73.3 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

@gator

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2359
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

5.  Half life

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5611
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @greyeagle

@gator

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

Funny... I told myself as I was hitting enter I bet someone is going to beat me and I was thinking it would be you... lol!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

3: Half Price Books

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, February 2, 2023
1. Marin Hinkle earned an Emmy nomination for “Best Supporting Actress” in 2019 for “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.” Before that, she played Alan Harper’s ex-wife on what CBS sitcom?

“Two and a Half Men”

2. Released six years after the movie of the same name—but probably enjoyed by the same crowd— what ice cream flavor was created by combining the existing flavors of Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough?

Half Baked

3. What company’s original motto was, “We buy and sell anything printed or recorded, except yesterday's newspaper”?

Half Price Books

4. What legendary catcher once said, “Baseball is 90 percent mental, and the other half is physical”?

Yogi Berra

5. First released in 1998, what first-person shooter game involves a physicist trying to escape a research facility full of aliens—not the measuring of radioactive isotope decay?

“Half-Life”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, February 3, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Six Black actors have won the Oscar for either “Best Actor in a Leading Role” or “Best Actress in a Leading Role.” Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. What language was the Gutenberg Bible printed in?

3. The 27th Amendment was ratified in 1992. It was written by James Madison and submitted to the first Congress, giving it a ratification period of over 202 years. What does the 27th Amendment prevent Congress from changing, except at specific times?

4. What model line, which launched in 1965, did Ford discontinue in 1996 and replace with the Expedition?

5. Today is February 3. Born on this day in 1874, what U.S.-born author wrote a quasi-memoir about her experiences in Paris through the eyes of her partner, called “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas”?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

4 - Bronco ??

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1199

2. Latin

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3: Compensation  (Any law changing congressional pay doesn't take effect until after the next general election.  If you look at the full Bill of Rights, this one was actually second, with freedom of speech/press/etc being third)

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

1. Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Sidney Poitier, I think Halle Berry?

5. Gertrude Stein

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

1) Not being a 110% sure, I looked up the actor.  I would've be right on the actor, but not the movie.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144

1) add in Jamie Fox and Forest Whitaker.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

Karlsson reacted
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, February 3, 2023
1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Six Black actors have won the Oscar for either “Best Actor in a Leading Role” or “Best Actress in a Leading Role.” Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Sidney Poitier, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Jamie Foxx, Forest Whitaker, Will Smith

2. What language was the Gutenberg Bible printed in?

Latin

3. The 27th Amendment was ratified in 1992. It was written by James Madison and submitted to the first Congress, giving it a ratification period of over 202 years. What does the 27th Amendment prevent Congress from changing, except at specific times?

Their own paychecks

4. What model line, which launched in 1965, did Ford discontinue in 1996 and replace with the Expedition?

Bronco

5. Today is February 3. Born on this day in 1874, what U.S.-born author wrote a quasi-memoir about her experiences in Paris through the eyes of her partner, called “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas”?

Gertrude Stein

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, February 6, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. Who is the only elected official in the U.S. federal government whose duties involve both the Legislative and Executive branches?

2. “I Value Xylophones Like Cows Do Milk.” This is a mnemonic device to help you remember… what?

3. The world’s oldest continually operating baseball field is located in London, Ontario. It shares its name with one of the largest breweries in Canada, which is located nearby. Name that park-slash-brewery.

4. The nutmeg tree produces nutmeg spice, obviously. It also produces what other household spice, which shares its name with a self-defense product and an antique weapon?

5. In 2011, taxidermists at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame used food dye and formaldehyde to preserve the display of a stage outfit worn by whom?

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1 Vice President

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

1 - Vice President 

3 - LaBatt's ??   I believe it was founded in London, Ont.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

4 Mace

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 523

2. Roman numerals 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

5.  Lady Gaga (dress made of meat)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, February 6, 2023
1. Who is the only elected official in the U.S. federal government whose duties involve both the Legislative and Executive branches?

Vice President (currently Kamala Harris)

2. “I Value Xylophones Like Cows Do Milk.” This is a mnemonic device to help you remember… what?

The Roman numerals (I, V, X, L, C, D, M)

3. The world’s oldest continually operating baseball field is located in London, Ontario. It shares its name with one of the largest breweries in Canada, which is located nearby. Name that park-slash-brewery.

Labatt

4. The nutmeg tree produces nutmeg spice, obviously. It also produces what other household spice, which shares its name with a self-defense product and an antique weapon?

Mace

5. In 2011, taxidermists at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame used food dye and formaldehyde to preserve the display of a stage outfit worn by whom?

Lady Gaga (her meat dress)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, February 7, 2023

1. Conchiglie is a type of Italian pasta better known in English as… what?

2. Driven by the hit single “Baby Baby,” the 1991 album “Heart in Motion” ranked No. 10 on Billboard’s year-end album chart, and was the first Christian album ever to go platinum. Name the artist.

3. Only one state in the contiguous United States has an island larger than 250 square miles. Name that state.

4. What children’s book character eats nothing but fruit Monday through Friday, mostly junk food on Saturday, and then nothing but leafy greens on Sunday?

5. Which Greek mythical hero solved the riddle of the Sphinx, after which he married Jocasta, queen of Thebes?

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3 - New York  (Long Island) ?

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

1. Shells

5. Oedipus

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. Amy Grant

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

4. The very hungry caterpillar. 

ReplyQuote
Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Posted by: @karlsson

I vaguely remember it being called The Crunching Munching Caterpillar but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Bonus Question:

Born on this day in 1804... This blacksmith and manufacturer founded one of the largest agriculture and construction equipment manufactures in the world. Who was this founder and what company did he start? 

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

My guess would be John Deere, but that's all it is...a guess

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @chris83

My guess would be John Deere, but that's all it is...a guess

Correct... John Deere founded and started John Deere in 1837.  Famous for their green equipment and their slogan of "Nothing Runs Like a Deere".

ReplyQuote
GoldenRube
(@goldenrube)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 23

Posted by: @mnnavy

2. Amy Grant

My daughter skated to this song in her brief figure skating days. Having heard it every practice (numerous times) and recitals it is forever etched in my brain. Luckly hockey was taking off for girls about that time and she made the switch. 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144

Posted by: @don-adams-wheel-of-justice

Posted by: @karlsson

I vaguely remember it being called The Crunching Munching Caterpillar but I could be wrong.

Crunchy Munchy is about wanted to fly.  Very Hungry is bad/good eating habits.  Very Hungry is correct.

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @goldenrube

Posted by: @mnnavy

2. Amy Grant

My daughter skated to this song in her brief figure skating days. Having heard it every practice (numerous times) and recitals it is forever etched in my brain. Luckly hockey was taking off for girls about that time and she made the switch. 

There’s two Amy Grant songs etched in between my ears.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, February 7, 2023
1. Conchiglie is a type of Italian pasta better known in English as… what?

Shells (or seashells)

2. Driven by the hit single “Baby Baby,” the 1991 album “Heart in Motion” ranked No. 10 on Billboard’s year-end album chart, and was the first Christian album ever to go platinum. Name the artist.

Amy Grant

3. Only one state in the contiguous United States has an island larger than 250 square miles. Name that state.

New York (Long Island)

4. What children’s book character eats nothing but fruit Monday through Friday, mostly junk food on Saturday, and then nothing but leafy greens on Sunday?

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

5. Which Greek mythical hero solved the riddle of the Sphinx, after which he married Jocasta, queen of Thebes?

Oedipus

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, February 8, 2023

1. The 1970 movie “Hercules in New York” marked the feature film debut of what actor and future politician, who was billed under the last name “Strong”?

2. What five-letter brand name, based on the Greek for "dry writing," refers to a printing process involving dry powder and an electrically charged, photoconductor-coated metal plate?

3. Jack Nicklaus won 18 major tournaments, more than any golfer in history. During which two decades did he win most of those championships?

4. The star Betelgeuse is the largest star visible to the naked eye, and the second-brightest star in what constellation?

5. What horse breed’s name stems from its ability to sprint at high speeds for up to 1,320 feet?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

1 - Arnold Schwarzenegger

5 - Quarter Horses 

ReplyQuote

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

3. 1960s and 1970s

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 523

4. Orion

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

2.  Xerox?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, February 8, 2023
1. The 1970 movie “Hercules in New York” marked the feature film debut of what actor and future politician, who was billed under the last name “Strong”?

Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. What five-letter brand name, based on the Greek for "dry writing," refers to a printing process involving dry powder and an electrically charged, photoconductor-coated metal plate?

Xerox

3. Jack Nicklaus won 18 major tournaments, more than any golfer in history. During which two decades did he win most of those championships?

‘60s and ‘70s

4. The star Betelgeuse is the largest star visible to the naked eye, and the second-brightest star in what constellation?

Orion

5. What horse breed’s name stems from its ability to sprint at high speeds for up to 1,320 feet?

Quarter Horse (1,320 feet is a quarter-mile)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, February 9, 2023

Super Stuff: The Super Bowl is this weekend! All answers this round will be something “super.”

Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. What TV character’s catchphrase is “SKINNER!”?

2. What household item, scientifically known as ethyl-2 cyanoacrylate, is also popular with marine aquarium hobbyists for its ability to resist water?

3. What DC comics animated series ran for 13 years under seven different names from 1973 until 1986?

4. What 2001 film takes place in the fictional town of Spurbury, Vermont? A sequel was released in April 2018.

5. Oxford English Dictionary defines it as “a nonsense word, typically expressing excited approbation.” Richard Lederer defines it as “atoning for educability through delicate beauty.” It was defined in a 1964 movie as “something to say when you have nothing to say.” What is that word?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2: Superglue

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

1. Superintendent Chalmers (The Simpsons)

ReplyQuote

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

4. Super Troopers

5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

5. I'm pretty sure it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (sp?).

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

In 4th grade our teacher had us come up with the longest words that started with a certain letter and ended with a certain letter. One was "s" and "s" and I put done "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".  All my classmates thought it was pretty impressive, my teacher did not and would not allow it... lol!!! 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7647
Post on old board: 35040

3. Super Friends. 

It wasn't good. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, February 9, 2023

1. What TV character’s catchphrase is “SKINNER!”?

Superintendent Chalmers (from “The Simpsons”)

2. What household item, scientifically known as ethyl-2 cyanoacrylate, is also popular with marine aquarium hobbyists for its ability to resist water?

Super glue

3. What DC comics animated series ran for 13 years under seven different names from 1973 until 1986?

“Super Friends”

4. What 2001 film takes place in the fictional town of Spurbury, Vermont? A sequel was released in April 2018.

“Super Troopers”

5. Oxford English Dictionary defines it as “a nonsense word, typically expressing excited approbation.” Richard Lederer defines it as “atoning for educability through delicate beauty.” It was defined in a 1964 movie as “something to say when you have nothing to say.” What is that word?

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, February 10, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Between 2000 and today, there have been six films nominated for Oscars in both of the categories “Best Picture” and “Best International Feature Film” (formerly “Best Foreign-Language Film”). Name as many of those six films as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong!

2. Although the actual figures are unconfirmed, what landlocked U.S. city reportedly eats more shrimp than the rest of the country combined?

3. According to the New Testament, the Apostle Paul had his conversion to Christianity while on the road from Jerusalem to what Middle Eastern city?

4. What animal’s tail is believed to exhibit the fastest sustained muscle movement in the animal kingdom—up to 90 movements per second, faster than the wingbeat of a hummingbird?

5. Today is February 10. Happy 23rd birthday to Minneapolis’ own Yara Shahidi. She has played the character Zoey Johnson on “Black-ish” and one of its spin-offs since 2014. Which spin-off is she on?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

4.  Rattlesnake 

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2: Las Vegas

ReplyQuote
Page 49 / 98