for 25% of teams to make the tournament, which hockey is already ahead of.  For Bouncyball, I saw a comment that people would be laughing at a lot of the teams that would make the NCAA tournament if they expanded to 25%, and there seems to be no real chance that will happen.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12651
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Hard NO

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1611109541734670337

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

There is no need for it. Although admittedly I would watch if the Gophs were in it.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I wouldn't.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Why would they waste money on this?  Very, VERY few people would pay for tickets.  You might not get enough in revenue to pay for the refs.  No way this happens.

The Gazelle group clearly does not know the college hockey fanbase.

HandyNotDan reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @handyman

I wouldn't.

I would go.....if it was in my back yard....and they paid my venue rental fee.  Otherwise no.

HandyNotDan reacted
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Hard NO

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1611109541734670337

But think of this from St Clouds perspective

Cowgirl and Greyeagle reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Hard no on a NIT. I see teams opting out for a meaningless tourney. And even if teams opt in, drafted players who are ready to sign will sign and not risk anything in a gimmick tourney.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gator

Hard no on a NIT. I see teams opting out for a meaningless tourney. And even if teams opt in, drafted players who are ready to sign will sign and not risk anything in a gimmick tourney.

It reminds me of the college hockey all star game they held at Mariucci around the time it opened. All of the big time players opted out of it. I think that was the last year the attempted to do anything like that.

Edit-- Found the ticket stub. It was April 9, 1995. They called it the East-West all star game

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Sparty lost again. This time to Ohio State. 4 losses in a row and 6 of 7. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

BADgers shut out Notre Dame 2-0

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4473

North Dakota comes back and beats Lindenwood 4-3 at home. They avoided a pairwise killer

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Denver is losing at home to Alaska Fairbanks 2-1 after 2.

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Quinnipiac with another impressive win over *checks notes*… Dartmouth (2-12-1)

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

North Dakota comes back and beats Lindenwood 4-3 at home. They avoided a pairwise killer

Im sure Rick Haley is boasting about that win and how the Gophers suck… lol!!!

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @gator

Im sure Rick Haley is boasting about that win and how the Gophers suck… lol!!!

/Connor McGregor comment

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Denver loses to Alaska Fairbanks at home 3-1 empty net.

Man I love seeing the NCHC lose ? (yes, I know Notre Dame just lost to Alaska also). 

Former Gopher Jonny Sorensen with a goal and an assist for Alaska

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Don’t look now but Ohio State is 6th in the pairwise?

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1246
Post on old board: 5547

Man I love seeing the NCHC lose ? (yes, I know Notre Dame just lost to Alaska also). 

didn't Notre Dame lose last night to Wisconsin?

Aloha!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gopher6

didn't Notre Dame lose last night to Wisconsin?

He meant that Notre Dame lost to Alaska last weekend.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

A few NCAA games to watch today before tonights big game. UConn is playing Northeastern at Fenway this afternoon on NESN. Sparty is playing Ohio St at 3pm on BTN

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Wheels are falling off the Sparty bus quick

3-0 Buckeyes after 1

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Sparty right now.

This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

5-0 yikes. On the flip side, Ohio State looks like a legit tourney team. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Michigan St coach looks baffled at this point. 5-0 OSU

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

Ben Holden before Gopher/Spartans game "Everything Michigan State does is fast. They play fast, they pass fast, they shoot fast. Hell, they even think fast"

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Notre Dame up 3-0 with 5 minutes left in the 1st. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

As of this morning, the Big Ten has 6 teams in the top 15 of the pairwise. I know the Pairwise can be volatile, but that’s pretty dang impressive.

T-1: Minnesota

4. Penn State

T-6: Ohio State

8: Michigan

T-13: Michigan State

T-15: Notre Dame

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

To follow up on my post above… Gophers and St. Cloud is the last non-conference game left for any big ten teams. So nothing drastic should change too much. 

It’s going to be interesting to see if the big ten can send 5 teams.  

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Wisco might be fixing things, but I'm not all that surprised they stole one from ND.  The Irish were the only team they didn't face in the first half and they've been kind of underwhelming this season.

As much as I love kicking Wisco when they're down, that's probably not their last win of this season.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @thinkbui

Wisco might be fixing things, but I'm not all that surprised they stole one from ND.  The Irish were the only team they didn't face in the first half and they've been kind of underwhelming this season.

As much as I love kicking Wisco when they're down, that's probably not their last win of this season.

They continue to win just enough to not can Tony Granato. An endless cycle of below averageness 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

They continue to win just enough to not can Tony Granato. An endless cycle of below averageness 

Long may it last.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

SkiUMahLaw reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

You say this like it is a bad thing...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

FWIW ( just message board debates ). The Q is #1, Gophers move up to #2. 

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1612498791885836288

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

That’s probably accurate at this point. I’m torn on Quinnipiac. On one hand they play absolute nobodies, but on the other hand 1 loss in the entire year is really really impressive. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

NCAA approve adding an extra paid coach and revised the transfer rule.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/01/11_NCAA-Approves-Addition-of.php

The NCAA's Division I Council voted today to eliminate the distinction of volunteer assistant coaches, and increase the allowed paid coaches on staff.

For hockey, this means that teams may have a fourth full-time coach on staff, if they choose. Many teams currently employ volunteer assistants. The change takes place as of July 1.

There was a proposal to increase the limit to five, but that got rejected.

The Council also revised its guidelines for players looking to transfer a second time. A couple of years ago, the NCAA approved the ability for players to transfer one time without having to sit out a season, which has led to unprecedented movement in college hockey and other sports. Players looking to transfer a second time, however, will need to apply for a waiver, to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. To transfer again with penalty, athletes need to demonstrate physical injury, illness or mental health condition that necessitates the transfer; or "exigent circumstances that cleary necessitate immediate departure," such as physical abuse or sexual assault.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Good changes.  A player should be able to transfer if what they were promised during recruiting did not occur (and other scenarios).  In the past, players were basically stuck.  Now they can get out of a situation, but it doesn’t become a free for all.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7580

Ohio Sate goes to Michigan and absolutely spanks the Wolverines 7-2. The shots in the game were Ohio State 52 Michigan 21. After two periods the game was 6-1 with the shots being 45-16. The Buckeyes are playing REALLY well right now having won 6 games in a row and are up to number 6 in the Pairwise/RPI. They are in second place in the Big Ten.

Michigan State gets a big win against Penn State to move up to #13 in the Pairwise/RPI. Penn State was up 2-0 in the third period before Sparty came storming back to win 3-2 in OT.

The two goals that had Penn State up 2-0 where both 5 on 3 PP goals a period apart from each other. Apparently the refs were cracking down on those dirty Spartans. ?  But Sparty got the last laugh.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Portillo is not having a very good year. Sometimes a bigger goalie isn't necessarily better....

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

U18 team beats the BADgers 6-1. According to the boxscore there was a fight in that game ? Great job BADgers for getting into a fight with some high school kids...

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Portillo is not having a very good year. Sometimes a bigger goalie isn't necessarily better....

Neither is Drew DeRidder.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Apparently the Badgers are going with a motto of "If you can beat them then beat them up." ? 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

North Dakota gets shut out 4-0 at home. Their site is not a happy place right now.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

North Dakota gets shut out 4-0 at home. Their site is not a happy place right now.

The Dude Dancing GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

Page 11 / 44