1,387 Posts
58 Users
146 Likes
29.1 K Views
5 O.T.
(@5-o-t)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 411

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

"Those are things you've got to go back-and-forth with and think of in your mind. It's not a simple math equation. I love these conversations now as a GM because I used to be one of the people building those charts, and I kind of laugh with people, 'I don't know. Let's just talk about this and use those [charts] as a backboard, but let's talk about this and kind of understand the dynamics that go forth.'"

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 615
Post on old board: 14946

My main problem is it seems like they should have received a lot more in return for a #12 overall pick than what they received. Especially when they are dropping back 20 spots. I don't care about trading back if the return is really good.

I don't like this trade at all but I hope for the best on it.

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

I like what I heard from Lewis Cine during his appearance on 9-noon this morning. He sounds like a smart kid with a good attitude. All the draft experts last night seem to think he's going to be a really good player.

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Never ceases to amaze me how the NFL measures players value based on hand size, arm strength and arm length. Will they never learn about guys like Tom Brady and Joe Montana, even Terrell Davis. Matt Birk was a 6th round pick. Aren’t guys paid to be scouts?

My head nearly exploded last night when someone on the ESPN panel was explaining how Kenny Pickett's thumb somehow elongates when gripping a football but not when he places it on a flat surface.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

The Vikings traded Pick#34 to the Packers.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

WTF…letting the Packers trade up to get THEIR WR. We better have got a HUGE HAUL to allow this to happen . KAM… we’re waiting☝️

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

So now the Vikings have two 2nd round picks (picks 21 & 27 in the round/53 & 59 overall) and two 3rd round picks (picks 2 & 13 in the round/66 & 77 overall)

The Vikings must have a lot of guys projected for the last 2nd round/early 3rd round that they like. Time will tell how well this plays out but having 4 picks tonight clearly makes it fun/important.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

WTF…letting the Packers trade up to get THEIR WR. We better have got a HUGE HAUL to allow this to happen . KAM… we’re waiting☝️

Them taking the NDSU Bison WR is interesting. A lot of people had George Pickens and Skky Moore ranked higher. The Packers where likely going to end up with one of these WR in the 2nd round even if the Vikings don't trade with them.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Bold strategy Cotton

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

Safe to assume we trade with the Bears next?

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

What are they doing? Is KAM going to make me miss Spielman? I didn’t think that was possible.

Jordan Belfort
(@jordan-belfort)
Rep Pts: 8

Time will tell, but this makes you wonder if somebody needs to remind the new GM of what the draft is for.  Next, we'll probably sign Colin Kapernick.......

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Having 5 picks in the first 2.5 rounds could work out well. I am a firm believer that trading back isn't all bad as long as you are staying in the first three rounds. Now if we start trading 2nd/3rd round picks for 4th/5th round pick I will likely not be a happy camper.

Trading with the Packers doesn't bother me. They had two 2nd round picks (now the Vikings have them) and two 3rd round picks so they were likely going to get one of the WRs projected to go in the second round regardless. They had the extra picks to get the guy they wanted in the 2nd round. Now will he end up better than George Pickens or Skyy Moore who most people had ranked as higher WRs than the Bison WR the Packers picked? Time will tell. The Packers traded up to pick a WR who was lower ranked by most people.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

I don’t necessarily have any problem trading with your rivals, but when your the team that gives up the higher pick when on the clock…You better be CORRECT regarding the strategy you’re utilizing! Time will tell..,

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Vikings just trade up to Pick #42

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

And we take a DB from Clemson at 42 (after trading back up) a DB, what a shock! ?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

With Pick #42 the Vikings select CB Andrew Booth Jr (Clemson)

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ESPN had him as the 27 ranked player.

<h2>Pre-Draft Analysis</h2>
Booth is a sudden athlete with good body control and outstanding short-area burst. He's a scheme versatile corner who was asked to play a lot of coverages at Clemson and held up well across the board. He has playmaker instincts and attacks the ball like a receiver. He's a willing run defender who flies to the football. <i>-- Steve Muench</i>
<h2>Post-Draft Analysis</h2>
Injuries in the pre-draft process pushed Booth down the board, but the Vikings get a potential steal here. Booth, if healthy, can push for a starting job in this secondary very early on. The Vikings have a chance to make up for some big misses at cornerback in the past with this selection. <i>-- Matt Miller</i>

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Someone make a before and after of the picks they have because it sure seems like the net result hasn't been great

gopherguy13
(@gopherguy13)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 943
Post on old board: 20929

Someone make a before and after of the picks they have because it sure seems like the net result hasn’t been great

Actually I disagree, I think the moves today have been really solid.

MN gave: 34

GB gave: 53 + 59

MN gave: 53 + 77 + 192

IND gave: 42 + 122

So we gained 59 + 122, gave up 77 + 192, and got the guy we were targeting all along.

Seems like some good maneuvering to me.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

I am hoping for a pre draft to now before and after. Can't just take today's for the whole picture.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Here is the starting and current list of Vikings picks. I was having some troubles keeping track so I wanted to type it out to see how things have changed.

Started with picks #12, #46, #77, 156, #184, #191, #192, #250

Currently have picks #32, #42, #59, #66, #122, #156, #184, #191, #250

The numbers is bold are the net changes with the trade last night and the two trades tonight.

Moved down 20 picks in the 1st round (#12 to #32)

Moved up 4 picks in the 2nd round (#46 to #42)

Picked up an extra 2nd round pick (#59)

Moved up 11 picks in the 3rd round (#77 to #66)

Moved up 70 picks so two rounds (#192 to #122)

gopherguy13
(@gopherguy13)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 943
Post on old board: 20929

In a draft with not a lot of high end talent, I think that's really solid. Got a free second round pick? I'll take that all day!

Not to mention some big jumps moving up in other rounds.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 9428

Someone make a before and after of the picks they have because it sure seems like the net result hasn’t been great

So you don’t know what the picks are but still think the result wasn’t good….yep that seems about right.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

In a draft with not a lot of high end talent, I think that’s really solid. Got a free second round pick? I’ll take that all day! Not to mention some big jumps moving up in other rounds.

It wasn’t free.  They moved down 20 spots in the vary valuable 1st round.

But I agree it’s an overall plus.

I am told there is a lot more value in the 2-4 rounds due to players sticking around an extra year for COVID.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Needs at CB and G now addressed. 6 more picks and we’re up again.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings take a LB but not Dean, his injury concerns must be significant

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Georgia, Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma so far. We just need to pick a Bama and Buckeye and we will have all the recent champions/top programs.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

• Vikings take a LB but not Dean, his injury concerns must be significant

Torn pec that will probably require surgery.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

I think they're going to regret not taking Willis, but I hope I am wrong on that.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

#ADreamComeTrue

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1520232658973904898

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

Only 1 Gophers player taken so far?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

PA doing draft analysis from the hot tub.

https://twitter.com/PAOnTheMic/status/1520212734574534657

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

The reason I'm not griping about trading back in round 1 is this: There were only about 9 "for sure" guys in the first round. They were all gone by pick 12 (Okonwu, Neal, Cross, Stingley, Gardner, Thibodeaux, Walker, Hutchinson, and Wilson). Even if you want to count London (I'm not a huge fan) and Olave (seemed like an overdraft, though he is a game-breaker).

After that, the general consensus seemed to be that the next 30ish guys were all similar values. Take Hamilton and Cine, for example. Hamilton had a ton of pre-combine steam to the point people thought he could be a top 3 pick. Then he had some rougher numbers in combine testing. Meanwhile Cine had some insane testing numbers (4.37 40 chief among them). There was at least one writer from The Athletic (the name escapes me now, Dan something) who said he'd have taken Cine over Hamilton.  When Georgia, the nation's best defense who had 5 first rounders, needed a play, they counted on Cine and Walker to make them.

In a normal year when there are 5-6 first round caliber QBs, #12 overall holds a lot more value. This year's draft had 1 first-round QB and he went at #20 (and some even think that was a reach, though I think it's a good pick for the Steelers). In a year where there are 15 first round defensive players and 6 first round WRs, #12 held less value. They traded #12 and #46 for #32, #34, and #66, and then turned #34 into #42 and #59.

In the process they filled three HUGE needs: a starting safety, a starting CB, and a starting RG. Then they got a very good pass coverage LB who can run and tackle in the open field as well as almost anyone in this class.

Time will tell whether letting Detroit get their hands on Jameson Williams (worries me because he's a stud but he still has Goff throwing) or the Packers get their hands on Christian Watson (worries me less, especially after Rodgers retires, especially considering he's not exactly polished at this point) comes back to bite them in the ass.

But so far I've been very pleased with the way Kwesi has handled the draft.

I'm very intrigued to see what happens tomorrow. There are some quality players left on the board including a QB who would probably have been a lock for first round if he entered the draft in 2021 (Sam Howell). I wouldn't hate that pick but they'll probably have to move up from 122 to get him. If not, I'd love to see them get a guy like Kingsley Enagbare (DE) or Justyn Ross (WR). I also would be very OK if they get another CB.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Correct. Mafe at 40 to Seattle. I'd expect to see Faalele go pretty early tomorrow (by the end of round 4). Otomewo and Andries probably have to wait until rounds 5-6.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

I am not too worried about trading with Detroit to allow them to move up.  They need a lot of good players and trading multiple picks to move up will only hurt their depth.

A team like the Packers is a different story .  They are already a strong team and don’t need to draft as many players to make them Elite.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings move up to #118 to draft Akayleb Evans, 6'2" 197lb cornerback. Played a ton of man coverage in college.

Sounds like they traded #156 and a 4th rounder next year.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5167

Correct. Mafe at 40 to Seattle. I’d expect to see Faalele go pretty early tomorrow (by the end of round 4). Otomewo and Andries probably have to wait until rounds 5-6.

Faalele goes to Baltimore at 110. Good call.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Vikes just took Otomewo

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings draft former Gopher Esezi Otomewo at pick #165

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Correct. Mafe at 40 to Seattle. I’d expect to see Faalele go pretty early tomorrow (by the end of round 4). Otomewo and Andries probably have to wait until rounds 5-6.

Faalele goes to Baltimore at 110. Good call.

This is a great fit for him. His biggest question mark was being able to stand up to speed rushers in a drop back pass setting. The Ravens don't run a lot of true drop backs (because Lamar is an insane runner, obviously). He could thrive in that system as a mauling RT.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings draft running back Ty Chandler from UNC at pick #169.

Ran a 4.37 in the 40. Looks like a dynamic runner who also catches the ball well out of the backfield. Finished his college career with 421 rushes and 58 receptions across Tennessee and UNC (grad transfer).

Todd McShay loved the pick. I didn't watch basically any UNC football this season so I was stuck watching highlights but he definitely has some top end speed and looks like he can make the first cut and get up the field in a hurry.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Vikes just took Vederian Lowe. An offensive lineman from Illinois.

I thought they needed to get help at tight end?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Have now added Sparty WR Jalen Nailor

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

They got a TE in Nick Muse out of South Carolina.

Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 440

My main problem is it seems like they should have received a lot more in return for a #12 overall pick than what they received. Especially when they are dropping back 20 spots. I don’t care about trading back if the return is really good. I don’t like this trade at all but I hope for the best on it.

Yep, I don’t mind the pick at all, but Kwesi got fleeced.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2570
Post on old board: 7833

Vikes just took Vederian Lowe. An offensive lineman from Illinois.

Probably destined to be the greatest local athlete named Vederian, unless that was Bronco Nagurski’s real name.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

My main problem is it seems like they should have received a lot more in return for a #12 overall pick than what they received. Especially when they are dropping back 20 spots. I don’t care about trading back if the return is really good. I don’t like this trade at all but I hope for the best on it.

Yep, I don’t mind the pick at all, but Kwesi got fleeced.

He really didn't.

Page 3 / 28