Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

Nvmd

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I'm glad it's not just me its all messed up for. Was wondering if something was wrong with my computer

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 738

What is the five year plan for the Vikings? Negative cap space at this point. Obviously they need to rebuild the defense.  With a few adjustments to the defense, they may be much better next year. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6971
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @gopherfun83

What is the five year plan for the Vikings? 

gopherfun83 reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gopherfun83

What is the five year plan for the Vikings? Negative cap space at this point. Obviously they need to rebuild the defense.  With a few adjustments to the defense, they may be much better next year. 

Cutting or renegotiating a couple players whose productivity has dropped will take care of the negative cap space.  But JJ will get paid.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

Plus we don't know what the cap will be next year...

If they just cut 3 people from the D alone they could save a ton of cash and revamp the defense.  Harrison Smith, Kendricks and either Zadarias Smith or Hunter.  Throw in Adam Thielen or Dalvin Cook and you are cooking with gas.

The five year plan is to have a better version of the Year 1 offense with a defense that can actually stop people.  That offense with a top half defense is going to be tough to play most weeks and would still be playing right now. 

The problem the Vikes have is that their last couple drafts have been pretty awful and they have almost no picks this draft.  They need to find a way to get some picks back.

gopherfun83 reacted

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6971
Post on old board: 18942

I guess I don't pay that much attention but isn't Z. Smith someone they need back?  Injury problems?

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @slap-shot

I guess I don't pay that much attention but isn't Z. Smith someone they need back?  Injury problems?

Zadarius is older and doesn't seem to be able to hold up for a whole season.  He had a decent start, but just couldn't stay healthy.  His production dipped dramatically the second half and in the playoffs.  

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203
Post on old board: 6782

Just a casual observer here but I will agree with those that say to keep what you can on offense except probably release Cook and Thielen or get him to at least restructure.  The offense wasn't the issue this season.  The work has to be done on the defense.  Make up some of the cap space on that side of the ball and build something that is at least average because that would be light years ahead of what they had this season.  

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Just a casual observer here but I will agree with those that say to keep what you can on offense except probably release Cook and Thielen or get him to at least restructure.  The offense wasn't the issue this season.  The work has to be done on the defense.  Make up some of the cap space on that side of the ball and build something that is at least average because that would be light years ahead of what they had this season.  

could they bring Zimmer back as defensive coordinator?

Aloha!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

I think he is slated to coach at Colorado with "Coach Prime."

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

In theory...sure.  There is a better chance I coach the defense next year. 

As for Zadarius he is owed over $9 million next year and $14 million in 2024...he is not worth that kind of money. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

Vikings and JJ are supposedly expected to explore contract extension this offseason.

It will be interesting to see how much the salary cap goes up after the big Amazon deal. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

The problem the Vikes have is that their last couple drafts have been pretty awful and they have almost no picks this draft.  They need to find a way to get some picks back.

I'm putting a TBD on grading this year's draft for a while.

Lewis Cine got hurt and missed basically the whole season. Andrew Booth basically missed the whole season, and was playing through injury even when he played. That was our first two picks in the 2022 draft, both of whom were expected to contribute to the secondary. Akayleb Evans, last year's 4th round pick, looked borderline fantastic in his time on the field before he also was lost to injury. Brian Asamoah, a 3rd round pick last season, started making a pretty good impact down the stretch. So did Esezi Otomewo. 3 of their top 5 picks were players in the secondary and they all ended up missing half the season or more due to injury. 

The 2021 draft though... yikes. Outside of Darrisaw (borderline home run)... Kellen Mond - gone, Chazz Surratt - gone, Wyatt Davis - gone. Janarius Robinson (one of our 4th rounders) was signed by the Eagles off the practice squad. Kene Nwangwu (4th rounder) has been solid as a kick returner. Cam Bynum (4th rounder) has been mostly good. Patrick Jones (3rd round) has been ok as a rotational DL. But 3 of the teams first 4 picks are no longer on the team from the 2021 draft. That one hurts.

As for the 2023 draft - idk what kind of draft capital Danielle Hunter could bring in return after this season but he probably has the highest value of anyone we'd be looking to move. Maybe a second round pick? He had a "down year" and still managed 10.5 sacks. I don't see Dalvin, Thielen, or Harrison Smith providing much return in draft picks. A "win-now" team might be willing to pony up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Kendricks still, I suppose. I personally believe Kendricks was the LB who suffered the most by switching to the 3-4 and out of the 4-3. If they go back to the 4-3 I'd be fine keeping him and Hunter. If they are sticking with the 3-4 I think they'd be wise to try to trade them. 

As of now we have

Round 1, Pick 23
Round 3, Pick 87
Round 4, Pick 116 (from DET)
Round 5, Pick 155

Our 2nd and 4th round pick were traded to Detroit for Hockenson. Our 6th round pick was traded for Ross Blacklock and a 7th round pick. That 7th round pick was traded for Jaelon Reagor. Our original 7th round pick was traded for Steven Weatherly.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7473

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

No Way What GIF

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Lewis Cine got hurt and missed basically the whole season. Andrew Booth basically missed the whole season, and was playing through injury even when he played. That was our first two picks in the 2022 draft, both of whom were expected to contribute to the secondary. Akayleb Evans, last year's 4th round pick, looked borderline fantastic in his time on the field before he also was lost to injury. Brian Asamoah, a 3rd round pick last season, started making a pretty good impact down the stretch. So did Esezi Otomewo. 3 of their top 5 picks were players in the secondary and they all ended up missing half the season or more due to injury. 

The 2021 draft though... yikes. Outside of Darrisaw (borderline home run)... Kellen Mond - gone, Chazz Surratt - gone, Wyatt Davis - gone. Janarius Robinson (one of our 4th rounders) was signed by the Eagles off the practice squad. Kene Nwangwu (4th rounder) has been solid as a kick returner. Cam Bynum (4th rounder) has been mostly good. Patrick Jones (3rd round) has been ok as a rotational DL. But 3 of the teams first 4 picks are no longer on the team from the 2021 draft. That one hurts.

As for the 2023 draft - idk what kind of draft capital Danielle Hunter could bring in return after this season but he probably has the highest value of anyone we'd be looking to move. Maybe a second round pick? He had a "down year" and still managed 10.5 sacks. I don't see Dalvin, Thielen, or Harrison Smith providing much return in draft picks. A "win-now" team might be willing to pony up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Kendricks still, I suppose. I personally believe Kendricks was the LB who suffered the most by switching to the 3-4 and out of the 4-3. If they go back to the 4-3 I'd be fine keeping him and Hunter. If they are sticking with the 3-4 I think they'd be wise to try to trade them. 

As of now we have

Round 1, Pick 23
Round 3, Pick 87
Round 5, Pick 155

Our 2nd and 4th round pick were traded to Detroit for Hockenson. Our 6th round pick was traded for Ross Blacklock and a 7th round pick. That 7th round pick was traded for Jaelon Reagor. Our original 7th round pick was traded for Steven Weatherly.

I'm not heading it just saying we got nothing from them.  That said Cine was beat out by Bynum anyways. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1616216832905551872

Season 9 What GIF by The Office

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

As of now we have

Round 1, Pick 23
Round 3, Pick 87
Round 5, Pick 155

I'm not heading it just saying we got nothing from them.  That said Cine was beat out by Bynum anyways. 

I got the feeling they drafted Cine more as a Harrison Smith replacement than to play alongside him. He did a lot of what Smith does for Minnesota while he was at Georgia.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3954
Post on old board: 9428

As of now we have

Round 1, Pick 23
Round 3, Pick 87
Round 5, Pick 155

I got the feeling they drafted Cine more as a Harrison Smith replacement than to play alongside him. He did a lot of what Smith does for Minnesota while he was at Georgia.

That’s when I figured out that KAM was gonna be a good GM. He had already figured out Smith would have to be replaced sooner than later. 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 430
Post on old board: 9527

Any ideas on the new DC? Heard Flores name thrown around but he was fired as a HC and had some drama. Not sure about him yet. 

also, what about Wisconsin’s former DC Leonard? 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy06

Any ideas on the new DC? Heard Flores name thrown around but he was fired as a HC and had some drama. Not sure about him yet. 

also, what about Wisconsin’s former DC Leonard? 

Flores wasn’t fired for “team performance” and would be a solid choice. I’m sure it will be someone KOC has already worked with so speculating is just that. I could see Mike Pettine getting the job also. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Flores would be a solid choice.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7473

IMO sports should be more than just winning/losing championships. As Minnesota fans our teams very rarely win championships so we often experience/focus more on the negative side. Sports are incredibly wonderful when it is about team work, community pride/togetherness, entertainment, enjoyment of the game rather than always focusing on well in the end it didn't matter since they lost in the playoffs.

What do you think this child is going to remember more the Vikings losing to the Giants or what KJ Osborn did?

https://twitter.com/KJ_Osborn/status/1617619892097933313  

Multiple decades later I don't remember one home run of Eddie Murray's Hall of Fame baseball career but I remember him ignoring me as a kid when I asked for his autograph. ? 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Agreed.  Just like I will never forget how big a dick Chris Carter was.  Or how even in my 30s I geeked out talking to Chris Doleman and Henry Thomas and how nice they were to me despite it.

The Rube reacted
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

Maybe the Purple can pry Rob Ryan from the Raiders for the D coordinator position. I'm sure a couple #1's will do it.  ? ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7647
Post on old board: 35040

Agreed.  Just like I will never forget how big a dick Chris Carter was.  Or how even in my 30s I geeked out talking to Chris Doleman and Henry Thomas and how nice they were to me despite it.

Stefon Diggs is known to play catch with a kid in pre-game. And Doleman was indeed a great dude, interacting with fans. Scott Studwell, also. Awesome guy. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12504
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/kare11/status/1622715992450236437

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I can't remember if I posted this here earlier, but Jared Allen is putting a lot of time into curling.  I've seen him at the local curling rink more than once.  He was in the US Open in Blaine a month or two ago, as was Shuster.

I heard he is paying a coach good money to train him to get to Olympic Level of play.  Looks like it may be working.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4368

Great hire!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7647
Post on old board: 35040

That's a really good hire.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1622726236266168320?t=YZhhyvuFlzyYgW-jV-ZW7A&s=19

Would be huge

I am a fan of this.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

About as good an outcome as we could have gotten. We’ll basically have a head coach for offense and a head coach level DC for defense. Will be interesting to see what the scheme will be. Last year he was coaching in the model 3-4 scheme but I don’t know what kind of defenses he ran before being HC in Miami. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

About as good an outcome as we could have gotten. We’ll basically have a head coach for offense and a head coach level DC for defense. Will be interesting to see what the scheme will be. Last year he was coaching in the model 3-4 scheme but I don’t know what kind of defenses he ran before being HC in Miami. 

Leber talked about it this morning a little bit on the Power Trip - Flores teams in Miami played a lot of man coverage and loved to blitz (said he blitzed almost 40% of the time in Miami). He's very reliant on his corners because he loves to pressure the QB. 

From VikingsWire ( https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-patriots-dolphins-brian-flores-kevin-oconnell-bill-belichick/)

Despite having never been a defensive coordinator, Flores has been a defensive play caller for four seasons. Here is how his teams fared via scoring defense.

• 2018 Patriots: 20.31 PPG (7th)
  • 2019 Dolphins: 30.88 PPG (32nd)
  • 2020 Dolphins: 21.12 PPG (6th)
  • 2021 Dolphins: 21.94 PPG (16th)

Bear in mind the Dolphins were actively trying to tank for a couple of those years and 2019 was his first year as head coach there. IIRC when the Dolphins hired him he said something about not running exclusively a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

Update: found the quote here https://clutchpoints.com/dolphins-news-brian-flores-not-worried-about-strictly-3-4-or-4-3-defense

“I’m unable to say I’m 3-4 or 4-3. I’m not wired that way. You have to be scheme versatile. We want to do that. Each game is different. Each opponent is different. Their strengths, their weaknesses are different every week, so every week we’re coming up with a different plan. A lot of that is tied to who you have personnel-wise, what we can do versus what they can do. It could be different every week. I think in this game, you have to be multiple. If you sit in one thing, the coaches are too good. They’ll find a weakness; they’ll take advantage of it. I think you have to be multiple and we’re going to try to do that.”

Obviously the team will need to upgrade at the CB position significantly (and hopefully have the CBs they currently have actually stay healthy - Dantzler and Akayleb Evans both looked very solid in their time on the field this year but their time was limited). We also saw very little out of Andrew Booth this season as he was hurt basically the entire year. His return should at least provide some depth. Lewis Cine has been posting videos on Twitter of his rehab workouts as well so it appears he'll be on track to be ready for training camp. Cine and Harrison Smith seem to be ideal fits for a Flores-type scheme.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Not at Smiths cap hit...for that money they need someone better.  (At this point)

Page 28 / 28