Gophers 2026 Off Se...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


[Closed] Gophers 2026 Off Season

1,568 Posts
111 Users
1291 Reactions
48.8 K Views
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Keeping an eye of Ziemer and Mooneys socials to see if there are any changes. 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 9:26 am
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1353
Rep Pts: 3651
Post on old board: 6782
 

Why would they go somewhere else to be an also ran?  Rather than stay here and be the leaders who bring back the glory to the best program in college hockey?  


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 10:05 am
Coach Klein
(@coach-klein)
Wooger Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 64
Rep Pts: 324
 

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Why would they go somewhere else to be an also ran?  Rather than stay here and be the leaders who bring back the glory to the best program in college hockey?  

It’s all about the Benjamins.  

Not saying it is for everyone, but this  is one explanation for why they might leave. 

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 11:35 am
raindog
(@raindog)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 16
Rep Pts: 116
 

Benjamin Barr for instance.  Sorry.  


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 1:55 pm
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 164
Rep Pts: 680
 

Posted by: @coach-klein
↑

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑

Why would they go somewhere else to be an also ran?  Rather than stay here and be the leaders who bring back the glory to the best program in college hockey?  

It’s all about the Benjamins.  

Not saying it is for everyone, but this  is one explanation for why they might leave. 

 

 

Money can make people do some interesting things.  And…every man has his price.

But how many programs are going to consult with you as a player when selecting a new coach, or changing the program in a significant way?  Also, you know your role here.  You’re going to be getting top line/PP1 minutes at a blue blood Big Ten program with an eye on development and your future in the NHL.  At a school with the tier one coaches and facilities.  

But stronger men have folded for less…

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 5:36 pm
Gopherpuck44
(@gopherpuck44)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 93
Rep Pts: 208
 

I guess no portal entries on day 1 is a good sign?

 

I hate seeing our rivals in the frozen four while I patiently wait for this thread to start lighting up. 

The season North Dakota is having shows how quickly things can turn around if you are aggressive with filling out your roster. I hope Larson can do the same. 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 9:07 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @gopherpuck44
↑

I guess no portal entries on day 1 is a good sign?

 

I hate seeing our rivals in the frozen four while I patiently wait for this thread to start lighting up. 

The season North Dakota is having shows how quickly things can turn around if you are aggressive with filling out your roster. I hope Larson can do the same. 

it's a sunday and we're early. i don't think the compliance office is going to be exactly burning the midnight oil to get guys entered. but its very reassuring we haven't seen Ziemer sign imo

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 9:14 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

“No changing teams on the sabbath, Palm Sunday to boot.”

- Jesus, probably


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 29, 2026 10:35 pm
Delafield Gopher, Greyeagle, Boats and 2 people reacted
Johnny Five
(@johnny-five)
Wooger Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 112
Rep Pts: 352
 

Today would be a nice day to officially see who is coming on board with Larson's staff.  


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 7:27 am
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 190
Rep Pts: 700
 

@johnny-five
Fwiw Larson mentioned “a week or so” for announcing his staff on last nights fox 9 interview


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 11:26 am
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Ziemer just did an ad for Affinity. Hopefully that’s a good sign.


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 11:38 am
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

Who’s on the staff? What players are sticking around? I’m fully aware that I’m being impatient but…


Intensifies Starship Troopers GIF

 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 5:34 pm



gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 413
Rep Pts: 1051
 

The Gophers just need a couple of tweaks to be really good. This team beat every team that's left in the Frozen Four. I remain positive and can't wait for next season.


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 5:38 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2081
Rep Pts: 6321
Post on old board: 15139
 

They did but getting lucky 1/4 times vs Michigan and in the Denver game isn't exactly a sign that they can consistently compete with teams like that. I do like what little I've heard from Larson and hopefully he can at least get the blue line back to being respectable next year, hopefully in 2-3 years it'll be elite.


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 5:59 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

My 4 hopes--

1. I hope that the people who were against this hire gives him a chance.

2. I hope people will be patient with next years team. There will be improvement, but not sure if it will be a Whioux like turnaround in year 1. The main goal in year 1 should be making the tourney. The Frozen Four would be an unbelievable accomplishment. 

3. I hope people will give whichever players stay,  more grace than they gave the  players this year.

4. I hope this site will be more positive next year.


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 6:21 pm
Greyeagle, Steve MN, g-manpuck and 9 people reacted
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1010
Rep Pts: 2900
 

Posted by: @trixr4kids
↑

They did but getting lucky 1/4 times vs Michigan and in the Denver game isn't exactly a sign that they can consistently compete with teams like that. I do like what little I've heard from Larson and hopefully he can at least get the blue line back to being respectable next year, hopefully in 2-3 years it'll be elite.

Really uncool to be level-headed.

I think you could argue they are 2-3 players away from being a solid tourney team, but those positions (first line center/top pairing defense) are the hardest to find. Maybe Larson has some magic.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 7:01 pm
trixR4kids reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4427
Rep Pts: 13185
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

My 4 hopes--

1. I hope that the people who were against this hire gives him a chance.

2. I hope people will be patient with next years team. There will be improvement, but not sure if it will be a Whioux like turnaround in year 1. The main goal in year 1 should be making the tourney. The Frozen Four would be an unbelievable accomplishment. 

3. I hope people will give whichever players stay,  more grace than they gave the  players this year.

4. I hope this site will be more positive next year.

Win more than 11 games and it will is my response to #4

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 7:29 pm
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 413
Rep Pts: 1051
 
HEnV47YaIAAivsW

 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 7:31 pm
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

My 4 hopes--

1. I hope that the people who were against this hire gives him a chance.

2. I hope people will be patient with next years team. There will be improvement, but not sure if it will be a Whioux like turnaround in year 1. The main goal in year 1 should be making the tourney. The Frozen Four would be an unbelievable accomplishment. 

3. I hope people will give whichever players stay,  more grace than they gave the  players this year.

4. I hope this site will be more positive next year.

Win more than 11 games and it will is my response to #4

 

My hot take is that we will have more than 11 wins by Thanksgiving next year. 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Mar 30, 2026 9:01 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4427
Rep Pts: 13185
 

Honestly is there any way Tanner Henricks isn’t a Gopher next season?


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:58 am
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 240
Rep Pts: 1060
 

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

first line center/top pairing defense

I think between potential transfers, the CHL, and also just simply a different system for the players to operate in, I think you can shore up that issue fairly quickly if done right.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 10:30 am
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1010
Rep Pts: 2900
 

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

first line center/top pairing defense

I think between potential transfers, the CHL, and also just simply a different system for the players to operate in, I think you can shore up that issue fairly quickly if done right.

It is possible, though takes a delicate touch to pull off. Official portal entries should grant a better picture.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 10:49 am
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 366
Rep Pts: 1236
 

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

first line center/top pairing defense

I think between potential transfers, the CHL, and also just simply a different system for the players to operate in, I think you can shore up that issue fairly quickly if done right.

The entire D corps needs an overhaul this offseason. As it stands, you basically have 1 second pair guy (Whipple) and 1 third pair guy (Rombach) on your roster. If Gruba is willing to be #7 and Mcglaughlin #8 they can stay. Need to bring in 4 other lineup D men to be competitive.  

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 11:22 am
cheeseburgerphil26
(@cheeseburgerphil26)
Lucia Level
Joined: 6 months ago
Posts: 20
Rep Pts: 90
 

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

first line center/top pairing defense

I think between potential transfers, the CHL, and also just simply a different system for the players to operate in, I think you can shore up that issue fairly quickly if done right.

The entire D corps needs an overhaul this offseason. As it stands, you basically have 1 second pair guy (Whipple) and 1 third pair guy (Rombach) on your roster. If Gruba is willing to be #7 and Mcglaughlin #8 they can stay. Need to bring in 4 other lineup D men to be competitive.  

 

 

Realistically will only bring in 1 or 2 guys. I feel like Henricks will be one of them. We’re just going to have to hope someone on this roster takes a good leap next year. 

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 11:39 am



Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @gopherpete
↑

Posted by: @boosker14
↑

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

first line center/top pairing defense

I think between potential transfers, the CHL, and also just simply a different system for the players to operate in, I think you can shore up that issue fairly quickly if done right.

The entire D corps needs an overhaul this offseason. As it stands, you basically have 1 second pair guy (Whipple) and 1 third pair guy (Rombach) on your roster. If Gruba is willing to be #7 and Mcglaughlin #8 they can stay. Need to bring in 4 other lineup D men to be competitive.  

I had a nightmare last night where I was watching us get shelled in the upcoming season opener and seething about how we didn’t get Burkholder, Henricks, or Burnevik after they all entered the portal this offseason. Ominous

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 12:06 pm
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 164
Rep Pts: 680
 

@walker-barely-know-her Can you have a dream where Maya Hawke shows up at my house and asks me on a date?


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 1:42 pm
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 

Well Nathan Airey is the first player in the portal for Minnesota this off-season.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 3:58 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2081
Rep Pts: 6321
Post on old board: 15139
 

I think we all expected that to happen, good luck to him.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 4:00 pm
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1010
Rep Pts: 2900
 

Posted by: @trixr4kids
↑

I think we all expected that to happen, good luck to him.

Was almost assuredly going to happen quickly. Best to him, wherever he ends up.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 4:09 pm
TheBirdman reacted
Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2260
Rep Pts: 6850
 

Let the addition by subtraction begin. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 4:38 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Best of luck to Airey. Good teammate who could’ve pouted when LDP came in. TBH we could do worse for a backup for next year so I’d rather he’d stick around but get why he’s going 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 4:40 pm
Greyeagle, gopheritall, TheBirdman and 1 people reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4427
Rep Pts: 13185
 

I could see him getting playing time at a place like Anchorage or a lower tier CCHA school. Certainly wouldn’t happen here. 

He was a good recruit out of juniors. BCHL goaltender of the year. Just never caught on in college. Best of luck to him.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 4:55 pm
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Jess is saying the staff has been selected and background checks just need to be completed. Very curious if Cullen is on the staff without a degree. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 5:41 pm
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 634
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Best of luck to Airey. Good teammate who could’ve pouted when LDP came in. TBH we could do worse for a backup for next year so I’d rather he’d stick around but get why he’s going 

Is Barto an option --- think he had a nice at Northern Michigan.

Might be out of eligibility though.

we kid...we kid...

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 6:06 pm
upnorthkid reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

Strauss Mann played at Michigan for a thousand years but he might have some eligibility left. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 6:20 pm
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 

Posted by: @karlsson
↑

Strauss Mann played at Michigan for a thousand years but he might have some eligibility left. 

Don't you know StraussMann is all one word?

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 6:30 pm
Greyeagle reacted



Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Jess is saying the staff has been selected and background checks just need to be completed. Very curious if Cullen is on the staff without a degree. 

Cullen will be going into the player development role that Paul Martin had before. I'll be interested to see if he finishes his degree so he could make the path to being a college coach easier down the road.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 7:21 pm
cheeseburgerphil26
(@cheeseburgerphil26)
Lucia Level
Joined: 6 months ago
Posts: 20
Rep Pts: 90
 

Posted by: @eric-vegoe
↑

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Jess is saying the staff has been selected and background checks just need to be completed. Very curious if Cullen is on the staff without a degree. 

Cullen will be going into the player development role that Paul Martin had before. I'll be interested to see if he finishes his degree so he could make the path to being a college coach easier down the road.

 

 

Thats huge and hopefully even more insurance that Joey Cullen is also going to come.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 7:45 pm
scubasteve2727
(@scubasteve2727)
Rookie
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 8
Rep Pts: 8
 

@eric-vegoe Do we expect any one on current staff to be retained?


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 7:50 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter
 

FWIW, In addition to the Airey news, the Strib writers seem to indicate Ziemer is staying.

The Gophers also received an indication that leading scorerBrodie Ziemer plans to return for his junior season in 2026-27. Ziemer announced on Instagram that he is teaming with Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union, which is a name, image and likeness partner with the Dinkytown Athletes collective.

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/2039145780611600617


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 8:12 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4427
Rep Pts: 13185
 

Posted by: @eric-vegoe
↑

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Jess is saying the staff has been selected and background checks just need to be completed. Very curious if Cullen is on the staff without a degree. 

Cullen will be going into the player development role that Paul Martin had before. I'll be interested to see if he finishes his degree so he could make the path to being a college coach easier down the road.

 

So Cullen can’t go out and recruit but if a kid were on a visit he could sell him on the program, right? He can “recruit” as long as it happens within the confines of 3MAM?

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:01 pm
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1010
Rep Pts: 2900
 

Assuming Laylin is the top assistant. Curious if Gordon stays or if Martin slides into assistant slot...


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:21 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4427
Rep Pts: 13185
 

Posted by: @bluebandit24
↑

Assuming Laylin is the top assistant. Curious if Gordon stays or if Martin slides into assistant slot...

Both could technically. Vegoe broke that Cullen will be in the player dev role which is not one of the three assistants. We know Laylin and that’s it so far.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:39 pm
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 425
Rep Pts: 1345
 

Martin and Gordon could both be on the staff I believe. Four paid coaches with Larson, Laylin, Martin and Gordon. Cullen wouldn't technically be part of the staff. 

seems like Miller may move on or retire. 


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:40 pm
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1010
Rep Pts: 2900
 

Good call both of you. Was neglecting that fact.


 
Posted : Tue. Mar 31, 2026 9:50 pm
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Stauber Level
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 231
Rep Pts: 796
 

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Keeping an eye of Ziemer and Mooneys socials to see if there are any changes. 

 

I just saw this:

 

NHL Rumors: Sabres blue-chip prospect 'plans to return' to college hockey

 

 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 1, 2026 1:13 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @mlhouse
↑

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2
↑

Keeping an eye of Ziemer and Mooneys socials to see if there are any changes. 

 

I just saw this:

 

NHL Rumors: Sabres blue-chip prospect 'plans to return' to college hockey

 

 

 

this is all being taken off him signing a NIL deal locally. Very good sign, but not a certainty (though I've always expected he'd be back and wearing a letter this fall)

 


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 1, 2026 1:32 pm
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2201
Rep Pts: 3161
Post on old board: 5547
 

How can Christian Humphreys be in the transfer portal to the Gophers? Isn’t he still with the Wolverines?


Aloha!

 
Posted : Wed. Apr 1, 2026 1:52 pm



upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

How can Christian Humphreys be in the transfer portal to the Gophers? Isn’t he still with the Wolverines?

he left Michigan last year early in the year and has played in Kitchener (OHL) since last year.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 1, 2026 1:56 pm
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Bonin Level
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 315
Rep Pts: 1090
Post on old board: 5728
 

I'm going to need a few upperclassmen to stick around after "committing" before I trust they are going to do that anytime soon...


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 1, 2026 8:19 pm
Page 8 / 32

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad