46 Users
38 Likes
12 K Views
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Posted by: @handyman

Greyeagle explained why the game is at 3pm.  There is a basketball game at 7 that night.  Sorry but a meaningless exhibition hockey game is not going to take precedence over a regular season basketball game and there is no way they play both at the same time.

It makes all the sense in the world. 

And why wouldn’t they be able to be played at the same time? It’s not like the exhibition is going to draw much of a crowd. 

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5592
Post on old board: 16243

@mikeeruzione11 

Agree... I semi full Barn and Mariucci isn't near a game at Huntington Bank.  And the "U" has already had 2 or 3 evenings this year with multiple events including men's hockey going on. Yeah parking is a pain, but not horrible.  Though @handyman is correct.  After football, men's basketball writes the checks for the athletic dept.  Men's basketball will always trump men's hockey in the final say.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7211
Post on old board: 10120

Greyeagle explained why the game is at 3pm.  There is a basketball game at 7 that night.  Sorry but a meaningless exhibition hockey game is not going to take precedence over a regular season basketball game and there is no way they play both at the same time.

It shouldn’t be a problem then to schedule it at 7.  It’s a “meaningless” game and most people wouldn’t show up Thursday at 7 either so it wouldn’t really affect parking.  ?‍♀️

Does the team travel Friday morning to bemidji?

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 738

Yes it would be nice if the game was at 7. This is the time of year most businesses do year end inventory and audits. I will end up missing the 2 exhibition games.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4566
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

And why wouldn’t they be able to be played at the same time? It’s not like the exhibition is going to draw much of a crowd. 

Because they never try and have the two sports playing at the same if they are both home games. (sometimes it is unavoidable but this game is easily moveable) It creates logistical problems even if they feel the games might not be high attendance games.  This isn't new they have been doing it since I went to the U in the early 2000s.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12497
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/BSUBeavers/status/1603186706844471297

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Couple of scheduling updates--

The January 14th game @ Notre Dame is now scheduled for 5pm central. 

The February 18th game at Penn St is now at 5:30

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

maybe they have employees that work both games and it’s hard to staff for both at once?

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 738

Most likely the early time is because the skate with the Gophers is right after the game.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7407

The game against the under 18 kids is early because they can't play at night since it would be past their bed time. ? 

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Most likely the early time is because the skate with the Gophers is right after the game.

That's possible.  In previous years, they've put the Skate on a day off and decided on a date long after most games have had times set, but we are entering a post-pandemic "new normal" and they may have already had the Skate in mind when setting the faceoff time at 3 PM.

And it's probably not on the U18 side since they have the next day off and play at UND the day after that.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

The game time is set early so that the U-18s can get over to the Blarney for the night

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2304

Posted by: @chill-kessel

The game time is set early so that the U-18s can get over to the Blarney for the night

*Sallys* 

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Gimme a break that story is like 15 years old. 

Christ i'm getting old

ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I’m not aware of the story you are referring to. I said Sally’s because that was the main under-21 bar while I was at the U. I actually heard a girl in line behind me tell her friend, “come on, we have to go out. You only turn 20 once”. Can’t make this stuff up. I don’t know if it’s because Sally’s is a block from the freshmen dorms or what but I’m pretty sure you could get in with a stick figure drawn on a piece of cardboard that had “I’m 21” written on it. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@rau4skiumah 

https://www.ushr.com/news/20051109/1120

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Interesting. I’m not green lighting underage drinking, and I know there are NCAA violations along with the legality issue, but this seems a bit much. A lot of college kids drink. Both athletes and regular students. Also kind of weird that a Fox crew used hidden cameras to go into a college bar and secretly film college kids. What was the public’s reaction? 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

Mainly a big yawn/fakereaction "CLUTCH MY PEARLS!"

I have no idea why Fox (note: LOCAL Fox news, I mention this to avoid political crap) did this story. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6943
Post on old board: 18942

The local news loves to mess with the U for whatever reason. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10474
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @frozen4champs

@rau4skiumah 

https://www.ushr.com/news/20051109/1120

The ultimate water is wet story.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 330

2023-2024 schedule note (if there is a seperate thread for next year I can delete and re-post) 

Pioneer Press Article noted a home and home series vs UST for the next two years. I would be surprised if this would be a true Home & Home series given that UST will still be at the ~1.4K Capacity STA Arena in Mendota. Wouldn't it be better financially to throw some % of the ticket sales to UST and have both games at Mariucci? 

https://www.twincities.com/2023/01/25/st-thomas-hockey-xxxx-not-ready-xxxx/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-PioneerPress&utm_campaign=socialflow

"The Tommies have shown marked improvement in their second season of Division I hockey as their talent level continues to increase. Becoming a contender in the CCHA is the next step, but the team across the river is in their sites, too. The Gophers and Tommies will play a home-and-home series each of the next two seasons, which likely will become a regular occurrence."

ReplyQuote

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1276

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

"The Tommies have shown marked improvement in their second season of Division I hockey as their talent level continues to increase. Becoming a contender in the CCHA is the next step, but the team across the river is in their sites, too. The Gophers and Tommies will play a home-and-home series each of the next two seasons, which likely will become a regular occurrence."

If I was a gambling man, then I'd assume UST will play this home game at xcel.

https://scsuhuskies.com/news/2021/9/7/mens-ice-hockey-scsu-mens-hockey-at-st-thomas-moved-to-xcel-energy-center.aspx

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Like Vegoe said, but I'll put $$$ down that these games are played a the "X". Though the final statement is a bit of a stretch depending on what a "regular occurrence" is.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

The local news loves to mess with the U for whatever reason. 

Holding onto and breaking the news of the Gopher Basketball academic scandal the night before the NCAAs is the cream of crop. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Great...wasting more games on regional series.  Maybe Crookston can field a team like they planned to years back and we could just schedule all our non-cons against locals squads.  (gag me with a spoon)

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

Great...wasting more games on regional series.  Maybe Crookston can field a team like they planned to years back and we could just schedule all our non-cons against locals squads.  (gag me with a spoon)

Two weekends a year against the assorted MN teams and NoDak are plenty.  I'd much prefer mixing the non-con schedule up, see different teams on a regular basis.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

If I was a gambling man, then I'd assume UST will play this home game at xcel.

https://scsuhuskies.com/news/2021/9/7/mens-ice-hockey-scsu-mens-hockey-at-st-thomas-moved-to-xcel-energy-center.aspx

Yeah I’m not thrilled about this, but I’ll give it a chance first before I begrudge it.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

I am guessing this is being done to follow a long tradition of the University of Minnesota looking for ways to help the state of hockey including other D1 teams. This goes back to John Mariucci. 

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Can't wait to see the reaction in a year or two when Augustana is on the schedule, because with Reboin there you know they will be. 

ReplyQuote
Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

Wasting time on regional series?  I think we all appreciate mixing in a top tier Hockey East or ECAC team into the non-conference schedule but I don't really understand where this hard take against "regional" teams is coming from. 

ReplyQuote
thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Wasting time on regional series?  I think we all appreciate mixing in a top tier Hockey East or ECAC team into the non-conference schedule but I don't really understand where this hard take against "regional" teams is coming from. 

Handy's been a longtime critic of regional focus of nonconference scheduling as being, among other things, a major handicap to the growth of college hockey.

I wouldn't call it "wasting time" since playing the Minnesota teams and UND pays bills, but I can see the argument that we can only do it so much each season.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't think the Gophers need to play BU for instance in order for college hockey to grow, I just want to see something different than SCSU or UMD.  At the very least supplant series vs. programs such as Mercyhurst and Lindenwood. 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 5547

Remember when the WCHA and hockey East would play inter conference games and wins would be recorded as conference wins, back in the 1980s or 1990s

Aloha!

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

I don't think the Gophers need to play BU for instance in order for college hockey to grow, I just want to see something different than SCSU or UMD.  At the very least supplant series vs. programs such as Mercyhurst and Lindenwood. 

For me, I just want variety in the opponents the Gophers play.  There's 60+ teams in college hockey, why are we restricting ourselves to only playing about a dozen of them?

Obviously, we're set with the conference schedule, so the non-conference schedule is where we need to bring new teams in.  One or two weekends a year of the local teams is enough.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

With all of the Minnesota non-conference opponents, it's unlikely this will change. Everyone wants to play the Gophers, and the fans want to see UND as well.

I would agree that Lindenwood and Mercyhurst gathers no fan interest at all, and this would be an opportunity to play teams like BU and others. Then again, coaches like those early tune up games that are run more like scrimmages.  I'm not sure how the coaches of teams like Denver and Minnesota would feel about playing each other in October.

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I'm certainly not holding my breath for it to change, nor am I going to stop going to games just because it's the same teams over and over and over, but doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to change.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @steve-mn

I'm certainly not holding my breath for it to change, nor am I going to stop going to games just because it's the same teams over and over and over, but doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to change.

The real problem games are when they play teams like Moosejaw U and Linden-who?

There's nobody in the rink, which in and of itself makes it a questionable business decision.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1177
Post on old board: 6912

As long as tBob is the coach…they’ll be playing the other MN schools regularly. It would be fun to see them occasionally play Denver & CC…or a school from the Boston area, but they’re already spending a lot of extra ? flying to Happy Valley, Columbus, East Lansing & Ann Arbor…so probably not in the BUDGET.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1152

Posted by: @streakygopher

There's nobody in the rink, which in and of itself makes it a questionable business decision.

Perfect compromise would be to try to find a well known team from the east that's on a downswing.  Like Boston college this year.  Easier said than done though.

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1198

Posted by: @idontknow

Perfect compromise would be to try to find a well known team from the east that's on a downswing. Like Boston college this year. Easier said than done though.

The problem with that theory is that NC games are typically sceduled 3-4 years in advance. I dont think anyone has a crystal ball that can predict which east coast teams will be good that far out.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7211
Post on old board: 10120

This bunch is hard to please.  Just a few years ago everyone was upset we stopped playing Minnesota schools.  Now we do regularly and everyone’s upset.   We don’t like playing certain big ten schools because they are boring…well we can’t really change that now can we. 
I for one don’t have any need to see und regularly. 

I’m sure they like to have an easy series or two to warm up early in the season, and as mentioned above with budgets these days, flying to the east coast regularly probably isn’t feasible.  
Hopefully the constant sellouts help…!

For all you who dislike the current schedule, what’s your “ideal” schedule look like? 

I am going to enjoy Gopher Hockey no matter what.  

frozen4champs, Driftryder, Rau4SkiUMah and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

We always have one of the top strength of schedules so I don't think we can complain too much about one series each year vs the Lindenwoods or Merceyherst  type of teams. Especially with how many freshman the gophers usually have it is fair that bob wants a bit of a ramp up in the early season. 

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many home games you can have for non-conference? I assume it would be harder to get Home games vs a major school (like say Boston College)  that is too far for a Home & Home weekend because both sides would prefer to have the home games for the revenue. 

ReplyQuote

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1152

Posted by: @cowgirl

This bunch is hard to please.  Just a few years ago everyone was upset we stopped playing Minnesota schools.  Now we do regularly and everyone’s upset.   We don’t like playing certain big ten schools because they are boring…well we can’t really change that now can we. 

I’m sure they like to have an easy series or two to warm up early in the season, and as mentioned above with budgets these days, flying to the east coast regularly probably isn’t feasible.  

For all you who dislike the current schedule, what’s your “ideal” schedule look like? 

I don't really dislike this year's schedule.  It would be fun to see some of the bigger name eastern teams every now and then though. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It's not a hard complaint from me, but I could see one less series vs a MN school per year and/or not play Lindenewoods.  I still remember when they went to UNH when they were a top program (yes im aware that was 20 years ago), they hosted BC a few times, etc. 

I just think it would be nice to mix in a CC, a Harvard, heck even Quinnipiac.  

Again not a hard complaint and I would watch the Gophers play Bethel if that were the opponent.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

As opposed to UMD when there is no one in the building?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Not me i have always been against playing all the Minnesota teams.  Pick two and rotate.  The best part of the WCHA imploding was it gave us flexibility which we never take advantage of.  Our schedule is way to insular just like it was before. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I agree with the rotating schedule. I like playing MN teams, but don't need all of them every year. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Gonna have to figure out how to rotate when USC and UCLA start hitting the schedule. ? 

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Personally I wish we would play Kentucky. After all Penn State and Michigan State do.

s l400

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Yes! And twice on Sunday...wait, what? 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6