146 Likes
29.2 K Views
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3367
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @the-rube

Screen, 3 yd pass play, hurried 3 yd pass play. 

Is Childress on the staff again? 

That first down call was terrible

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7688
Post on old board: 35040

YOU CAN'T MAKE THAT UP. 

Vikings....have a chance?! Whoa. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings defense forced a punt thanks in large part to Slayton dropping a possible TD on 3rd and 15.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12570
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Well, that was an iffy call on the Giants defense.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3977
Post on old board: 9428

That roughing call was ridiculous 

The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Pathetic call. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The refs are now exempt from Vikings fans complaining for the next 2 games. 😉 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

WTF play call is that?!?!?!?!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

4th and 8 and KOC calls a 4 yard out to the TE?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5170

What a play call. They got what they deserve. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Why do you throw it short? Math is hard. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4599
Post on old board: 28736

I am going to guess that wasn't supposed to be the main route but they expected a different coverage and they had no real way to fix it.  That is what happens when you have no time outs.

Oh well, fun season and a lot to build on as long as they revamp the D.  There is a lot of money being wasted on that side of the ball for guys who cannot really keep up anymore. (honestly if if we go back to a 4-3 I would get rid of them but I highly doubt we switch back) Also I think Ed Donatell should maybe look to the USHL with the way his defense was set up.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Vikings now 11-1 in 1 score games 

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 162

That was two 9-8 teams going at it. If all things stayed then same next year no way this is a 13-4 team. 

D is complete garbage.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

Vikings now 11-1 in 1 score games 

Luck has to run out some time 😉

Oh and on top of getting rid of old and slow defenders, the line needs to be fixed.  Bradbury is not a good center when it comes to blocking or calling out protections.  We need someone better.  Imagine the season Cousins might have had if he wasn't murdered every time he drops back to pass.  Get me a center and a guard and make sure O'Neill gets healthy!

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2610
Post on old board: 15478

Wow. They did a deep dive into their double-secret play book for that gotta-have-it-or-go-home 4th and 8.

Kirk was a warrior all season and deserved better. 

I can't even complain about the defense. It's not like they aren't trying. They're just not any good. 

This was expected.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Looking forward to the debate on where Cousins ranks in the NFL.   ( kidding )

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Looking forward to the debate on where Cousins ranks in the NFL.   ( kidding )

Depends on whether or not someone takes into account that MN gave up over 400 yds to the Giants or not. 😉 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5547

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

Check down Cousins, and awful defense lost the game. Time for another QB next season. Also the defense will need to be worked on. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Oh I am sure as soon as I turn on Whine Line we will hear about how Cousins is the reason they lost...I mean sure he had like 7 incompletions and accounted for 3 TDs...he didn't do enough to win so he is a loser.

The D had no answers and I put that 100% on the DC.  I get installing your system but you have to play to the strengths of the players you have.  Hendricks is not a 3-4 LB.  Harrison Smith doesn't have the skillset to really play in the coverages we call.  Hell it took half the season for the D-Line to even start to get it.  Donatell never adapted the D, he basically hoped the other team would screw up more than his team did.  Most of the time that was how it played out.  The Giants knew where to attack and how and beat the D cleanly.  Outside of Zadarias we ran a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel and got burned all over the field because of it.  I love a good 3-4 defense and we have some players that will thrive in it but we need a better coach to scheme.  Get me a Wade Phillips disciple and its game on.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Check down Cousins, and awful defense lost the game. Time for another QB next season. Also the defense will need to be worked on. 

Right on friggin cue.  Good lord Cousins threw 2 TDs and ran one and had no turnovers. (none of it in garbage time either) This is a terrible take.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

But but but Cousins sucks. Or something. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Wonder how many broken Vikings car flags are in the streets by US Bank Stadium.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2610
Post on old board: 15478

Seriously, complaining about your QB is like whining about goaltending after a 0-4 loss. Kirk was one of two reasons this was a fun season - despite the glaringly obvious and expected end.

MikeEruzione11, Greyeagle, bearpaw28 and 1 people reacted
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @gopherfun83

lmao..the defense SUCKED the entire game & your throwing Cousins under the bus too…lol…for his “ability level” Cousins had a GREAT year, got the CRAP knocked out of him in the process & just kept playing & battling. The D…is why they lost, no stops in the first half & like 3 the entire game…absolute horse manure.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I am going to guess that wasn't supposed to be the main route but they expected a different coverage and they had no real way to fix it.  That is what happens when you have no time outs.

Oh well, fun season and a lot to build on as long as they revamp the D.  There is a lot of money being wasted on that side of the ball for guys who cannot really keep up anymore. (honestly if if we go back to a 4-3 I would get rid of them but I highly doubt we switch back) Also I think Ed Donatell should maybe look to the USHL with the way his defense was set up.

I went back to look at the play to see if it was a checkdown. It wasn't. He was looking at TJ the whole way. TJ was 1 on 1 against a smaller corner but couldn't break the tackle otherwise he gets the easy 1st because nobody else was close to him.

But on 4th and 8 with the season on the line, a play call where your primary receiver is short of the sticks is an awful call. And because Lawrence was abusing Bradbury up the middle Kirk didn't have time to even look elsewhere even if he wanted to. 

The Rube reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7037
Post on old board: 18942

That they had that record with an absolute garbage OL was a minor miracle in itself.  I know they're not going to but this team needs to be blown up and rebuilt.  No way they can fix the OL and at least half of their starters on defense in one off-season with their current cap restraints. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Trade Cook.
Pay JJ (see why above needs to happen)
Revamp/rebuild D
Fire Donatel. 
Goodbye, Theilen (see #2 point)

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @the-rube

WTF play call is that?!?!?!?!

Was this the screen to Kirk from Jefferson? Was wondering about that one ? 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

That they had that record with an absolute garbage OL was a minor miracle in itself.  I know they're not going to but this team needs to be blown up and rebuilt.  No way they can fix the OL and at least half of their starters on defense in one off-season with their current cap restraints. 

The OL when healthy was fine. Bradbury was the weakest link IMO. Darrisaw is very good, so is O'Neill. Cleveland is above average and Ingram started as a rookie all season. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they try to draft John Michael Schmitz to take over at C in the first round this year tbh.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5650
Post on old board: 16243

One of the best drinking crowds I've vended a Vikings game for. Top 5 Vikings game at USB. And a 10 Vikings game overall for me since I started in 2008.

Keep your stick on the ice...

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4422

Cut Thielen, Cook, Kendricks, and Harrison. Completely revamp the roster.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Hunter can go with them. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I'd keep Kendricks but like the other ideas.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3928
Post on old board: 12555

They need OL in the 1st or 2nd and load up on D with every other pick.

I don’t know the Hockinson contract but if it is high then I’d be OK to pass on him and look for FA. He did very well today but I thought he had some big drops this season for a pro bowler.

This defense is fugly and that has to be fixed.  I wish we had a shut down DB.  

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Vikings are fine at offensive tackle, definitely need a new center. They need A LOT of help on defense. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

They don't have a 2nd round pick. They traded it for TJ Hockenson.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

I don’t know the Hockinson contract but if it is high then I’d be OK to pass on him and look for FA. He did very well today but I thought he had some big drops this season for a pro bowler.

He's still got one year left on his rookie deal so it's very manageable. IIRC it's like 7-8mil.

My guess is Thielen is done here (unless he's willing to renegotiate for 4-6 mil, he's due almost 20 next year which simply can't be on the cap next season). Wouldn't be shocked to see them any combo of Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, and Danielle Hunter be moved either. I can't decide if I think Dalvin will still be here. My gut says yes.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

PA acting like the thought of firing Ed Donatel is somehow knee jerk or a rush to judgment. For God sakes, the D pretty much SUCKED after the first half of the opener vs the Packers…lmao…some things NEVER CHANGE with this pussy footing Vikings mgmt fluffer ?

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Posted by: @bearpaw28

PA acting like the thought of firing Ed Donatel is somehow knee jerk or a rush to judgment. For God sakes, the D pretty much SUCKED after the first half of the opener vs the Packers…lmao…some things NEVER CHANGE with this pussy footing Vikings mgmt fluffer ?

He hasn't been fired yet?  (Donatelle, not PA, although I'd be ok with both)

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Here is Kurt Warner's breakdown of the final play.

https://twitter.com/kurt13warner/status/1615019673908842498

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1959
Post on old board: 5631

A QB with any sort of pre-snap recognition knows that that ball is going to Osborne for 20 yards. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @bertogliat

He's still got one year left on his rookie deal so it's very manageable. IIRC it's like 7-8mil.

My guess is Thielen is done here (unless he's willing to renegotiate for 4-6 mil, he's due almost 20 next year which simply can't be on the cap next season). Wouldn't be shocked to see them any combo of Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, and Danielle Hunter be moved either. I can't decide if I think Dalvin will still be here. My gut says yes.

Thielen needs to take a cut...he is just not worth that cash.  I think he will cause no team that is a contender will pay him big money at this point. 

The rest should all be gone.  Hunter maybe I can hear arguments for but the rest are overpaid and none of them are likely going to take pay cuts big enough to justify them staying.  Cook especially. (If he does keep him)

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

I know the benchmark in the north is Favre and Rodgers, but it's not that easy to find a elite QB, much less multiple.  I wouldn't rail on Cousins too much.  He's the reason the Vikings didn't win.  He put up 24 points, that's not nothing.  The negative point differential on a 13-4 season is not on Cousins either.  It's hard to win games win you know 30 is the target score.

This team reminds me a ton of the 2018 Bears, the record was not likely indicative of overall capability and it caught up at the worst time.  Different issues, but same result.

Still, only representative from the NFC North in the playoffs and a far cry from the 4th place team who was an embarrassment to all things football.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Is the formatting of this thread messed up for anyone else? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Yep. There are a couple of other threads that are like this too.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4626
Post on old board: 10695

When/if it scrolls to a new page, it'll be fine.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Then lets get it there!!  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5170

Starship Troopers GIF

Page 27 / 28