gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

RTB…
SKI-U-MAH…
GO GOPHERS!!!

The last 4 minutes, might be some of the most fun in some time!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I’ll take it but ??? 

gator reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7318
Post on old board: 10120

I made it home from work in time to see the last 30 seconds of the game.  At least I got to see the important part.  ?

I think everyone in that stadium should be happy the game was today, and not Saturday.  ?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7580

With PJ Fleck as coach the Gophers are 16 and 7 in one score games.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4646
Post on old board: 28736

Beauner reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3393
Post on old board: 30840

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1697454278561144832?s=20

The body control on this is phenomenal.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1161
Post on old board: 6069

Just got home from the game.  What a tough watch.  O-line had no push.  Running backs went down very easy after being touched.  I can't recall one explosive play all game for us.  Defense bailed us out in the end.  The two best players, Walley and Nubin, showed up when needed.  That being said, I'd rather win that game than lose it.

If there was ever a season to play three cupcakes to start, this would be it.  A lot of turnover in important positions where a couple of easier games to find a rhythm would be nice.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7118
Post on old board: 18942

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/1697490079835451782?t=_YRoy9EiHcFEoNnnaYlzxw&s=19

btw where was CAB? Are they being cautious with him? I thought he was officially back.

JB
 JB
(@jb)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 39

Posted by: @slap-shot

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/1697490079835451782?t=_YRoy9EiHcFEoNnnaYlzxw&s=19

btw where was CAB? Are they being cautious with him? I thought he was officially back.

The B1G is now the only conference that releases Game Day Availability reports. CrAB was officially listed as Questionable for last night's game.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

When Jackson made the catch, his front leg was in an awkward position.  He was stretched way out, but was lifting it up while trying to get his back leg down.  I'm surprised he didn't tear his knee apart when he landed.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

I only saw the 2nd half last night... But I noticed that MN seemed to get away with a lot of false starts. It always seemed like the snap was just a split second late vs what the line was doing. And yes this is a Nebraska fan complaining below, but it is hard not to be upset over it when it also happens on the game tying TD against your team.

https://twitter.com/AtTheBuzzer1/status/1697465706751643772?s=20

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

That’s been a sticking point in the NFL for a few years now. They let the Offensive Tackles get that split second start. I will say the Nebraska fans didn’t complain when the same thing happened earlier in the 4th quarter with 10 minutes left and their DE split that gap for a sack. 

It was a weirdly officiated game last night. For a while it seemed like they didn’t want to call any penalties. Holdings and pass interference didn’t exist. Both ways. They had to huddle like 5 times to figure out wtf was happening. It wasn’t pretty. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I am not convinced the ball reached the goal line before Sims was down, and Nebraska got away with 2 obvious defensive PI calls at the very least.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

I only saw the 2nd half last night... But I noticed that MN seemed to get away with a lot of false starts. It always seemed like the snap was just a split second late vs what the line was doing. And yes this is a Nebraska fan complaining below, but it is hard not to be upset over it when it also happens on the game tying TD against your team.

https://twitter.com/AtTheBuzzer1/status/1697465706751643772?s=20

I was surprised they didn't call that a touchdown in the first half TBH but I also don't think the play should have even been reviewable because they tried to run another play and took a pre-snap penalty on it so "it wasn't a legal snap", which essentially gave Nebraska a free timeout because the referees huddled to call the penalty and then the replay booth buzzed down while they were announcing the penalty. 

As far as the false start/not false start, the Gophers LT has seemingly learned the ways of the NFL left tackles (Green Bay's left tackle has been doing this for seemingly a decade). He gets off the ball before anybody else but "it's so close to the start of the center's motion that it isn't a penalty" apparently. 

Officiating was not good last night. They can point at these two calls if they want but there were two painfully blatant no-calls that went Nebraska's way in the final 3-ish minutes too (namely the safety climbing all over Jackson's back on a deep throw that could have ended up in a touchdown without the uncalled PI). 

The referees seemed content to "let them play" last night for most of what happened during the play (the Gophers roughing the punter call in the first half was also pretty soft as the replays showed the upman grabbed the Gopher rusher and shoved him into the kicker, but that was really the only mid-play penalty that they called that was not blatantly obvious). Other than that I think there was a RTP/Targeting call that was absolutely blatant on Nebraska and a facemask call against Nebraska that was also blatant. The rest were basically pre-snap penalties IIRC. 

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1236
Post on old board: 5215

There's no amount of lipstick you can put on that pig to make it look pretty; it was UGG-LEE. Nonetheless, it's a "W". Get through Eastern Michigan next Saturday with no injuries and then prepare for a trip to Chapel Hill and #21 North Carolina. That will be a good barometer of what kind of team this is.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I was half watching at a bar so I cant speak to much but no angle showed the Nebraska player for sure scored the TD so I am not sure there is much to whine about.  If they had called it a TD in the first place maybe, but there was not enough evidence to say one way or the other.  And the fact they got the review because of a penalty ON THEM is just ridiculous.  That should not be a thing.

The "false start" stuff is annoying as heck, but that is just the standard now.  It is sort of like they give QBs the benefit of the doubt on delay of game.  The amount of snaps you will see in a season where the clock hits zero and they still let the snap go is insane.  I think there is a mandate in the NFL and FBS to let as much of the procedural stuff go to avoid it slowing down the game.  That is why you will also see some questionable offsides (often DEs standing up) get ignored.  They look the other way if it is close.

For as great as the TD catch was...the one he made a couple plays before that where he was out of bounds was just as good.  He had no business making that play close at all and he did.  I was sitting with a buddy (who knows little about sports) and he thought it was a catch.  I explained why it wasn't but then they showed one replay that made me question it for a second.  I then told my friend that a more experienced QB throws that just a bit differently and gives him a better chance.  

This year is going to be up and down, but I think by the end we are going to see what the squad will look like next year.  Athan has the skills but he still is learning.  The pick he threw in the 4th I believe is something you learn how to avoid with more experience.  The line is going to be a work in progress because the offense has been tweaked with the new OCs and the graduating of Mo and Tanner.  It will be frustrating sometimes...but by the end we should be greatly improved.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

That is...INSANE!

Slap Shot reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4473

Was at the game. Great ending and a beautiful night. PJ's clock management and time-out calling is atrocious. That's all I got lol

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Hey at least he didn't burn any TO's in the first few minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5211

Hey at least he didn't burn any TO's in the first few minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

I was gonna say…

Having that final timeout still in the pocket at the end there was huge and a really welcome surprise. ? 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

He called his second timeout on 4th and 10 when there was 28 seconds still left on the play clock. It wasn't a mad rush before the snap or anything, they had plenty of time to still get the play in. He vastly reduced their chances of tying the game/getting ball back if that pass wasn't completed.

Anyways, it was a good win and I don't mean to be negative. I am a PJ fan. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

People always find something to complain about. 

I don't have any issues with PJ's clock management or timeout usage as compared to historical precedent.  Sure the 4th and 10 is questionable, but I think he knows if you don't make that, you're not seeing the ball in a meaningful way again even with 2 timeouts left.  And, absent the turnovers, NE was getting at least one first down a drive.

The officiating evened out.  There was an atrocious missed PI on our last TD drive that helped put us in a desperate position.  There was a terrible missed holding call on Nebraska's last possession a play or two before the INT.  No preseason for these refs to get the cobwebs sorted out.  Even worse when it's a significant conference game to boot.

I thought our defense played well for the most part.  Yea, would have been nice to have a better lock on #7 and not allow him 90+ rushing yards.  But other than that complete debacle on the trick play and the NE QB having a bit too much running freedom, they were good.  You only allow 10 points to a B1G school, that's good.

ST had a couple snafus, obviously the big allowed return to start the 2nd half.  But, the running into the kicker penalty was tough, you could argue he got blocked / pulled into the kicker.  Either way, you have to find a way to not allow that.  But, I thought they otherwise looked fine.  New kicker goes 2/3 on FGs and makes his XP, only miss is a 50+ yarder - I'll take it.  I think this squad will shake those first game jitters and settle in.

Offense could use something.  2 yds per carry isn't going to cut it in the B1G.  Athan will continue to grow and improve, so not too worried there.  He's getting his feet under him.  But something needs to shift in the OL and RB rooms.  NE was getting through too easy in the 2nd half and our RBs had nowhere to go.

This is our 5th win against NE in a row.  I don't care who the team is, that's hard to do unless you're OSU or Mich.  I said I would have bet on Nebraska with the points before the game and it played like expected.  NE is much improved from a discipline and fundamentals perspective and were hyped for their first game with Matt Rhule.  They had nothing to lose and MN had everything to lose.  This team, in the "olden" days, loses that game.  That's what I love about what PJ has done.  No quit, no panic, just go make the play.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

No Gophers FB coach has won more total games than Fleck since Warmath more than 50 years ago, none have had a higher Win% since Bierman more than 80 years ago, none gave won 4 straight bowl games, none have put more players into the NFL - all while running a clean program - and some still want him gone because of Iowa.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

anyone who wants PJ gone is insane. 

trixR4kids and The Rube reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

btw slight correction - Mason won more total games but it was in 10 seasons. Fleck currently is outpacing him on total Win%, BT Win% and bowl game Win%.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7742
Post on old board: 35040

Total wins don't really matter. It's Win %, as far as that goes. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

Total wins don't really matter. It's Win %, as far as that goes. 

Yeah it's why I noted the higher Win%. 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The Rube reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

He called his second timeout on 4th and 10 when there was 28 seconds still left on the play clock. It wasn't a mad rush before the snap or anything, they had plenty of time to still get the play in. He vastly reduced their chances of tying the game/getting ball back if that pass wasn't completed.

Except he did it to devise the play.  If the play doesn't work that TO likely didn't matter.  That play was the game.  Sorry but that criticism doesn't really fly in this specific instance imho.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I would bet 99% of football coaches call a timeout there. 4th and 10 on the what, 13? Needing a TD to tie? I can't think of a halfway decent coach who doesn't call timeout to try to make sure everyone is on the same page and they have the play they KNOW they want.

HandyNotDan reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

I thought our defense played well for the most part.  Yea, would have been nice to have a better lock on #7 and not allow him 90+ rushing yards.  But other than that complete debacle on the trick play and the NE QB having a bit too much running freedom, they were good.  You only allow 10 points to a B1G school, that's good.

You could make the argument on his big chunk run in the first half (30ish yards) the RT got away with a block in the back right as he got to the edge. It was tough to tell but he was certainly behind the Gophers edge guy and seemed to make forcible enough contact to push him out of his lane.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

I would bet 99% of football coaches call a timeout there. 4th and 10 on the what, 13? Needing a TD to tie? I can't think of a halfway decent coach who doesn't call timeout to try to make sure everyone is on the same page and they have the play they KNOW they want.

In my opinion, you’re looking at it through tinted glasses because you know the result of what happened and it worked in our favor. A 4th and 10 in the NFL has a conversion rate of 27%. I can’t find a specific stat, but I have to imagine it’s worse in NCAAs with overall quarterback play. That’s not a high percentage play regardless if you call a timeout or not. The Gophers would have had a good chance to get the ball back if they kept that second timeout. Nebraska more than likely would have jammed 3 runs.

Agree to disagree.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I am not looking at it through tinted glasses because of the result.  It was the right decision because of the team he has and the situation.  If this was last years team I would agree with you a bit more because it was veteran laden especially the QB.  Athan is a young QB and he already over threw almost the exact same throw 2 plays prior.  You call TO, calm him down and make sure everyone knows what is going on.  

2 TOs means one first down all but ends the game anyways.  The chances of getting the ball back are slim and even if you somehow do you are then playing TD to tie...and that will not be easy with no TOs and most likely the majority of the field and everyone knowing what plays are coming.  The game is that 4th down play.  

Keeping that TO is old school thinking...younger coaches would rather take their chance when the ball is in their hand not worry about the hypothetical possibility later on.  And lets be frank, the majority of the time when coaches play the TO game it never works.  In fact, I would bet the majority of the time the team gets the first down so the TOs are worthless anyways.

Its funny, every year people whine about PJs TO calling, and every year he never changes and the team does just fine. (rarely do the TOs matter) its almost as if in the gran scheme of things TOs aren't as important as we were lead to believe...

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Posted by: @snowcool08

Just got home from the game.  What a tough watch.  O-line had no push.  Running backs went down very easy after being touched.  I can't recall one explosive play all game for us.  Defense bailed us out in the end.  The two best players, Walley and Nubin, showed up when needed.  That being said, I'd rather win that game than lose it.

If there was ever a season to play three cupcakes to start, this would be it.  A lot of turnover in important positions where a couple of easier games to find a rhythm would be nice.  

problem is we don’t have cupcakes. UNC will be a tough road match against a top 25 team and potential Heisman QB. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I mean we play Eastern Michigan next week...

And I am not all that scared of UNC.  They were 9-5 last year and just 3-3 at home.  Last year they lost at home to Georgia Tech. 

I am not saying its a lock, but they seem to be about the same talent level as us only they throw the ball all the time like we used to run the ball all of the time.

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 414

Good point, and I like our defense a lot better right now against throwing teams than running teams. Getting Lindenberg back would help too.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I listened to Ryan Burns on gopher gridiron podcast and he said the Gophers staff expects Lindenberg back for North Carolina

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

They need to blow the door if E Mich.    UNC is going to be a super tough game  if they start 3-0 who knows where this team will go

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

They have to figure out how to get rushing yards or they are cooked.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

This may or may not be an issue, but it sure looked like they don't have any RBs with size nor breakaway speed. I could be wrong on speed (just my eye test from the first game) but looking at the roster Williams is the only one listed at 6' and with that he's just even. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

This may or may not be an issue, but it sure looked like they don't have any RBs with size nor breakaway speed. I could be wrong on speed (just my eye test from the first game) but looking at the roster Williams is the only one listed at 6' and with that he's just even. 

I think they have speed, we just didn't get to see it.  I think unique to this group from a Mo and other backs is their speed.  However, they haven't proven they can find the hole, make someone miss, or evade a tackle for us to know if speed is real or perceived.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Tyler and Darius Taylor both have plenty of speed. Tyler needs blocking up front to get to use his speed because he's too small to bounce off tackles in the Big Ten. Taylor is a true freshman but he's hyper talented. I would not be surprised if he and RS freshman Zach Evans (slightly faster, less breaking tackles version of Ibrahim) end up being the two leading rushers by season's end if they stay healthy. I think Tyler got the nod and most carries last week because it was a western division matchup and Tyler is a 5th year player. 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

Crab didn’t play in the opener and I haven’t heard anything as to why.  Is he still recovering from the injury and out for a few weeks? Maybe I just missed the news in the build up to the season. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

He was listed as questionable and I believe only played one snap.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

That answers the question. Thanks. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

4 & 1 deep in eastern mi territory QB K-whatever (I go no shot at his name!) stutter steps instead of running hard on the bootleg and doesn't get there.  I think if he goes hard he gets the necessary yard.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

4 & 1 deep in eastern mi territory QB K-whatever (I go no shot at his name!) stutter steps instead of running hard on the bootleg and doesn't get there.  I think if he goes hard he gets the necessary yard.

Nice play by the EMU corner to sit on that play. I think Kaliakmanis was shocked to see a guy in front of him. 

Tyler already has more yards on the ground after 1 drive than he had the entire game against Nebraska.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

This team barring massive offensive improvement is going to get steamrolled by Michigan and Ohio State. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Finally...

Tulane Football GIF by GreenWave

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5211

We’re supposed to be beating the crap out of these guys, right?

Page 3 / 20