This isn’t surprising when the ownership sell off creates confusion in the locker room. When pohlads made it all about themselves the players are supposed to feel like it’s all about team? I don’t really blame anyone on that team for feeling anything they do. They were left to finish a season with a direction of rebuilding but yet trust is gone now. If you were a player on the twins with a contract year coming up you almost have to feel like trade bait knowing what just happened. It’s gotta be hard to crank up the intensity consistently after the big break up for some of the players that were just in the post season a couple years ago.
The problem is he's been statistically one of the worst hitters in baseball over the last 20 months. If he wants to get paid to "take care of himself and his family" you'd think he'd take a step back and realize whatever he's trying to do without the assistance of the coaching staff is not working and he'd go into the film room and start making some adjustments to get back to the guy that had Twins fans and all of MLB in a tizzy for how great he was hitting. Most of the changes they'd make at this point aren't massive swing changes. They're more likely hand starting position, load position, etc. They aren't going to overhaul his entire swing path in-season. But minor changes like changing your hand setup or load setup can be done in a couple days worth of work and pay immediate dividends.
And that’s fair, I don’t know Royce or what he’s saying at the dinner table I’m just sayin I get his frustration with the organization and probably can’t wait for this season to be over. His performance isn’t typical Royce I don’t know if his care level is where it should be either right now.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”
― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
Falvey: "I take personal responsibility for the fact that we did not meet team goals"
Also Falvey (to Rocco): "You're fired"
Of course, if there were any justice in the world, the ones getting fired would be the Pohlads.
There can be some. Fans should avoid Target Field next season like the plague and any half way decent free agent would be best advised to act like the Twins don't even exist.
They are currently 24th in the league for average attendance this year. If the owners don't care now about that I doubt dropping further is going to move the needle.
The Athletic is reporting that the Twins are hiring former Twins bench coach Derek Shelton as their new manager.
Shelton was bench coach under Molitor and Rocco before getting hired by the Pirates to manage their team.
He's got experience, although the Pirates were mostly ass the entire time he was there.
It ultimately won't matter who manages the team if the players they have that were supposed to carry this franchise for the next few years don't play to their capabilities, but I don't hate the hire. I don't love it, either. But he's likely going to be fine if the players (like Lewis, Wallner, Lee, Keaschall, and Buxton) play well. He's likely not going to be fine if they don't. Because god knows the Pohlads won't sink another dime into the team.