14.6 K Views
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I think this has the potential to be the deepest set of forwards the team has had in a while. I see Pahlsson starting out as the 4th line center, but after the 1st line, the other 3 lines could be pretty equal. I hate to break up Pahlsson and Hendrickson, so I could see that swap. So many possibilities and it will be fun to see how Bob sets his lines and how they mesh. 

Wood-Moore-Snuggy

Kurth-Huglen-Pitlick

Lamb-Clark-Hendrickson

Ziemer-Pahlsson-Nevers

Falloon-Mittelstadt

Chesley-Gruba

Rinzel-Thomas

Koster-Mittelstadt

Whipple-Rud-Begely

Airey-???-Wiese

Whipple as the 7th or 8th D???   

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

Whipple looks like a third pairing guy early in his career. Slots in as 7th D if Koster returns. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Posted by: @bert

I think this has the potential to be the deepest set of forwards the team has had in a while. I see Pahlsson starting out as the 4th line center, but after the 1st line, the other 3 lines could be pretty equal. I hate to break up Pahlsson and Hendrickson, so I could see that swap. So many possibilities and it will be fun to see how Bob sets his lines and how they mesh. 

Wood-Moore-Snuggy

Kurth-Huglen-Pitlick

Lamb-Clark-Hendrickson

Ziemer-Pahlsson-Nevers

Falloon-Mittelstadt

Chesley-Gruba

Rinzel-Thomas

Koster-Mittelstadt

Whipple-Rud-Begely

Airey-???-Wiese

Honestly yeah I have Whipple as the 7th D but then a big gap between him and 8, 9, 10. They’ll likely roll 7 D

ReplyQuote
rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Posted by: @gophs1

watching this interview, two players mentioned UND and Michigan as the rivals. Anyone surprised to see no Wisconsin reference?

Not shocked really

I would actually say that recently our top rival is Michigan.  Lots of competitive games and playoff games.  Wisconsin "rivalry" hasn't really been competitive for a while.  Wisconsin is our #1 rival for football and basketball though.

I feel like UND views us as more of a rival than we view them at this point.  I do also miss having UMD and St. Cloud as rivals.  With all those games being non-conference it just doesn't have the same meaning that it used to.

I live in north West Minnesota so unfortunately I'm surrounded by lots of green.  and it honestly seems they care more about us losing then their own team lol! 

IALTO

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 224

@maroon_and_gold 

I like Nevers and hope he is back. I see Wood, Ziemer, Hendrickson and Pahlsson as 4 full ride players plus a partial for Falloon. I see Brodzinksi and Nelson as 2 full rides and let’s just say Pino was getting one too and a partial for Strobel, that’s still only 3 and a partial leaving while 4 and a partial coming in without Nevers or someone else leaving. Not saying I’m right, who knows what they’re really getting, but that’s just how I see it. 

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @boats

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

@maroon_and_gold 

For what we know as of know it would be Huglen. I don’t think he brings enough offense to crack the top 9 next year unless we see some unexpected transfers/signings. 

If Huglen is the 4th line center for the Gophers next year, I will donate $50 to a charity of your choice. 

Huglen is wearing a letter next year in my mind and centering the second line.

I’m not a Huglen hater I think he’s good and valuable to the team, I just think we need more offensive centers getting guys like Wood and Snuggerud the puck. Pitlick and Lamb started producing more when they were taken off Huglen’s wing. Lamb cooled back down once he was put back on. Kurth hasn’t produced much on Huglen’s wing either. Pitlick and Huglen never really produced offensively either in years past. Feel like Huglen’s the common denominator. 

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Posted by: @rodentsrulejr

Posted by: @gophs1

watching this interview, two players mentioned UND and Michigan as the rivals. Anyone surprised to see no Wisconsin reference?

Not shocked really

I would actually say that recently our top rival is Michigan.  Lots of competitive games and playoff games.  Wisconsin "rivalry" hasn't really been competitive for a while.  Wisconsin is our #1 rival for football and basketball though.

I feel like UND views us as more of a rival than we view them at this point.  I do also miss having UMD and St. Cloud as rivals.  With all those games being non-conference it just doesn't have the same meaning that it used to.

I live in north West Minnesota so unfortunately I'm surrounded by lots of green.  and it honestly seems they care more about us losing then their own team lol! 

That I would believe.  Couldn't believe how many sue fans were in Sioux Falls acting like they just won a natty after a BU goal.

ReplyQuote

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Posted by: @bluebandit24

Whipple looks like a third pairing guy early in his career. Slots in as 7th D if Koster returns. 

I would put him ahead of Koster.  Why not play him and let him get the experience?

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

I would put him ahead of Koster.  Why not play him and let him get the experience?

Koster of 2 years ago looked a lot different than last year.  Assuming Koster was hampered all season by the injury.  If he can get back to normal he can be a difference maker.  I know nothing about Whipple though.  But I don't think you bring Koster back if he's the 7th D. That would be an insult to him.

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 845
Post on old board: 5335

Think it depends on what kind of Koster you get. He never seemed the same after missing time with the injury last year. But two years ago he wasn't that far away from the lacombe Faber, Johnson type defenseman.  If he refinds his stride you don't want to bench that next year that's for sure

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Koster of 2 years ago looked a lot different than last year.  Assuming Koster was hampered all season by the injury.  If he can get back to normal he can be a difference maker.  I know nothing about Whipple though.  But I don't think you bring Koster back if he's the 7th D. That would be an insult to him.

not to mention an unbelievably silly use of a scholarship

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

I don’t think Clark will be a man possessed next season but if you gave me an over/under of 22.5 points I’m taking the over.

I don’t think anyone’s saying Clark will push Huglen to wing, there’s plenty of room for both of them in the top 9. They’ll likely go Moore/Huglen/Clark down the middle with a mystery 4th line center that could change periodically.

that’s going to mean this team scores a hell of a lot and/or he’s getting pp1/2 time coupled with us advancing pretty far in the postseason. We’ve had about 5 forwards/year averaging those numbers since 2019-20. Even with the Cooley team, only 7 total forwards that year hit that mark, with multiple of those guys only getting there because of the regional. 

Not saying he won’t, just that we don’t have many 3rd line guys who do that

Lamb jumped from 8 points to 27 this year. Asking Clark to jump from 11 to 23ish is a reasonable ask considering the increased opportunity he’ll likely get.

as i said, all depends on who bob puts him with. Brody is an interesting guy in terms of his points and shows you how much who you play with and the units you're on matter (you will find your way into points easier playing with the "top line" than with the lower lines as your role/matchups are different). 

He had 6 points in the first 3 games playing with Moore and Snuggy. Bob played line shuffle after our WI debacle and some injuries and then he played with Kurth and Clark and tallied 4 points against Michigan. Then things got somewhat quiet the rest of the year playing with Kurth and Huglen as they, in addition to the senior line, were often the ones drawing the defensive assignments. However through the year he floated between PP1 and 2 and put up 4PPG, 1 assist and an OT goal. That's why I'm saying unless you're putting Clark on the PP, he probably isn't getting there unless this team really scores this year similar to 2 years ago, which I do think is a very real possibility (just with it more balanced across all lines). He may also get PP time, I just don't know who you'd bump when you have Snuggy, Wood, Moore, Pitlick, and Lamb who will be for sures on the PP at forward. Maybe he gets it over Huglen, Kurth, Pahlsson, Ziemer or we put more forwards on our PP (would envision Rinzel and Gruba should both be out there, as would Mittelstadt and Bob has also played Koster on the PP). 

regardless, this is a fun problem to have and should lead to guys pushing each other a lot throughout the year. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Or he enters the Portal and moves on

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4464

Who knows how all of this scholarship stuff plays out in the NIL days now though. IMO if they’re smart they can get creative about how they are getting everyone to “full” scholarship 

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I go back and forth on Koster. I can see both sides of the argument. He had a rough season, but it’s hard to know how much of that was injury related. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I go back and forth on Koster. I can see both sides of the argument. He had a rough season, but it’s hard to know how much of that was injury related. 

to me, most of it seemed transition related in that he maybe was working on trusting that lower body again like he used to, especially in the first half of the year. didn't seem like it was "head/brain" errors. So with another year of S&C, my hope is he could get back. Would imagine there that Bob will look to the trainers to see what they think. If he's still having pain at this point, probably is time to move on. If he's finally feeling good again, think you roll with it as he's one year removed from giving you 30 points from the blueline, which was sorely needed last year. 

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

IIRC Koster is the last of the Lucia recruits. All Motzko once he moves on.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

IIRC Koster is the last of the Lucia recruits. All Motzko once he moves on.

if so, guess we need him to stick around and win it all next year so people can given credit to don and keep claiming motzko isn't that good of a coach. 

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

Koster will be a much better player than Whipple next year, it's an easy decision. These NTDP guys tend to get overrated here, Whipple is fine but I still think he should be in the USHL next year. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@maroon_and_gold 

I like Nevers and hope he is back. I see Wood, Ziemer, Hendrickson and Pahlsson as 4 full ride players plus a partial for Falloon. I see Brodzinksi and Nelson as 2 full rides and let’s just say Pino was getting one too and a partial for Strobel, that’s still only 3 and a partial leaving while 4 and a partial coming in without Nevers or someone else leaving. Not saying I’m right, who knows what they’re really getting, but that’s just how I see it. 

Can almost guarantee you Pino was not getting a full ride

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @jaykay3

Koster will be a much better player than Whipple next year, it's an easy decision. These NTDP guys tend to get overrated here, Whipple is fine but I still think he should be in the USHL next year. 

I think you’re right but I’d still expect him on campus this season. Too risky these days with kids decommitting all over the place. He and Ziemer are a package deal (so was Eiserman😬)

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Wood-Moore-Snuggy

Kurth-Huglen-Pitlick

Lamb-Clark-Hendrickson

Ziemer-Pahlsson-Nevers

Falloon-Mittelstadt

Chesley-Gruba

Rinzel-Thomas

Koster-Mittelstadt

Whipple-Rud-Begely

Airey-???-Wiese

Koster is a 3rd pair guy. His experience and as a captain, will help the back end. If Whipple comes in, he will start out as the 7th guy. I think he could work his way up, and the way Bob uses his defense, he will see a good chunk of time on the ice even as the 7th guy.  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level

@maroon_and_gold 

I agree but that makes it even worse because it’s even less scholarship room being opened by him leaving then. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

I heard Bob had given Pino all 18 scholarships.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @norm

I heard Bob had given Pino all 18 scholarships.

and all of the NIL money

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Norm reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Looking forward to next seasons non-conference schedule:

2 games in Vegas (October 11 and 12)- NOTE: my understanding is these games do NOT count towards our game limit since the Icebreaker tournament is exempt. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. 

2 away games at Duluth (October 18 and 19th)

This leaves 8 potential games. Bob mentioned that we won’t be playing Augustana next season. My total guess is we will have St Thomas on the home schedule? Any other insights?

I would like to see a trip to Colorado or out east!

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1221

Looking forward to next seasons non-conference schedule:

2 games in Vegas (October 11 and 12)- NOTE: my understanding is these games do NOT count towards our game limit since the Icebreaker tournament is exempt. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. 

2 away games at Duluth (October 18 and 19th)

This leaves 8 potential games. Bob mentioned that we won’t be playing Augustana next season. My total guess is we will have St Thomas on the home schedule? Any other insights?

I would like to see a trip to Colorado or out east!

Since the move to the B1G, Duluth has typically been home-and-home. I would expect the upcoming season to be the same. Ditto with St. Thomas.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7311
Post on old board: 10120

It is confirmed they are both in Duluth this year per Jup’s calendar! 

ReplyQuote

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5335
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @mnnavy

Since the move to the B1G, Duluth has typically been home-and-home. I would expect the upcoming season to be the same. Ditto with St. Thomas.

Incorrect... UMD is going back to full series at each site. This is confirmed.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Or I should say that they are no longer H/H... At UMD this year, at MN next year.

Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1221

Posted by: @cowgirl

My bad 😳 - I haven't been keeping up to date with Jup's calendar.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Home & Home was a Don Lucia thing. He hated full weekends with those teams. So the last few contracts were all H/H. Bob finished out the last contract and did the right thing to move the new contract back to full series at each place.

Get your own board!

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Gopherr16
(@gopherr16)
Rep Pts: -47

I heard there will be two games against the Mighty Beavers of Bemidji next year.  

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @jupiter

Home & Home was a Don Lucia thing. He hated full weekends with those teams. So the last few contracts were all H/H. Bob finished out the last contract and did the right thing to move the new contract back to full series at each place.

This is the right thing to do.  Who, other than "Fun Sucker" Don Lucia, wants to drive up for a road series, watch one game and have to drive back home the next day?

Give me two games so I can make a weekend of it.  Duluth is fun.

St Cloud can be fun too (or should I say too fun), even if the campus is awful (should be condemned).  Stay "downtown", drink Hairy Buffalos, and take the shuttles to the game.  It's only an hour from my house but it's worth the cost of hotel.

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

UMD will be interesting next year but would be happy to get some bonus points sweeping them there next year in what will probably be at least another partial rebuild kind of year. 

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bertogliat

This is the right thing to do.  Who, other than "Fun Sucker" Don Lucia, wants to drive up for a road series, watch one game and have to drive back home the next day?

Give me two games so I can make a weekend of it.  Duluth is fun.

St Cloud can be fun too (or should I say too fun), even if the campus is awful (should be condemned).  Stay "downtown", drink Hairy Buffalos, and take the shuttles to the game.  It's only an hour from my house but it's worth the cost of hotel.

never done the STC trip but will probably do the duluth one pending on timing. always easier when it's a full series rather than a one off driving up and back. 

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

This also was an AD thing too -- the teams wanted to have home games on the schedule for selling season tickets.

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

@maroon_and_gold 

I agree but that makes it even worse because it’s even less scholarship room being opened by him leaving then. 

Just as a reminder it's very rare for any players to get a 'full ride' scholarship. I think Leon Bristedt was the only one I've heard of over the past 20 years. I also remember hearing that UMD getting Tufte and Anderson getting a 90% scholarship offer before Minnesota was comfortable figuring out what they even had available to offer was a factor in them committing to the Bulldogs so quickly.

Most players are getting somewhere between 33 to 75% scholarship offers as they divide up the 18 across the roster. It used to be in the B10 that the scholarship offers were good for four years, but the roster spot wasn't always guaranteed. I don't know if that's still the case as we've seen schools get more aggressive lowering aid with the portal being so active. I know that some smaller schools have gotten into testing escalating offers with no scholarship the first year, a 25% as a sophomore, 50% as a junior and 100% as a senior, or some mix like that one.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 12555

I wish they could tie the scholarship money to playing time.  Top Forward in TOI gets 100%, 2nd players gets 95%, etc.  

Effort and Attitude are self correcting.

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

He already said that   LOL

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

um yeah, after I posted that.   

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

So to recap:

CONFIRMED:

2 in Vegas vs Air Force/ either UMass or Omaha  (Oct 11-12)

2 in Duluth  (Oct 18-19)

6 officially unaccounted for:

PROBABLE/POSSIBLE

Exhibition (weekend of 10/3-10/5)

2 (probably at home) vs Bemidji

2 vs UST (H&H or at home)

ReplyQuote

FargoGopher7
(@fargogopher7)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 87

@gopherguy05 are expecting no hawks on the schedule next year?

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

No UND next year but new contract starts in 2025-2026 if I am not mistaken.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy05

So to recap:

CONFIRMED:

2 in Duluth  (Oct 18-19)

PROBABLE/POSSIBLE

Yes, but I think there can be 8 games unaccounted for. The Icebreaker games are exempt from your game limit.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I wouldn’t mind the St. Thomas game at the X being an annual thing until the Tommies have their new ice palace built.

Let’s face it there’s no way the Gophers are playing a game in that high school rink in Mendota so it’s either at the X or both games at Mariucci.

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

The good old Edit button huh

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

The good old Edit button huh

no editing involved.  

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Posted by: @gopherguy05

So to recap:

CONFIRMED:

2 in Duluth  (Oct 18-19)

PROBABLE/POSSIBLE

Yes, but I think there can be 8 games unaccounted for. The Icebreaker games are exempt from your game limit.

You are right.  I didn't count right.  with the ice breaker should be 12 non con games next season not 10.  

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Talked to some BC/BU fans at the games tonight. They said Matthew Wood is the real deal. “Stud” was the word used multiple times.

Rau4SkiUMah, Greyeagle, MikeEruzione11 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 16