95 Users
407 Likes
12 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

@boninthebear 

I think there’s no question he SHOULD return, but I believe he becomes a free agent in August so who knows. I kinda get the sneaking suspicion we get some late news from him but we’ll see. He would definitely be a welcomed returner.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

In regards to both Pitlick and in general I really hope the roster is solidified and this is the team we have going into the season. This team is STACKED and are just all around very solid. On paper this year’s team looks as solid top to bottom as the 2022-23 team, if not more so. They might not have a really high end pick on the team but it really looks like we’re going to have four solid lines and a legit D corps in front of a talented, young goalie who’s backed up and supported by a steady veteran. So please, no late moves or anything. 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

The high end talent is fun but as Denver has shown it’s solid, steady teams that win championships. We were so close to winning it all in 2023 after an amazing season so at that point it’s really a coin flip but I was watching some highlights from the past few years and it made me wonder what that team looks like if Sorenson and/or Perbix stay. Some veteran experience on the fourth line would have been great to have last year. Again, that year was awesome so I’m definitely nit picking but it certainly makes one wonder. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4385

Depth kills. Especially when Bobs plays his 4th line and 6th defenseman so much. Next year looks exciting. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2222

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

In regards to both Pitlick and in general I really hope the roster is solidified and this is the team we have going into the season. This team is STACKED and are just all around very solid. On paper this year’s team looks as solid top to bottom as the 2022-23 team, if not more so. They might not have a really high end pick on the team but it really looks like we’re going to have four solid lines and a legit D corps in front of a talented, young goalie who’s backed up and supported by a steady veteran. So please, no late moves or anything. 

they’re not on that level. Again that was a generational d core (3 guys walked into nhl lineups the next year with who probably should win the Calder but won’t because politics) coupled with some very high end talent on the first line. This team may have more scoring punch on the tail end lines (3-4) but that’s about it. That said, there’s not really a “weakness” in looking at this team (I think we’ve solved the unknown of goaltending by picking up a guy that’s done it before to be in tandem with Airey which settles things a bit) and I’m very excited to see how it goes. They should have a great chance to win the Big Ten and get back to the FF

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @greyeagle

Posted by: @handyman

So apparently the team wants me posting Amadeus gifs all year 🤣 

f. murray abraham amadeus GIF by Maudit

John Goodman Pout GIF by ABC Network

20 years later and it will always be funny!

jim carrey GIF

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @handyman

So apparently the team wants me posting Amadeus gifs all year 🤣 

f. murray abraham amadeus GIF by Maudit

John Goodman Pout GIF by ABC Network

20 years later and it will always be funny!

anyone care to explain to the rest of us? 

Someone (it was me) started calling Handyman "Dan" instead of his actual name, Dave.  It caught on and became a funny thing and grew for no reason other than we are all tad goofy.  It didn't hurt that Handy was probably posting 25+ times daily at the time.  I think his twitter name is "Handy Not Dan" or something like that.

Actually lots of people make that mistake...have my entire life.  Hell Goon (flash from the past) probably still does when he references me. (I literally joined Twitter because of it and my name is "ImNotDanHandler")  Still goes on today when I meet people...

The irony is I was supposed to be named Daniel but my dad called an audible at the last second 🤣 

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Handy will forever be Dan to me.  Doesn’t seem right using that “other” name.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1782046663135166485

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 363

Posted by: @gopheritall

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @mlhouse

The Gopher hockey program is not an NHL affiliate. Last time I checked the University of Minnesota signs Motzko’s checks. So, if Moore is a better fit at wing for the Gophers then do it. Vegoe on the podcast likened Walker to Moore. Makes sense to try him at wing.

The only development I care about for Moore is how he can become a better college hockey player that will help the current team he is on. In his case, who cares what Chicago thinks.

The problem with your view is that it is short sighted.  A team that ONLY cares about the high end players as college hockey players will suddenly find itself without high end players. 

Moore is a much better fit as a center as a hockey player.  Jamming him in at wing is a move that underutilizes his speed and playmaking ability.  And, simultaneously it reduces his development as a hockey player.  

Until it doesn't work, having MOore center a line between Snuggerud and Wood is a no brainer.  Moore must become an even better hockey player to reach his potential as both a college and professional hockey player and he must work at being a solid defensive center in the next couple of seasons.  

I’m trying to make sense of your first paragraph. I don’t think it’s as deep as a may think it is. He can become a better college hockey player at wing also.

I think they mean take top end players choose colleges based on preparing them for the NHL. If a college program is not doing that then the players will elect to go to a program that will. If a program gets a reputation for changing a player's position then prospective top end players may elect to sign elsewhere.

It is obvious what I meant and it is an obvious issue.  If your program does not help develop high end players to go onto professional careers, you will not be able to recruit high end players.  

This is not the 1970s and 80s in which a college program like Minnesota could do almost what htey wanted.  Today's recruiting world is extremely competitive.  Minnesota is still amongst the top destinations, but they have much more competition even for Minnesota players in today's college hockey world.  North Dakota, UMD, Wisconsin and Notre Dame always seem to get their share of the highest recruits.  Some MInnesotans have defected to Michigan and even eastern schools.  

And, with the transfer portal the way it is, recruits that feel jilted can move on at the drop of the hat.  

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

Posted by: @gopheritall

The Gopher hockey program is not an NHL affiliate. Last time I checked the University of Minnesota signs Motzko’s checks. So, if Moore is a better fit at wing for the Gophers then do it. Vegoe on the podcast likened Walker to Moore. Makes sense to try him at wing.

The only development I care about for Moore is how he can become a better college hockey player that will help the current team he is on. In his case, who cares what Chicago thinks.

The problem with your view is that it is short sighted.  A team that ONLY cares about the high end players as college hockey players will suddenly find itself without high end players. 

Moore is a much better fit as a center as a hockey player.  Jamming him in at wing is a move that underutilizes his speed and playmaking ability.  And, simultaneously it reduces his development as a hockey player.  

Until it doesn't work, having MOore center a line between Snuggerud and Wood is a no brainer.  Moore must become an even better hockey player to reach his potential as both a college and professional hockey player and he must work at being a solid defensive center in the next couple of seasons.  

I’m trying to make sense of your first paragraph. I don’t think it’s as deep as a may think it is. He can become a better college hockey player at wing also.

I think they mean take top end players choose colleges based on preparing them for the NHL. If a college program is not doing that then the players will elect to go to a program that will. If a program gets a reputation for changing a player's position then prospective top end players may elect to sign elsewhere.

It is obvious what I meant and it is an obvious issue.  If your program does not help develop high end players to go onto professional careers, you will not be able to recruit high end players.  

This is not the 1970s and 80s in which a college program like Minnesota could do almost what htey wanted.  Today's recruiting world is extremely competitive.  Minnesota is still amongst the top destinations, but they have much more competition even for Minnesota players in today's college hockey world.  North Dakota, UMD, Wisconsin and Notre Dame always seem to get their share of the highest recruits.  Some MInnesotans have defected to Michigan and even eastern schools.  

And, with the transfer portal the way it is, recruits that feel jilted can move on at the drop of the hat.  

I assume you define high end talent as a 1st round pick since the Moore debate has sparked this discussion? If you’re happy with the occasional national prestige and the random school shoutout on a NHL on ESPN broadcast then fine. Because thats really all they bring. Certainly aren’t winning National Championships.

Denver was the least talented team on paper at the frozen four if we use the high end talent criteria. The NCHC aren’t winning championships with the high end players. Neither did Providence, UMass, and Quinnipiac.

Call me crazy but give me a Bobby Trivigno over a Logan Cooley any day of the week. Despite all the talent the Gophers had in 2022-23 they were missing a Ben Meyers.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I don’t put a ton of stock in the results of a one and done tourney in a sport like hockey, Denver won a close one where their goalie was on fire. Play that as a best of three series or even just a two game format like the old days and who knows what happens.

As for Moore I think I’d like to see him remain at center and grow in that role. We’ll see.

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

@Wilson34  We had Ben Meyers the year before and didn't win it then either.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 280

Messed up quote - mlhouse quote-

Your implication is that Bob should do whatever an NHL team wants (or what he guesses they might want).  I think he has built plenty of equity as a developer of NHL talent if you look at how many former Gophers there are in the NHL. Switching one player's position doesn't immediately undo that. While I agree it should be a consideration,his number one concern should be how to have the best chance to win a National Championship.  He needs to weigh several considerations when setting lines, recruiting, etc. beyond just what a NHL GM might think.

ReplyQuote

Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

they’re not on that level. Again that was a generational d core (3 guys walked into nhl lineups the next year with who probably should win the Calder but won’t because politics) coupled with some very high end talent on the first line. This team may have more scoring punch on the tail end lines (3-4) but that’s about it. That said, there’s not really a “weakness” in looking at this team (I think we’ve solved the unknown of goaltending by picking up a guy that’s done it before to be in tandem with Airey which settles things a bit) and I’m very excited to see how it goes. They should have a great chance to win the Big Ten and get back to the FF

I agree. I think last year's D corp may be the best I have seen in college hockey.  And the first line was maybe the second best I have seen for the Gophers. (With the best Gopher line being the best line I've seen in college hockey.) Next year we should have a very good depth team at all positions.  Hopefully we will see some players take the next step and see balanced scoring throughout. Even if all that happens, it is no guarantee in a one and done, with or without a Ben Meyers on the team.

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 565

I have been waiting for the annual, "We should throw out all our players and build a team just like <whoever who the NC> posts".

Remember when we were supposed to cut all the NHL draft picks and get 26 year old freshmen like Union?

Remember when we were supposed to only get fast players too small for the NHL like some player off BC? I can't remember who that was.

I am all for bringing in high end draft picks and getting a shot at the F4 3 years out of 4.

HandyNotDan, trixR4kids, NoCoastNirvana and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1107

@gopheritall This is a common narrative. There is no one size fits all way to build a national championship team. Put together a strong team and trust you'll break through in a one and done every now and then. The "mold" for a champion shifts constantly.

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @koho

I agree. I think last year's D corp may be the best I have seen in college hockey.  And the first line was maybe the second best I have seen for the Gophers. (With the best Gopher line being the best line I've seen in college hockey.) Next year we should have a very good depth team at all positions.  Hopefully we will see some players take the next step and see balanced scoring throughout. Even if all that happens, it is no guarantee in a one and done, with or without a Ben Meyers on the team.

Curious what you consider the best line you've seen for the Gophers?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @norm

Gotta imagine he’s referencing the Roseau line of N Broten, A Broten and Butsy Erickson

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Posted by: @norm

Gotta imagine he’s referencing the Roseau line of N Broten, A Broten and Butsy Erickson

Yup.  They were incredible. Neal given the first Hobey award despite finishing 4th on team in points with a measly 71 in 36 games. While his teammates had 86 points in 44 games (Butsy) and 106 in 45 games (Aaron).  They seemed to have the puck the whole time they were on the ice. It was like they had played their whole lives together. The DOT like was great, but don't think they compared to this line.  Those are the two that stand out the most in my memory.

In the locker room after old-timers game the other day, we were talking about oldtimer tourneys we have played in. (Most of us didn't play beyond High School, or have just been rink rats for life.) One guy mentioned playing in a tourney in Roseau about 10 years ago.  He got on the ice and Neal, Aaron and Butsey were the line he lined up against.  Said he touched the puck about 3 times all game.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3983
Post on old board: 9428

The line with Trent Klatt and Larry Olimb was pretty good 

ReplyQuote

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

DOT line?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10532
Post on old board: 21741

Yup.  They were incredible. Neal given the first Hobey award despite finishing 4th on team in points with a measly 71 in 36 games. While his teammates had 86 points in 44 games (Butsy) and 106 in 45 games (Aaron).  They seemed to have the puck the whole time they were on the ice. It was like they had played their whole lives together.

Ulseth had 93 points....that team was loaded.

If the internet has been a thing in 1981 this site would have gone nuclear when MN lost the title game to the red pukes.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
goofy gopher
(@goofy-gopher)
Rep Pts: 6

As far as the d core, for me the 01-02 championship team of Leo, Paul Martin, Ballard, Demarchi, Judd Steven's, Angell is the best I have seen. Scorers, puck movers, defensive, and tough. 

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @gopherpete

DOT line?

Duncan -Oshie-Toews for the Whioux. Duncan won Hobie and other two went on to have quite the NHL careers.

I went back and forth on the D corp between last year and 2001 being the best.  I still lean towards last year as most talented, as much as I loved that 01 team.  But it is close, and I can see a valid argument both ways.  I don't pretend to follow all teams closely enough and my memory has always been poor and getting worse, but seems like both might qualify for top 5 all-time in college hockey, if not 1 and 2.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Gophers will play an exhibition game at Jan Brady U on Saturday October 5th.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Yup.  They were incredible. Neal given the first Hobey award despite finishing 4th on team in points with a measly 71 in 36 games. While his teammates had 86 points in 44 games (Butsy) and 106 in 45 games (Aaron).  They seemed to have the puck the whole time they were on the ice. It was like they had played their whole lives together.

Ulseth had 93 points....that team was loaded.

If the internet has been a thing in 1981 this site would have gone nuclear when MN lost the title game to the red pukes.

Probably the best team we’ve ever put on the ice and that’s saying something. Certainly an argument could be made for it.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @frozen4champs

So we got these guys, 2 games in Vegas, 2 in Duluth, supposedly 2 with Bemidji and that’s all we know so far right?

ReplyQuote

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1285

Posted by: @frozen4champs

So we got these guys, 2 games in Vegas, 2 in Duluth, supposedly 2 with Bemidji and that’s all we know so far right?

I think they'll have Alaska and Mercyhurst on the schedule too.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

What a lame NC schedule. Sorry but aside from I guess playing at Duluth none of those opponents are compelling to me. 

ReplyQuote
Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

I put Cooley, Knies, and Snuggerud #2. My top Gophers line was Neil Broten, Steve Christoff, and I believe Eric Strobel. Not 100% on Strobel, because I believe Herb would rotate Eric Strobel and Tim Harrer occasionally. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

What a lame NC schedule. Sorry but aside from I guess playing at Duluth none of those opponents are compelling to me. 

I agree. Uncharacteristically easy schedule. Should rack up wins but losses will hurt the pairwise. 

If you thought you were safe from pairwise talk in late April you thought wrong😄

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @magic

I put Cooley, Knies, and Snuggerud #2. My top Gophers line was Neil Broten, Steve Christoff, and I believe Eric Strobel. Not 100% on Strobel, because I believe Herb would rotate Eric Strobel and Tim Harrer occasionally. 

Kessel, R Potulny and Irmen were a line in ‘06 I believe. They’re up there too.

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

I'm thinking Kessel and Potulny both played center that year.

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

Pitlick most likely will be a captain. I don't see a loss on the schedule. Retro Goldy  

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I love the confidence but I’m not 100% sold on Pitlick being a captain. Nothing against the guy but he kind of seems to be his own man. I could see it going either way. I definitely see Koster, Nevers, and Huglen wearing letters. Perhaps also Chesley or Snuggerud. Crazy to think that those two will already be juniors. Time flies. 

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 977
Post on old board: 8405

I love the confidence but I’m not 100% sold on Pitlick being a captain. Nothing against the guy but he kind of seems to be his own man. I could see it going either way. I definitely see Koster, Nevers, and Huglen wearing letters. Perhaps also Chesley or Snuggerud. Crazy to think that those two will already be juniors. Time flies. 

Have Koster or Nevers been asked to come back?   Maybe I missed it

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @bert

Have Koster or Nevers been asked to come back?   Maybe I missed it

Nothing official yet, but also would have expected to have seen them sign a pro deal or enter the portal if they weren't.

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

A line that people probably forget that was incredible was

Scott Bjugstad (43-48-91) - Butsy Erickson (35-47-82) - Steve Griffith (12-43-55)  

Butsy Erickson's 2nd 80+ point season with the Gophers.

THe first Gopher game I ever went to these guys were just dominant against UMD....

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

Messed up quote - mlhouse quote-

Your implication is that Bob should do whatever an NHL team wants (or what he guesses they might want).  I think he has built plenty of equity as a developer of NHL talent if you look at how many former Gophers there are in the NHL. Switching one player's position doesn't immediately undo that. While I agree it should be a consideration,his number one concern should be how to have the best chance to win a National Championship.  He needs to weigh several considerations when setting lines, recruiting, etc. beyond just what a NHL GM might think.

I don't recall ever mentioning that Bob should do whatever a NHL team wants, and I reviewed all of my posts on this.  It seems this is something that you have pulled out of thin air. 

And it is true lots of things will be in consideration, but if you create a program that the high end players (defined as those that have significant probability of NHL success) cannot develop in, the net talent impact (the skills of players you recruit minus the value you get by "playing the player to win college hockey games") will make it MUCH LESS likely to win a National Championship.  That is because no matter how well you set lines and create a game plan, you will not have the talent to win.  

With the Oliver Moore issue, there is no doubt in my mind that leaving him at center is by far the best for the team and the best for Oliver Moore.  

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Crazy abundance of potential letter wearers on the team. I’m not a fan of teams that give letters to half the team. In my opinion it should be a max of 4 but this year feels more like 5 guys will get a letter.

Koster C

Nevers C

Snuggerud A

L Mittelstadt A

Chesley? Huglen?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Crazy abundance of potential letter wearers on the team. I’m not a fan of teams that give letters to half the team. In my opinion it should be a max of 4 but this year feels more like 5 guys will get a letter.

Koster C

Nevers C

Snuggerud A

L Mittelstadt A

Chesley? Huglen?

Totally agree! We don’t need to have everyone wear a letter this year but, to your point, there are so many great candidates how do you narrow it down to just a few? 

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I remember a couple years ago I think Michigan had 7 or 8 letter wearers. Just a little excessive.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Again did I miss it.  Were Nevers and Koster asked to comeback?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Is that something they've ever made known to the public?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2222

yeah they announced the big returners last year via twitter and instagram.  

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

And nothing yet right?

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5306
Post on old board: 15786

No

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2567
Post on old board: 7833

'U' Announces Men's Hockey Team Awards

https://gophersports.com/news/2024/4/30/-u-announces-mens-hockey-team-awards

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Not what I'm referring to.  I'm talking about whether or not they were "asked to comeback".  

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 15