Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2373
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. “All the king's horses, and all the king's men” couldn't put what nursery rhyme character “together again”?

2. What word refers to a procedure done on a coronary artery, as well as a section of a road or highway?

3. What Dutch cheese made of cow’s milk is named for a city near Rotterdam?

4. The patent for "breathable workshoes and methods for manufacturing such" is held by what Colorado-based company, which has donated over a million such pairs of shoes to healthcare workers since March of 2020?

5. Ginger is sometimes called a root, but this is incorrect. It's actually a subterranean stem that grows horizontally, sprouts roots, and is able to produce the shoots of a new plant. Turmeric, hops, and bamboo also reproduce this way. What are these botanical structures called?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

5. Rhizome 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

1. Humpty Dumpty

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1207

4. Crocs

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5168

2. Bypass

3. Gouda 

ReplyQuote
MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 222

3. Edam?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7254
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @norm

1. Humpty Dumpty

2. Bypass. 

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, April 24, 2024

1. “All the king's horses, and all the king's men” couldn't put what nursery rhyme character “together again”?

Humpty Dumpty

2. What word refers to a procedure done on a coronary artery, as well as a section of a road or highway?

Bypass

3. What Dutch cheese made of cow’s milk is named for a city near Rotterdam?

Gouda

4. The patent for "breathable workshoes and methods for manufacturing such" is held by what Colorado-based company, which has donated over a million such pairs of shoes to healthcare workers since March of 2020?

Crocs

5. Ginger is sometimes called a root, but this is incorrect. It's actually a subterranean stem that grows horizontally, sprouts roots, and is able to produce the shoots of a new plant. Turmeric, hops, and bamboo also reproduce this way. What are these botanical structures called?

Rhizomes

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, April 25, 2024

Leaky Leaks: Five questions about things that just won’t stay contained.

Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. Hungarian journalist László Bíró invented what now ubiquitous item that the Royal Air Force used regularly in World War I because it didn't leak at high altitudes?

2. Leeks, like onions, garlic, chives, scallions, and shallots, are a member of what plant genus, which derives its name from the Latin for “garlic”?

3. What country granted asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which explains why he resided in its London embassy from 2012 to 2019?

4. What product — developed in 1946 and named after its founder — patented a “burping seal” to keep its contents from leaking?

5. One can anonymously leak info to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists via what secure browser that shares its three-letter name with a high, craggy hill?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Tupperware

5. Tor? - Thirty-plus years of doing crossword puzzles FINALLY pays off! 😆 

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

2 Alliums

3 Ecuador

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. Ballpoint pen

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, April 25, 2024

Leaky Leaks: Five questions about things that just won’t stay contained.

1. Hungarian journalist László Bíró invented what now ubiquitous item that the Royal Air Force used regularly in World War I* because it didn't leak at high altitudes?

Ballpoint pen
(*Correction Corner: Thank you to Morning Rounds Reader Don, who pointed out that the ballpoint pen wasn’t invented until after World War I. We should have said World War II above! Trivia Mafia regrets the error.)

2. Leeks, like onions, garlic, chives, scallions, and shallots, are a member of what plant genus, which derives its name from the Latin for “garlic”?

Allium

3. What country granted asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which explains why he resided in its London embassy from 2012 to 2019?

Ecuador

4. What product — developed in 1946 and named after its founder — patented a “burping seal” to keep its contents from leaking?

Tupperware

5. One can anonymously leak info to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists via what secure browser that shares its three-letter name with a high, craggy hill?

Tor

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, April 26, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: London is the only city to have hosted the Summer Olympics three times. There are four international cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics twice (as of spring of 2024). Name as many of those cities as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. The U.S. Census occurs decennially, meaning that it takes place every how many years?

3. What California prison played host to two Johnny Cash concerts in the 1960s, a B.B. King concert in 1990 that resulted in a Grammy-winning live album, and a Metallica concert in 2003?

4. What American virologist developed the first successful polio vaccine in 1955?

5. Yesterday was April 25. On that day in 2021, Chloé Zhao became the first Asian woman to win the Academy Award for “Best Director.” What film earned her that award?

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741

2.  Ten

3. Folsum

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

4. Jonas Salk

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

1. Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Athens

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2162

5) Nomadland. 

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, April 26, 2024

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: London is the only city to have hosted the Summer Olympics three times. There are four international cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics twice (as of spring of 2024). Name as many of those cities as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Paris, Los Angeles, Athens, Tokyo

2. The U.S. Census occurs decennially, meaning that it takes place every how many years?

10 years

3. What California prison played host to two Johnny Cash concerts in the 1960s, a B.B. King concert in 1990 that resulted in a Grammy-winning live album, and a Metallica concert in 2003?

San Quentin

4. What American virologist developed the first successful polio vaccine in 1955?

Jonas Salk

5. Yesterday was April 25. On that day in 2021, Chloé Zhao became the first Asian woman to win the Academy Award for “Best Director” for directing what film?

“Nomadland”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, April 29, 2024

1. What English writer wrote such novels as “A Room With a View,” “Howards End,” and “Passage to India?”

2. “Ground Control to Major Tom” is the opening line of what song, released by David Bowie in 1969?

3. On May 29, 1919, a scientist named Sir Arthur Eddington traveled to an island off the coast of Gabon to conduct a test that helped prove Einstein’s theory of relativity. What occurred that day that made this island the perfect spot for his experiment?

4. What Swedish car company, which went belly-up in 2011, featured a griffin on its logo?

5. What palindrome, which can also refer to a small child or a potato side dish, was used by sailors as a slang term for their rum ration?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2 Space Oddity 

4 Saab 

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Tot

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 524

5.SAAB

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

3. Solar eclipse

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @zwak

4. What Swedish car company, which went belly-up in 2011, featured a griffin on its logo?

The most amazing thing about Saab (already answered...) is actually lasted as long as it did!

Top Gear did a nice tribute after GM pulled the plug.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) E.M. Forster 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, April 29, 2024

1. What English writer wrote such novels as “A Room With a View,” “Howards End,” and “Passage to India”?

E.M. Forster

2. “Ground Control to Major Tom” is the opening line of what song, released by David Bowie in 1969?

“Space Oddity”

3. On May 29, 1919, a scientist named Sir Arthur Eddington traveled to an island off the coast of Gabon to conduct a test that helped prove Einstein’s theory of relativity. What occurred that day that made this island the perfect spot for his experiment?

A solar eclipse

Saab

5. What palindrome, which can also refer to a small child or a potato side dish, was used by sailors as a slang term for their rum ration?

Tot
(it was called “a daily tot”)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, April 30, 2024

1. In 2001, the J.M. Smucker Company acquired what fitting brand from Procter & Gamble?

2. “'Thank You, Goodnight” is a docuseries about what New Jersey-based musical artist who entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018?

3. “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” That comes from “A Moveable Feast,” a memoir of living in the city by what American author?

4. What dirty-sounding word has been, according to Best Buy, the best-selling Apple accessory every year since 2017?

5. British twins Izzy and Annie Woods attend their cousin's alma mater and unravel a cheating scandal, all while wearing lots of pink and carrying matching chihuahuas in a direct-to-video sequel of what film?

ReplyQuote

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

5. "Legally Blonde"

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

2. Jon Bon Jovi

4. Dongle

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

1. Jif ? 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
kmd
 kmd
(@kmd)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 22

3. Hemingway 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, April 30, 2024

1. In 2001, the J.M. Smucker Company acquired what fitting brand from Procter & Gamble?

Jif
(and Crisco shortening)

2. “'Thank You, Goodnight” is a docuseries about what New Jersey-based musical artist who entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018?

Bon Jovi

3. “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” That comes from “A Moveable Feast,” a memoir of living in the city by what American author?

Ernest Hemingway

4. What dirty-sounding word has been, according to Best Buy, the best-selling Apple accessory every year since 2017?

Dongle
(since the abandonment of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7)

5. British twins Izzy and Annie Woods attend their cousin's alma mater and unravel a cheating scandal, all while wearing lots of pink and carrying matching Chihuahuas in a direct-to-video sequel of what film?

“Legally Blonde”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, May 1, 2024

1. Most “Star Search” contestants who went on to become famous actually lost on the show. However, one 1992 winner later became the first openly gay man to win the Emmy for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series,” which he won for his role on the FX series “Pose.” Who is he?

2. “If she reads, she reads She.” That's the direct translation of an advertising slogan famously used by what magazine?

3. What 1996 movie was inspired by a real-life serial killer known as “The Gainesville Ripper”?

4. Toni Morrison’s birth name was Chloe Wofford. She changed her name when she converted to Catholicism at age 12 and adopted the name of the patron saint of lost things. Which saint is that?

5. One of the most popular varieties of commercially available cinnamon is Ceylon cinnamon. It is native to what country?

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2) Elle 

5) Sri Lanka

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5639
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @kelly-red

5) Sri Lanka

My coworker is from Sri Lanka and confirmed this. She says she doesn’t use it much. Though Ceylon was the name of Sri Lanka before it became independent in ‘72.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Reg Dunlop
(@reg-dunlop)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 107

4. St. Anthony. He always knows where my keys are.

Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5639
Post on old board: 16243

3) ‘Scream’. I wanted to answer ‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’, but I had a feeling that was wrong. And finally ‘Scream’ came to me. 

Just looked it up…

Scream - ‘96

… Last Summer - ‘97

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) Billy Porter for his role as Pray Tell.  I figured none of you has watched a single episode of Pose so I could go ahead and answer a third question 😜

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 222

Posted by: @kelly-red

1) Billy Porter for his role as Pray Tell.  I figured none of you has watched a single episode of Pose so I could go ahead and answer a third question 😜

I’ve watched every episode but didn’t know the actor’s name 😅

Kelly Red reacted
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, May 1, 2024

1. Most “Star Search” contestants who went on to become famous actually lost on the show. However, one 1992 winner later became the first openly gay man to win the Emmy for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series,” which he won for his role on the FX series “Pose.” Who is he?

Billy Porter

2. “If she reads, she reads She.” That's the direct translation of an advertising slogan famously used by what magazine?

Elle
("Elle" means "she" in French; “Si elle lit elle lit Elle”)

3. What 1996 movie was inspired by a real-life serial killer known as “The Gainesville Ripper”?

“Scream”

4. Toni Morrison’s birth name was Chloe Wofford. She changed her name when she converted to Catholicism at age 12 and adopted the name of the patron saint of lost things. Which saint is that?

Saint Anthony
(“Toni” is short for “Anthony”)  

5. One of the most popular varieties of commercially available cinnamon is Ceylon cinnamon. It is native to what country?

Sri Lanka
(Ceylon is a former name for Sri Lanka)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, May 2, 2024

Answer Keys: All answers this round will be unlocked if you find the right “key.”

Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. What lawyer, author, and amateur poet was F. Scott Fitzgerald’s second cousin, three times removed?

2. What island city in Florida is the southernmost city in the lower 48  United States?

3. The 2001 album “Songs in A Minor,” featuring the song “Fallin’,” was the breakout debut of what artist?

4. What actor has voiced Murray the Mummy in “Hotel Transylvania 2,” Judge Peckinpah in “The Angry Birds Movie,” Ducky in “Toy Story 4,” Kamari in “The Lion King,” and Todd on “Bob’s Burgers”?

5. In 2005, the TransCanada Corporation announced plans to connect the city of Hardisty, Alberta, to Port Arthur, Texas, via what project?

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1 Francis Scott Key

2 Key West

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. Key West

5. Keystone Pipeline?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. Alicia Keys

4. Keegan-Michael Key

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Heard a good sports trivia question yesterday:

What state that has no Big 4 men’s pro sports teams is surrounded by the states that have the most Big 4 men’s pro teams

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

What state that has no Big 4 men’s pro sports teams is surrounded by the states that have the most Big 4 men’s pro teams

Connecticut?  

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2573
Post on old board: 7833

Arkansas or West Virginia?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @greyeagle

Connecticut?  

RIP the Whale

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

Posted by: @greyeagle

Connecticut?  

I immediately thought Virginia with the DC Maryland area. I dont think any of them play in Virginia.  Connecticut is good guess though with NY and Mass. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Page 98 / 99