(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @bert

Again did I miss it.  Were Nevers and Koster asked to comeback?

Is that something they've ever made known to the public?

yeah they announced the big returners last year via twitter and instagram.  

Not what I'm referring to.  I'm talking about whether or not they were "asked to comeback".  

We know nothing.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

Not what I'm referring to.  I'm talking about whether or not they were "asked to comeback".  

GPL has designated Koster and Nevers as next years Captains even though nobody knows if they're coming back. Gotta love it!

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7604

Late in the season coach said that there was a good chance two of the three seniors would be back. Neither Koster or Nevers has entered the transfer portal. Put these two things together and I think it is a safe assumption that they have been given the option to play here for a 5th year (aka been asked back). The question that might still be somewhat up in the air is will either get a pro opportunity that would cause them to decide to move on.

I think it is very likely both will be playing for the Gophers this fall wearing a letter.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7120
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @jupiter

We know nothing.

Exactly.  I just don't think that's something that is ever announced.  

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1816
Post on old board: 8686

Came here for the reactions to Fish winning the unsung hero award and nothing? We are really in off season mode. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7492

Love Fish. Good on him for using his extra year at a great program like Providence but he’ll always be a Golden Gopher.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 845
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @gopherguy05

So to recap:

CONFIRMED:

2 in Vegas vs Air Force/ either UMass or Omaha  (Oct 11-12)

2 in Duluth  (Oct 18-19)

6 officially unaccounted for:

PROBABLE/POSSIBLE

Exhibition (weekend of 10/3-10/5)

2 (probably at home) vs Bemidji

2 vs UST (H&H or at home)

https://twitter.com/BSUBeaversMHKY/status/1787875171350503619

CONFIRMED:

Exhibition @ SCSU 10/5

2 in Vegas vs Air Force/ either UMass or Omaha  (Oct 11-12)

2 in Duluth  (Oct 18-19)

vs Bemidji State 11/14 (Thursday)

@Bemidji State 11/16 (Sat)

24 Big Ten

6 officially unaccounted for:

PROBABLE/POSSIBLE

2 vs UST (H&H or at home)

Mercyhurst--via Vegoe

Alaska via Vegoe

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 90

Is it me or that non-conference schedule not very interesting.

In general, I get wanting to play the in-states and support that idea, but BSU, UST, and Duluth just isn't very compelling.

I know Duluth is a rivalry game (though it doesn't feel like it right now), and yes I realize Duluth has been more successful in the Natty Dept.

Is there ever the possibility that they could play BU / BC in a trip to Boston or UNH / Maine (think they done this before) --- maybe partner with Wiscy, UMich, or the Susies. Again, would love to see them play somebody other than Robert Morris or Mercyhurst.

And, yeah I'm aware of the pairwise implications if you lose so I get not going crazy, but get some exposure to elite East Coast teams may help them when get into the tourney.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

I think Bob wants to get a trip out East to play at least one Boston school but I’m guessing that there are a lot of factors at play. 

ReplyQuote
wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 242

Posted by: @thebirdman

In general, I get wanting to play the in-states and support that idea, but BSU, UST, and Duluth just isn't very compelling.

I know Duluth is a rivalry game (though it doesn't feel like it right now), and yes I realize Duluth has been more successful in the Natty Dept.

Is there ever the possibility that they could play BU / BC in a trip to Boston or UNH / Maine (think they done this before) --- maybe partner with Wiscy, UMich, or the Susies. Again, would love to see them play somebody other than Robert Morris or Mercyhurst.

And, yeah I'm aware of the pairwise implications if you lose so I get not going crazy, but get some exposure to elite East Coast teams may help them when get into the tourney.

EXACTLY! I am bored with playing the Minnesota teams in non conference. A couple games is fine. Play BC or Denver or Other decent East coast teams. You never see many of these teams until tourney time. 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

The Duluth games suck. They are so boring and predictable. They play an excruciatingly suffocating defensive game that has no appeal at all. Sure, it can win you a championship, but as a season ticket holder, I like a more entertaining game.

I'd pass on playing bottom feeders, too. The team doesn't get up for those games and the rink has little electricity. Last year's Robert Morris games were energy suckers. There was no energy outside the rink and no energy inside the rink.

There must be demand for teams like Mercyhurst to play big-name schools because I can't imagine the Gophers would even want to make the trip. 

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4662
Post on old board: 28736

I like the idea of playing BSU...I am done caring about Duluth and honestly most of the old WCHA.  I would rather risk losing playing out East then playing this regional crap every year.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

I.know Vegoe  has said Bob is interested in a series out east, but those logistics are more complicated as they usually will be return games to be negotiated, getting a potential.travel.partner on board, etc .

The buy series are a lot easier to make happen. Lot less negotiations. Just a nice check to get Mercyhurst here for a pair. 

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4709
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @handyman

I like the idea of playing BSU...I am done caring about Duluth and honestly most of the old WCHA.  I would rather risk losing playing out East then playing this regional crap every year.

Two weekends per year for teams from Minnesota/The Dakotas is enough.  Spread out the schedule, get some variety.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @thebirdman

When I first started reading this post I thought you had quoted me but the quote was somehow broken.

I posted very similar thoughts not long ago. I have so very little interest in these NC opponents other than the fact if I can stream the games I at least get to see Gophers hockey.

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

It’s been an over a month since season ended, and we haven’t heard anything on Huglen or Pitlick. Have to assume this is good news. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2263

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

It’s been an over a month since season ended, and we haven’t heard anything on Huglen or Pitlick. Have to assume this is good news. 

neither of them is remotely high in the draft prospect pool for their orgs. obviously something could change when they camp, but as before it would be very surprising if either of them left as neither are NHLers (at this point or probably in the future). 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

neither of them is remotely high in the draft prospect pool for their orgs. obviously something could change when they camp, but as before it would be very surprising if either of them left as neither are NHLers (at this point or probably in the future). 

I think Huglen has a chance. He skates well enough, plays his position well, and has some set-up skills. He doesn't strike me as being edgy and tough enough to last 82 games but who knows anymore. I thought Novak played a soft game in college and he's in the NHL now.

Pitlick obviously has the feet but he's so undisciplined. That sort of thing can be coached but it hasn't taken so far.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If either of them would rather play in the AHL and risk ending up in the coast instead of finishing their degree that’s up to them. Not like they would be stepping into NHL lineups.

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

New 4 year deal with North Dakota begins in 2025-26.  Series in Grand Forks in fall of 2025 and 2027, and at Mariucci in 2026 and 2028.

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1788244487615000922

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12654
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1788274433167143162

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7322
Post on old board: 10120

New 4 year deal with North Dakota begins in 2025-26.  Series in Grand Forks in fall of 2025 and 2027, and at Mariucci in 2026 and 2028.

is this really good news? I couldn’t care less to play them regularly.  Ick.  

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

is this really good news? I couldn’t care less to play them regularly.  Ick.  

2 weekends a year for Minnesota/Dakotas teams.   That's plenty... every other or every 3rd year for any one team.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Ugh friggin boring.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It's better than playing BSU or UST. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Only way I like the und move is if it scratches another regional team from being on the schedule every year. We don’t need to just play local teams non con

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I'd rather play UND one year, then BSU the next, then UST the next, then back to UND, then SCSU, etc, and bringing in other teams, rather than playing the same teams in non-con over, and over, and over.

SkiUMahLaw and Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @steve-mn

I'd rather play UND one year, then BSU the next, then UST the next, then back to UND, then SCSU, etc, and bringing in other teams, rather than playing the same teams in non-con over, and over, and over.

i'd be ok with this as well provided they then find some challenging OOC games.

The only benefit of UND comparatively is they are always highly ranked and will come with some PWR juice (especially on the road for the RPI). It's part of why I hate the UST games right now in that their team and fanbase is massively hyped for the games and get up for it, where Gopher players are probably less so and it can only hurt right now given they're a middling team in a bad conference so losses really hurt and wins add nothing. Ditto for BSU right now. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I agree with Steve in that in a perfect world they'd mix it up a bit more, but as upnorth pointed out I'd rather the NC not be filled with PWR patsies either.

I also realize that it's not as easy as just "snapping fingers" for a perfect schedule, but it does seem there are other PWR teams out there that have managed to make it happen more often than the Gophers.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Seems like this fan base is very Goldilocks when it comes to the schedule. Years ago there weren’t enough local teams on the schedule, now there are too many, etc. While I agree this years schedule is lamer than usual we still have a trip to Vegas in there🤷‍♂️.

And idk about everyone else but I pay money to watch the Gophers play, not the other team.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Seems like this fan base is very Goldilocks when it comes to the schedule. Years ago there weren’t enough local teams on the schedule, now there are too many, etc. While I agree this years schedule is lamer than usual we still have a trip to Vegas in there🤷‍♂️.

And idk about everyone else but I pay money to watch the Gophers play, not the other team.

There was a subset of fans that insisted that the problem with attendance in the first years of the B1G was due to not playing the regional teams.  But, the numbers show this was simply wrong.  The attendance had been dropping for years before the B1G started play, and even with teams like Duluth, UND, etc showing up, attendance was still down after the B1G started up.

Personally, I was saying right away that I didn't like the 4 weekends a year of Minnesota teams/UND on the schedule every season.  A little variety is nice.

And, you're right, I pay to watch the Gophers.  That's what bugged me most about people complaining about what teams the Gophers played and that being an excuse to not show up.  That seemed that they were fans of the teams the Gophers played, not the Gophers.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

When wasn't there enough local teams on the schedule?  I honestly don't remember that all.  We had the friggin Minnesota Tourny at the X for Pete's sake plus another series with whoever wasn't involved after the WCHA died.  The only ones who would have been upset over that were the ones who cared more about the WCHA than the Gophers.

I have zero interest in UND...I honestly don't even watch the games.  Maybe I would if they didn't happen ALL THE TIME but meh.  I am not watching hoping for PWR points I want to be entertained and I find playing the same NC teams every year boring and I honestly tune out.  At least when we played MSU and Michigan in the Showcase that was 1 game against each and was kind of a unique thing since they were rivals in other sports.  UND means nothing to me outside of having a few friends that went there most of whom stopped really caring long ago.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Not watching the UND/Minnesota games is crazy lol. Are you even a fan at that point?

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 655

I love the UND games. With some buddies having gone there and being an NDSU grad, it is one of the more fun series of the year for me. 

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I am a fan of the Gophers first but that doesn't mean I have to love the schedule. 

I mean can't both things be true?  As in I will watch every game that I possibly can, but truth be told I'd rather see them play against for instance Denver instead of Mankato. I'll still watch and love every minute of it, but come on some opponents just get you more jacked than others if you're being honest with yourself. 

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

When wasn't there enough local teams on the schedule?

There always were.  The problem is we had a lot of "Gopher fans" that should have been referred to as "WCHA fans"

dxmnkd316, trixR4kids, HandyNotDan and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 414

Matchups matter and anyone who claims they watch the gophers and not the other team is probably not being completely honest. I get the sentiment, but realistically anyone would gladly take a MN/MI matchup vs a MN/Lindenwood matchup. And attendance proves that the matchup matters, it's why the MI game will be sold out and the Lindenwood game will be lucky to be half full. 

ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 578

Let's remember that the potential opponent has to want to play the Gophers, too.  For as much as I would like to see Boston University or Boston College or even Maine or Providence come to Mariucci, they don't seem to have indicated any willingness or desire to do so.  Apart from UMass or Cornell, you don't see a ton of Hockey East or ECAC teams tripping over themselves to play schools west of Penn State.  They are spoiled-- most of their games are bus rides away, and a trip to Ann Arbor, Madison, or Dinkytown will be a huge travel cost for them. 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I love the Minnesota/UND rivalry. I really enjoy playing against other local teams but I also agree that some variety would be nice. Unfortunately there are only so many NC weekends and every team/program has its own agenda and schedule. I liked playing CC this past season and I’m glad we have DU on the schedule in the future but I really hope we can get BU, BC, or another East Coast blue blood on the schedule soon. At the end of the day though, Gopher hockey is Gopher hockey and I just hope watch a fun and good team on the ice in a full barn. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10665
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I love the Minnesota/UND rivalry. I really enjoy playing against other local teams but I also agree that some variety would be nice. Unfortunately there are only so many NC weekends and every team/program has its own agenda and schedule. I liked playing CC this past season and I’m glad we have DU on the schedule in the future but I really hope we can get BU, BC, or another East Coast blue blood on the schedule soon. At the end of the day though, Gopher hockey is Gopher hockey and I just hope watch a fun and good team on the ice in a full barn. 

Maine!

I'd love to attend an October series in Bangor.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Bring back the WCHA! The old, OLD WCHA!! I’m talking the 1970s WCHA. Michigan, Michigan State, CC, Denver, Michigan Tech, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, UMD, and Notre Dame! That’s the WCHA I want to see 😂

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Was it the 2003 season with the first 2 games were at UNH?  I remember being excited for that series.

As far as the difficulty of expanding your NC schedule including played eastern schools last year:

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BC played '@' Harvard and Notre Dame which I am guessing was a tournament of some sort
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • Denver hosted Yale and played @ASU
  • Michigan hosted Providence, played @SCSU and played @UMASS
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • MTU played 1 each @SLU and CLK
  • Vermont hosted UST
  • UMD hosted NMU and played @COR 
  • I assume many of these have/had return trips

I'm not saying it's easy but as I noted previously a lot of other programs have figured it out.  

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

When is Denver on the schedule?  I'm down for playing Denver.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1246
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @bertogliat

2025 in Denver I think

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1313

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

Let's remember that the potential opponent has to want to play the Gophers, too.  For as much as I would like to see Boston University or Boston College, they don't seem to have indicated any willingness or desire to do so.

I'm hopeful we'll see them on the schedule in a couple years. BC is playing Michigan this year. BU is at North Dakota. Once those contracts are complete it'd make sense to have the Gophers based on what I've heard. Minnesota had to kind of hold back on aggressive scheduling when the B10 was potentially expanding. Also the coach behind the Gopher bench has always been faithful to scheduling the other in-state schools.

Usually on USCHO Liveatjrl puts together a nice google sheet summary... but not yet.

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/college-hockey/men-s-division-i/3873376-2024-25-schedules-thread

dxmnkd316 and SkiUMahLaw reacted
ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 90

@gopher6 That was Thanksgiving Friday (I believe) game that wasn't supposed to be announced, but was anyway.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I believe something was announced that the two schools agreed to play each other in the fall of 2025. I think it’ll be at the Avs home arena. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12654
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

I believe something was announced that the two schools agreed to play each other in the fall of 2025. I think it’ll be at the Avs home arena. 

Hall of Fame game on Thanksgiving weekend of 2025

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

Only 1 call for the WCHA? I remember when there was a large contingent on here crying over not playing WCHA teams enough. Glad to see those quieted down.

I like playing UND, my wife doesn't. I would love to see some eastern blue bloods on the schedule but also support playing Minnesota teams. It is good for the state of hockey. There are only so many spots so those will be years between getting the Bostons on the schedule. Let's just make the tournament every year and play them there. 🙂

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 16