612 Posts
61 Users
154 Likes
19.8 K Views
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5211

I thought Hermantown basically plays a AA schedule? That’s what makes their participation in the A tournament so ridiculous. 

As for Warroad, I’d think they’d have a hard time filling up a AA schedule without blowing all their money on travel. 

Eric Vegoe reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

Hermantown plays 13/25 AA schools in the regular season for 2022-2023.

Warroad plays 5/25 AA schools in the regular season for 2022-2023.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Eric Vegoe reacted
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1236
Post on old board: 5215

Warroad has made it to State two of the past three years. Prior to that, their last appearance was 2010. Their program is in a great place now, but they went 10 years between section 8 titles in between.

Eric Vegoe reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7117
Post on old board: 18942

I am fine with Warroad remaining in A.  As for Hermantown my mama said if you can't say something nice...

Eric Vegoe reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2221
Post on old board: 6782

I can get Warroad not going AA, though you could use Roseau as an example of being in BFE and play in AA.  Hermantown painted themselves into a corner much like St. Thomas did when they were in A.  In the end though, MSHSL hockey isn't a European soccer league where you get sent up or down a league based on how you play.  

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@g-manpuck 

It's more Hermantown's attitude about being in A.  They want to be known as a 'Hockey School' with all the banners.  In their eyes they are the greatest program in the State.  In most others they are criticized and questioned. As for Roseau and Warroad to equal rivals. I like Roseau physiology. They rather go to State once every 10 in AA, than 5 times every 10 in A. 

Eric Vegoe reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Relegation would be hilarious in High School Hockey. Do it between sections of classes.  The winner of 1A moves up to 1AA and the worst team in 1AA moves down to 1A and so on. Watch some of these 1A schools squirm. 

And btw... j/k.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 577

Posted by: @gator

Relegation would be hilarious in High School Hockey. Do it between sections of classes.  The winner of 1A moves up to 1AA and the worst team in 1AA moves down to 1A and so on. Watch some of these 1A schools squirm. 

And btw... j/k.

I know you are just kidding, but relegation in HS is a disastrous concept. 

Many schools find success on the backs of a big, strong senior class-- which, of course graduate that year, so if a school is promoted to AA they would be left fielding a largely inexperienced JV team against some of the biggest schools in the state.  That won't end well for the program. 

In my opinion (unpopular, I know) the better solution is to play the A tournament at Ridder or Mariucci altogether.  Still a special place, but let the X be a real special reward.  That may change how a school like Hermantown would approach it-- if they knew the TV coverage wouldn't be there unless they made the jump to AA (which I think they would do just fine at, may I add).  But putting a Dodge County team in AA (which went because of enrollment changes) didn't go so hot the year after they finished #2 in Class A-- and that was in Section 1AA.

And to your point, New Prague (who won Section 1A last year) was in Section 2AA for four years before that, getting to face Minnetonka, Prior Lake (2x) and Eden Prairie in the opening rounds.  So most successful 1A schools get where they are in the spectrum of things. But the worst team in Section 1AA might be a .500 team in Section 1A even, as the Big 9 AA schools struggle against the good Class A conference teams there in the regular season. 

Eric Vegoe and gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@skiumahlaw 

One reason I like your idea... I get to use my AA consolation tickets.  Cause for being a season ticket holder for the past 20 plus years, I've never went over to Mariucci for the consolation games. I've always gave them away to fans of one of the losing teams on Thu. or friends.  And since last year since they went digital they go unused. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1244
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @gator

Hermantown plays 13/25 AA schools in the regular season for 2022-2023.

Warroad plays 5/25 AA schools in the regular season for 2022-2023.

Hermantown HS (continuing) to play single A hockey when their PeeWees & Bantams play AA hockey is a total JOKE…and has been for the past decade, plain & simple. 

Steve MN and gator reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

While relegation is obviously a horrible idea, Hermantown still being class A is absurd.  As SUML points out, yes, some teams make a run based on one or two classes coming through together.  2 years since 2010 that Hermantown wasn't in at least the semi-final and 10 times in the championship game? Yeah, time to put the big-boy pants on and play AA.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

I think you have an argument for Hermantown but Warroad’s recent success was preceded by a period of 10+ years where they missed the state tourney, and they still haven’t one state in all their recent success. If Warroad wins it all this year I would have no problem with that. Hermantown on the other hand… it’s getting old. 

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

I think you have an argument for Hermantown but Warroad’s recent success was preceded by a period of 10+ years where they missed the state tourney, and they still haven’t one state in all their recent success. If Warroad wins it all this year I would have no problem with that. Hermantown on the other hand… it’s getting old. 

Exactly.  Warroad has poked their head out of the deep end a couple years every decade?  That's not a team I'm going to say needs to be moving to AA.

Hermantown is an entirely different discussion.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Warroad’s youth teams play single A at all levels I believe while Hermantown plays AA. And does very well in AA. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Does anyone know off the top of their head what Roseau plays for their feeder systems? 

Milhouse
(@milhouse)
Rep Pts: 12

@gator AA

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @milhouse

@gator AA

Thanks… I can understand the high school traveling and playing AA teams. Though that’s a lot of travel for the youth programs.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 262

Roseau is District 16 Bantam A, and not a good A team. They have around 15 total Bantams. Squirt A's are near bottom of the district. Tough sledding ahead, can't possibly keep AA designation in hs with just over 300 students.

Warroad must win this seasons hs title. They have a great goalie and a first line that can skate with anyone in state regardless of how privileged. Next year 50/50 with EGF. After that, all EGF. On paper anyway. Fyi, EGF now designating PWAA, BAA youth and A hs. Same as Hermantown and Alexandria.

I just wondered what the money line would have been on Wayzata #1 AA playing two publics in a row with less than 350 enrollment and not winning either? That's all, I don't have a dog in the fight.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@midevil-bowievil 

So Roseau's feeder system is A not AA? Just HS varsity is AA.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

First year of a BA. Had been AA for years. Still have good PWAA. I don't know if their association will bounce back and forth or what. I think the writing is on the wall.

We may not see another AA champ from outside the metro. ??? Football and hockey, numbers very important. This isn't basketball.

BetterDeadThenRed
(@betterdeadthenred)
Rep Pts: 18

Sounds like Polaris needs to do some hiring

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Posted by: @betterdeadthenred

Sounds like Polaris needs to do some hiring

I had a bunch of friends from Roseau, Warroad in the early 90's.  They can absolutely attest to the recruiting battles between Polaris and Marvin Windows for hockey players.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@don-adams-wheel-of-justice 

Would I rather work in glass and framing or recreational vehicles?!?!?!

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

What in the heck happened to Blaine Hockey.   2-16 on the year.    They have never been this bad.   

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @bert

What in the heck happened to Blaine Hockey.   2-16 on the year.    They have never been this bad.   

Are they out of Brodzinskis?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Andover is my guess, but I think it robbed Anoka much more. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @bert

Lack of numbers is a big part.  Some kids have gone to greener pastures (Austin Burnevick).  I think only 2 kids were cut at tryouts.  They have a very good goalie who takes a lot of SOG.

Numbers will pick up in a couple years.  Six bantam teams this year.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Stop me when this sounds familiar… Hill-Murray beats White Bear Lake in a big game. 

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

Went to Warroad/Moorhead game last night. No surprise Warroad handled them without any problem.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Assigning every Wild player a high school hockey teams. 
https://10ktakesmn.com/minnesota-high-school-wild-players/?fbclid=IwAR1U1VQkl5Q_osLUdk2LcdxywsCCAc-gKfsIl0PSekoF8iuJi_P4fPvRrm8&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Reaves to Roseau fits with salad bar IQ Dustin Byfuglien from there.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Section seedings are starting to get populated on the MSHSL hockey site and I would imagine the balance will be done by tomorrow.  There is drop down in the upper right hand corner to look at the sections.

https://www.mshsl.org/tournaments/2023-state-class-aa-hockey-boys-tournament

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Gal Skippers are going back to state, the boys will be a #1 or 2 seed in section 2.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

AA Sections Bracket…

40ADC896 EE5B 4E59 BD19 D4CF60029B7F

MATT and MikeEruzione11 reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

@gator 

That's wicked cool!  Thanks for posting.

@Youngeagle - FYI

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator reacted
Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Big shout out to the Fergus Falls Otters girls team on their trip to state!  Head coach Tim Lill and assistant coach Todd Hershner are friends of mine who have done an amazing job creating a winning culture up there.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@greyeagle 

Saw this and had to post. So much easier having the all 8 AA Sections on one link than 8.

Greyeagle reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

My for 'kicks & giggles' sections predictions for AA... lol!!!

(Sections Rankings/LPH Rankings)

1AA: (2/NR) Rochester Mayo over (1/10) Lakeville South

2AA: (2/1) Tonka over (1/4) Chanhassen

3AA: (3/NR) Rosemount over (1/9) STA (sorry @youngeagle )

4AA: (1/12) White Bear over (3/17) Hill

5AA: (1/5) Rodgers over (2/8) Maple Grove

6AA: (2/2) Edina over (1/6) Wayzata

7AA: (2/3) Andover over (1/16) Duluth East

8AA: (2/NR) Roseau over (1/18) Moorhead 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Rosemount??? It’s that fun time of year where anything can happen. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @youngeagle

Rosemount??? It’s that fun time of year where anything can happen. 

Looked for 2 dark horses. First, Mayo in 1AA. Hasn't been to State since around 2000 and the last Rochester school since Century in 2009 I think. Second, Rosemount, the anything can happen team. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Girls hockey state tourney still on despite threat of major snowstorm (msn.com)

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2624
Post on old board: 7833

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2396
Post on old board: 11850

Article about how Gentry Academy is having a hard time finding opponents for their hockey teams.

https://m.startribune.com/high-school-girls-hockey-minnesota-state-tournament-preview-gentry-academy/600253183/

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Good.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Gentry should play Tier 1 just like Shattuck-St. Mary's. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

As a person who has no issues with private schools like St. Thomas/Hill/Benilde competing in Double A MSHSL Hockey, I am all in favor of this.  Gentry is not a normal high school...

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Eric Vegoe and gator reacted
HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 529

If I were an AD I wouldn't schedule Gentry either.  That said, it's a little disingenuous for some of these large public schools to whine about unfair advantages when significant portions of their roster are made up of transfers.  

Eric Vegoe reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @hockeybum

If I were an AD I wouldn't schedule Gentry either.  That said, it's a little disingenuous for some of these large public schools to whine about unfair advantages when significant portions of their roster are made up of transfers.  

Transfers, yes.  But, they're transfers that are required to deal with a normal school workload, not have "hockey practice" as a scheduled activity during normal school hours.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

This Billy Hengen that's mention in the article is a SCSU grad/hockey player.  I don't know him personally, but know of him well that he's friends with the Lucius family and he's the one mentioned on the GPL Podcast by @vegoe when talking about the Lucius family, (though Vegoe couldn't remember his name).  He's not a bad guy in my opinion. Played high school at Holy Angles and was an assistant coach at AHA under Greg Trebil and was the head coach at well. Just he's coaching at an hockey academy and needs to play on the Tier 1 level. Really don't know much about Gentry's academics, but I assume it's not near SSM or Hill, Breck, BSM, Edina and other schools.  

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Transfers, yes.  But, they're transfers that are required to deal with a normal school workload, not have "hockey practice" as a scheduled activity during normal school hours.

Having "hockey practice" as a schedule activity during normal school hours is about legit and honest as Brandon 'Bochenski Bucks'. I almost guarantee you it's very similar to a 'captions practice' in the preseason or over the summer in most to all sports.  The coaches may not be there, but they have directed to whomever is in charge what to do.  So "hockey practice" is the prefect way to put it. 

Page 3 / 13